Start by marking “Cicada Spring” as Want to Read:
Cicada Spring

Read Book

Cicada Spring

A brutal sexual assault, a serial killer, and a shocking accusation rock the small New England town of Heartsridge, Massachusetts. . .

On a warm May evening in the spring of 1979, the people of Heartsridge, Massachusetts, are living the American dream. Families are gathered for barbecues. Kids are playing in front yards. Gardens are being kept. Meanwhile, Kara Price
Published March 23rd 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 18th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Cicada Spring, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cicada Spring

Start your review of Cicada Spring
Melinda
Jun 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Galacar certainly impresses with his debut novel. I was sucked in from the first page, trust me you won't be able to put this book down.

The narrative is exciting, plenty of action with loads of uneasiness. The fast pace undoubtably holds your attention and interest. Multiple story lines intersect joining together with great impact. Riveting until the turn of the last page. Galacar demonstrates competence in handling fragile subject matter (rape). He expertly explores the aftermath bo
Lisa
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book that was set on a small town in 1979. a 15 year old girl is raped(no details). She says it is the town's beloved mayor and it is about to tear this small town apart.

….did you know Brood IV cicadas emerge from underground every 17 years? I never knew that….

♥ Marlene♥
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Already finished this book. Having lots of pain and not being able to sleep did help me finish it so quickly. I am also participating in a Read a Thon which means me and other bookworms try to read more than normal which in my case means also reading during the day. I have been reading 7 books in the last 11 days so a last push to reach my reading goal of 103 books.I have read 102 as of now.

Anyway I can't wait for this author's next read. I very much enjoyed this book as I did Gilchr
Ankit Garg
The book is easy and fun to read. And there are a lot of meaningful, touching quotes (I have highlighted more than 20 of those myself)!

The story itself is gripping, and keeps one yearning to know what follows next. This is true for 2/3rd of the book. Sadly, the ending is predictable to such an extent that I was sure there'll be one last twist up the author's sleeve, only to be disappointed not to be caught off-guard. (Only reason I gave it 3 and not 4 stars).

Verdict: Recommended.
gj indieBRAG
We are proud to announce that CICADA SPRING: A NOVEL by Christian Galacar is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Barbara Elsborg
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this. I found it very readable and horribly possible. Yes, it did veer off into - what the heck - a couple of times but compared to some I've read recently, this is one I'd recc - provided you can cope with violence and not just to people!
Izrael
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got in contact with the author, Christian Galacar, and I was given the book in exchange of an honest review.

The pain and suffering Kara went through after confessing her rape was undeniably great as many seemed to doubt her confession. She was labelled as a liar who wanted attention from all the lies she said. Her parents were in denial when she first professed made it difficult for her as they were someone she found comfort from. The aftermath of the accident made her uncomfortable to be aro
Jo
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another good one to round out my weekend. I really loved the character development in this one against the backdrop of a small town. I don't know why small town mysteries fascinate me. I felt like the emotions of the characters were genuine, the topic of rape handled sensitively.
Elke
I love those 'accidental' readings that turn out to be great book, as was the case with this
'Cicada Spring'. I chose to read this one just now because it perfectly fit into my season reading challenge as a story that takes place in spring. I was rewarded with a great character-driven story that sucked me in right from the beginning. All characters were described with such depth that you could easily envision them standing right in front of you (though I would have preferred not to with some of
Mary Friedman
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like the song of the cicada in the title, this story started on page 1 calling me louder and louder to read the next page...and then the next and the next.

I read this novel over the course of a weekend, stopping only to eat, sleep, bathe, attend church, and a few other family obligations that had to be attended to. I couldn't wait to tie Bill Sexton to Harry Bennett...then I had to keep reading to see how it would all play out. I eagerly continued reading in search of these answers all while
Ashok
Jun 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author has sent me a free soft copy of this book for a free unbiased review.
Deeply disturbing story, narrated with great empathy in a truly Christian manner by Christian Galacar. The story continued to haunt me long after I finished it (2 sittings only).
Marta
May 05, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-give-up
That's it, I'm done reading bad books to the end only because I should finish everything. I had enough patience for 40% and the further, the worse it gets.
Coco.V
Oct 25, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebie
🎁 FREE on Amazon today (6/7/2019)! 🎁
Lynda Kelly
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I've spent 5 days wading my way through this and tonight I'm calling it a day. It started off SO well and had no mistakes at all and then it's like the editor took a hike once we got 26% in and after that there were loads. They just wore me down altogether so I had to jack it in at 58% !!
Firstly, speechmarks were suddenly missing on one page, then we had this-"...didn't need to involve him in this in anyway", we lost the from a sentence (more than once), used discrete and not discreet, jea
Marci
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW!!! I LOVED THIS BOOK! I won this book in a goodreads giveaway and am so glad I did. I started this book yesterday and could NOT put it down. There were so many twists and turns...from a rape to a serial killer to a corrupt mayor. I loved so many of the characters and hated others. I WILL read more from this author.
Hana
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"The bets we dare to make when the odds are against us are what define us. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But that’s life. We can’t always protect ourselves. And as long as you do your honest best with what you have, everything else is just noise.”
Erica Schuhlein
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Book

I loved it. I picked it up and could not put it down. This book is intriguing and page by page have you wondering what s going to happen all the way to the end.
Mel Ann
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpected twist and turns.

Even in the small town of Heartsridge, no one is immune to the ugliness of the world. The worst part of small town living is that when something of this level happens, they protect their own. Can you be unbiased when the accusations of a teenaged girl are against the all powerful, apparent saintly, mayor?

