Start by marking “Wonderment in Death (In Death, #41.5)” as Want to Read:
Wonderment in Death (In Death, #41.5)

Wonderment in Death

(In Death #41.5)

Someone is hosting dangerous tea parties in 2061 New York...

Thing aren't what they seem when Lieutenant Eve Dallas investigates what appears to be a routine murder/suicide. When friends of Darlene and Marcus Fitzwilliams insist Darlene would never hurt her brother, Eve digs deeper.

Eve learns that Darlene sought help from sensitivities, psychics, and doctors o
Audio CD, Unabridged, 4 pages
Published September 29th 2015 by Brilliance Audio (first published September 22nd 2015)

Jonetta
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense

This is a clever but sinister play on the classic children's story, Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I've always felt that story was really an adult fable and Robb's version definitely falls in that category.

What works about this story is how quickly we become connected to the victims and the rapidly developed investigation. What initially looked like a murder-suicide was later determined to be something other because of the determination of the friends and family of the victims who were
Brenda
The case looked like a murder/suicide to Lieutenant Eve Dallas – but good friends, Louise and Charles, who knew the victims well said no, not possible. The female victim’s fiancé said the same. It was enough to kick Eve’s investigative self into action. When she discovered the weird references to Alice in Wonderland, it baffled her. But as usual, Roarke had the answers…

How and why had Darlene Fitzwilliams killed her brother then herself? Eve was determined to discover the answers to that questi
Kirsten #EndGunViolence
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audible
One of the better of the In Death novellas. Of the two In Death books released in September, I thought this was the more enjoyable.

Most of the novellas have a theme and this one is no different. This one has a delightful Alice in Wonderland theme. Albeit a violent one.

I like this one better than Devoted mainly because it focused more on the relationships. Especially Eve and Roarke. This series never really disappoints.
Anastasia
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderment in Death by J.D.Robb is a short novella in the In Death series taking place following book 41. Eve investigates a murder suicide where it appears that the killer was induced to kill under the influence of drugs and hypnosis. Amazing as always with references to Alice in Wonderland.
Thenia
A novella about one of Eve's more fantasy related cases, and a killer obsessed with Alice in Wonderland.

I'm not particularly fond of that story, but the case was interesting and stretched Eve's horizons yet again.

Her adventures continue in Brotherhood in Death and a story where we get to see more of Dennis Mira.

Previous book reviews:
Devoted in Death (In Death, #41)
Obsession in Death (In Death, #40)
Festive in Death (In Death, #39)
Concealed in Death (In Death, #38)
/>
Anna Serene
Does anyone else find it a little odd that with most of these novellas Robb have much more paranormal in them than her regular installments? I don't really mind it, it just struck me as a little odd.
SB*needs low angst books*
I love the In Death series. I definitely love some more than others. This novella was not one I would re listen to again though.

I found it was just one of those that like Chaos novella was a story just a little too much for me to like. I enjoy the characters but the story left me feeling like something was missing. Now it had some great moments with the characters which is always fun and funny but it was the case the story was focused on that was my issue. Like I say it is always nice to visit
Venus Blancia
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: novella, crime, futuristic
What I like about the In Death novellas is the reference of fantasy. Wonderment in Death is a twisted version of Alice in Wonderland. Since I ate my short, I wish I had more encounters of Eve being possessed by the black magic and Roarke in panic over it. What a nice scene it is supposed to be. All in all, I like how JD projected the realities of unboulderized fairytales that have full of political, social and twisted realities of human experiences.
Anna
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Psychotic version of Alice in Wonderland
Elvan
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Entertaining novella. I tried to look back and couldn't find it but I am sure the words woo woo were used. LOL
The story dragged a bit at the start and maybe you could call what happens in Chapter Nine a deus ex machina but this is a novella length story and Eve needed a bit of help to wrap things up in her allotted ten chapters. It didn't matter in the end. The reader suspected post hypnotic suggestions and a whole whopping load of illegals in the original crime.

Our favourite characters g
Jane Jago
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as many stars as usual for an Eve Dallas story. I found it a tiny bit predictable.

Has JD finally run out of new ideas for Eve and Rourke?

