Start by marking “Job Hunt (The Power of Zero, #1)” as Want to Read:
Job Hunt (The Power of Zero, #1)

Job Hunt

(The Power of Zero #1)

You don’t greet your new boss dressed like an underage rent boy. But when Jack Horwood—ace hacker and ex-MI6 operative—opens the door to Gareth Flynn, he's too busy to worry over details like that. And anyway, his potential new boss is his former Commanding Officer – the same guy Jack has had a crush on since he was seventeen. So he should understand, right?

When he applied
Published May 13th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Job Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Job Hunt

Cadiva
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfectly paced romantic suspense

This is the first full length story which features Jack Horwood and his merry band of spies, police officers, ex-military bods and hackers and it's a doozy.

Jack's after a pimp who's offering up underage boys and he's skirting a fine line in dealing with the fall out of his own youthful experiences.

Him and Gareth are muddling along and trying to find a way of being together without all the baggage that comes along with it and Jack's having to learn how to deal wit
Avid Reader
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Job Hunt – Jackie Keswick
M/M Mystery, Romance, Power-Control

I was given this book for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

Jack and Flynn… where do I start? I really enjoyed this book. It made me feel so deeply at times. I really enjoyed the technology aspect and the back story of Jack. I thought that everything that was included was both necessary and integral to the story. I was glad, because often times, there is fluff, but this story did not really have that.

The mystery in this s
Feliz
Short version:

Explosions! Flash! Bang! (and bang-bang ;-) )Superheroes!
Great action-thriller. Read it. Period.

Longer version:

If Sherlock Holmes and Lethal Weapon’s Riggs ever had a child together, he might be something like Jack Horwood. Insane computer skills, a brilliant mind, photographic memory, chameleon-like versatility, single-minded determination, damn near clairvoyant savvy, relentless perseverance, incomparable fighting prowess, stunning beauty—Jack Horwood is a superhuman in skinti
Becca
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First and foremost, TRIGGERS. There's not one in the blurb, but I don't know if I missed it in the book or not. This deals a lot with abused, kidnapped, beaten children. Taken by a pimp, sold out to people. It deals with violence, flashbacks, that kind of stuff. If any of it is a trigger for you, PLEASE be careful.
For anyone else, holy shitballs. This is one HELL of a book. Damn. I'm still reeling from it. So so good.
For Jack, it's time for a new job. He's had enough of some of the crap he done
Yoshi
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
It's more like a 2.5*
I don't know what to say about this story. It's an okay read, some parts were great but… I have the feeling that I got lost somewhere. There were two story lines happening at the same time.
I don't feel the chemistry between the MCs, not much development of their relationship, maybe they were too busy going to work and save the world.
And the ending, what was that? Not sure if I will read book 2.
Claudia
wow this book was great. I am so happy I started it ... although it took me awhile to even put it on my TBR. don't know why and now I am really sorry that I waited that long.

there are so many great characters in it, I don't know where to start ... the MCs were really interesting and I loved their dynamics. I would have loved to see more of Gareth because there is a lot of open questions ... but maybe there will be more background information in the next book.

also there are a lot of secondary cha
Serena Yates
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, read-2016
‘Job Hunt’ is a remarkable novel on many levels, and I am having a very hard time organizing my thoughts into something that comes close to doing it justice. From the spine-tingling tension around more than one subplot to the emotionally superintense romance between Jack and Gareth, this story is realistic, held me in its clutches from beginning to end, and still left me wanting more. There are a few aspects that stood out for me. The setting is London, so a lot of the locations, behaviors, and ...more
liz
This book was much more than I expected. It’s the author’s first novel, and I sincerely hope it’s not the last. While the blurb describes Jack’s former jobs and current plans gone awry, I wasn’t prepared for the depth to his character.

The blurb feels like Jack the Superhero. And that’s true. He’s an amazing guy who uses all of his wicked computer skills to take on the underworld of pimps, but he’s also a man needing taking care of. Enter Gareth Flynn. Or better yet, re-enter. Gareth is the man
Lisa The Novel Approach
Jack Horwood has some unique job searching skills, and he uses his expertise to land an interview at Nancarrow Mining with Donald Frazer. Jack is a system security specialist, first and foremost, but he has other talents too. He joined the army at the young age of seventeen, became an MI6 agent after leaving the army, and now has his own personal crusade. As a young child he faced the worst type of desertion by his mother, and faced sexual abuse.

