Start by marking “The Prisoner (Shifting Isles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Prisoner (Shifting Isles, #1)

The Prisoner

(Shifting Isles #1)

What if one simple choice could change everything? Officer Benash dutifully follows orders, even down to the route he walks to the prison each day, striving to earn the promotion that would grant him escape from that crumbling, underground facility.

Yet, as he passes a fork in the road, the desire for even one simple choice tempts him. When he finally succumbs, he crosses
Published March 26th 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about The Prisoner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Prisoner

Start your review of The Prisoner (Shifting Isles, #1)
Matthew Tanous
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastically written story that I simply could not put down. The characters are intensely relatable and develop fantastically throughout the novel to create a deeply moving tale.

I heartily recommend this book to anyone who loves a good story. Myself, I don't know how I'll wait for the next book in the series.
Andrew Ferrell
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It made me think, laugh, and cry

Lyons has woven a magnificent tale of oppression and redemption, loss and love, despair and hope.

Benash is a member of the Hawk forces, and second in command of Sonekha prison. Weighed down by the utter sameness of his routine and duties, Benash dreams of more. His sinful desires echoed in the words of one of the men he arrests, Haven't you ever just wanted to have a choice?

As his unswerving loyalty to the Elders commands begins to crumble, he takes a fateful trip
Faye Kennedy
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing tale by G.R. Lyons. The things you take for granted until its taking away. A sunrise or sunset. Benash and Verena and others in this book make a great tale. The more I read I was hooked with Benash as he has lots of angst of feelings of the right and wrongs. I loved the telepathic talk between the characters and even the telekinesis used. An incredible story leading to love and fighting for whats right. The ending of this was just beautiful and sad at the same time.
Benash was
Annette
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An incredible book! Thought provoking and one that should make every reader appreciate the simple fact that they have the ability to read and the freedom to choose what they read.

Everything in life on the isle of Tanas is dictated by the elders -- from where you live, to what you wear, to the food you eat, to your marriage partner and even to the time you pray. Nobody is allowed a choice in life. So what happens to you when you meet somebody that has known freedom and slowly makes you realize
Nene Nene
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A story that deserves to be a Best Seller

The author gave me this book to read in exchange for a review and must I say this book was moving. Everything about this story was riveting, the plot, the characters, the story line... They all had me intrigued. I found myself in this story-wishing that I was in it to be apart of such a tale. Benash and Verona had me in tears, the characters were like robots and when Benash met Verona it was like she gave life to the dull world they lived in where
Charles Jr.
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The PrisonerShifting Isles Series (Book 1) reminded me of George Orwells 1984.  Its a thought-provoking, intellectual, and dystopian view of a unique, post-breaking world.  It places strong merit on right-wing thinking while assigning not always thoughtful (or correct) defect on left-wing thinking.  The story had thoughtful moments for me and, at times, built an emotional connection with me.  Lyons has the ability to deliver intelligent, elegant, and beautiful writing such as, Chains, chains, ...more
Eleanor
Mar 25, 2019
G.R. Lyons
Mar 26, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Codrus
added it
Feb 03, 2019
Barbara
Mar 03, 2019
While daylighting as office manager for the family auto repair business, G.R. Lyons can often be found working on one of multiple manuscripts or desperately trying to keep up with the TBR pile.

Anarcho-capitalist, quietly 'out' trans guy, former belly dancer, coffee guzzler, highly-sensitive introvert, CrossFit enthusiast, and lover of m/m romantic fiction.

Shifting Isles (9 books)
  • S.P.I.R.I.T. Division (Shifting Isles, #2)
  • Return to Tanas (Shifting Isles, #3)
  • Broken (Shifting Isles, #4)
  • The Five-Hour Wife (Shifting Isles, #5)
  • Betrayal (Shifting Isles #6)
  • Addiction (Shifting Isles #7)
  • Blindsighted (Shifting Isles #8)
  • Libertas (Shifting Isles #9)

News & Interviews