Start by marking “Merit Badge Murder (Merry Wrath, #1)” as Want to Read:
Merit Badge Murder (Merry Wrath, #1)

Merit Badge Murder

(Merry Wrath #1)

From national bestselling author, Leslie Langtry comes a mystery series of laugh-out-loud proportions...

When CIA agent Merry Wrath is "accidently" outted, she's forced her into early retirement, changes her appearance, and moves where no one will ever find herIowa. Instead of black bag drops in Bangkok, she now spends her time leading a young Girl Scout troop. But
Published October 10th 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform

To ask other readers questions about Merit Badge Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Merit Badge Murder

Start your review of Merit Badge Murder (Merry Wrath, #1)
Lis Carey
Merry Wrath was a CIA agent, and a good one. Then she was "accidentally" outed in a bit of Washington political hardball, and forced into early retirement. "Merry Wrath" is her new name, derived from a middle name and her mother's maiden name. Her hair is now blonde, and her eyes, thanks to contact lenses, blue.

And of course her Deep Cover Dead Secret new home is the small town in Iowa where she grew up. Did I mention that her father is a US Senator from Iowa?

So the completely unaddressed
Norma Munson
Great story, fun, would prefer leaving out the f-word..... I realize much worse is said by many, but just didn't seem necessary here. Would add a star if wasn't used.
Caitlin Copp
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: january-2018
I thought this was a good read, fun and light. There were a couple inconsistencies that bothered me. Like that she was living in her hometown but no one recognized her. Also the police man that was stationed outside her house that she went to high school with...those kinda bugged me. Otherwise it was fun to read. I look forward to the next one.
Julesy
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to try another series by this author since I read her book from the Aloha Lagoon series, which I adored. Since this series was available on audio, it was a win-win for me. I enjoyed the main character. It was interesting to read about her former life as a CIA agent in Washington, DC, and how she is now relegated to help a girl scout troop in Iowa (not by her own choice). Quite a change!

While working with a girl scout troop with her BFF, Merry encounters villains from her CIA days, all
Spring
Feb 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
Audible recommended this book because I enjoyed the Miss Fortune Series by Janet DeLeon. That series is cute and funny even if far fetched. This series has a similar premise but without the cute or funny and is even further from reality.

Merry Wrath used to be an undercover field agent or "spy" as she keeps calling herself. This might lead us to believe that she is an intelligent and capable grown woman, but... sadly no, she is written as a vapid, boy crazy, imbecile. Every time a man walks into
Meg
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great start to series. Have the next two lined up and ready.
Dallass
I reserved this from my library, and was so excited when I got the notification it was available. I was sure Id love it as much as the Miss Fortune books, but truthfully, although Merry/Finn was a fun character, and her BFF Kelly was a great sidekick, the addition of Riley, Rex, Lana, and the numerous hitmen that drop back into Merrys life was just tedious. Riley is a jerk. I didnt care that he was surfer dude cute or laid back. He was a manipulative jerk. Rex is the new neighbour who is tall, ...more
FangirlNation
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Merry Wrath, a former CIA agent whose cover has been accidentally blown is trying to stay under the radar in Iowa in Merit Badge Murder by Leslie Langtry. But on a camping trip with the girl scout troop she leads, Merry comes across the body of the number four Al Qaeda operative, Ahmad Maloof. What is he doing in Iowa? But things get worse when Merry runs over Carlos the Armadillo, the top drug lord in Colombia, who dashes in front of her car with no opportunity for Merry to halt. Thus, her ...more
Agnieszka
I have to admit I'm not really sure about the rating and even less about the book. Some parts were amusing and fun but also exasperating or plain over-the-top-unrealistic in a way it started to bother me again and not funny anymore. I didn't like Merry (the main character) very much, I loved Kelly and liked Rex. I'm still not sure about Riley and Lana is in a category of it's own - as confusing as the book itself to me.
I liked some of the plot ideas and development as well as the many red
Nancy Haddock
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wowza!

