Start by marking “Winning Through Intimidation” as Want to Read:
Winning Through Intimidation

Winning Through Intimidation

If you've ever found yourself coming out on the short end of the stick, you'll appreciate the rewards that can be yours when you take the initiative in every area of your life. Written by the bestselling author of MILLION DOLLAR HABITS, this business gem, explains in candid terms what intimidation is, why you become intimidated and how you can avoid the mental lapses that ...more
Published November 12th 1984 by Fawcett Books (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Winning Through Intimidation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winning Through Intimidation

Tripleguess
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have to say, I learned a lot from this book, especially about that intangible yet highly relevant person-to-person tactic known as intimidation.

I don't agree with every single little thing he said, but he is on the money in this: people (with very few exceptions) are out to get you. They may be up front about it (Type Number One), they may try to be very nice about it and act so sorry once it's over (Type Number Three), or -- most commonly -- they'll assure you of their honesty and virtue and
Keenan Johnston
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is about the theory of intimidation, and the measures one can take to avoid being intimidated in negotiations. I didn't realize Ringer's book focalized on real estate negotiating, but his methods are cross functional to other situations. Ringer contends that the results a person obtains are inversely proportionate to the degree to which he is intimidated. This book is about the methods Ringer administers to essentially trade places with the principal. Instead of being the middle school ...more
Derek
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book if you want to learn about the dynamics behind business negotiations.

The author starts out as a nobody selling real estate, but quickly hops to the big leagues. (This is actually one of the principles in the book - you don't need to "climb the ladder" to get to the top of most fields. Just act as if you have already reached the top and most can't tell the difference.)

One of the ideas that made the biggest impression on me is positioning. In the beginning of the book the auth
Derek Lewis
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A must-read for any business professional.

The title is accurate, but it could also have been "Winning Through NOT Being Intimidated."

To be candid, I was intimidated myself by the title. By nature, I am a congenial guy. My approach with new clients in my business is to establish a personal rapport while earning their respect for my experience and expertise as a business book ghostwriter.

But I've lost thousands of dollars and incurred far too much stress because of what I've allowed some of my pas
Jesus Lopez
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very good book!!!! It is original and it is one of the books that I will have to read again becuase I have currenly read as a way to improve my english skills.
I hope that I will have enough self-discipline to prepare me and understand the rules of my work which let me leapfrog to another level.
I have seen that I have been intinimated during my life by "problems" that they were not really problems.
I never finish to learn but I just hope that in my time living in UK I get to be enough mature to so
Geldar
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Despite what Ringer told me to think about this book, I don't really think it had too much to say about "life in general." Sure, the theories apply, but almost the entire book is composed of personal anecdotes, which, though, interesting, are not as illustrative as they are claimed to be. It would have been better if there were more than 2 chapters or so on the theory. A few of the 20 chapters about specific things that he encountered could have been better spent. Not a bad book though.
Chris
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Most of the lessons in this book I ended up learning the hard way, but having read them here helped me avoid making the same mistake twice. Short read and just a great, great book about how to avoid getting your chips taken from you.
Daniel Taylor
Even though business (and life) is a game, people will try to screw you. With his No BS reality-formed philosophy, Ringer shows you how to succeed without being intimidated.
Michael David
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winning Through Intimidation is Ringer’s first “self-help” book. I put “self-help” in quotes because it’s not the typical self-help book peddled by people like Norman Vincent Peale or Dale Carnegie. In fact, it’s different in that in contrast with the “general” selling techniques with Carnegie’s books, Ringer provides both his thought process and specific examples to show the reader that selling something in the real world is closer to Glengarry Glen Ross rather than a walk in the park.

I rank t
Reid
Jun 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The original title of this book, A Brutal Experiment in Business Reality, was actually more descriptive of its contents. Author Robert J. Ringer published this book during the early 1970s when American society was undergoing a period of chronic introspection, and Ringer chose to shatter the typical success myths about "hard work" and "determination." He writes about a rogues' gallery of characters who are determined to use all manner of tricks to cheat him out of his hard-earned commission for b ...more
Tim Malone
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this at a young age, before I really got started in my business career. It helped tremendously. Don't be fooled by the title. It all about being prepared - not intimidation. Here's a review I wrote early on when I first started blogging:

One of my favorite books from the seventies is Winning Through Intimidation by Robert J Ringer. I also liked his other bestseller, Looking Out for #1. If you have read the books you know that they do not endorse selfishness or thoughtlessness towards other
Matthew
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
By far the funniest book on business and the Commercial Real Estate industry, and one of the snappiest, most cynical, pragmatic, unvarnished looks at success, ever.

Ringer pulls off an incredible task by stripping away all pretense, anything remotely smelling of academic theory, and produces a roller coaster of a ride, a cautionary tale of those who would "steal your hard earned chips," and an amazing understanding of human nature as petty, cruel, weak, viciously duplicitous, and above all greedy
Briana
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
No, this isn't a book about how to use intimidation to your advantage. Well, not in the way you think. Rather, this book teaches you how to be successful despite the use of intimidation against you at every turn.

The author started out in the real estate business several decades ago. Like most of us, he was naive to the motivations and politics behind the people he worked with. Once he started to recognize the underlying motivations of his clients and coworkers, he could more easily identify tac
Amit Kumar
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Probably one of the best book for Early Stage Managers, It has helped me immensely ever since i got my hands on this book in 2002, The Strategies mentioned inthe book around 15 years back are too much relevant today, or i would rather say, the book was meant for 2017 .

