Start by marking “Three Feathers” as Want to Read:
Three Feathers

Three Feathers

(The Debwe Series)

Three young men—Flinch, Bryce, and Rupert—have vandalized their community and are sent by its Elders to live nine months on the land as part of the circle sentencing process. There, the young men learn to take responsibility for their actions and acquire the humility required to return home. But, when they do return, will they be forgiven for what they’ve done?

Three Feathe
Published March 2nd 2015 by HighWater Press

To ask other readers questions about Three Feathers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Feathers

Katrina
Aug 15, 2018 rated it liked it
A great concept, but this really needed some flushing out.
Elizabeth
Three Feathers was a nice story. It was a lovely example of rehabilitation and restorative justice. It was a lovely example of nature and tradition offering healing paths. The art was really pretty. I mostly just wished there was a little more. I wish there was more background for the plot and characters. I wish there was more to the meat of the story. What was there was nice, but I feel like I would have been more satisfied if there was more to be satisfied with.

I do intend to continue reading
Feb 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Saw this book randomly on the new graphic novels shelves at the library and was attracted to the cover art. I liked the idea of the Debwe series -- a collection of "exceptional Aboriginal writings from across Canada," so I checked it out.

I think it would have been more accurate to call it promising writings. There was promise here, and an interesting story idea, but as a book it felt like I was only getting about 1/4 of the story. A tiny brief introduction, some interesting build-up, then BANG,
Christine
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quick read! Graphic novel. Teaches about restorative justice in a great way.
Tara Million
I picked this up because the cover artwork is great and I like Richard Van Camp's writing. Unfortunately, the story and interior art were a bit thin in my opinion. Although there was a great central message about restorative justice, the plot and characterizations really needed to be fleshed out more. As far as graphic novels go, this isn't the strongest addition to the genre that I've ever read.
Sep 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I really liked this story. I like the idea of restorative justice, and I think it should be used more extensively, especially in the case of juvenile offenders.
Adrean Clark
Great to see a Deaf character, wish the story was more fleshed out. Maybe I'm missing cultural context to how it was presented.
Nate Polsfut
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Laura (ローラ)
I was disappointed with both art and story. The story seemed to try to represent modern cultural identity -- and yet the art was a poor reflection of it. This would have been more effective and evocative had it been illustrated using some of the visual tradition of the indigenous culture it was trying to portray. But, no... just a poor reimagination of Japanese-style art. I thought maybe this was done to make the story more accessible. But, if that were the case, it would have been an accessible ...more
Madison
While this was a great concept, I felt like I only got the very beginning and the very end of the story. The parts that I wanted to see - the boys living off the land and growing as people - were only briefly explained from an outsider's perspective and it was quite unsatisfying. Rather than telling us about how the boys turned their lives around, I wanted Van Camp to show it. As it was, the heel-face character development wasn't all that believable for the simple reason that we just have to tak ...more
Francesca Banks
Cam Fraser
May 26, 2016
Jun 28, 2016
Barbara McEwen
2.5 stars - There is a lot of good here. I enjoyed the illustrations and the bits of story but it feels choppy and is sort of hard to follow. You miss large pieces of time. I wanted it to be more flushed out.
« previous 1 3 next »
A Dogrib (Tlicho) Dene from Fort Smith, NWT, Richard Van Camp is an internationally renowned storyteller and best-selling author. He is the author of the novel, The Lesser Blessed, a collection of short stories, Angel Wing Splash Pattern, and two children’s books with Cree artist, George Littlechild. His new baby book: Welcome Song for Baby: A Lullaby for Newborns is the official selection of the ...more

The Debwe Series (7 books)
  • Manitowapow: Aboriginal Writings from the Land of Water
  • The Gift Is in the Making: Anishinaabeg Stories
  • Blanket of Butterflies
  • The Stone Collection
  • Indigenous Writes: A Guide to First Nations, Métis, and Inuit Issues in Canada
  • Fire Starters