Start by marking “The Road Beneath My Feet” as Want to Read:
The Road Beneath My Feet

The Road Beneath My Feet

*The Sunday Times Bestseller*

*Featuring an exclusive new chapter*

On 23 September, 2005, at the Joiners Arms in Southampton, Frank Turner played his last gig with his hardcore band, Million Dead. On the laminates that listed the tour dates, the entry for 24 September simply read: 'Get a job.'
Deflated, jaded and hungover, Frank returned to his hometown of Winchester

Published March 26th 2015 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Road Beneath My Feet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Road Beneath My Feet

Start your review of The Road Beneath My Feet
Emma
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Over the past 5 years, Frank Turner has fast become one of my all time favourite musicians and I have seen him live more times than any other band or musician – 11 times, as I write this.

As an excellent songwriter, I knew that he would be able to write a good book. But I didn't think it would give me quite so much more of an insight into his life on tour, the people he's met, the songs he writes and, in particular, the shows that I have been to. It's wonderful to read about FT gigs that I've
Kirsty
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’m not going to lie. When the postman delivered a review copy of Frank Turner’s The Road Beneath My Feet to me two weeks before its publication date, I was rather excited (to the point of almost squealing). I have been a fan of Turner’s music for a good few years now, and have seen him live close to a dozen times. I was also at the sellout Wembley gig which he charts as the pinnacle of his career to date. I have always thought that Turner – and Conor Oberst of Bright Eyes fame – would write ...more
Fraser Cook
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If like me you have been following Frank Turner's music since Million Dead, then Frank Turner's journey here is also your journey. The songs and gigs forming the soundtrack to your own life. I have enjoyed watching Frank Turner go from playing tiny shows to selling out Wembley. I have seen a lot of the tours he mentions and of course have sang loudly and tunelessly along to the songs. Watching Frank Turner play live isn't like going to a gig with some 'rock god' on the stage to entertain you , ...more
Megan
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frank Turner is one of my absolute favorite artists. I have seen him live a few times and try to anytime he’s playing in my area. I love his writing... of songs, but not this novel. If you know of Frank’s fun and outspoken character, you will be surprised to find that this book is pretty mundane. It’s a rundown of the events of most of his concerts, broken down venue by venue in chronological order. But it’s basically all the same cycle of... We played here. There were x many people in the ...more
Heather
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
September 23rd, 2005. Frank Turner plays his last show with Million Dead. The entry for the following day on his tour laminate simply says: Get a job. The problem was that all he wanted to do was play music and, much to the dismay of some close to him who thought the band's end may be the change in direction to normality, he pursued it.

April 13th, 2012. 1,216 shows down the line, he was headlining to a sold out Wembley Arena with The Sleeping Souls.

So is this the typical rags to riches rock
Amy J
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a massive Frank Turner fan, this was a must read. If you want to know what it's like to make a living as a singer/songwriter, you'll definitely enjoy this book. He focuses mainly on his tour starting in 2005 and ends in 2012. From the toilet circuit to stadiums, Turner has definitely earned his stripes. This book is a testament to why he's one of the hardest working musicians and why he doesn't plan on quitting any time soon. Check it out if you're a music fan. It's quick read.
Bruce
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying that I am a HUGE Frank Turner fan, so much so that I actually saw him seven times last year, including taking vacation time from work to follow him to Montreal, Canada, to Burlington, Vermont, and to London, England.

That said, I was less whelmed by this book than I'd hoped. As some previous reviewers have noted, it's heavy on a play-by-play of how he got to shows and whom he saw at shows, but it's pretty light on details about the way those experiences shaped him along the
Jessica Lave
I was so excited and surprised last year to find that Frank Turner had a memoir! Over the past few years, he's become one of my favorite musicians and by far my favorite to see live (with the exception of Tom Petty, RIP), so I was thrilled to learn more about him and find out how he got to his level of success.

