Start by marking “To Quote Myself: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
To Quote Myself: A Memoir

To Quote Myself: A Memoir

Khaya Dlanga has established himself as one of the most influential individuals in South African media, particularly social media, a platform he uses to promote discussion on topics that range from the frivolous to the profound. In To Quote Myself, Khaya recounts entertaining and moving stories about his roots and upbringing in rural Transkei, how he made his mark at schoo ...more
Published by Pan Macmillan South Africa (first published January 1st 2015)

Dwayne Bailey
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: south-african
I enjoyed the journey through Khaya's life. I guess to be honest I want to know his mother better. What made this woman sacrifice so much, what gave her such drive to make sure her kids got the best education possible? Khaya's sense of humour shines through everything. The way he deals with racism is powerful, uplifting and disarming. When Khaya says something you listen, even if its a twitter msg. Read the book and find out why its worth listening to and laughing with Khaya.
Sipho Lukhele
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was an unusual eye opener for me to a lot of thing's. The big one being the ignorance from my side. I always assumed Khaya had it easy and never thought he worked as hard as he did to get where he is today. All thanks to his visionary mom and good education to an extent. Below is what I loved best from the book:

How can two people who started off in life from the same place, the same village and school, end up leading such completely different lives? It is not always our brilliance that
Andiswa M
Apr 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I have never read Khaya's first book and it had nothing to do with its size just never got to it,however i couldn't have read to 'quote myself' at a better time.From the moment i picked it i couldn't put it down.Hes Khaya and hes uniquely funny yet drives the point straight home.I couldn't help but be in awe of how hard he worked to be where he is today, I mean a boy from Dutyeni.Its amazing how poverty can drive one to be the better version of themselves forging through against all the odds.
Monique Snyman
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Memoirs about South African celebrities doesn't, in my opinion and according to my personal tastes, exactly scream: "Read me!" I mean, they're a dime a dozen, and they rarely do anything for me on a personal level, so I tend to steer clear. As a reviewer, however, they sometimes cross my desk, and I sometimes have to suck it up and read the damn book. I'll be honest, I've been putting off reading To Quote Myself by Khaya Dlanga for over a year ... It's not that I have anything against the author ...more
Cassey
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read that's a reminder of a few things. The most important being that everyone has a story to tell. And the other that to succeed you need more than luck, you need luck with handwork, talent and tenacity.
Unathi
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am Khaya in some ways and Mongezi in others'. It is only because I don't why I would be crying, that I am not crying, yet somehow this book makes me want to wail and holler out loud.
Charlotte Luzuka
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Khaya's writing is honest, reflective and funny. I can see why he has done so well for himself in the advertising world. It has given great insight into what it takes to overcome obstacles. Hard work is key, but without support and advocacy and luck, hard work will just leave you tired and probably still in front of that obstacle.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us Khaya. I have learnt some things that I'd love to try out. I also see you in a different light. Here's to more success, so that
Nancy
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bio, nonfiction, memoir
I read this on the recommendation of Trevor Noah. It was obviously written for a South African audience. There were lots of words and phrases I didn't recognize. It didn't distract too much from the story. An interesting look at South Africa. It didn't dwell much on the political situation. More one man's life in another country.
Linda
Jul 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick read - enjoyable
Vusi
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a story that had to be told.
Nassir Ali
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A captivating memoir with many lessons to be learnt.
Siyamthanda Skota
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This star rating business is quite tricky at times because this book is not on the same level as the books I've given a 3 star rating before. But it also does not deserve a 2 star rating. *sigh*
Coin
Apr 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally finished this book after a reading half of it in three hours then taking a two-month break because I couldn't get over THAT EMO PART.
Nandipha Zele
Sep 23, 2018
Bongani
May 03, 2016
Tilly Ngope
rated it did not like it
Jul 12, 2016
  • African Silences
  • Mama Namibia
  • Ujamaa-Essays on Socialism
  • The Fourth Treasure
  • Water Music (Clare Hart, #5)
  • Singing Away the Hunger: The Autobiography of an African Woman