Start by marking “The Legacy Human (Singularity, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Legacy Human (Singularity, #1)

The Legacy Human

(Singularity #1)

What would you give to live forever?

Seventeen-year-old Elijah Brighton wants to become an ascender—a post-Singularity human/machine hybrid—after all, they’re smarter, more enlightened, more compassionate, and above all, achingly beautiful. But Eli is a legacy human, preserved and cherished for his unaltered genetic code, just like the rainforest he paints. When a fugue sta
Published March 2nd 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 2nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Legacy Human, please sign up.
Ryan Pangilinan Somewhat. There are elements of romance, but I think the main focus is the Science-Fiction and Drama.

Start your review of The Legacy Human (Singularity, #1)
angela
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book, in the beginning I thought I wasn’t getting the book. However one just needs to wait a short bit and everything comes together. It was a high tech book, where there are the Ascenders post singularity - people whom are genetically altered, to be part human, part machine. They are physically beautiful, smarter, stronger, faster and have better lives, with access to anything they want.
Then there are the legacy humans, whom are not genetically modified. They don’t have
angela
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Then there are the legacy humans, whom are not genetically mortified. They don’t have
David Estes
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was so impressed by Susan Kaye Quinn's concept and world building in this book. The whole idea that humans could one day "ascend" or evolve or whatever you want to call it, to beings with eternal life was really cool. I also loved the whole "creative Olympics" concept, where art is celebrated in the same way we celebrate physical abilities. Overall, a really awesome start to a series that had shades of Under the Never Sky (in terms of the battle between high-tech and low-tech), Red Rising (the ...more
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
I want to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book to read and review. I'm a huge fan of Quinn and love everything she writes. Receiving this book for free has in no way altered my opinion or review.

I'm always up for some sci-fi. and Quinn writes really great sci-fi. So when offered this book, I jumped right in. and of course I wasn't disappointed in the least.

Eli is an artist. But he's only human. And he wants badly to become an ascender because that would mean he could get th
L.R.W. Lee
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is thought provoking. What does it mean to be human in a world filled with ascended humans who will live forever like the alchemists envisioned and legacy, unascended humans. I loved how when we meet Eli, he is drifting in unexamined narratives that ascending is the goal of legacy humans...

See full review along with my review of book 2 at my blog at bit.ly/1Q0jUUg
Dianne
Humanity has done it, created a “better human.” Part human, part machine, these hybrids have the potential to live forever, while forsaking individuality, they are more intelligent, stronger and even more attractive than a mere unenhanced human. They even take “legacy” humans under their wings to protect them, encourage their strong points and just maybe, one day, they too, can ascend to “perfection” and everlasting life. All they must do, as a teen is win the Creative Olympics, the prize, becom ...more
Cherie
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elijah Brighton longs to ascend to something better in Susan Kaye Quinn's The Legacy Human. This novel has a glimmer of The Hunger Games to it with a dystopian world, haves (Ascenders) and have nots (regular humans), and a highly competitive and dangerous games (Creative Olympics), but Quinn transcends the story from the familiar to the extraordinary. There is more to Eli, the artist and main character, than even he realizes. He's brave and compassionate, prone to jealousy and anger, and wants m ...more
Rachel Morgan
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are some authors whose work I continually look to as examples of the brilliance I'm striving to achieve in my own writing. Susan Kaye Quinn is one of those authors. Building on a topic that is scarily close to becoming science-fact rather than science-fiction, she has crafted a unique and fascinating future world where the majority of humans have "ascended," melding their consciousness with machines to become higher beings who are, supposedly, better in every way.

I devoured this story, cap
Josh
Creationist rag targeted at a young adult audience. No idea how this was in my to-read stack, but I finished it only through my force of fascination.

It was like a failed propagandist experiment book. One that paints organized religion as a resistance against evil science lords and their "highly complicated web of lies."

just terrible.
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

This is without a doubt the best book I read so far this year, it kept me up late wanting to finish one more chapter and I flew through this book as it was so good and at the same time I was sad I was reading it so fast as that made it feel over so soon. I jumped into this book without having read the blurb and it was an exhilarating ride, discovering this futuristic world and being surprised by the twists and turns. I am pretty sure this is my f
Lisa P
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If there was a cure to the disease that would kill your only remaining family member, your mother, what would you do to get it? Right from the start you feel a connection to Eli and his struggle to help his mom despite the odds being stacked against him. As opportunities present themselves Eli is supported by his best friend Cyrus, misdirected by some who have Ascended, forms new friendships, and questions things he has believed his entire life. I read this as an ARC as an ebook. I purposely did ...more
Lynxie
Mind blown

What an epic idea!

