Start by marking “Blue Hat, Green Hat” as Want to Read:
Blue Hat, Green Hat

Blue Hat, Green Hat

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  8,943 Ratings  ·  327 Reviews
Three earnest animals and one misguided turkey learn colors and clothes in this Sandra Boynton classic.

Serious silliness for all ages. Artist Sandra Boynton is back and better than ever with completely redrawn versions of her multi-million selling board books. These whimsical and hilarious books, featuring nontraditional texts and her famous animal characters, have been pr
Board Book, 14 pages
Published October 11th 1984 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Blue Hat, Green Hat, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Pooja
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
Oh Wow! The way she has written 'OOPS!' :D :D
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The problems we all face when picking out what to wear! Young children will enjoy this funny look at trying to find just the right clothes.
Karl
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Once my kid was old enough to get the joke, he literally fell off the bed laughing.
Tara
May 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: board-books
Not my favorite Boynton book (and I am a HUGE fan) but I love how this book grows with your child. First you can just read the simple words. Then you can point out the colors. Then you can talk about what kind of animals are in the pictures. Then you can describe on what part of the body each animal is wearing the items of clothing.

The boy thinks the last page is hilarious, even though he's much too young to actually get the humor. I'm still not sure what he's laughing at.
Ellary
Mar 26, 2014 rated it liked it
It's cute; I'll give it that. But something in me cannot help but be offended by the sheer stupidity of the Turkey character. As an avid learner of dressing oneself, I was unamused.
Elise Cohen
"A wonderful little book for toddlers and also for the learning disabled. Not only is the dialogue very brief, but the portrayal of a turkey who cannot dress himself properly according to common sense or general social rules hits a chord with those who have trouble assessing social relationships. To toddlers, it's just funny and cute to see a turkey who can't figure out that his shoes go on his feet and that when jumping in the pool he shouldn't be fully dressed in street clothes."
Stacy
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
It was amazing because it was the first book that my son laughed (his head off) at and was interested in.
Valerie
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Valerie by: Karanina
Shelves: for-the-boys
I actually think Karanina is the first person I read this book over and over to. It is a fantastic read aloud, short and goofy.
Laura G
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of our favorites from years gone by. Giving it to friends for a baby shower, so I re-read it to my "kids" who just arrived home from college. #oldtimes!
Ashley
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books for new readers! The words are short, but the plot is funny! Most early phonics books are so boring. This book, and many others of Boynton’s books, are easy enough for young kids to read aloud and fun enough for them to want to read aloud!
Amber Goebel
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit
I love Sandra Boynton books! Her animal characters are always so cute and funny and her stories make children and adults alike laugh out loud. Blue Hat, Green Hat fits the Boynton mold that I have come to know and love. This board book is perfect for ages 2-4. It features an elephant, bear, moose, and turkey. On each two page spread, the animals are trying on articles of clothing, each wearing a different color. For instance, the elephant wears a blue hat, the moose wears a green hat, the bear w ...more
Jazmine Shoup
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-picture-books
Blue Hat, Green Hat is a great children's picture book, written and illustrated by Sandra Boynton. The book is a great pattern book for young children. The book shows the pattern of different animals wearing the same article of clothing in a different color, and then how the last animal in the sequence messes up the pattern and wears the article of clothing in the wrong way. It is a simple and silly book that teaches a great lesson to a young reader about patterns. The illustrations were great, ...more
Sarah Sammis
Apr 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
Harriet is a bit of a prop comedienne. Her favorite joke involves putting something unlikely on her head and asking innocently, "Hat?" So when she saw Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton at the library, she had to check it out.

With many of Boynton's books, there is an animal who just doesn't fit in. In the case of Blue Hat, Green Hat, that animal is a turkey. All the other animals can get themselves dressed but not the turkey. He tries but somehow things never seem to end up on him correctly.

B
Connie
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
We routinely dress ourselves wrong in this house as a way to cajole the kids into dressing properly (hey, whatever works, right?), so this book was right up our alley when the nieces were younger.

Every page has every animal putting on a different type of clothes correctly - except the turkey. Oops.

Eventually he's correctly dressed (purple socks!) - just in time to jump in a pool. Oops!

Hysteria for the toddler crowd.

