Start by marking “Process: An Improviser's Journey” as Want to Read:
Process: An Improviser's Journey

Process: An Improviser's Journey

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Process: An Improviser's Journey is an invaluable resource for mastering improv. Author, teacher, and improviser Michael Gellman was given a mission by famed improv coach Del Close: “[T]o create improvised one-act plays of literary quality from scratch.” Already steeped in the world of improvisation, he took it upon himself to do this, in the form of a class for other impr ...more
Published December 19th 2007 by Northwestern University Press

To ask other readers questions about Process, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Process

Jake
Nov 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Actors
Recommended to Jake by: Actor
Shelves: drama, women-authors
As I sat in a scrappy backyard, watching my neighbor attempt to smoke away his life anxieties, he said to me, “You should do improv.” “I should,” came my patronizing reply.

He sipped his beer, perhaps not detecting the initial half-heartedness in my reply. “Right now my whole focus is finding away to fall back in love with the work.” By work, he meant professional acting. My neighbor and fellow actor proceeded to tell me about taking classes at Second City in Chicago, about the artistic wonder of
Tony Phonethibsavads
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a work of fiction, but ironically, I think that makes it more "true" for any improviser interested in the art and culture of improv. It's not a manual of improvisation, but instead, it is a fictional story that takes you through the journey of Geoff, an actor, as he faces the auditions, workshops, scene partners from hell, rehearsals, anxiety -- every small part of the journey. Throughout the many believable and realistic situations, and Zen-like brilliance of Michael Gellman's teachings ...more
Kimberly Hirsh
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Like so many before me have said, this is Stanislavski's An Actor Prepares but for improv. Like An Actor Prepares, it's got an insufferable main character whose learning was super valuable for me as the reader. This one is especially great for people who are a little more advanced and deep into long-form; it includes a lot of lovely little moments that will enhance/reiterate what you're learning in class and practice. Here are a couple I noted:

"...how much do we explore and heighten? When do we
Randy
Aug 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Sad little book (not in a a good way).

This book teaches a lot of simple lessons, so simple in fact, you may consider them common sense. It's really nothing more than a children's book dressed up in adult's clothing.

Clearly, this book was written out of the necessity to make money, rather than the necessity to provide any valuable information. And if the goal was entertainment, then I'm bored.
Will Biby
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's a nice narrative approach to following Gellman's process. From being in 2 of Gellman's classes, the book is accurate in how he works with students. (Though, I do find the "characters" in the book to be a little whiny for thier accomplishments thus far, i.e. teams, plays, opportunities.)
Corina Anghel
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: improv
Cartea e scrisa foarte "artistic", nu e doar un manual ci o poveste interesanta despre un grup de personaje prin ale caror ganduri si trairi ajungi sa intelegi mai bine teoria. O idee interesanta de a prezenta modul de desfasurare al unui workshop si invataturile din el.
Jill
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a really nice text on how to build an improvised one-act told from a student's perspective a la An Actor Prepares

To be honest, I haven't finished it simply because of time. But I liked what I read.
Ray Charbonneau
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Fictionalized experience of an improviser taking classes - shows rather than tells, and the different viewpoint helps teach.
Aral
May 30, 2012 rated it liked it
PRO-cess
Nickwieme
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-changers
The perfect book for a rising improviser.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »