Start by marking “Beyond Numeracy” as Want to Read:
Beyond Numeracy

Beyond Numeracy

From the author of the national bestseller Innumeracy, a delightful exploration and explanation of mathematical concepts from algebra to zero in easily accessible alphabetical entries. "Paulos . . . does for mathematics what The Joy of Sex did for the boudoir. . . ."--Washington Post Book World. First time in paperback.
Published April 7th 1992 by Vintage (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Numeracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Numeracy

May Ling
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mathematics
This was an interesting trip through the mathematical theory landscape. Paulos introduces a number of fairly complex mathematical concepts with only 4 or 5 pages each. There were a few that I had not heard of. In particular, I think the applications of Russell's paradox offer a number of intriguing applications when applied to the social sciences. He synthesizes the theory behind the paradox into simple English that is very digestible.

I think what I like best is that he deals with all of the lat
Jared Davis
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
***Math hipster review alert***

Enjoyable yet lacking rigor
Tom Owens
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
For those of you who know Paulos's work, this is a follow up book to his New York Times bestselling Innumeracy. Paulos is a mathematician who is passionate about being being "mathematically literate" and his first book covers a lot of the common misconceptions of the average layperson when it comes to mathematics.

His next offering was this little number (if you'll pardon the pun), an "uncommon dictionary of mathematics" to quote the front page. And it is just that, it is a journey through a whol
Andrew Schulz
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting trivia pieces but nothing profound or sweeping about mathematics. The followup book Beyond Numeracy I felt was more enlightening and penetrating.
Anthony Faber
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another reread. More fun stuff that even a non math person will probably find interesting.
Stephen
(NOTE: I didn't actually finish this book.)

Honestly, there's nothing really wrong with "Beyond Numeracy" per se. It's just not for me. Having expected something similar to its predecessor "Innumeracy," I was surprised to find that it's actually a collection of essays on mathematical topics directed at the interested "general reader."

As a Master's level mathematics graduate, it didn't really add anything for me, or at least not enough that I felt it was worth finishing.

That said, Paulos is a dece
Joe
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
I remember enjoying Innumeracy from Paulos, so I expected to enjoy this book as well. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get much from this collection of mini-essays. Most of the chapters describe a mathematical concept, but they don't go in to sufficient depth to add something for someone that is generally familiar with math, and they don't contain enough passion (or even enthusiasm) to draw in people that may be exposed to some of these concepts for the first time. Overall, the collection is OK ...more
Ron Moreland
May 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This book has many, many applications for any student in any math class. It combines humor and numbers, provides relief to those who fear numbers or math, it gives insights into subjects ranging from basic math to Calculus and beyond, and finally it provides details as to why math literacy is so important to have! Whether a person enjoys math and numbers or not this book will be beneficial to read and enjoy!
Fraser Kinnear
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Not a book, but a collection of brief essays in which Paulos describes all sorts of mathematical concepts. I used to have this on my bedsode table and I'd read an essay before ibwent to sleep if I was in the mood. Treat it more like an encyclopedia than anything else, but I'd reach for this before wikipedia, if only because I enjoy his writing style and clarity so much.
Tom Schulte
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
The small, bite-size artciles are insightful, clear and an example of what popularizing mathematics should be like; Fun to read as it was to write. I use selected chapters in my community college lectures.
Ron
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work
The book is broken up into chapters (most less than 5 pages) on various topics. You can pick it up and read a chapter or two without having to worry about a plot line. It took me a couple of months to read through it as I found time.

Must read for a math person.
Bookworm
Oct 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mathphobes
This is a good non-technical book about math. I read it slowly and sometimes had to reread portions to get what Paulos was trying to convey.

Reading a math book isn't something I'd normally do, but it was a good stretch me and I truly found it interesting.
Kaethe Douglas
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, math
Going beyondInnumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences to talk about math and what it means.
Jessica
May 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was too light for mathematicians and too boring for anyone else. My biggest gripe was that the notation was terrible, despite the fact that there was a chapter on notation. There were a few interesting tidbits, but overall, I didn't enjoy it too much.
Sfensore Sfensore
Sep 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
Maybe you have to be a big geek like me to love it, but this book is really about numbers for the non-number-oriented person. It humorously looks at number concepts in everyday living, thereby encouraging a more scientific way of viewing things.
Krista
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was lent to me by a co-worker. I think he thought I was smarter than I actually am, as a lot of this book was too deep in mathematical detail for me to be really interested in it. That being said, I did learn some interesting things about mathematics that I didn't know before.
Eric Parker
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Paulos does a great job of making mathematical principles and ideas make sense to those that don't typically like math. He shows how math applies in many ways not just to the engineer!
Shelly
Aug 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Although I didn't understand all the math in the book it was interesting to look at math from a non-doing perspective.
Matthew
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
What we don't understand will hurt us. Math is in a sorry state here.
Beth639
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-science
This is an enjoyable read and a good reference when I want a clear, not too mathy explanation for a student
Gert
May 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a bit too much difference in level between the topics. but as always, entertaining and witty.
Carl Stevens
Sep 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Novelists need to know the numbers.
Heather
May 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great book that you can just open up to any page and read.
Barry
Apr 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Making the numbers work for you
Gnuehc Ecnerwal
Oct 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
mind expanding.
Heidi
Jan 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Lots of math info for all you math nuts out there.
Andrew Brown
Feb 09, 2010
Bob
May 19, 2014

• The Mathematical Tourist: New & Updated Snapshots of Modern Mathematics
  • The Mathematical Universe: An Alphabetical Journey Through the Great Proofs, Problems, and Personalities
  • Mathematics: The Loss of Certainty
  • Mathematics for the Million: How to Master the Magic of Numbers
  • Four Colors Suffice: How the Map Problem Was Solved
  • The Magical Maze
  • A Tour of the Calculus
  • In Code: A Mathematical Journey
  • Mathematics
  • The Equation That Couldn't Be Solved: How Mathematical Genius Discovered the Language of Symmetry
  • The Science of Everyday Life
  • Why The Toast Always Lands Butter Side Down
  • Fuzzy Thinking: The New Science of Fuzzy Logic
  • Science Friction: Where the Known Meets the Unknown
  • Induction and Analogy in Mathematics
  • Pendulum: Leon Foucault and the Triumph of Science
  • Archimedes' Revenge: The Joys and Perils of Mathematics
  • A History of Mathematics
“I sometimes think it would be beneficial if people thought of each other as “historical factorials.” Thus, (Myrtle!) would be understood not just as present-day Myrtle but as the product of all her past experiences.” 3 likes
“The number [i]i[/i] is evidence that much real progress can result from the positing of imaginary entities. Theologians who have built elaborate systems on much flimsier analogies should perhaps take heart.” 0 likes