Start by marking “The Windup (The Rainbow League, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Windup (The Rainbow League, #1)

The Windup

(The Rainbow League #1)

Ian ran screaming from New York City upon graduating from high school. A job offer too good to turn down has brought him back, but he plans to leave as soon as the job is up. In the meantime he lets an old friend talk him into joining the Rainbow League, New York’s LGBT amateur baseball league. Baseball turns out to be a great outlet for his anxiety, and not only because s ...more
Published April 24th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

Gigi
Mar 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-baseball
This wasn't a home run for me. I had a lot of trouble with the lack of intensity between the characters. Admittedly, the author meant to keep the boys at arm's length because their plans differed enough that they were going to be separated in a year, but it worked against the romance and warmth of the relationship. And other than one smoking hot scene where MC Ian was in the throes of an adrenaline rush, the sex wasn't all that special.

It pains me to no end to write a negative review here becaus
Sheri
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: boyz-luvin-boyz
Strike. You’re out! Yeah, sadly I struck out on this one. I’m bumming too, this was my first McMurray book. That’s always frustrating when first encounters are bumpy. There are several key reasons I did not hit it off with The Windup.

Ian has moved back to New York City, much to his dismay. The only good thing about it is that its temporary. He joins The Rainbow League in hopes of making the best of his summer in the city. He doesn’t count on a sexy redhead distracting his plan to get the heck ou
Renée
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
3.5 stars(After some overnight thought) This was your typically well-written story that I've grown to expect from McMurray. And I appreciate her adoration of baseball.

I honestly love the premise of an amateur, city-wide, gay baseball league. She's right - they are popping up all over the place. A friend of mine plays in one. They call themselves the "Baby Batters." Vulgar, yes, but gotta love it.

I honestly didn't take to the MCs at first. I found that I couldn't connect with them, Ian especially
Jeff Erno
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
You already know the formula. Two main characters are thrown together for a restricted period of time, both vowing not to fall in love. They fall in love, anyway but are afraid to admit it to each other. Their time together expires and they separate, both of them miserable. Even though they each are in love with the other, they're both too stubborn to see how the other feels, hence big misunderstanding. Third party intervenes to give them advice. Grand romantic gesture ensues, hence lightbulb mo ...more
Dutchgirl
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I liked both Ian and Ty. It was very enjoyable to read about them and their journey towards eachother.

I'm from Europe and although Baseball isn't really on the radar here it was fun to read about the sport. It takes up a large part of the book but it isn't to overwhelming and it doesn't take anything away from the romance.
It was also nice to get to know some secondary characters who will be main characters in the next two books.

I look forward to the rest of this serie
NancyM
There was no real heat between the Ty and Ian which is fine. Slow and sweet will work too! Sadly this one was not sweet. It was slow though, very slow...you could say it was plodding.

The changing of the POV to different characters other than the MCs at the beginning had me wondering whose story this was. I understand setting up for the next book in the series but you can achieve that without adding all these POV switches.

2.75 rounded up
Joyfully Jay
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wendy
A Joyfully Jay review.

To say both of these main characters travel with some serious baggage would be an understatement. To say Ian is neurotic would be an understatement. At times I found myself laughing when Ian was paranoid that the Asian woman at the dry cleaners would know what he was doing if he brought in his comforter to be cleaned. At other times I found myself grabbing for a tissue when he has a panic attack in the park. Yet, with each of his anxiety attacks, Ty is there talki
CrabbyPatty
In short, as a stand-alone story, The Windup is a bit of a "hot mess" but as the beginning of a new series by Kate McMurray, it's ..... okay. Ian and Ty meet when playing baseball in the NYC Rainbow League on the Brooklyn Hipsters team. They go from a one-night stand to fuck-buddy status pretty quickly, then gingerly work their way around their feelings for the rest of the book. In the meantime, we are introduced to former Yankee Mason as well as boyhood friends Nate and Carlos, who are the MCs ...more
Kelly
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, romance, sports
What I really liked about The Windup is the fact it's not 'insta-love'. This is the story of two guys who act on a sexual attraction and then wonder if it could be something more. Instead of falling head over heels and then fighting events conspiring to pull them apart, Ian and Ty are looking for reasons to be together. This struck me as a very realistic take on modern romance.