I loved this book from the first paragraph! Fast-paced, wonderful characters, and more laugh out loud moments than I could count. Merry is a stitch and worth getting to know!
Elizabeth Rishor
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Super fun! I was very surprised that such a funny, silly book could be so clever! I really enjoyed it.
Jeri
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
This was a good little mystery that kept me distracted while we were moving my oldest daughter to Houston. I really enjoyed that I didn't know who the "bad guy" was until the reveal.
Sharon
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do you think being a spy for the CIA is fun? Think of all the dangers you have to go through: other spies shooting at you, stabbing you, and doing whatever they can to kill you. Does that sound like fun? Well, Merry Wrath loved being a spy. She loved the action, the danger, and especially her CIA handler, Riley, although she would never admit that shes attracted the blond, surfer-like Adonis, but she is.

Unfortunately, Merry was outed as a CIA spy and is no longer part of the agency. Instead of
Alice Liu
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Leslie Langtry elevates comedic hyperbole to a new art form in "Merit Badge Murder." After being outed as a covert operative, Merry Wrath is forced into hiding...and into domestic life. She is so ill prepared for normal things that she over thinks everything: What kind of furniture do normal people have? How do normal people greet each other? Is this what it feels like to having a friend? When the impossibly diverse dead bodies start piling up, it looks like Merry's cover will be blown, if she ...more
Jeanie Jackson
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-amateur
Laugh out loud hilarity wrapped around a solid plot. In Merit Badge Murder, Lelsey Langtry had created a fast paced delight with believable central characters that you will want to get to know.

Retired (not by choice) CIA agent Merry Wrath has no basis for living a normal life; she has no clue how to fit into the suburban life even in the town where she spent her childhood. But when spies start dying all around her she is ready for action. Well kind of. She does still have her secret agent brain
Amanda
Definitely not a bad book: it was fast paced and the lead wasn't the 'cute and funny' kind who is a danger to herself, and that makes me want to claw my eyes out.

The bit that let it down and made me stop reading is the numerous coincidences between the background of Merry and that of Fortune in Jana DeLeon's Miss Fortune series - it made me feel as though I'd read parts of the book before. Also the two Alpha male character's are clearly there for ongoing who-shall-I-choose 'fun'. We've all read
JadeShea
Merit Badge Murder begins when ex-CIA agent finds a dead body. The problem is she knows who it is, and she's been in hiding for over a year, so they shouldn't know where she is. But, Merry's past is coming back to bite her in the butt. She must try to figure out the plot before it is too late.

This book was an interesting mystery. But I didn't like how Merry acts dumb at times. I mean, she was in the CIA, you would think that means she would be smart. Then I really hated how they reacted to
Gail Koger
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read

I really enjoyed this book. Lots of action, great characters and a twist that I never saw coming. I recommend this book
Gary Sundell
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast, fun read. Looking forward to reading more in the series.
Teri
This is a review for the series as a whole. The series starts off ok, but gets much funnier as it proceeds. I do find her character exasperating at times (And unlike Stephanie Plum or Chrissy McMullen, I really can't identify with her. I don't know if it's anything specific, but maybe she's just as not as complex as I wish she was (if that makes sense). You know how some characters you get really upset, excited, etc. at what happens to them?... Yeah, I don't feel that here. I'm not putting that ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Great start. You do have to suspend some disbelief for this, but then it is a fun read. However I took away one star for the possible love triangle as I hate them.

Merry got outed as a CIA spy, so she "retires" to her hometown with a new name and look (yeah this part didn't make sense). She doesn't really know how to be a "normal" person and her only job is leading a girl scout troop with her best friend, Kelly. But then dead bodies of foreign spies start showing up and her old boss comes by
Tari
Feb 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-ebooks
I wanted to read this after reading the blurb about it and thought it was pretty hilarious to have a former CIA agent leading a little girls' scout troop. Luckily, her best friend Kelly that she'd grown up with knew about her past, so it came as no surprise when bodies started piling up at Merry's house.
The book overall was funny yet exciting, and I couldn't stop reading until I found out what was really going on with an ex-KGB agent, Merry's former handler and dead international bad guys. I was
Diane Burton
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun mystery. Outed CIA agent Merry Wrath retires to suburban Iowa with a new appearance and a new life. She even becomes a Girl Scout leader with her best friend from childhood. GSUSA probably wouldn't approve of a terrorist dead on the camp's rope course. As if that isn't bad enough, a high-ranking drug lord jumps out in front of Merry's car, then she finds a dead Yakusa agent dead on her kitchen floor. Is the world trying to tell her something?