The book is anecdotal, based on stories from the road and shows he played that stood out in his memory, many because of whom he met or how special or unique a show felt for one reason or
Michael Anderson
Not an autobiography, more of a travelogue of gigs from the time he went solo to his Wembley headliner. Fascinating book, notwithstanding an occasional sameness to the situations around him. He is still performing and writing and will be for a long time, I hope.
David Hakamaki
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who is Frank Turner and why am I reading his book? Well, first off, it was free (Goodreads contest winner) and second it pertains to music. So, part of me still dreams of being a rockstar and the other part....well, it was free. Free is good.

Frank Turner. Never heard of the guy before picking up this book. Frank is the former frontman of the now disbanded British hardcore group, Million Dead (never heard of them either). The book follows Frank's final gigs with Million Dead and his unknown
Katrina Griffiths
I'll say up front that I'm a Frank Turner fan and when I grabbed this book it was firstly to support one of his ventures and equally because I was interested in learning more about him. This isn't an autobiography, however. This is a series of tour diaries (as so many other reviewers have noted) that chronicle his many, many shows and his rise to Wembley and beyond. It was great to see the wider context behind so many of the tour diaries he has on his website, and to get a bit more information ...more
Violet Clouds
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I, like so many so many of the other reviewers, am a Frank Turner fan and have approached this book with a curiosity about the man who creates music that I love. I saw Million Dead play at Leeds festival in 2005 and have seen him play many times over the past ten years in venues ranging from a tiny university halls bar which lacked a stage so we all had to sit on the floor like school children to sweaty crowds in heaving venues.

FT is a musician, not a rock star. He seems completely dedicated to
Jen
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since discovering Frank Turner in 2010 he has become one of my favourite musicians, not just because of his songs but also because he seems like a genuine good guy, not too different to the rest of us. Reading this book just cemented that fact. Frank doesn't glamourise life on the road but gives an honest insight into the sheer dedication and determination that is required to break through in the music world. The moment where he describes being able to afford a hotel room for the first time and ...more
jessica
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
im not usually one for biographies, but i will always make an exception when it comes to frank turner. this was an excellent story about life on the road/touring and it only lead me to respect him as musician and person so much more!

5 stars
Ben Mariner
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge Frank Turner fan, it was really cool to see some of the stories behind the music, to see where the ideas for some of my favorite songs came from. I discovered Frank's music way, way late in his career, to a point where I read in this book that he was in my city and it didn't even register to me at the time. One of the most interesting parts of this book, being a late-to-the-show fan, was how it seemed like true success didn't come along for him until much later than I would have ...more
Erin Brienesse
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never come to the end of a book and had it full of sticky notes! During the first few shows I kept stopping to look up the other bands that Frank talks about listening to and working with but I was getting nowhere because there were so many to look up that I had never heard of! So I started putting sticky notes on all the pages where there was something I wanted to look up. In the end there’s over thirty I think, I did stop a couple times when my curiosity was too big, like the house show ...more
Lindsey
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank Turner's music has become incredibly special to me, ever since my boyfriend introduced him to me when we first began dating five years ago. I've since seen him perform three times, all unforgettable shows (particularly Red Rocks this past August), and I knew what a talented songwriter he was, but it was a real pleasure to get to know him through this book. It isn't an autobiography, more a collection of stories detailing gigs throughout his career, from living room performances to Wembley ...more
Jeff
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know why I keep reading rock autobiographies. At BEST there’s a fun anecdote or two. At worst, they’re written by Morrissey. But mostly they’re this, a samey catalog of events that are important to the author, but not expressed in the medium they excel at.

The most annoying part of this is how the details of getting from show to show and the struggles of success are detailed painstakingly, while anything that might contain the ingredients of an interesting song are alluded to in passing.
Vince Snow
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Realllllllly loved this. I really love Frank Turner's music and it was so interesting to me to see where he came from. He tours non stop! I was so fascinated by some of the shows in China and other crazy parts of the world and how they get set up and how he has these connections with these promoters. Living in Salt Lake right now, I thought his Salt Lake stories were very funny. The book makes me want to go explore England.
Stephen Ball
He doesn't seem to realise that fans want to know "what inspired the songs, how did they get written, what was going on when that amazing album came together?" Instead this is a book literally made of logistical lists of getting to gigs and drinking afterwards. It's about venues, gigs and travelling, and not in a way which reveals enough about life on the road. Some great bits of info on Frank himself, eventually, but you have to wade through a lot to get to it.
Christovix
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 5-star
For me this book was exactly what I needed. No, Turner isn’t a master of words, but it was brilliant seeing him recount his memories of some of the most important shows in his career. He had a lot of knowledge to share with me, and dropped many pearls of wisdom.