At 5 and 2.5, the nieces are rapidly outgrowing this book, but I love it so much
Leah
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, kiddies
When my sister was pregnant I bought a bunch of books for my niece. I liked the Sandra Boynton books for several reasons:
1. Being board books they would stand up to kid handling a bit.
2. They are timeless
3. The simple clear illustrations make it easy for young kids to see clearly as their eyes develop further
4. They are fun and silly
Most of them have the added bonus of introducing concepts like color or differences, or size. I and my sister and now nieces have all enjoyed the books a lot.
Robert Beveridge
Apr 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton, Blue Hat, Green Hat (Simon and Schuster, 1984)

Another chronically-cute Boynton book, this one focused on color recognition and clothing, but featuring a turkey who simply can't get anything right (and the refrain “oops!” whenever he's featured). Unilke most books aimed at the preschool set, though, this one's building up to an actual punchline, and I actually laughed out loud the first time I read it to the kid; probably my favorite of its type since Emily Gravett's Wolves. Good
Erin Reilly-Sanders
For a board book, I found this very amusing! The pictures are simple and fun without a lot of fuss, perfectly appropriate to tiny audiences. It focuses on teaching colours and clothing pieces, while combining them with the irresistible humour of watching the turkey wear the clothes the wrong way. This would make a good library check out or gift to a young child. The concept is so simple, but rarely do you see board books that do all these things without presenting the baby with too much informat ...more
Katrina
May 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 2+ and Toddler Storytime
Shelves: boardbook, storytime

Besides being a charming story about the troubles of learning how to get dressed (or prop comedy 101 for preschoolers), the book teaches colors, animals, parts of the body and clothing. It's charming and very funny.

Great for uni
Samantha Penrose
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
My kids just love the silliness of this book. On each page, an elephant, a moose, a bear, and a turkey put on an article of clothing (same item, different color). The turkey cant seem to get it right. My kids love the silly voice I use to say "oops" when the turkey goofs up.
This is a funny/silly way to teach about colors and clothes, and that we dont always get it right!
Bree
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
All of Sandra Boynton books are such great buys for little kids! No matter which one you decide to buy. Red hat, green hat is no exception. It's a fun way of learning colors and even getting your first little lesson on clothes! These animals are silly and all these books will make you smile.
Marie
Another ball hit out of the park by Sandra Boynton! She really knows how to do silly right. My little one is only a few months old and seemed to enjoy this; I can't imagine how much more joy he'll get from it once he's old enough to realize that the turkey has put the clothing on all wrong! :)
Scott Frank
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Boynton's book on the Avant Garde fashion world is a stunning read. The narrative tension when turkey finally learns to avoid the "oops" of modern fashion, but then decides to take a dive in a swimming pool – a brilliant twist!
Lyn
The pictures were cute and I liked the concept, but this isn't my favorite from Boynton. I don't think there's a problem with the writing or flow of the book though. In the "oops" moment you'll want to stop talk about what's wrong about that picture.
Rhonda Paglia
Jan 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My grandchildren and I LOVE this book! Silly turkey - he just doesn't understand the "proper"way to put on clothes. The kids loved it and the illustrations are simple, colorful, and fun! 5-stars!
Kat
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The turkey omg the turkey.
midnightfaerie
Jun 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Cute book but not our favorite Boynton. Typical adorable illustrations and my kids had fun guessing what the turkey would do next. Nice short book for babies or very beginner readers.
Karen
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Amuse yourself while trying to teach your child basic colors and types of clothing.
Kimberly
Read to my son at one month and ten days old. He started crying frantically at the page with the shoes. I think it reminded him that he does not yet own a pair.
Shana
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lily-s-books
Cute little book. My 2-year-old doesn't "get" it yet but she loves us to read it anyway.
Leora
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While this silly book by Sandra Boynton is incredibly simple and short, it presents numerous teaching opportunities. Each page has simple illustrations with two word phrases and include line drawings of animals wearing the same clothing item in different colors, with one animal wearing the item incorrectly. As such, this book may be used to teach the names of colors, animals, clothing items, or even the initial sounds of these items. Additionally, this book may be used as a child begins to form ...more
  • Trucks Board Book
  • Quiet Loud
  • That's Not My Snowman
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Big Red Barn
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Hush Little Baby
  • Down by the Bay
  • Cars and Trucks and Things That Go (Giant Little Golden Book)
  • Piggies
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton