Start by marking “The Bird and the Elephant” as Want to Read:
The Bird and the Elephant

The Bird and the Elephant

The bird is impatient and hot headed while the elephant is calming and wise. Will the bird learn anything from their encounter? Will you learn anything from meeting them both? Philosophy is not here to provide the answers - but to get you to think about the questions. Be a part of their wonderful journey and see what answers you discover.
Published March 27th 2015 by Troubador Publishing Ltd (first published March 22nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Bird and the Elephant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bird and the Elephant

Start your review of The Bird and the Elephant
Susan
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Philosophy for children? Is it possible? Yes!!! This endearing book takes you for a ride with the bird and the elephant. They discuss several topics. The bird doesn't agree with the elephant. As they discussed their different topics the bird sees the elephant's thoughts.

The bird is written in poetry which makes it all the more fun to read and ponder their thoughts. The book is geared for children but I think it is perfect for anyone to read from children to adults.

Disclai
Maria Paiz
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is for children, it says on the cover
but the thoughts that it raises, you soon will discover
are fit for just everyone, at any age
making you wonder and think like a sage.

It’s written in verses that flow very nicely,
with likeable characters, nothing too fancy
Just a bird that discovers a clever new friend
and an elephant with wisdom and wit to no end.

I arrived at this book by sheer mistake,
I was looking for books by another names
Sararisom
Jun 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Good
Miss Meghan's Class
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2-review
I was really impressed with this book. It makes you think, and the "discussion poetry" is well written and enjoyable. I like the artwork as well. I'm not sure what the author means by "young," though. I tried it with a couple of different ages - and it was a little hard for several different age groups to grasp the concept at first. But they did enjoy the discussions that arose from the story and asked me to read it several times to them. After a couple of weeks, they started asking some really ...more
Connie
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why did the bird choose to land on the elephants back for a rest? Was it only because he thought that the elephant was a rock or was there more at work here? Could it have been a choice made long ago, or was it meant to be?

At first the bird is disdainful of the elephant. He thinks that it isn't possible that an elephant who has a limited area that he can see, could have greater "sight" than the bird who can fly in the sky.

This wonderful, simple, rhyming story is a great
Donna Maguire
I really loved this book, it covers a chance meeting between a bird and an elephant and a number of philosophical subject areas that they discuss as they walk through the jungle together. The book is beautifully written and I could easily read it again, its easy to follow as the author has given each voice a different text style. It is not too heavy and is just enough to make you think and question, the book does exactly what the author meant it to do.I recived a copy of this book in from the pu ...more
Mona Loise
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful! I was smiling almost the entire time I was reading this. It definitely made my heart light. <3 I have to applaud Dominic Smith for writing this brilliant book. Thank you! It's such a happy and simple read.
Susan Clay
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Endearing and honest, a true delight- a smart tale of wisdom, from darkness thru light! :) The life lessons in this book are creatively crafted into a genuine feel-good story for all ages.
MR PAUL R HITCHCOCK
Dec 10, 2016
Matthew Cooke
Feb 19, 2018
Liz
rated it did not like it
Nov 07, 2019
Fiona Leslie
Nov 17, 2018
Lorivel Fabaleña II
Oct 10, 2018

Dominic has been interested in poetry and story writing since a young child. This love grew and blossomed into a music career; writing songs and lyrics and still performing all over the world. As part of a band he has won the Mercury Prize, a Mobo and a Q award in the late 90's. A career in radio soon followed, hosting a national chart show which kept him close to the music and rhymes he loves.

Th
“You say love's so important, but how can you prove it?
Love is like soap, it works if you use it.”
4 likes