A Profound experience from someone who has seen life from close quarters , A must read for every student out of the college...
Oliver
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As many people have said, this is more a book on how to NOT get intimidated.

This book is about getting paid, not about closing.
You will find some value in this book if you have to be paid by any person, be it a traditional boss or clients (then even more so, in my experience.)
Carlos DaSilva
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Learn the basic principles - learn how to react to various situations.
Sandyssandersatt.Net
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Bought the 1973 paperback from a Library sale box after noting it was 9 months #1 NYT Bestseller.

Ok. So i read many reviews from folks who take the business view that what he describes and recommends is mandatory knowledge for engaging in the business world. I totally agree, but for diametrically different reasons. I also learned to hard way, thinking i should be as THEIR schools teach us to be: ethical, honest and cooperative with people in life. But the truth of the business world is as Ringer
Aaron Carroll
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Miguel Braga
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The only reason I give 4 stars instead of 5, is because I've found a little boring, too much history - but far as I know based on REAL LIFE author's experience, not a "pink happy flower self help book".

Beside that, this book IS THE REAL DEAL. Not a happy colorful fluffy self-help book.

I love Robert Ringer another books because I've found the other ones much more direct and pratical advice. I've found Winning Through Intimidation a more autobiographical book with real solid advice, but for me, t
Jason
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is unlike any book on success I've ever read. Don't let the title fool you, it's not about bullying or lying your way to the top. It's about posture. The examples are entertaining and the illustrations made me literally LOL (and I never LOL).

If you are a free-market capitalist like me, then you'll appreciate the premise of this book, which is that all good things come from the inherent human selfishness of the individual's desire to better his position.
jared ackerman
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I can't wait to read his other books!! He lays out a very simple yet practical way to identify people who will screw you over in getting YOUR money after you've earned it. It's mind. Losing to see how he went used the Leap Frog Method to bounce himself to almost one million dollars in commissions in just two years.
Vasilis d1af Apostolou
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Unlike what the title suggests, this is not a book about bullying others to win in business. It's about standing your ground and getting paid what you deserve. Read this if you have your own business or plan on starting one.
Katherine
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly thought-provoking. Ringer makes excellent, solid arguments for managing your "posture." It is not about how to bully; it's about how to stay two steps ahead of bullies. This is the best real estate business book I have ever read. Highly recommended!
B
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sound, actionable advice.
Dany Escobar
Life revealing.
Jonathan
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
I might sum it up as..."keep on your opponents with a full court press"
Mark Bunch
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you are in the commercial real estate industry-you got to read this one. The classic tale of the large multifamily broker and how he works to poise himself to get paid the big fee.
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business, non-fiction
I enjoyed very little in this book, unfortunately. The specific advice repeated throughout has largely become outdated, as the first 100 pages are really no longer relevant for real estate brokers. So much of the advice given, today, has either become common knowledge to real estate professionals, or is basically irrelevant (using certified mail to document your level of involvement in a deal, for example).

On the other hand, I definitely appreciate the large overarching idea, which I found to b
Shashwat Singh
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very solid book. Practical sales and business advice that will help you tremendously when negotiating deals, dealing with clients, or getting paid. A different perspective from other books, as this deals with the sometimes harsh reality of doing business while other books often don't mention that. The book is easy to read as well and a pleasure to read.

This book helps you see when another party is trying to "intimidate" you, as well as the various types of people you'll do business with.

RC
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Get what you deserve

I took away very important information about keeping on top of defending yourself in the business world no matter what. To play smart and see the reality of things. To let no one intimidate you from what you deserve. I will use these lessons for the rest of my life!
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Business self help. [s] 4 12 Mar 13, 2018 09:30PM

• Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • Smart Trust: How People, Companies, and Countries Are Prospering from High Trust in a Low Trust World
  • No B.S. Price Strategy: The Ultimate No Holds Barred Kick Butt Take No Prisoner Guide to Profits, Power, and Prosperity
  • Primary Greatness: The 12 Levers of Success
  • Stop Playing Safe: Rethink Risk, Unlock the Power of Courage, Achieve Outstanding Success
  • The Awakening Course: The Secret to Solving All Problems
  • Become a Key Person of Influence: The 5 Step Sequence to Becoming One of the Most Highly Valued and Highly Paid People in Your Industry
  • The Success System That Never Fails
  • Never Too Late To Be Great: The Power of Thinking Long
  • Megatrends: Ten New Directions Transforming Our Lives
  • Marketing Outrageously: How to Crank Up Your Revenue by Staggering Amounts
  • Advanced Selling Strategies: The Proven System of Sales Ideas, Methods, and Techniques Used by Top Salespeople
  • Be My Guest
  • Work with Me: The 8 Blind Spots Between Men and Women in Business
  • The Tao of Twitter: Changing Your Life and Business 140 Characters at a Time
  • The Laws of Subtraction: Six Simple Rules for Winning in the Age of Excess Everything
  • Idea Stormers: How to Lead and Inspire Creative Breakthroughs
  • Life in Half a Second: How to Achieve Success Before It's Too Late
“Every person has the inherent right to "self-proclaim"--to announce, at any time he chooses, that he is on any level he chooses to be on.” 5 likes