I can see how this might read as a little slow for some, though. The emotional investment takes a while to build up. Bu
Molly Basney
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Couldn't finish due to complete lack of chemistry between the characters. I wasn't invested in either of them and didn't like them. And I realize this is the start of a new series, but there were way too many side characters introduced at once.
Anke
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was ok, therefore 2 stars. It took me forever to finish and overall I found it rather boring.
Caroline Brand
Sep 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, 4-star-read, m-m
3.5 Stars
ItsAboutTheBook
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: whit
review can be read at It's About The Book

This was a fun story about a couple of guys who have commitment issues that fall in love. Ian because he has a bad track record of picking bad men and his job never keep him in place for long. Ty because he has self esteem issues despite appearing to be the care free life of the party type of guy. Ian grew up in New York but hated it. He reluctantly comes back to help restore an older hotel for a big paycheck. His friend Josh suggests he make friends
Love Bytes Reviews
May 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 heart review by Dan

Ian left Brooklyn when he got out of school and has never looked back. He had a supremely bad childhood, full of beatings and abuse from kids in the neighborhood because he is gay. He remembers exactly what spot on the sidewalk he lay bleeding on after one particularly bad beating which put him in the hospital. His mother still lives in the same house he grew up in, and although the neighborhood has gentrified around her, her house inside still looks like the 1980’s!

Ian has
Dallie P
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Said Ty," "Said Ian." Super small thing. But it annoyed me. A lot. Other than that, loved the book. Very fun read.
Catherine
Uh... This was a bit of a weird one for me. I think I was only lukewarm towards it because the build of the relationship felt...

*struggles for eloquence*

Too real?

(Nope. Clearly didn't find it.)

What I mean is that the relationship between Ty and Ian went from being a one night stand between two guys who thought the other was at least hot enough to bone, to sort-of friends with bennies, to exclusive-for-now-but-we're-still-not-quite-friends, to uh-I-think-I-might-maybe-possibly-love-you, to *pau
KA
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was pretty meh. I liked Kate McMurray's Out in the Field so I was looking forward to some more baseball romance, but this fell flat. It started out okay but soon became a play-by-play of every moment of their relationship - every tiny mood swing, every miscommunication, every time they wondered where they stood. Most scenes didn't further the plot at all, just kept being more of the same thing, or pages and pages of info dump about New York or them talking about their histories, which happe ...more
Jojo
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
First off, I love baseball. I love books about baseball. I really love queer romance books about baseball. Because of this, I love me some Kate McMurray.

This book, wasn’t my favorite from her. I loved the baseball parts and I really enjoyed romance between the characters and NYC. I fell a little more in love with the city by the end the book. I was really into the romance between Ty and Ian. I thought they were kind of wonderful together. I loved how Ty accepted Ian’s anxiety without being dism
AngelSakura
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Let me preface by saying I've enjoyed some of McMurray's other novels. I think that's what made it so unbelievable when I finally gave up at Chapter Eight.
Yup. #DNF

I gave it two stars because
1. The writing was clear. At no point did I have to backtrack and reread to understand what happened.
2. The characters were stiff, but weren't cardboard cutouts.

The reason I took off so many stars and #DNF is because there was just too much exposition. Too much of the characters in their own heads. Too litt
Mel Sparks
I thought this was...........boring. Ouch, sorry Kate McMurray but that's my honest opinion, I couldn't get into it, there wasn't enough to keep me remotely interested. A couple of gays playing baseball does not a riveting plot make (unless in the middle of a home run there's a zombie attack). **Sigh** this is the first one of, what I gathered to be, a series therefore I can only hope the others are better. As much as I wanted to like Ian and Ty, meh, I just wasn't feeling it. Ian was a nut case ...more
Diverse
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm from New York. I am a Yankee fan. I adore Kate McMurray! Put these three things together and it was a no brainer to get this book. It's ALWAYS a pleasure to read a book that is geographically accurate. Sometimes it gets past me if I've never been there but I've been to New York. Lived and visited. Now, anyone who knows me knows I get lost in a circle but that doesn't mean I can't follow if I've been. That said it was like an awesome tour. The creation of The Rainbow League and the clever nam ...more
Avid Reader
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Windup - Kate McMurray
M/M Romance
4 stars

I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

Ian is someone who has a past that we do not know much about. We are given hints that it was not a great one, but don't ever really get the whole story. All we ever really know is that he has no love for New York City.

