Start by marking “Night Shade (Dreamweaver, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Shade (Dreamweaver, #1)

Night Shade

(Dreamweaver #1)

"I have special coping mechanisms for the times I need to open the front door. They’re even often successful..."

Zoe Lydon knows there's often nothing logical or rational about fear. It doesn't change the fact that she's too terrified to step outside her own house, however.

What Zoe doesn't realise is that she's also a dreamweaver - able to access other people's subconscio
Published March 31st 2015

To ask other readers questions about Night Shade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shade

NancyHelen
Oct 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-kindle, fantasy
Although I only gave 3 stars to this book, it was actually more like 3.5. The story is of Zoe, an agoraphobic for the past 18 months, who is startled by an old man whom she has never met before collapsing and dying on her front step. Soon afterwards, she notices some very strange, eerily realistic dreams. Before long she realises that she's actually entering other people's dreams, although most of the time when she sleeps she finds herself in a strange dreamland where there is unrest, and corrup ...more
Tracey
4 Stars. A startlingly complex tale. So different from other books in the paranormal genre. ♡ every word.
Tracy
This book was a fresh idea. And I particularly found it very intriguing as someone who always remember their dreams, always dreams in color and has lucid dreams on a regular basis. The Dreamlands world that has been created was interesting with all the different characters and the mares. I enjoyed it.
Maggie
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindleunlimited
I haven’t had nothing but good things to say about a book in awhile, and it’s refreshing to be in that position again. Original concept, well written - I thoroughly enjoyed it and can recommend this one to others.
Sara Secora
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An agoraphobic woman unknowingly treks into the role of a dreamweaver, and embarks on a heroine filled adventure in the Dreamland's. What a fantastic read! I really enjoyed Zoe's personal growth and the interesting mix of characters; from Esme to Lilith to Dante - they each had something unique about their story that I enjoyed.

One of the moments that held the most impact for me was the truth behind the Castle - what a heart-wrenching twist that was. The overall pacing of the story was great and
Anna
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This is my favorite book of the month so far! Okay, yes, so it's only December 3. But I just finished a novella by Ilona Andrews, and this book trumped it by a long shot.

Why? First of all, the protagonist was so delightfully broken. I was intrigued from the first chapter, when we learn that she's such a supreme agoraphobic that she has problems even opening the front door to let her mother in.

Next, we enter a dream world, an idea that is pretty overdone in fiction. But Harper managed to put such
Bec Laidlaw
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
The concept behind this novel has so much potential but I feel the writing let it down. It seemed rushed, lacked emotive/destructive language, but then sometimes it was as though the author randomly decided to whip out the thesaurus and change a few random words here and there. It seems like the author did not take the time to build relationships between characters and it felt like she was telling us what's happening rather than showing. All in all it was a quick and easy read and a fun idea to ...more
JadeShea
Night Shade is about Zoe finding a dead man at her front door. Not only that, but she is also having very strange dreams, that at first she thinks are just normal dreams, then she comes to realize that they aren't normal at all.

She enters a new world and uncovers a lot of secrets she never knew about until now. And things aren't looking so good for her when she knows she is in danger.

This book was a great start to this series. It had very interesting characters, and a very intriguing story lin
Katrina Bowlin-MacKenzie
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book started out a bit slow, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. I have enjoyed some of Helen's other series very much and decided to try her older books. I love this book, the whole idea of the Dreamweaver is great and I just started on the second book in the series.
I often have strange, lucid, dreams so this book really hit home for me. I absolutely loved it.
Ramona Lazar
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love Helen Harper, I really do. I think she doesn't receive the praise she should but I hope things will change for her. She is very good. And this is by far her best book. Amazing!
Relina Skye
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Night Shade" is the first book in the "Dreamweaver" trilogy by Helen Harper. Zoe Lydon lives in a relatively normal world. There are no obvious supernatural category citizens mixed in with humans. However, when each and every single person goes to sleep, that is not always the case. When most people go sleep they have normal dreams, nightmares, and night terrors. But for a special couple of thousand in each time zone, they travel to the Dreamlands. Most travelers enter the Dreamlands in late ch ...more
Vintagebooklvr
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
3 1/2 stars.

Good world building in the Dreamlands. Why some of the ideas are similar to other books dealing with dreams and people in them there are also some unique ideas as well. I liked how Zoe begin to grow as a character but even though she is powerful it doesn't mean she knows everything and makes some mistakes, even at the end.

While the storyline continues this can also be read as a self-contained book. Basically, she defeats one enemy but there is a greater one still out there. However,
Grace
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a surprisingly great book and I’m pretty excited to continue onto the second. I’d been in a reading funk for a while and to read something as well written and imaginative as Night Shade was a welcome relief. It’s a bit of a different take on the alternate reality/dreamworld genre which won’t disappoint. I’d recommmend this book for most people as it has elements of urban fantasy, crime and mystery which would appeal. It does have a hint at romance, but honestly the “lack” of romance doe ...more
Robin
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved it!