Sheriff Gaines is tested to the limit with this monstrous case and nothing is turning up in Kara Prices' favor. At the tender age of fifteen, she has alre
Cheryl
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Life was easier for folks when they believed monsters were only the children of imagination, not walking among them in the flesh."

This book is set in small town Heartsridge, Massachusetts in 1979. It is a tale of rape, of a serial killer, and of small town mentality.

I read this author's second book GILCHRIST, an excellent horror novel, and I'm glad that I looked and found this first novel. It's a different genre but still pretty horrific.

Readers find out who
Carolyn Newcott
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous Read

Excellent story that kept me interested from page one. Towards the end I couldn't put the book down. I will look for this author's next book!
Sue
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner

The connection between the characters was very engaging, and the plot's twists and turns were intriguing making it hard to not read this in one sitting.
WordsAPlenty
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Cicada Spring: A Novel is a B.R.A.G. Medallion Honoree.

Cicada Spring: A Novel is a moving book about a small town in which the lives of a serial killer, a corrupt mayor, a devastated family and a young girl all intersect.

As with most evil people, Mayor Harry Gaines has two faces - a loving respected community man and a vile evil selfish
Tulay
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, excellent book.

Two evils in a small town, raised by evil mothers. Maybe they inherited the gene. Debut novel, thought provoking, interesting and engaging story. But one very disturbing act, this pages will make cat lovers sick. It was written to make us how evil this character is.
Pam Resner
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeps you on the edge of of your seat

Great book! Amazing insight into human behavior and how our perceptions affect the decisions we make; right or wrong. The author manages to portray his characters so realistically it makes you uncomfortable, as you begin to wonder how you would react in a similar situation. Would you choose to look deeper or follow the crowd?
Sonja Randall
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Being raped must be one of the worst things to happen to anybody, being called a liar on top of this nightmare must be hell! Evil is all around us and often in the people you least expect it from, luckily all ends well.
Lonnie lee shieds
Spellbinding

Christian galacar has written a crime novel deserving of a five star rating. I could not put it down. The twists and turns in this novel kept me on the edge of my seat through the entire read.
❤ArtfullySinful❤
Gone and forgotten...
Why did he do this to me? Did I do something wrong?
Somebody save me. I'm drowning.

Kara Price is merely 15 at the time of the brutal and savage attack and rape, orchestrated by the beloved Harry Bennett. A man with conviction in his eyes, a mask to the true monster lurking in the shadows of his soul, he was the Mayor of small town of Heartsridge. He covered up her accusations with the claim she was seeking attention,. and what better way to earn it then accusing him? His
Tony Parsons
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/7/1979, Heartsridge, MA. What happened to Kara Price (15)?
Mayor Harry Bennett (50+, trucking buss.) came to see Eddie Corbett (55+).
He needed a favor.
The Heartsridge Spring Festival 30th. anniversary was coming up.
Harry didn’t leave him much option.
David Price (husband/father) had called Sheriff Calvin Lee Gaines (Heartsridge).
Ellie Price (wife/mother, American Mutual Insurance admin. asst.) was attending to their daughter Kara Price who had been attacked/raped.
Regina
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
** Review of Audio Format **

Surprisingly Good and Relevant

From the first moments of the book, I was drawn in and rooting for Kara Price. The book opens on Kara stumbling home after being attacked, beaten and raped. Her decisions throughout the book were sound and showed a maturity beyond her years. This picture of small town America is not a pretty one. It demonstrates how selfish and petty people are and how an escalation of commitment can ruin lives. From the Sherriff w
Kira FlowerChild
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, suspense
Trigger warning: This book deals extensively with rape and there is also a scene where an animal is deliberately and cruelly killed.

As Christopher Galacar says at the beginning of this novel, "As adults, we find solace in the knowledge that monsters do not exist. This is true because it’s what we choose to believe. That is the privilege of the practiced mind. But the terrifying reality is that monsters are real. They do exist. They are us. And that is more horrifying than anything I ever imagi

• Under the Pines
  • Conjesero
  • Powder Burn  (Burn with Sam Blackett, #1)
  • Stalking Jack: The Hunt Begins... (Madeline Donovan #1)
  • The Pied Piper of the Undead
  • The Devil's Colony
  • Wanton Regard
  • Dead Leaves
  • White Ghost (Graham Gage #4)
  • Stained
  • City of Ghosts
  • Paying for It (Gus Dury, #1)
  • Antler Dust (The Allison Coil Mystery Series Book 1)
  • The Jade Rabbit
  • Reservations (A Lola Wicks Mystery)
  • Safe Harbor (A Pat Tierney Mystery, #1)
  • Goddess of the Moon (Diana Racine #2)
  • Something Yellow
Christian Galacar grew up in Ipswich, Massachusetts, a small suburb north of Boston. He attended the University of Massachusetts Amherst, where he received a BBA degree in Finance. Although interested in writing fiction from a young age, it wasn't until 2012—and realizing the banking industry wasn't all that fun—that he decided to pursue it as a career.

He still resides in Massachusetts with his w
“Does anyone ever? Just take the leap and hope for the best. The bets we dare to make when the odds are against us are what define us. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. But that’s life. We can’t always protect ourselves. And as long as you do your honest best with what you have, everything else is just noise.” 2 likes
“could not in good conscience take the sole accusation of a fifteen-year-old as absolute truth right out of the gate.” 0 likes