Start by marking “The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)

The Battle for the Castle

(The Castle In The Attic #2)

The adventure continues in this exciting companion to The Castle in the Attic.

As William turns twelve, he wonders if Jason is still his best friend. In the past year, Jason has grown a foot taller, while William is still a shrimp. When Jason challenges William to “jump the trains,” William is terrified. How else can he prove himself to Jason? William gets his answer when h
Published November 1st 1994 by Yearling (first published March 1st 1993)

Start your review of The Battle for the Castle (The Castle in the Attic, #2)
karen
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiddiwinx
sigh... cant go back, i guess. when i was little, for easter one time i received the castle in the attic and the owlstone crown - two wonderful wonderful books. this book is a sequel to the castle in the attic. it is neither wonderful nor wonderful. one thing i know about twelve-year-old american boys is that they do not say "blast" when they are angry. not just one time either. it was no typo. its just a weak follow-up, and that makes me a little unhappy. no big deal - i have other books...
Cheryl
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
All the right ingredients, but somehow less than fully satisfying. Maybe there wasn't enough sugar? Or maybe it needed to simmer longer? It was certainly spicy enough!

And by spicy I mean there was one very scary villain concept. But it did need to be developed more. I mean, where did that villain come from, and what was the deal with him?

And by sugar I mean both humor and character. Objectively both were included, but they didn't resonate with me.

Still and all, I do recommend this to fans of th
Callie *Fights Censorship*
This time William's annoying friend joins him and they meet a girl at the castle their age. The new girl character starts our strong but ends up playing nurse and cook when the real action starts up. The villain in this book is just a nameless rat of darkness which sounds really interesting but is never really explained or fleshed out in any meaningful way.

A charming book, but to my dismay, the shrinking factor is minimized in this sequel (pun intended).
Rebecca Hill
William thinks that he is to old for the castle that Mrs. Phillips gave him. Granted he has had it for a few years, and he is now twelve. Her birthday present is a mystery to everyone but William - he knows exactly what it is, and he is itching to get back to the castle and use it.

Telling Jason the story, the boys make plans to go back to the castle, and see what adventure is awaiting them. They are in for the journey of a lifetime, but they do not know it yet!

But now, they must defend the cast
Linnae
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars: Kids will be happy to return to this world for another adventure.

In this second installment, William is now 12, but still short and small for his age. His friend Jason has grown several inches lately, and has gotten really into biking. He is constantly talking about training and working out. William still does gymnastics, but is thinking about quitting. It's becoming harder and harder to find common ground with Jason.

A rite-of-passage for boys in their town is "jumping the trains;" e
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Castle in the Attic was one of my favorite books as a child, and thanks to LibraryThing, I was made aware of the sequel. In The Battle for the Castle, William returns to the realm of the Silver Knight, and with the help of his friend, Jason, and the fair maiden Gudrin, is able to save the castle from another dark and mystical threat: a plague of rats.
I was a little disappointed by this story, as it seamed really rather anticlimactic and not as well plotted as it's predecessor, but it was goo
Janeen-san
Nov 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is even better than the first. I loved it because it was funny and exciting, and the author did a wonderful job shaping all the characters personalities.

William tells his friend about the castle. Together, using the Amulet, they shrink themselves. Meeting with Sir Simon, the Knight of the castle, they embark on a magical quest to save the kingdom.
Walking out onto the drawbridge, William doesn't see the maze of boxes and old toys that was inside his attic. Instead, he sees a giant fore
Catherine Symchych
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh. I need to stop reading sequels as I’m usually disappointed and this time very much so. William’s friendship with Jason tried to be the theme in the beginning, but then got lost. That was fine because I didn’t really like it. The rat was worse, though. Never explained well and battled unbelievably. This won’t have a place on my shelf next to the original.
Jesse Webber
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy/medival lovers
Shelves: fantasy
another interesting read by Winthrope
Shiloah
My kids were disappointed this was the last book of the two. They loved them both. Great read alouds!
Kassie
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
June 29, 2018-- Read it out loud with my husband. He said it was pretty good. :)
Stephanie Pieck
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: braille
This book continued the story of William's "castle in the attic". This time, William is twelve, and he thinks he's too old to play with castles. He's also worried. His best friend, Jason, is turning into someone very different. Jason has gotten into bicycles in a big way, and he's also starting to be interested in girls. William is starting to feel as if he and Jason don't really know each other at all, and maybe that Jason will leave him behind, no longer content to be friends with the smallest ...more
Lara Vehar
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was all right - it wasn't as good as the first one but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

