Start by marking “In the Absence of Light” as Want to Read:
In the Absence of Light

In the Absence of Light

For years Grant Kessler has smuggled goods from one end of the world to the next. When business turns in a direction Grant isn’t willing to follow he decides to retire and by all appearances he settles down in a nowhere town called Durstrand. But his real plan is to wait a few years and let the FBI lose interest, then move on to the distant coastal life he’s always dreamed ...more
Published April 3rd 2015 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published March 25th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about In the Absence of Light, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Youblowgoo We are definitely set up for a sequel. I really hope there is. Book was great!

Start your review of In the Absence of Light
Baba
5 abundant stars. Full review posted April 6, 2015

photo oie_p7XgsqHb6QvM_zpslfkg9ncy.gif
 photo oie_LPDPrx6zwsj5_zpshouwgyly.gif
 photo oie_pnvfAjZSitwI_zpslmrgjxik.gif
 photo oie_nSmA7OYkeP5Q_zpsp6taesmc.gif

My second five-star rating of the year goes to In The Absence of Light by Adrienne Wilder. Readers who know me are aware that this means something.

Even days after I finished this story, I'm still reeling in the aftermath of one of the best reading experiences I've had this year. One word that would sum this book up is… awesome. In The Absence of Light wrecked me but only in the most positive way. I can't remember the last time a story made me
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
5 A Dog Isn't a Hobby Stars

So, not gonna lie, I tend to be somewhat cold and heartless when it comes to life books.

So typically, when I read a book that it supposed to make me like this:

description

I have come to expect I will end up being more like this:

description

I have just accepted the fact that my manufacturer forgot to install my sensitivity chip.

Oh well.

So it is with great pleasure that I get to say that this book had me all like this for once:

Seriously.

What a beautiful story.

Grant was a really interesting
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.75~

So many amazing review of this book have already been posted. I spent a good while reading all of them. I'm torn, you see.

Because as much as I loved the connection between Morgan and Grant, I thought the many sub-plots dragged the book down a bit.

I loved Morgan and Grant, but the FBI plot was distracting and tedious.

We had the drama regarding Grant and Jeff's former relationship; the mystery that was Grant's shipping business; the FBI good guys; the FBI BAD guys; Morgan's psychopathic ex
Gigi

This book taught me a very valuable lesson: When EVERYONE and their uncle tells you to "READ THIS FUCKING BOOK," you do it. Put down everything else and read. Because, honestly? If I'd have read this book in the middle of 2015, my top 10 list for 2015 would have been different.

I'm not quite sure what I can say about In the Absence of Light that hasn't already been said. I loved how fiercely Grant loved Morgan. I loved Morgan's dry humor and how he saw the world. I loved the raunchy, dirty,
☆ Todd
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This story was truly an unexpected pleasure.

The romance and feels between 36 y.o. Grant and 24 y.o. Morgan were pretty on point. And the parts in the story showing Morgan that Grant *truly* saw the real person that he was, underneath his tics and often-odd behavior, were just so sweet and touching.

There was also plenty of humor, with autistic Morgan mentally besting 'better' men at several turns. God, the toothpicks and 'statue of liberty' bits had me rolling.

I kept thinking, "Oh goodie
♥Sharon♥
Apr 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'd give this one 10 stars if I could.

I’ve been thinking a lot about this book, about Morgan, about Grant, about their love. Their story has invaded my thoughts allowing me to linger with them just a little bit more because I didn’t want their story to end. My greedy side would have loved just a few more pages, a few more moments but the last chapter was just as wonderful as the first so I am a happy girl.

It only took one review for me to one click In The Absence of Light. It is such a
Mo
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Recommended to Mo by: Sharon
I must admit about 30% in this book and I said to myself, "Shite, Sharon is going to hate me for not loving it as much as she did." Thanks Sharon for the recommendation and the gift. Headed off to a concert last night. Got back around midnight and started reading again. Stayed up until 3.30 reading it.... started loving it. Finished it this afternoon and I absolutely loved it, maybe not the beginning but the second half of the book just got to me.