This book changed my life, but I can’t promise it will do the same for anyone else.
Joey
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-4-stars
I think this book only scratches the surface of the creative genius that is Frank Turner. It also puts his passions in an almost quantifiable notion, by keeping track of all of his shows.

I have that much more respect for Mr. Turner knowing that he also does not drive cars.

"We drove through unbelievable blizzards in the north-east, argued with in-house merch sellers in New York and played our first ever show in Boston." (187)

Nice to see a Fenway Park reference on 259 as I ran into Mr. Turner when
Sara Marsden
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never forget I love Frank Turner, but sometimes I forget how much his music means to me.
At about 2AM when I realised sleep wasn't coming I started playing his music and thought, I really should read his book. So now it's 5:35AM, I've listened to nearly all his music whilst reading this beautiful book. Music is great. It's more than great, it's amazing.
Dietra
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll start by saying I love this man. so much so that I named my son after him. A fact Frank himself knows. not sure how I got that one approved by the husband but I did. maybe because we spent a lot of dates at FT shows.

anyways I was pleased to read this book and see he's exactly how I imagine him to be. just a normal guy doing what he loves. I hope to make it a show again one day soon.
Jachin
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only thing that needed to be done in order for me to love this book was for him not to come across as some kind of monster. Thankfully he came across as a delightful dude with a bunch of interesting stories and some cool insights on life and music. There is definitely some value even if it your not a massive Frank Turner fan, but not nearly as much.
Rhianna
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frank Turner is one of the best musicians both recorded and live. I've seen him every time he's come through town for the last 9 years and have had a blast every time. It's great to read about his touring experiences and shows from his perspective.
Gabriel McCann
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who is missing the extra chapter if they have a first edition can find it online here http://www.overlookpress.com/road-ben...

One More Show #1254
Olympic Opening Ceremony, London, UK, 27 July 2012
Chris Wedman
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the better books I’ve read written by a musician. What I thought would simply be an endless slog of tour diaries was actually a summary of Franks career with him highlighting key events.

If you’re a Frank Turner fan or just a punk rock fan, this book is a must read.
Matthew Tebbutt
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a huge fan I really enjoyed the book. I was expecting it to be a bit monotonous, but to be honest it flew by. I don't know much about the music business and rarely go to live shows or festivals, but that doesn't matter. it is a great read and an interesting insight into a different world.
Jake Wake Up!
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More than a travelogue, not quite an autobiography. There’s a really great blend of insights into the author’s life, songwriting, and what it takes to make a touring band work. There’s the requisite amount of name drops without getting tired like other musician memoirs I’ve read.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• NOFX: The Hepatitis Bathtub and Other Stories
  • Tranny: Confessions of Punk Rock's Most Infamous Anarchist Sellout
  • Mr. Nice
  • La frousse autour du monde, #2
  • La frousse autour du monde, #3
  • La frousse autour du monde
  • Naufrage
  • Roots, Radicals and Rockers: How Skiffle Changed the World
  • La face cachée de la lune
  • Je voudrais qu'on m'efface
  • Ton absence m'appartient
  • Can I Say: Living Large, Cheating Death, and Drums, Drums, Drums
  • Drunk Folk Stories
  • F You Very Much: Understanding the Culture of Rudeness—And What We Can Do about It
  • Friends Like These
  • In Your Defence: Stories of Life and Law
  • Join Me!
  • Are You Dave Gorman?
“We drove through unbelievable blizzards in the north-east, argued with in-house merch sellers in New York and played our first ever show in Boston. (187)” 1 likes
“I spend a lot of time talking about something I believe passionately, which is that life is what you choose to make it, for the most part, and more often than not all you need to do is seize it by the throat and demand more from it.” 0 likes