Start by marking “Taking Flight” as Want to Read:
Taking Flight

Taking Flight

Seventeen-year-old Lauren Lennox is a city girl at heart. Being born and raised in Los Angeles, California by her movie star mom and ex-child-star father sounds like an ideal childhood, but with a mother who’s always busy and a father who suffers from alcoholism, Lauren’s already parentless childhood and her resulting rebellious streak are made worse when her mother passes ...more
Published March 25th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Taking Flight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Taking Flight

Start your review of Taking Flight
Lexxi Kitty

There are some authors who I, once I actually find them, gobble everything by them up as quickly as possible (or, at least, whatever I can get my hands on). Then there are authors who have written books I’ve liked and who, for reasons that aren’t really clear to me, I take a lot of time getting around to reading other stuff by them. Sierra Maley falls into the second category – I’ve now read all but one of their six books, but it took me three years to read these five books.

Part of my slowness i
Corporate Slave
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up to 4 .. the ending wasn’t as strong as I would’ve liked it to be.. overall it’s a sweet story :)
Megzz
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: vanilla
I struggled a bit through this one. This is definitely my least favorite by Siera Maley.

I liked it though, hence the 3 stars. It kept me interested enough to want to finish it. It's better than a lot of stories of this genre. It has the qualities I usual find in Maley's books: mature characters, realistic dialogues, really sweet moments. Cam, the Marshall daughter, is really attractive and intriguing, and I quite enjoyed discovering her and seeing her come out of her shell.

But I guess it comes
Tinything
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I felt bad when i rated the book but didnt say anything about it, especially the book that is good and i enjoyed it alot. I kind of slept than went to work thats why i decided just rated the book only. But it didnt sit still with me. So i has to come back, one day after, to write it. I kind of forgot what i wanted to write it in first place. So i just have to brief with it. Just to sastified myself.

I like both main characters in this book. Lauren was kind of a player, lots of one night stand, sh
Kelly Quindlen
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
I re-read this book last night because I needed a comfort read. I continue to love it so much. Lauren and Cammie's relationship shines with authenticity. It's such a real, grounded, believable book and I love the flawed, fully realized characters.
Angie
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Taking Flight deals with lots of heavy issues, but without feeling heavy. There's always a sense of hope as Lauren works to get her life back on track, and unexpectedly helping the family she's been sent to live with. Lauren is the child of a Hollywood star and an alcoholic childstar. But when her mom dies, her father is found unfit to be her guardian after she missed three months of school. Now, she's shipped off to rural Georgia to live with the Marshall family who take in troubled teens and t ...more
Bill Kupersmith
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Taking Flight belongs to the genre we might loosely term the Bell Jars, in which the main character, usually a teenager or undergraduate, is sent to some kind of custodial facility, for anorexia, drugs, depression, sometimes a more serious criminal offense. In the case of 17-year old Lauren Lennox, technically her problem is habitual truancy assisted by alcohol. Her mother Nicole Erickson was a popular television star who has recently been killed in a car wreck. Her father is another former TV p ...more
thi
5/5
- tw alcoholism, homophobia, dyke slur, internalized homophobia
- when a gay LA girl is forcibly moved to a quintessential southern town, tables are going to be shook
- Something that I loved was addressing *passivity* in homophobia and racism; even if you aren’t outright homophobic or racist, if you don’t do anything against it, doesn’t that also make you an offender in the matter??
- I also loved the discussions of religion specifically Catholicism, why cammie, Lauren’s (mc) roommate follows
Kexx
Jun 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book - a real turn-pager - slightly philosophical and was that a bit of lecturing? But the tale kept me going and it was brilliant to read a book that spoke in terms of real life, of the view of others in moulding our lives when we pretend we are in charge.
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
no one writes ya f/f contemporary like siera maley

rep: lesbian mc's and side character, f/f romance

content warnings: internalised homophobia, use of the d slur, lesbophobia (contested)
lov2laf
4.25 stars. This is the third book of Siera Maley's I've read. I really wish there were writers like this when I was a teenager and I'm so glad that these are available now. From the first page of "Taking Flight" I was hooked and I wasn't disappointed.

Unlike Maley's first two books that focused on accepting one's sexual orientation and were coming out stories, this book is more about universal issues everyone struggles with; figuring yourself out, living for yourself instead of others, being sub
Melinda
Summary: After her celebrity mother dies, Lauren is sent from L.A. to a rural farm in Georgia to help her work on her emotional issues. When she's not avoiding her negligent alcoholic father, Lauren's used to skipping school, using lots of drugs and alcohol, and having random hook-ups with girls she never talks to again. Taken in by miracle-worker David Marshall and his family, Lauren starts to reflect on her own behavior — but also quickly sees through the veneer of the perfect family at the Ma ...more
Katie
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I think it’s one of my favorite romances. I thought it was interesting throughout, it never got boring, and it was very well written. I liked the characters, both were appealing in their own unique way, and I really liked how sweet the development of their relationship was and of course I liked that they had a happy ending.