Gareth Flynn was once a CO for the military. He’s
Adrienne -kocham czytać-
Golden. Deep, involved, fast-paced, dark, and disturbing. Brilliant.

Very highly recommended. Distinct, wonderfully developed characters--whom I loved, a very strong story, and harsh subject matter.

The only down part was that I thought it was going to be a lot more slow-burn on the romance (because of the blurb), so that was a bit disappointing at first, but then I understood why, and it all worked well.

An extremely good read overall. Will probably haunt my thoughts for a while to come.

P.S. What
Kade Boehme
May 15, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: dnf
The DNF isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think I wasn't in the headspace so mystery novels with their wordy explanations feel tedious right now. I think I liked this. I definitely like Jack. I don't get Gareth. Tho I feel like it's a GFY but it's not clarified... Like, at all. We spend apt of time getting to know Jack but at 60% I know only that Gareth's favorite sex fantasy is Scarlett Johanssen as Black Widow, he served s Jack, and he's bossy.

Will come back to this one day.
Aviva
I suppose I should start by saying I was one of the beta-readers for this book and the author is a friend, but if you have read some of my reviews, you know I’m honest about my books so the fact that I read and reread parts of this book and enjoyed it every time should be a proof of quality ;)
Other people have probably already given the main points of the story so I won’t go there. I’m just going to write about what I love about this story, because for a mystery intertwined with a love story, it
Love Bytes Reviews
May 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5 Heart Review by Amber

Jackie Keswick is a new author to me and I’m actually really glad I picked up this book. She is without a doubt and without question an amazing writer, talented and I look forward to more stories.

One thing that needs to be mentioned is this is a crime, suspense-thriller investigative story first, the romance comes way second. Obviously, I would have loved Gareth and Jack’s attraction to be the forefront because the potential there was unbelievably explosive. They had sev
Teresa
****Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance®****

4.25 Stars - Story Review:

Job Hunt was an action packed, suspense filled ride with great characters and a worthy cause. It played out like a great movie, but without the inevitable plot holes.

We had a sexy yet troubled main character in Jack who was highly skilled both in the field and behind a computer. We had Gareth who kept a close watch on Jack’s back and made sure he had what he needed both in the field and in bed, plus a huge cast of supporting char
Joyfully Jay
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sue
A Joyfully Jay review.

I thoroughly enjoyed Job Hunt from start to finish. Jack and Gareth are wonderful creations and the multi-layered plot kept me hooked. Job Hunt has everything from political intrigue and financial corruption, to a desperate, intense chase to save the young victims of a prostitution ring. And while the varying narrative threads occasionally get a bit tangled, the author’s strong voice and the well developed characters make almost every facet of this book work in th
Natalie
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, kindle-loaned, amazon
1sr read 9/1/15 Awesome

This was so incredibly detailed yet so subtle in adding pieces to each character. Loved Jack. Incredibly complex, genius, troubled man, using his past to forge his present. Gareth was everything he needed. Complex and empathetic, loving Jack as the man he knew before and learning who he really is now. And they meshed so well together. They never spoke of love but you could see it building and influencing them in the best ways. Excellent secondary characters. Gripping and s
Claire

Job Hunt had me dazed and a bit confused with loads of questions floating around my old lady brain distracting me. Questions like what did some of the secondary characters look like because I couldn't picture them at all. Why was a Dr. running a Metropolitan police operation? What was her doctorate in? Would Jack, in MI6 for a year be doing undercover work? All things considered this seemed a bit quick to me, even for someone ex army. Is it? Going purely by conjecture I would have thought traini
Amazonaute
Feb 26, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dnf

All the elements of this recipe did not work for me.
Teetee
Jul 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ack, I hate trying to remember my thoughts on a book weeks after I’ve finished it, but real life intervened. I tend to like the trope of mentor/mentee relationships so I quite enjoyed this one! I did, unfortunately read the blurb and put together some assumptions on my own so it didn’t quite unveil the way I anticipated it but man did I love it. For some reason I pictured Jack as younger, and kind of a slacker but Jack is anything but. He looks young but he’s actually close to 30 and a kick ass ...more
Morgan  Skye
May 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Jack used to be under Gareth when they both served in the military. Jack got out of the military because he couldn’t hide his attraction to his officer any more. Now Gareth is out as well and went searching for and found Jack on the outside. Gareth wants Jack both as his work partner and hopefully more.