For years Grant Kessler has smuggled goods
Vivian
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fr, romance-contemp
Short version:

The truth lies in what you are not seeing.

An unexpected adventure in a sleepy Southern town where a man on the run finds more than a place to lie low. He finds a reason to lay down roots. A place where an autistic power bottom, happy cows, and symphonies in light all make perfect sense.

This is fast paced, charming, emotional, SEXY--like Wow!, and entertaining. It makes you believe in happy endings after long trials. A hard won HEA is always sweeter, and this is sweeter than sweet
Emma Sea
Mar 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
The pov is quite shallow first person, and then there's the odd line where I can see Wilder is trying to reach for something heartbreaking and magical, but for me every line is missing its mark. I'm aware of the construction, rather than it going straight through to the gap in my soul

Also, you know what? The first third really irritated me. It was like playing Dungeons & Dragons where you literally go to the tavern to get backstory and rumours that may help you on your quest. So Grant meets
Jewel
4.5 Stars

Wow. I bought In the Absence of Light back in April 2015, but managed to not read it before now. I know, insane, right? I recall the reviews being stellar, and there was just something about the cover that drew me in. The colors, the composition, the reflections - it's a gorgeous cover. And now that I've read the book, the
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
4.5 Stars!

I had a lot! A lot of sad, some mad, some awww moments, I even laughed a few times.

This was a really captivating story. Definitely more on the emotional side.

I fell in love with Morgan from the first page. His character was so inspiring. He was so misunderstood. The battles he fought and overcome. His strength. His beauty.

"He just sees the world a little bit differently. Maybe he even sees things we'll never have the pleasure of experiencing."

Grant is new town. He does what most
* Meli Mel *

5 STARS

"Morgan's just like any other guy his age. He just sees the world a little bit differently. Maybe he even see things we'll never have the pleasure of experiencing."

This book had been recommended to me many times by many people on goodreads. I've had this one for a while and never seemed to get to it. Now, I regret not reading it sooner because I LOVED it!

"The light is funny thing, Grant. We think it shows us what we need to see, but in reality, it blinds us. That's why I brought you
Barbara➰
Reread January 2018

I am still at a loss for the right words for this book. It touched me on so many levels. Told entirely from Grant's POV, I love seeing him grow in his understanding of Morgan as a person and not a condition. He’s still perfectly imperfect. He makes mistakes. But they need each other and complete each other. The people in the town really stood out to me this time too. They’re funny and supportive.

It’s just a bloody brilliant book and I have highlighted the shit out of it.

Ingie
Written July 3, 2015

5 Stars - Amazing touching, great storyline, surprising plot and GRAND love

Much loved by many friends here. Recommended by my wise GR-friend Allison (5 stars) back in April. It was at last time to see what they all talk about.

description description description description description

OMG, why didn't I read this one at once??
Dumb, dumb me. In The Absence Of Light is what I call a GREAT romance novel.

[ I finished two weeks ago (on a trip sunbathing and enjoying myself at the beautiful Spanish island Majorca) and I planned to
Parvathy
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

5 ++++++++++ Stars

A beautiful and unforgettable love story which will capture your heart and never let go...!!

Grant has retired from his life as smuggler of high value art artifacts and got settled in a small town Durstrand. But his real plan is to get FBI off his back and live somewhere near the beach. In this town he meets the severely autistic Morgan,who shows his interest in Grant. This is the story of how Morgan changes the course of his life.

I loved this book..! This book took my heart
Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
5 BeAuTiFuL StArS

Nothing prepared me for.....

MORGAN

This wonderful story... I truly was in awe .. ...damn if I'm still wiping happy tears from my face as I write this - in fact the last 5% I was rubbing hard, the tears that fell from my eye's. Making ugly noises.