Susan paints a rather intricate story and throws in some great, flawed and realistic characters. I didn't always like the decisions our main character, Elijah (Eli), made, but I always liked him as a character. His confusion and logic wasn't always perfect or neat and he was able to bend the rules when needed, blur the black and white to make an interesting shade of grey.

It's quite amusing to me that I found his best friend Cy, my favourite character. It's been quite some tim
Robyn
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book! I highly recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Hunger Games or Divergent. I received this yesterday from the author and spent the morning finishing the book instead of doing things I should be doing. If I were a movie producer, I would option this in a heartbeat. Couldn't put it down.
Alicia Huxtable
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uniquely good reading

This book is uniquely good reading. I don't believe I have before come across a story where the character wishes to become a machine, or some hybrid type anyway. But that's exactly what Elijah wants, but at what cost, and to whom? Susan Kate Quinn has created something everyone should read.
Alison
Three and a half stars.

Set in a future world where most of humanity has 'Ascended' and become immortal part human part machines, Elijah Brighton is one of a small number of legacy humans, descendants of those who refused to ascend for religious or other reasons. Treated as second-class citizens, almost pets, by the Ascended, the legacies live in what is left of the old cities, dependant on the Ascended for food and money. Elijah is an artist, supported by his sponsor Lenora, what she doesn't kno
Myrthe
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Find my original review on my blog

This is my first book tour/review, and though I thought the premise of the book seemed fascinating, it’s always difficult to tell just by the cover and the synopsis whether you’ll really like a book. Luckily it did like the book, in fact I LOVED it and I need to get my hands on the sequel (The Duality Bridge) asap!

Before going any further, you should probably know that this will a seven books series, that excludes the prequel, as well as the novellas. Quite
Ren nerdychampagne
I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
FULL REVIEW NOW POSTED IN MY BLOG!

4.5 stars!

OKAY, SO WHEN DOES THE SECOND BOOK COMES OUT? BECAUSE I. NEED. IT.

I know. I know. The book isn't even released yet.

But you see, we can't stop here. Don't leave me like this.

Why did it have to be this short?

First, the plot. It was new and all the usual things at the same time. But somehow, it's unique.

Second, the characters. Eli is as real as it gets. Cyrus, well, I kinda like him. NO I'
J.S.
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Kaye Quinn is one of the most gifted imaginations to grace literary circles in a very long time. And she has, once again, proven her prowess with The Legacy Human.

Humanity, in post Singularity days, is composed of the ascenders, who are a man/machine hybrid, and normal humans. Many of the normal humans are preserved as legacies...genetically pure human species who are cherished by the ascenders.

Seventeen-year-old Elijah Brighton is a sometimes-gifted painter who desperately wants to ascend
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Susan Kaye Quinn is a master at writing books that make you think. I have read a few of her books and have yet to be disappointed. She is able to capture my imagination and pull me into her story.

Eli is an artist who works with acrylics. He is talented, but only does his best work when he is in a trance, or fugue. He goes into a fugue in front of his patron and another. This propels him into competing in an art Olympics. If he wins, he will ascend. He will have the opportunity to become an immor
Sherrie Petersen
The world building in this story blew me away. As much as I love dystopian novels, sometimes it gets to be too much – the stakes seem too out there, too unrealistic. I never felt that way with this story. This beautifully constructed future world felt very real, very possible. But even better, the characters felt real, too. They still had real concerns about the people they loved, they still did things that real people do. I cared about Elijah from the first page and I devoured all the new techn ...more
Andrew
Apr 25, 2018 rated it did not like it
I liked the core idea: ascended posthumans keeping legacy humans around as a sort of cultural experiment.

The book played out like a standard novel of the type for the first half, but then some really discordant elements started popping up. Souls, prophetic visions, musing about what makes humans better than their clearly-better-in-every-measurable-way ascended counterparts, religion as the virtuous defenders against the evil tech-users, etc.

