Start by marking “Three Feathers” as Want to Read:
Three Feathers

Three Feathers

(The Debwe Series)

Three young men—Flinch, Bryce, and Rupert—have vandalized their community and are sent by its Elders to live nine months on the land as part of the circle sentencing process. There, the young men learn to take responsibility for their actions and acquire the humility required to return home. But, when they do return, will they be forgiven for what they’ve done?

Three Feathe
Published March 2nd 2015 by HighWater Press

To ask other readers questions about Three Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Feathers

Start your review of Three Feathers
Sabrina
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book wasn't exactly what I was expecting--I thought there would be more of a story developed around the characters. I think it serves best as a vision of what restorative justice from a First Nations perspective can look like--sort of what people are aiming for in the best set of circumstances.
Kris
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I checked this out from the library because the cover art was fantastic. I’ve read some of Van Camp’s picture books, and I’ve enjoyed them, but this one felt really disjointed and it jumped all over the place. The concept is great, but there was not enough here. The interior art was not as appealing as the cover, either.
Katrina
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A great concept, but this really needed some flushing out.
Elizabeth
Three Feathers was a nice story. It was a lovely example of rehabilitation and restorative justice. It was a lovely example of nature and tradition offering healing paths. The art was really pretty. I mostly just wished there was a little more. I wish there was more background for the plot and characters. I wish there was more to the meat of the story. What was there was nice, but I feel like I would have been more satisfied if there was more to be satisfied with.

I do intend to continue reading
Tammy
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Extremely quick read. This story is very simple. It is more of a telling than showing story, which is odd for a graphic novel.

Two things I liked: 1) There are very few graphic novels with this content focus. The story focuses on how restorative justice helps three young men and their community as a whole. It's such a peaceful, perhaps overly-saccharin story. 2) One of the characters is deaf, which works very well in a graphic novel format. This was both clever and inclusive -- very cool.

Unfortun
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Saw this book randomly on the new graphic novels shelves at the library and was attracted to the cover art. I liked the idea of the Debwe series -- a collection of "exceptional Aboriginal writings from across Canada," so I checked it out.

I think it would have been more accurate to call it promising writings. There was promise here, and an interesting story idea, but as a book it felt like I was only getting about 1/4 of the story. A tiny brief introduction, some interesting build-up, then BANG,
Christine
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read! Graphic novel. Teaches about restorative justice in a great way.
Tara Million
I picked this up because the cover artwork is great and I like Richard Van Camp's writing. Unfortunately, the story and interior art were a bit thin in my opinion. Although there was a great central message about restorative justice, the plot and characterizations really needed to be fleshed out more. As far as graphic novels go, this isn't the strongest addition to the genre that I've ever read.
Sep 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really liked this story. I like the idea of restorative justice, and I think it should be used more extensively, especially in the case of juvenile offenders.
Adrean Clark
Great to see a Deaf character, wish the story was more fleshed out. Maybe I'm missing cultural context to how it was presented.
Spencer Miller
A sweet and powerful story about restorative justice. You really fall in love with the characters in a short time.
Nate Polsfut
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
J.L. Slipak
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

I’ve previously read the other books in this series and I still feel the same way. Van Camp and Mateus make another outstanding team of storyteller and illustrator. In this book, the illustrations were done in black ink. I love Mateus’ style and clarity and how the artwork compliments the story so well.
Laura (ローラ)
I was disappointed with both art and story. The story seemed to try to represent modern cultural identity -- and yet the art was a poor reflection of it. This would have been more effective and evocative had it been illustrated using some of the visual tradition of the indigenous culture it was trying to portray. But, no... just a poor reimagination of Japanese-style art. I thought maybe this was done to make the story more accessible. But, if that were the case, it would have been an accessible ...more
Madison
While this was a great concept, I felt like I only got the very beginning and the very end of the story. The parts that I wanted to see - the boys living off the land and growing as people - were only briefly explained from an outsider's perspective and it was quite unsatisfying. Rather than telling us about how the boys turned their lives around, I wanted Van Camp to show it. As it was, the heel-face character development wasn't all that believable for the simple reason that we just have to tak ...more
Jody
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Red: A Haida Manga
  • Red River Resistance
  • Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection
  • Pemmican Wars (A Girl Called Echo)
  • Jonny Appleseed
  • The Barren Grounds (The Misewa Saga, #1)
  • Betty: The Helen Betty Osborne Story
  • Louis Riel: A Comic-Strip Biography
  • 7 Generations: A Plains Cree Saga (7 Generations #1-4)
  • The Peacemaker: Thanadelthur (Tales from Big Spirit)
  • Wolf Nation: The Life, Death, and Return of Wild American Wolves
  • Indian No More
  • Rising: Dispatches from the New American Shore
  • The Back of the Turtle
  • The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America
  • Kiss of the Fur Queen
  • Reindeer Moon (Reindeer Moon, #1)
  • This Wound Is a World
A Dogrib (Tlicho) Dene from Fort Smith, NWT, Richard Van Camp is an internationally renowned storyteller and best-selling author. He is the author of the novel, The Lesser Blessed, a collection of short stories, Angel Wing Splash Pattern, and two children’s books with Cree artist, George Littlechild. His new baby book: Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns is the official selection of the ...more

The Debwe Series (7 books)
  • Manitowapow: Aboriginal Writings from the Land of Water
  • The Gift Is in the Making: Anishinaabeg Stories
  • A Blanket of Butterflies
  • The Stone Collection
  • Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada
  • Fire Starters