Author Langtry's motto must be "let's see what
Kathy
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
This book seemed kind of dorky at first. Finn, (aka Merry) is an ex CIA agent who has been living in Iowa for the last year. All of the sudden, 3 international agents are found dead in her vicinity, the last in her kitchen. Her ex boss shows up with a Russian agent who he wants to hide in her house. Merry has a hard time deciding who to trust when there are shootouts and kidnappings from the various groups going on. Who can she really trust? Everyone is under suspicion, including her ex boss.
This was very disappointing! I was looking forward to it because I lead a Girl Scout troop, so a Girl Scout themed mystery sounded great! However, the Girl Scout troop aspect was hardly in the book at all, instead it was a fairly dull spy thriller. The way it was written was sort of like Stephanie Plum, except not funny. I may check out the second book to see if the series improves, but it definitely won't be a priority.
Julie Hubbard
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy
Poor Merry has been outed as a CIA agent hand has relocated to a small town to blend in. So, what does an ex-CIA agent do with her time? Well, being a troop leader for group of girl scouts. The skill sets should be about the same, right? The antics begin when an old enemy shows up dead and her troop become her greatest backup! There is mystery and humor throughout the book. Be ready to get hooked on the series!
Karin
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mixing a Girl Scout troop, a retired CIA agent, and some dead foreign operatives in the same story couldnt have been easy. I did enjoy those parts of the book. The cougar-like musings of Finn, er Merry, er Ms. Wrath, er Fionnaghuala Merrygold Wrath Czrygy was a little overboard at times. BUT, I repeat, I did enjoy the story. As a retired teacher, I would like to know how Lana was able to control that Girl Scout troop in such a short time. ...more
Rene Averett
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun and suspenseful mystery

A thoroughly enjoyable read with a witty, engaging heroine in a most unlikely situation. The story involves girl scouts, dead bodies, and spies in Middle America. What could be more fun? This book will keep you turning the pages or swiping your screen, whichever applies. On to the next in the series...
Helen
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just started on this series, and this is the second book. It was as delightful as the first one, and I believe the rest will be as well. I read each of them all the way through without stopping. Very very funny, and I learned all kinds of interesting things as well.
I would recommend all the books by this author.
Mindy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books-read
This was a fun read. The main character is a former secret agent, outed to the public. Now she is trying to live a quiet life off the gird, having changed her name and appearance. Everything comes crashing down when she stumbles upon a dead terrorist at the camp she has her girl scout troop at. Add in a handsome new detective, a former Russian spy, her old handler and more dead terrorists and you are on the journey of who did it and who is setting her up to take the fall! The only downside to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Swamp Santa (Miss Fortune Mystery #16)
  • Fortune Furlough (Miss Fortune Mystery #14)
  • Swamp Spook (Miss Fortune Mystery, #13)
  • Cajun Fried Felony (Miss Fortune Mystery #15)
  • The Hitwoman Goes to Prison (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #21)
  • Secrets and Stilettos (Murder In Style Book 1)
  • Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #1)
  • Reel of Fortune (Miss Fortune Mystery #12)
  • The Hitwoman's Juggling Act (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #19)
  • The Hitwoman and the Fallen Angel (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #20)
  • The Hitwoman and the Gold Digger (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #18)
  • Further Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #2)
  • No Strings Attached (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #8)
  • No Stone Unturned (Lexi Carmichael Mystery #11)
  • The Hitwoman Hunts a Ghost (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #5)
  • The Hitwoman in a Pickle (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #17)
  • The Hitwoman and the Neurotic Witness (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #4)
  • The Hitwoman Takes a Road Trip (Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman #16)
Leslie Langtry is a USA Today Bestselling Author of the Merry Wrath Mysteries and the Bombay Family of Assassins Greatest Hits series. She lives in the Midwest with her family and is an active Girl Scout volunteer. Her dream is to someday invent calorie free cake.

Merry Wrath (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Mint Cookie Murder (Merry Wrath, #2)
  • Marshmallow S'More Murder (Merry Wrath, #3)
  • Movie Night Murder (Merry Wrath, #4)
  • Mud Run Murder (Merry Wrath #5)
  • Motto for Murder (Merry Wrath, #6)
  • Map Skills Murder (Merry Wrath, #7)
  • Mean Girl Murder (Merry Wrath, #8)
  • Marriage Vow Murder (Merry Wrath #9)
  • Mystery Night Murder (Merry Wrath #10)
  • Meerkats and Murder (Merry Wrath #11)