It's okay, slightly longer than the first one, but the ending still felt rushed. The beginning makes you think that it's going to be about growing up and finding new friends because the old ones changed - but nope, it wasn't about that. There were some attempts at swearing but no 12 year old says Blast instead of the f bomb trust me - that part felt a little bit awkward and could have easi
Twyla
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Nathan
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
Not as good as the first book, but a fun follow-up. Jason was annoying and I wish we could have learned anything at all about where the giant rat of darkness came from and why, but Gudrin was cool and I liked the general theme of "you don't have to jump a train to be a man." Some nice adventure and peril, even if it didn't all make sense.
Shannon
This book was okay. It was a little more intense than the first book, and was almost too much for my boys. I was not that crazy about the plot, it seemed more contrived and less edifying. Both boys say they would give it 5-stars, but they are both happy to be finished with it. I feel generous giving it 2-stars
Carrington
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recently reread this and the book that it follows before giving them as gifts to my friends. As when I was a kid, I felt that this was sort of an unbalanced continuation of the story--yet just like when I was a kid, it didn't really seem to matter because the story was still really good! Like its precursor, I really wish they'd make these into films. I would watch as an adult.
John Barclay
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
A good sequel to the first book. The story does move on a lot, and that's great. A new sidekick, a new set of twists etc. The trouble is that some of the magic of the attic is gone, and that's a big trouble.
Anna Goldberg
DNF. I was hoping this book would build upon the poorly fleshed out story of the first, but was disappointed. Saying “with magic, it’s best not to ask any questions” is not wise, it’s just bad worldbuilding.
Adelle
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this as a read aloud with my kids & they loved it. ...more
Kelly Carey
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not like this sequel as much as the 1st book in the series, and I expected a 3rd book.
Emily S.
I didn’t like this one quite as much as the first, but it was still exciting. It’ll be fun to discuss with my student!
Andy Zell
The kids enjoyed this sequel to The Castle in the Attic. I appreciated the way it highlighted different ways to be brave.
Mary
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little darker than the first. Enjoyed William's growth. Another great summer read with the kids!
Hannah S.
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was cute. I'm not entirely sure if I put the right date, but I am just going to go with it.
Shanna
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 19, fantasy
William takes his friend on an adventure through the magical castle. Minor spoiler: (view spoiler) ...more
Kayla Squire
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful sequal to the first. Again, so charming, and such a sweet story. I had so much fun reading these, and definitely want to read them to my kids someday.
Krista
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this book. It was a quick read and entertaining.
William Nelson
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Awesome story for a kid!
Chris
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This is basically one of those sequels that's totally different from the original in theme, despite following logically from the previous story's events.

The first book was more about a sort of "magic in the home" type theme, with William discovering that his model castle and toy knight are in fact the key to entering another world. His "toy" is actually alive and can talk, as he was a genuine knight changed into lead. Through the use of a magical amulet, William can shrink himself to the size of
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Return of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #2)
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)
  • Samantha Spinner (2 Book Series)
  • The Search for Delicious
  • 進撃の巨人 15 [Shingeki no Kyojin 15] (Attack on Titan, #15)
  • The Secret of the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #3)
  • Into the Mist (The Land of Elyon, #0.5)
  • The Lady and the Highwayman
  • Tentacles (Marty and Grace, #2)
  • Wolf Children: Ame & Yuki
  • Chasing the Prophecy (Beyonders, #3)
  • The Beast of Buckingham Palace
  • The Heart of a Vicar (The Jonquil Brothers #6)
  • The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard, #5)
  • Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)
  • The Boggart
  • 進撃の巨人 10 [Shingeki no Kyojin 10] (Attack on Titan, #10)
  • Choosing Up Sides
ELIZABETH WINTHROP is the author of over sixty works of fiction for all ages.

Her most recent picture book, LUCY AND HENRY ARE TWINS, a picture book for toddlers with illustrations by Jane Massey, was published by Two Lions in 2015. Publishers Weekly called MAIA AND THE MONSTER BABY, published by Holiday House, a story of "two winning female characters with a message about friendship and girl power

The Castle In The Attic (2 books)
  • The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1)