Start by marking “The Ghostcrow” as Want to Read:
The Ghostcrow

The Ghostcrow

(Tales of Andor)

Seeing ghosts has plagued Dumdie Swartz since early childhood.
Afraid that ghost guts might stick to her if she stepped through them, thirteen-year-old Dumdie Swartz still cringes when she encounters them.

Her strange attempts to avoid spirits create a lonely life.
Her sisters constantly mock her strange behavior, her parents are clueless, and her social life is zero.
Published March 1st 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Ghostcrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghostcrow

Start your review of The Ghostcrow
Marta Tandori
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Survival Tale for All Seasons...Dolores Swartz is different from most thirteen-year-old girls. She sees ghosts and thinks some of them are out to get her. Her own family thinks shes strange and one of her older sisters even gives her the nickname Dumdie because she loved to hum and sing when she was younger - something Dumdie no longer allows herself the pleasure of doing. She refers to her family members in third person titles (probably to further distance herself from a family she feels ...more
C.D. Gorri
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story/novella featuring Dolores Swartz, or Dumdie as she is called by most of the people who know her, especially her family. Dumdie is not your average teen, she has a secret, special ability. She can see ghosts! Her ability terrifies her and she spends most of her time trying to avoid the misty people or ghosts. In this book she learns about death, friendship and acceptance.

I think the author does a very good job bringing the reader into Dumdie's world. I was oftentimes
Mareena
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes short stories
Recommended to Mareena by: Amazon
The residents of the world of Andor live in a parallel realm very much like our own. However, the major difference between our world and that of Andor - is that the curtain between the physical world and the supernatural one is much thinner than we would think. As a result of this, the residents of Andor are quicker than most people to ascribe a supernatural or magical motive to everything that happens.

Thirteen-year-old Delores 'Dumdie' Swartz feels like an outsider within her own family. She's
Kieran
Mar 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author M.K. Theodoratus writes the Andor series, named after the supernatural world in which the stories take place. These are generally short stories, often between fifteen and fifty pages in length. This story, The Ghostcrow, is only slightly over fifty pages and acts as a prequel to one of the authors other stories, The Ghost in the Closet. Both stories focus on the same protagonist, Dumdie Swartz, who has the gift/curse of being able to see ghosts. Much like The Ghost in the Closet, in which ...more
Joawmeens
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dolores "Dumdie" Swartz is afraid of ghosts. Which is a perfectly reasonable, albeit somewhat irrational fear. The problem is, for Dumdie, it is perfectly rational, because she can actually see ghosts. When Dumdie witnesses bullies from her school steal pumpkins from her neighbor, Mr Carson (who later dies due to injuries from the robbery), she is forced to keep quiet by one of those bullies, Kyle. But Kyle is no ordinary bully; he is possessed by some malevolent force, determined to take Dumdie ...more
Aneirys
I think short stories are the best because they left you wanting more and this was no exception. Ghostcrow is an intriguing paranormal story about a girl who sees ghost, she has not a very supporting family but she finds comfort in her family and her neighbors shared garden. There is also a ghost dog which is always a plus, dog always make every story better.

I like the fact that it was straight to the point in every aspect, from the way it describe the abilities of the principal character
Kenny
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've come to appreciate short stories, especially if they're great and get right down to it. I'm left wondering what else would happen, wondering whats up with the character's friends. I guess the best way to sum this up is how a story could feel complete while still leaving me in wonder? Wonder is a good thing in my opinion and makes for some of greatest stories.
Delores is a young freshman in highschool that has a gift she didnt ask for. It seems like such a curse considering the pressure she
Pamela
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novella was good and the story hooked me until the end. Though, in my opinion, this could have been a novel and I hope Ms. Theodoratus takes my suggestion. I'd like to see more adventures of teenage Dumdie, in YA novels. Though since she is in high school, maybe write the story that is less of a middle school read as this one felt to me, and upgrade the next ones to young adult.

I admit I'd like to take her familyespecially her parentsand knock their heads together. All are such unsympathetic
Tricia Drammeh
Aug 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dumdie sees ghosts and they scare the daylights out of her, but she is about to discover there are worst things than ghosts. Something weird is happening in her town and Dumdie is caught right in the middle. Will she ever see her special abilities as anything less than a curse?

This is such a great book and Dumdie is a fantastic character. She has a uniquely special way of viewing the world around her not just the supernatural world, but the human world as well. At her familys insistence, she
Heather
May 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This short story or novella is about a teenage girl named Dolores Swartz who everyone calls Dumdie. She sees ghosts and often acts irrationally in order to avoid walking through a ghost or seeing them. She is terrified of the ghosts and it makes her looks awkward and crazy and times. Her older sisters tease her and she doesn't have any friends.

Dumdie enjoys working in her shared garden with her neighbor. But one day while working in the garden two boys from school come and try to steal pumpkins.
T.M.B.A. Corbett
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short story that is a quick enjoyable read. I could really relate to the main character Dumdie because I too felt like a completely misunderstood misfit with no friends growing up. The story is a strong one about survival and making it through life as a misfit. I enjoyed the plot about Dumdie's difficulties dealing with Kyle the bully after the death of her friend the neighbor widower. Everyone will feel the emotions in this short story and I think they will like the end/moral of the ...more
Teresa
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our main character, Dumdie is a teen with a problem. She sees ghosts, she feels them too. No one else in town seems to have this ability so her reactions to the ghosts makes her appear to be very odd. As I got further into this book I felt some of her reactions and thoughts reminded me of Autism. I might be wrong, tho. ;) Not the ghost seeing thing but her reluctance to be touched by people or to even be around them much. I had a hard time fitting into this story as it's not my usual genre. ...more
Wayne Elsner
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dorry Swartz sees ghosts. She sees them in various places and often in the same place and they scare her and it has had a major effect on her life. This short story has a small coming of age feel to it as Dorry, or Dumdie as she is known, starts to grow up.

The Ghostcrow is a quick and easy read that should appeal to young and old alike.

I was given a copy for evaluation and an unbiased review
Jerome’s Cat
Blake
Nov 16, 2019
Daniela
Jan 04, 2020
M. K. Theodoratus has been intrigued by fantasy since she discovered the Oz books. She has traveled through many fantasy worlds since then. When she's not reading about other writer's worlds, she's creating her own -- mostly that of the Far Isle Half-Elven where she explores the social and political influences of population genetics in a hybrid elf/human poplustion.

A sixth grade English assignment