Then you have Ty. While he is deemed the slut of the team, I definitely saw something deeper in his character. He is putting on a front - a shield.

While Ty and Ian find their
Inked Reads
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
fourstars
Ian is someone who has a past that we do not know much about. We are given hints that it was not a greatone, but don't ever really get the whole story. All we ever really know is that he has no love for New York City.

While Ty and Ian find their way through love, you catch glimpses of what makes Ty passionate, what makes Ian hesitant and how t
⚣Michaelle⚣
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance, jocks, series
2.8 Stars

I loved this cast of characters, but not so much Ian. He's my least favorite of all of the Rainbow League players.

The angsty self assessments and inability to discuss their feelings got on my nerves after a while...and for a self-appointed League Slut who never appears to want a relationship, Ty just seems to work a little too hard to convince Ian how awesome New York (and Brooklyn) really is now in order to entice him to stay.

I'm thinking the other characters will be more interesting a
Ea_reader
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-finished
I liked this pretty well. I've read a bunch of other Kate McMurray books and I wouldn't say this was my favorite, but it kept me engaged. It was kind of different from other books in the genre in that everything was kind of mellow and it was just the story of two guys who start dating and their relationship kind of goes in fits and starts. Ultimately, I wanted to feel a little more connected to the two of them, but I did enjoy it.
Suze
May 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this OK, a bit like the romances Ty does covers for.
I didn't really feel any intensity between Ian and Ty, maybe because each were holding a part of themselves back but I found them more irritating than sympathetic.
I enjoyed the baseball matches and certainly Carlos and Nate's dance looks to have a good bit of tension to look forward to.
Penny
May 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is not my favorite Kate McMurray novel. The build up is very long and drawn out which normally I wouldn't mind, but the character didn't draw me in. So, even though I liked the ending it didn't make up for the lack luster storyline.
Marbea E. Logan
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ian reminds me of myself full of anxiety and panicky. Tyler is a Ginger and that alone regardless of his Daddy insecurities issues makes him all the more attractive and unique. Josh was right all they needed was communication.
jules0623
Too many people! I didn't feel any connection between the MCs, partly because the author didn't give them enough 'screen time'. I'll give the next books a go simply because I've already bought them. Sadly, McMurray is edging her way off my auto-buy list.
Katrina Passick Lumsden
This one's okay, but like a lot of other readers, I just didn't feel any oomph behind the romance. The MCs were missing some spark. So while it was relatively well-written, it was a bit bland.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dreamspinner Press: The Windup by Kate McMurray 1 6 Apr 24, 2015 09:57PM
  • Match Maker
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • Cold War (Cold War, #1)
  • The Magic Broom
  • Changing Lines (Harrisburg Railers, #1)
  • The Holeshot (Holeshot, #1)
  • Bully & Exit (The Midwest Series, #1)
  • Point Shot Trilogy Boxed Set
  • How To Quit Playing Hockey
  • Winging It
  • Riding the Board
  • Outing the Quarterback (Long Pass Chronicles, #1)
  • See the Light (Safe Harbor, #1)
  • Exposed
  • A Sticky Wicket in Bollywood (International Men of Sports, #1)
  • Cricket
  • Enforcing Emory
  • Grand Slam
Kate McMurray writes smart romantic fiction. She likes creating stories that are brainy, funny, and of course sexy, with regular guy characters and urban sensibilities. She advocates for romance stories by and for everyone. When she’s not writing, she edits textbooks, watches baseball, plays violin, crafts things out of yarn, and wears a lot of cute dresses. She’s active in Romance Writers of Amer ...more

The Rainbow League (3 books)
  • Thrown a Curve (The Rainbow League, #2)
  • The Long Slide Home (The Rainbow League, #3)
“nihilism” 0 likes