The story was unique and kept my interest from the very beginning. It was hard to understand the main characters phobia of leaving her house because there wasn’t a reason like you thought there would be however when i kept reading the author spun a tale worthy of any readers attention. Bravo 👏🏽 to the author for bringing us great character building. Getting the second book now!
Vashon Stucker
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought 'Night Shade' by Helen Harper was great overall! Zoe was an awesome first person character to follow. It was a little bit exhausting trying to imagine never getting a break between sleep and awake time, but the book felt very original and honest. I recommend the book to any that thinks the topic has any interest to them.
Natalie panda eyes
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own, challenges
Slow start in Night shade with a lot of misunderstandings. I liked the realness in Zoe’s struggle and the creativity of the otherworld. Not sure I liked how childish, naïve and chaotic she was. Favorite character was Dante. Slow burn, at least I hope so. A little serious, a little quirky but the story is solid and I’ll be reading the next one.
Camilla
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit of a more serious story for Harper, but exciting nonetheless. So there aren't fairies in this one, but who needs it when you have a dream walker with the power to manipulate the realities of anyone on the earth? Too bad there's a sinister organization whose power pervades both the dreaming and waking world...
Breann
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable Read

So I’ve been playing a bit of Overwatch (Jesus H I’m a dork) and I picture Dante as the McCree character but with less cowboy. Im starting to think my imagination is broken.

Also, I’m firmly entrenched in Helen Harper land. She tells a good tale. Better than a trained monkey, I am, in fact, entertained.
Laura Frith
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Helen Harper

Great storyline great characters! Another fantastic read by Helen Harper. Her stories have really well developed leads both male and female. Dreamland what a good choice for this fantasy.
Miss Fleur V Morris
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Quite psychological

I enjoy Helen Harper's writing, this was the second time I tried reading this book. It's not the light read I really want, but I finished it. Will try book two as well.
Nicola
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Competently written outing from an experienced author.

Personally, it didn't do it for me as it lacked the humour or emotion evident in her other series. I didn't dislike it but I wouldn't care to read more in this series.

3 stars.
Tammie Gowen
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed

Have enjoyed very much
Have always had lucid dreams so I thought I would read and see how it was used in a romance book
Watergirl
Apr 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story. Interesting premise. Gaping plot holes notwithstanding.
Jenny Koch
Interesting concept - I might follow up with the next book in the series but I don't feel any urgency.
Ann Alton
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Slow start

Slow to start but ultimately a fun read, with a great premise. I will definitely pick up the next in the series.
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Antonia
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not groundbreaking, but definitely enjoyable. Sometimes, you don't want to read groundbreaking, though, and this hit the spot for me.
Erin Tietz
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great plot & suspense

Note: I waited until I read the whole trilogy before reviewing. Light spoilers lie ahead.

There are only a couple things about this series that I did not care for. And they're kind of minor anyways. First, I never got a super clear vision of what the MC looked like. There was plenty about how good looking the main male character was though. Second, there were a few minor details not hashed out, or that weren't quite realistic enough, like *spoiler alert* what happened wi
Nalou
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
5 stars

Since I've started reading books from Helen Harper, I've been hooked. Sure, there are a few errors that even as a non-English native I can spot, but that doesn't bother me much as they remain sparse. It might also be that I got used to the way Harper writes, which makes my reading go really smoothly.

Yet again, Harper sets another world and it was really strange at first because Zoe is quite different from Ivy (Lazy Girl's Guide to Magic series) and Mack (Blood Destiny series). Obviously,
Rosalind Bath
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Night shade

Honestly! I wasn't sure at first... Then I couldn't put it down and have enjoyed the read. Totally recommend this book.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 17, 2015 11:37AM

• The Book of Shade
  • Super Dark 2 (Super Dark, #2)
  • Freakshow
  • A Place Beyond (The Danaan Trilogy, #3)
  • The Dark Water (The Well's End, #2)
  • The One Place (The One Series, #1)
  • The Master of Misrule (The Game of Triumphs, #2)
  • The Locket (The Locket, #1)
  • Creature of Habit: Book Two
  • The Binding (Chronicles of Azaria, #1)
  • Ties That Bind (The Veil, #5)
  • Endless (Shadowlands, #3)
  • Strange Trouble (Rune Alexander #3)
  • Sweet Chaos (Kali Sweet, #2)
  • Half Past the Witching Hour (Paranormal Personnel Saga, #3)
  • Ravencliffe (Blythewood, #2)
  • Fake (A Pretty Pill, #2)
  • Dear Mr. Ted

Dreamweaver (3 books)
  • Night Terrors (Dreamweaver, #2)
  • Night Lights (Dreamweaver, #3)
“Dreams are true while they last, and do we not live in dreams? Alfred Lord Tennyson” 0 likes