The other half said “For god sake go and get a tissue or something and blow your nose” YES, I GAVE HIM THE STINK EYE ....

.....how could I put into words that I had just read about the most remarkable, inspiring individual with
Judith
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Judith by: Lisa *-* GiViNg It To YoU * LoCk StOcK & TwO SmOkiNg BaRrELs
*** ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT !! ***

I don't even know where to start in trying to put into words how outstanding this book is.It has totally captivated my attention over the last few days.

"The light is a funny thing ,Grant.We think it shows us what we need to see,but in reality,it blinds us .That's why I brought you here.I wanted you to see me"-Morgan

Morgan is a 24 year Autistic man

Grant is 36 and has escaped to Durstrand leaving behind a dubious past and an ex lover...a FBI Agent

There is a FBI
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

Grant has retired early from his shipping business and moved to the middle of nowhere and bought a run down house with the intention to renovate it. While in town he meets Morgan, the mysterious bus boy at the only bar for miles. From the start it's obvious Morgan is gay, and he is also autistic. Thinking pursuing
wesley

A well-written masterpiece with all the necessary ingredients for a poignant story. Elements of humor, drama, action, and angst imbued all throughout but more importantly an unconventional romance to captivate your heart and shatter it to smithereens.

morgan

What made this stand out from the rest though, beyond the gripping and brilliant story, is how this challenged my way of seeing the world. How ignorant and prejudiced my way of thinking was when it came to the differently abled. And it’s astounding

Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️ by: Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
5 Bullshit-o-meter Stars!

photo B8B4EF77-6314-432F-ACAF-BABF45917534_zpswm1xmbog.jpg

The Absence of Light
by Adrienne Wilder is one of those books I went into fairly blind. I'd known a friend loved it but I'd hadn't read many reviews. What I DID know is that within a very few pages, I knew this was going to be a book that touched me profoundly. Touched me in a way not many books do. The characters grabbed ahold of my heart and I felt personally invested in their story. That, my friends, is WRITING.

Grant Kessler is a Chicago "transplant." Avoiding the
Simone
***5+++++ Stars***
The light is a funny thing, Grant. We think it shows us what we need to see, but in reality, it blinds us. That's why I brought you here. I wanted you to see me."

If this book were a picture I would hang it up in a special place, so it would capture the light I found in it. Itis a reminderof howprejudice and false assumptions make the so-called "normal" persons detest and reject everyone who is everything but perfect. Of how a first impression tends to keep us from
Amanda
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, tear-jerker
Sometimes you came across a special book that touch your heart and is hard to describe why you just love it so much. Despite the slow moving plot from the POV of a man who is running away from his past, In the Absence of Light is one thought provoking read that make me ponder all day long.

"The light is a funny thing, Grant. We think it shows us what we need to see, but in reality, it blinds us."

Grant Kessler is a man looking for a fresh start from his shady past. He longed for a solitude at a
Wendy
 photo 11270194_zpsd0r05nyi.gif

Oh my God...this book...almost killed me. I loved it so freaking much. One page I was crying and the next I was laughing my ass off. It was incredible. Morgan was awesome !! He was such an amazing character. Now Morgan and Grant together..HAWT as Hell !!

photo For-Future-Reviews-Gay-6-0516214_zpsxmahpp4q.gif

Damn...it was good. It made me feel so much. I made me happy..sad..anxious and it made me

photo tumblr_md4otrVJme1qkkc9o_zpsnkk9sazt.gif

I should not have read this book at my parents house ;)

I could have done without the whole FBI stuff...but it was nice to have some suspence in there
Kazza
An ASD MC? Nervous, but I have to read it.

Why the above comment before I read In The Absence of Light? It's because I get pissy about people stereotyping people on the ASD, I really do.