I really think this book needs a sequel because so many story threads were left unfinished.

What really appealed to me was that at least one of the c
Erica
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just literally read this in one sitting, non stop! Loved it, awesome story...I thought it deserved a better ending, but overall loved it!
emma
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm an emotional wreck right now, I could relate to so much about Cammie and it made this book extra emotional for me
Journey
this was just lovely.

to put the summary a bit more into focus: lauren's always been a bit of a party girl and has gotten in trouble before. but when her mom dies, she (understandably) spirals into such a depression that she doesn't attend school for a solid few months, which is the final nail in the delinquency coffin that finally gets her booted off to this camp. despite being run by religious folks and taking her to church, lauren's sexuality is never part of the problem trying to be fixed. it
Dee
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

This book started strong, lagged a little in the middle, and then just cruised along.

Typos and repetitive dialogue aside, my biggest issue was getting my head around how this 17 year old spoke to adults. Not as in rude, but as in telling them how they'd failed as parents.

Oh and what's up with the ending?
Rain
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
"If you leave your heart in someone else’s hands it’s so much easier to get it broken."

Another great book from Siera Maley, and once again it didn't dissapoint. Great characters with a believable connection.
Nev
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqiap, 2018, 2015
Lauren Lennox is a rebellious teenager. She skips school, gets drunk, and sleeps with a lot of girls. After the death of her movie star mother her father is deemed to be an unfit parent and a judge sends her to live with David Marshall, a counselor in a small town in Georgia who helps troubled teens. Lauren plans to leave the second she turns 18, but her plan might be changed by David’s daughter Cammie.

Does this book kinda have a ridiculous premise? Yup. Is it pretty easy to predict what’s goin
Eva
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the first book I enjoyed from Siera Maley. It's not a great story, as it is full of topics (Beautiful, rich, spoiled, and teen version of a Lesbian player from LA, versus sweet, beautiful, hardworking but closeted and religious southern girl) but the story is well written and the topics actually work, somehow.

If you're looking for a passionate lesbian love story, this book will disappoint you. This is more a ya story and/or a comming out story rater than a romance novel and although the
Ashley
Mar 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, ya, lesbian-ya, lesbian
I can honestly say that this is the best of Maley's books, and that's saying something. The relationship between Cammie and Lauren was swoon-worthy and I spent every page after they met awwing at their interactions and DYING for them to get together! Seriously, they were so cute.
That's not to discount the more serious stuff Maley gets into- life in the South for gay people, how different and nuanced families are, what it takes to open up- all done very well and integrated into the story without
Dessy Hristova
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the 3rd book by Siera Maley I've read and by far my favourite. I was absolutely hooked since the first page and I read this in one sitting. It's so different than what I'm used to and that's what made it so awesome and unique. I'd recommend this book to anyone.
Kristin Charles
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book by this author I have read and I could not put it down. I would recommend this to anyone who like YA books.
Sophia
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt
Thank you Siera Maley, for getting me out of my reading slump. This book was really adorable and relatable for me as well as being the kind of read that I needed right now.
tegan
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, of-love
this is genuinely the lesbian rom com we all deserve!!!!
Emanuele
Sep 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-lgbt
The writing is quite good, but I was expecting more.
I liked it in general. But would love it if we had more about the couple and after the graduation stuffs.
Michele Rivera
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a solid read. I really enjoyed Lauren's character. I wish there more romantic scenes in the book, but overall I wasn't disappointed. I'll most likely check out more from this author.
Linda
I loved this
Alex
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, lgbtqiap, lgbtqiap-f-f
This books isn’t just a love story, coming of age story, or just a book about the acceptance and self- acceptance of one’s sexuality, but deals with themes of systemic racism in the south and hegemonic society, alcoholism and the way a person struggling with this who is close to you impacts and unravels your life, as well as themes of neglect and isolated parenting and childhood. This is the main reason why the book is such a massive success in my eyes: when a romance can engage with crucial top ...more
rosie

• The Space Between
  • Her Name in the Sky
  • Keeping Her Secret
  • How Sweet the Sound
  • Style (The OTP Series #1)
  • The Gravity Between Us
  • Strawberry Summer
  • Back to the Start
  • The Blind Side of Love
  • 200 Hours
Siera Maley was born and raised in the southern Bible Belt. After coming out as a lesbian as a teen, she relocated to a more suburban area and now lives with her girlfriend and very adorable dogs while she works on writing young adult lesbian fiction.