I do hope not...
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Oct) It is rare for me to give an In Death book less than 4*. This one didn't work for me. While I discovered the In Death series many years ago by reading one of the earliest short stories, I can't say they are my favorites. I either find myself wanting them to be longer or the are just paranormal/whoo-whoo weird for me. This one fall into the weird category. I don't know that I quite understood all the weirdness of the crazy guy (Mad Hatter) - what exactly he was doing to the victims and how ...more
⚜️Trea
Most of the time, I really enjoy reading an Eve Dallas story, but this one really didn't do anything for me. It really wasn't that memorable, and I had a hard time connecting it to the "Alice in Wonderland" theme. In fact, those references really felt forced! I liked the glimpse into Louise and Charles' current life, so that raised this story from a 1 star rating for me. This one is ultimately skippable, and not up to Robb's usual par.
Alyssa
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
LOVED IT
Lyndi W.
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
So is Eve a sensitive or not?
Cyndi
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read out of order, but still worth the trip.
Obsidian
Please note that I gave this novella 2.5 stars and rounded it to 3 stars on Goodreads.

I tend to like the novellas because they are a quick read and you can get a taste of the series. That said, this one was below average for me. The beginning was way too quirky and the dialogue didn't work. We had way too much interaction between Louise and Charles. Frankly I would have been happy to have them cut out in order to build up how Dallas finds the bad guy and we can spend more time with her in Intervi
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
While I'm a fan of most of the novellas in the In Death series, Wonderment just fell a little short for me. The Alice in Wonderland reference/connection didn't quite ring true, imo. I found my attention slipping a little which is not the norm for me with this series. This is my least favorite of all the novellas.
Darcy
I love it when we get these Eve Dallas shorts, but wish it hadn't been so close to the last book being released.

I hated the crime in this one, mostly because I hate people that prey on other's weaknesses and the bad guy did that in a big way. It was interesting how Eve figured out who the bad guy was and how he managed to do the killing. But the best was her taking him down in interview!
Kjen
5 Stars! This was easily one of the top novellas in the Indeath series. I would have liked to know exactly how Roarke "...restrained the suspect." But, alas, I should have known that Roarke would never leave fingerprints;)
Paraphrodite
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, listened, 2019
3.5 stars.

Another short dose of Eve and Roarke, with an Alice in Wonderland theme.
Maria
Another short and not one of my favorites, I think because of the drug and hallucination aspects to the story and people dying who don't deserve to die. It's all about greed in this one, although the Alice in Wonderland theme was skillfully done. I'm not left wondering what happened to any of the characters in this one, which means I didn't get totally invested in the new characters, maybe because there isn't time?
MountainKat
Interesting story with an Alice in Wonderland theme. I liked it, even though the novellas are never as good as the regular books. But it has all the characters and Susan Ericksen, so a great little story.
Becca
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Psychos are on the loose again in this short. This time it's like being dragged down the rabbit hole. Yes, Alice in Wonderland. People are dying after being drugged and Eve has to figure out who it is and catches them before someone else dies. Including herself. I love this series
Angela
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
alice in wonderland and Eve/Roarke
Glamdring
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
one solid 3,5 stars
Micky Cox
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting twist on the con artistry of communing with the dead, in this case the con is put forth by a serial killer and his companions. A short story in the Dallas/Roarke series that will entertain you for a short time on a lazy afternoon. As always the series delivers great character development and intriguing plot twists.
Cherry Mischievous
My Thoughts:
This is a short sweet instalment in the In Death series. Plot follows the same pattern as the full length books, just shorter story. So no room for twists. Quiet straightforward, but still enjoyable. In fact I like this better than Dark In Death which started to feel boring to me. It might be the book or might be just me reading too many JD Robb books. And I guess because it is not just Dallas alone knowing who the bad guy is intuitively. Although the supernatural element is st
Gizella Tóth
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was too short... :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
J.D. Robb : Wonderment in Death (Spoiler Zone) 51 69 Feb 07, 2017 11:28AM

• Billionaires Prefer Blondes (Samantha Jellicoe, #3)
  • Pride and Modern Prejudice
  • Hannah's Big Night (A Matter of Time, #8.5)
  • A Ghost of a Chance
  • Pan Wołodyjowski (Trylogia, #3)
  • A Very D Christmas (Zero at the Bone, #1.4)
  • Thaw (PsyCop, #1.1)
  • Princeless, Vol. 6: Make Yourself Part 2
  • Mad Lizard Mambo (Kai Gracen, #2)
  • Afterimage (In the Company of Shadows, #2)
  • Nutria i Nerwus (Jeżycjada, #10)
  • Two Sighted (Finding Strength, #1)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th entry in ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)