Going into this book, reading it, was very personal for me. Not because I know the author, I don't. Not because I have anything to do with the book whatsoever, other than I read it. But it has an MC who is autistic. Yes, autistic is the correct terminology, for those who are unsure. It isn't a label, its a
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melissa (Ever So Mela) by: Shay J
Shelves: m-m
2.5

So, I'm going to give the unpopular opinion and say the subplot didn't deter my enjoyment of the story as much as Morgan did.

Calm the heck down!

It's not that I didn't like Morgan...I mean, I did...once upon a time in the beginning. But then for some reason he fell undeniably flat and for the life of me I couldn't seem to reconnect. Their romance just didn't really do it for me because when they weren't having sex, they just seemed like friends. And yes, I know, love is like friendship on
~Volha~
Wow, what a book!!! I loved it! I loved the characters, the story itself and the humor. Seriously, this book is hilarious! Yes, the subjects tackled here are serious and complex as the MCs themselves but it's all interspersed with locals and their shenanigans. You have to love small towns and their citizens.

Morgan is such a positive and strong character. He is someone who against all odds lives his life to the fullest and defies expectations. Yes, he is quirky and unusual but he sees something
Heidi
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, favorites

This book had all the things I look for when picking up a book. Sometimes, in a book it's there and sometimes not. In The Absence of Light so many boxes got ticked. Romance, mystery, intrigue, drama, unbelievably hot sex, sadness, humour and luckily a (view spoiler).

I loved the two MCs and really, picking the book up was the easy part, putting it down and not wanting it to end was not.

Barbara
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing

BR with my friends!!

Wonderful!!
Enlightening!!
Moving!!
Entertaining!!
Steamy … very steamy!!

The best of the book … MORGAN!!

The way Adrienne Wilder writes about Morgan made me see his vulnerability, his capacity to love, his willingness to trust. The author not only “showed me” those things, but pulled me in, wrapped me up, and” whispered” the secrets of Morgan’s world in my ear, and what a beautiful world it is!!

Highly recommended!!
Christine
What an amazing book

These guys stole my heart. What a take on the old saying “never judge a book by it’s cover”. Morgan was autistic and underestimated by everyone that crossed his path.
But his “condition” did not define who he was as a person.
He was strong (physically, mentally and emotionally), smart, wise, charming, funny, sexy as hell and easy to love.
Grant was honorable, fiercely protective, strong and perfect for Morgan in every way.
It was a pleasure to watch these men bloom. To
Sunny
Beautiful. And brilliant. I loved everything about this story.

Atypical MCs work for me because they challenge so many misconceptions. And Morgan was amazing.

...and so was Grant :)

Yes, there were tears, as awful things from the past were brought up, and came back to haunt them, but this was also one of the most beautiful stories I've ever read. It was also sweet, funny, and intense.

*hugs e-reader*

Side note:
When the horn blew at the drive-in? Omg, I was dying. Everyone was going to know! And

• Carry the Ocean (The Roosevelt, #1)
  • Secrets & Lies
  • Love Me Whole
  • Rocket Science (Love Logic, #1)
  • Daddy's Forbidden Room
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • rock
  • Kiss Me Again
  • The Last Thing He Needs (The Last Thing He Needs, #1)
  • The Blinding Light (The Tav #1)
  • Intoxicating (Elite Protection Services, #1)
  • Tallowwood
  • Free Hand (Irons and Works, #1)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Lust Hate Love (Fallen Angel, #4)
  • Now You See Me
  • Someday, Someday
Georgia born and bred, I am an artist, a writer, and a general pain in the ass.
I spend most of my days working on my next book or designing cover art for other writers. For stress relief I do olympic lifting and occasionally run (but hate it). I have been in love with writing since I was very young but it wasn't until recently that I decided to pursue it as a profession.

I have experimented in
“The light is a funny thing, Grant. We think it shows us what we need to see, but in reality, it blinds us. That’s why I brought you here. I wanted you to see me.” 48 likes
“Morgan may be autistic, but he is a normal man with a mental condition, not a mental condition who is a man.” 25 likes