The couple quickly moves from heated attraction to attempts at consummation that get interrupted time and again until finally they are able to make their connection.

The rest of the story is the s
Lila Hunter
Job Hunt is a complex thriller with multi-dimensional characters, and complicated twists and turns. There are enough questions and mysteries to keep the reader into the story and guessing its outcome. Following both investigations, it’s not complicated, but the Nancarrow Mining’s cyber attacks plotline was not as well thought as the one involving Jack’s undercover work.

I’m glad I listen to this story because all the distinct voices helped with the POV changes. Also, the narrator gave it an authe
Shelby
I really enjoyed my reading of this book. Solid 4.5 star read. The story leaves you wanting to know more about Jack. Not all of his past gets explained and I feel like I've gotten just the peak into the awesomeness that is Jack Horwood. He's kicking butt and taking names and being on his watch list is a really bad idea. Heck with his computer skills he could wipe you out completely. :D

I liked the mix of venues with this story. MI-6 is involved, Scotland Yard is involved, and heck civilian compan
Kate
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I beta'd this book and the author is a friend.
This being said, I've beta'd books that made me cringe, and this one wasn't one of them. Jack Hornwood is a smooth, capable, tortured soul kind of guy who never gives up. Not on himself, not on others, and not on his chance at his big love. Gareth is more like a rock compared to Jack's occasional mercurial quests for justice. Gareth has got his back no matter what and regardless of the situation. I see many a good story with these two gu
Skye Blue ☆*~゚ლ(´ڡ`ლ)~*☆
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, m-m
This is just the tip of the iceberg of Jack. We get that he's a BAMF. Besides being a great hacker, he also had a personal crusade going on. Helping kids that are in the same situation he lived through in his youth. But his past isn't fully spelled out. If this was a stand alone, it would bug me. It's not a stand alone though, so it's perfect. Now I have more incentive to read the next book. I want to know more about what makes Jack tick.

There is a lot going on in this book. Jack is in the cente
Jen
Colette
I liked this one a lot. It was a good mix of industrial spy novel, police/detective story, espionage and romance. I have a weakness for damaged characters and Jack hit all my buttons, I loved how he and Gareth were able to work together and how Gareth learned to be who and what Jack needed. Based on the epilogue, this looks like that star of series, if so I look forward to the next book.
Pates
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
The suspense, mystery, and action are definitely ON in this book. Jack is amazing! And I adored Gareth too. The secondary characters were all fantastic. Annnnnnd, there is going to be more to come. I can't wait!
Lesdmark
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book felt like a series of weirdly disconnected/connected events that were strung together with some sex scenes thrown in. The main characters to me had no chemistry whatsoever and were a bit flat. The book had a lot of promise and unfortunately it failed to live up to it.
May 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary
Not for me.
Shawnie Nicole
May 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
sweet hell this was too good.
Dreamspinner Press: Job Hunt by Jackie Keswick 1 10 May 14, 2015 12:05AM
  • A Solitary Man
  • Corruption (Diversion #3)
  • The Heart of the Jungle
  • Shift (Infected #5)
  • Maloney's Law (Maloney's Law #1)
  • Murder and Mayhem (Murder and Mayhem, #1)
  • Bone to Pick (Digging Up Bones, #1)
  • Once Upon A Haunted Moor (Tyack & Frayne, #1)
  • Tracefinder: Contact (Tracefinder, #1)
  • A Tooth For a Fang (Leader Murders #1)
  • Every Move He Makes
  • Unfortunate Son (Sons, #1)
  • Pale as a Ghost (Duncan Andrews Thrillers, #1)
  • City Wolf (Axton & Leander, #2)
  • A Hard Winter Rain
  • Home the Hard Way
  • Bitter Legacy
  • A Time to Rise
Jackie Keswick was born behind the Iron Curtain with itchy feet, a bent for rocks and a recurrent dream of stepping off a bus in the middle of nowhere to go home. She's worked in a hospital and as the only girl with 52 men on an oil rig, spent a winter in Moscow and a summer in Iceland and finally settled in the country of her dreams with her dream team: a husband, a cat, a tandem, a hammer and a ...more

The Power of Zero (5 books)
  • The Power of Zero (The Power of Zero #0)
  • Ghosts (The Power of Zero, #2)
  • House Hunt (The Power of Zero, #3)
  • Swings & Roundabouts (The Power of Zero, #4)