Hoping it was just character POV, and not the "reality
Tammy
I expected the storyline to explore having a soul, but I really wasn't into exploring religion/god.
Maybe if I would have finished the book, it would have twisted a different direction, but I just shut down and wasn't enjoying it anymore.
Brenda (Entre letras y páginas)
First of all, a huge thanks to the author for providing me with a copy of this ebook in order to review it!!

"I had no question that the technology to advance human intelligence (or create from scratch a machine intelligence) would eventually arrive: the true question was, what would we do with it? Would be use it to ascend into something greater? What did tah even mean? And what could possibly motivate us to choose that option, if it were presented?"

"What exactly do we mean when we call ourselve
Daniel
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With The Legacy Human, Susan Kaye Quinn is at the top of her speculative fiction game, mirroring the scientific discussion and activities of our world today to a future America where technology has allowed humans to Ascend to a mechanical, immortal existence, leaving behind the organic tethers of their physical selves for aesthetically superior machines. But not all Humans have Ascended, those that have not are Legacy. Eli is one of those. A prodigal painter set apart with other artisans to be g ...more
Leigh Moore
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a MUST READ.
From the humor to the romance to the action-adventure and the excitement.
It's an amazing nail-biter with a "just enough" dose of philosophical questioning.
It's PERFECT for all the thinkers who also like to have a great time reading.
This book is simply perfect.
Best book I've read so far in 2015!
One-Click NOW! #doit
Carrie Martin
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The concept, world-building, characters, plot development and writing itself (I guess I should just say everything!) is genius, really. Intelligent, philosophical, inventive. This writer/rocket scientist has got some serious talent.
Hollie
This was unique but I found nothing overly memorable about this book. It wont be a series I personally continue.
Beverly McClure
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Would you like to be smarter than others? How about being more beautiful or good looking or living forever? Silly questions, right? But things are not always what they seem.

In THE LEGACY HUMA Singularity 1, by Author Susan Kaye Quinn, we meet seventeen-year-old Elijah (Eli) Brighton, a legacy human, who wants to become an ascender, which means they’re no longer human. They have so much going for them, being beautiful one of their advantages.

Eli is a talented artist, who sometimes has spells wher
Moira Marek
interesting idea- I was fully engaged with the idea of "ascending" and the creative olympics for the honor to ascend.

It lost me towards the end of the book when it became more philosophical- still willing to give book two a shot.
Hendrix Eva
The hunger games but make the capital robots
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Concordia Deception (Space Colony One, #1)
  • Infinity: A Bridger's Origin (Bridgers, #0)
  • The Dead Room (The Dead Room Trilogy, #1)
  • Lightwave: Clocker (Folding Space #1)
  • Fall to Earth (Pillars of Fire and Light, #1)
  • Oasis (The Last Humans, #1)
  • Seeing Red (Ambassador, #1)
  • Sub-Human (Post-Human, #1)
  • The Genome Project (The Evolution Gene #1)
  • The Untethered
  • Into Twilight (Stefan Mendoza #1)
  • The Ravagers Box Set: Episodes 1-3
  • Hood (American Rebirth #1)
  • The Farrier's Daughter (Irish Witch #1)
  • Evolution Commandos:  Well of Furies
  • Realm of Dragons (Age of the Sorcerers—Book One)
  • Destination Unknown (Wings of Steele #1)
CLICK HERE for a FREE STORY

Susan Kaye Quinn is a rocket scientist turned speculative fiction author who now uses her PhD to invent cool stuff in books. Her works range from young adult science fiction to adult future-noir, with side trips into royal fantasy romance and middle grade. Her bestselling novels and short stories have been optioned for Virtual Reality, translated into German and French,

Singularity (4 books)
  • The Duality Bridge (Singularity #2)
  • The Illusory Prophet (Singularity #3)
  • The Last Mystic (Singularity Series Book 4)

News & Interviews

“When my body can no longer dance, my soul still will.” 0 likes
“It’s always been just the two of us, me and my mom, all the time I was growing up. When Cyrus moved next door, I gained a brother, and she gained a son. But they’re all I have. Everything I’ve learned about art—about life—I learned from her. Before the sickness, she was the strongest, most beautiful, most caring person I knew. Even now, she’s dealt with all the endless days of her slowly dying body with more patience and stamina than I ever could. All my dreams of ascending and being worthy of Lenora are just that: fantasy. Right here, in the grimy reality of Seattle, all I really have is my mom, my best friend, and my art. I can’t let her give up. I” 0 likes