Start by marking “Fear the Sky (The Fear Saga #1)” as Want to Read:
Fear the Sky (The Fear Saga #1)

Fear the Sky

(The Fear Saga #1)

"Real science in Science Fiction. This is a must read for fans of SF." >(John S. Gertsch, Amazon Reviewer)

Perfect for fans of Peter F. Hamilton, Iain M. Banks, and Orson Scott Card, Fear the Sky is a hard-hitting sci-fi thriller that will have you looking at the stars in a different way.

In eleven years' time, a million members of an alien race will arrive at Earth. Years b
Audiobook
Published March 3rd 2015 by Podium Publishing (first published April 26th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Fear the Sky, please sign up.
Stephen Moss I don't think this has adult themes, per se, though some scenes have some fairly graphic violence and adult language. As others have said, I would thi…moreI don't think this has adult themes, per se, though some scenes have some fairly graphic violence and adult language. As others have said, I would think its is nothing that a teenager would balk at. Hope you enjoy it. (less)
Jackie I'm currently about in the middle of the audiobook. I can see where the loooong convoluted sentences might make it seem difficult when reading text, b…moreI'm currently about in the middle of the audiobook. I can see where the loooong convoluted sentences might make it seem difficult when reading text, but I absolutely love this narrator. He uses his voice perfectly to keep the idea on track and you don't get lost in the long sidetracks that Moss likes to take. They simply add to the texture and depth of the story. Overall it's a delightful read(listen) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it and looking forward to the others.(less)

Start your review of Fear the Sky (The Fear Saga #1)
Bailey
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I'm not giving this book one star. I'm not even sure why I finished this book.

And yet... I'm not sure why I want to read the next book in the series, either.

Clearly it did something right, but GOODNESS, the quality of the prose was painful at times. Excess commas, comma splices, and run on sentences were all over the place. I put it up with it, though. I made it through to the end, despite the weird pacing, where months would pass with no comment, and then a chapter would be sp
Smythe99
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This appears to be Stephen's first novel and it is a first class piece of work. After a slow start, the pace builds rapidly. This is no ordinary SF novel, the depth of the characters, the speed and complexity of the plot, the technology encountered and developed by the protagonists and, most of all the power politics puts this in the top echelon of science fiction and even general fiction. Don't start reading it if you don't have time to keep at it, it will devour your spare time.

Well done Step
Jono Hayward
Mar 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Badly written, badly edited, immature in its execution... And yet difficult to put down. This book manages to nail that somewhat rare combination of being utterly trashy but still compelling enough to keep you reading it (and just maybe to read its sequels, like I did. I'm still not sure why).

The story is cliché, the dialogue is unrealistic, and I can only think of one female character who isn't blatantly objectified by having her physicality described at length in her introduction while glossin
Kaleb Fischer
Jun 27, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible. The worst book I've experienced all year. It read like it was written by a 14 year old. The poor sentence and paragraph structure as well as questionable grammar and vocabulary use are are very distracting. There is a total lack of nuance and the author is very fond of "telling" instead of "showing" (like the book equivalent of Wiseau's "The Room"). There was no suspension of disbelief because the author has no understanding of how people interact/work or how groups of people behave. M ...more
Sean T.
Sep 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many books where humans encounter aliens, the aliens are knowable even if their technology is advanced. Take for example Worldwar: In the Balance by Harry Turtledove; the aliens were advanced when compared to the humans they had come to conquer, but their technology was understandable. Moss throws that concept completely out the window and describes a technology--and the entities on Earth that embody it--that is so advanced it is impossible to comprehend.

This creates a problem for the book i
Gerod
May 24, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Should be called fear the thesaurus. Couldn't finish it, too hard to get past the shoddy writing style. Sorry. Might have some fun ideas but a third of the way through I was bored. Not my type of story.

Mr. Moss, here are some synonyms for 'vast': huge, extensive, expansive, broad, wide, sweeping, boundless, immeasurable, limitless, infinite; enormous, immense, great, massive, colossal, tremendous, mighty, prodigious, gigantic, gargantuan, mammoth, monumental;
giant, towering, mountainous, titanic
Sinisa Mikasinovic
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-Fi fans
This was a fun one!
In an omg-the-end-is-coming scary kind of a way.

Alien race is coming. Obviously, they are more technologically advanced, otherwise we'd be coming to them. So... be exhilarated or be afraid?

Afraid, as we soon find out. They already did to their planet what we're now doing to ours and need to find a new home. And they really like our planet.

But they know we have nukes.

And the fear of making the entire planet uninhabitable in our pathetic efforts to defend ourselves made them com
AudioBookReviewer
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ABR's full Fear the Sky audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

A great book that trips over itself.

Mankind is infiltrated by powerful, greedy aliens who are going to wipe humankind off the planet so they can use it for themselves. However, they need to do this subtlety and efficiently, so mankind doesn’t find out, panic and launch nukes. No sense taking over a planet if it is spoiled. The aliens plant personalities into eight, super-strong, smart androids who can and
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This feels more like a political action thriller, even though there are aliens and a bit of advanced tech. The setting is present-day, and the focus is primarily on the human side of the struggle so this is probably more like near-fi than true sci-fi. But that's just being picky, because I loved it! The story was very engaging, and I couldn't stop until it was over. I thought the author did an excellent job of deftly weaving the alien threat into modern day life, just enough to make it believabl ...more
Shawn
Aug 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was freaking awesome and I could hardly put it down. The character development and technical detail was great. So many layers going on. The story got more and more action packed with small skirmishes on land, and larger ones the atmosphere and in the air. War planes battling, aliens androids duking it out, subterfuge, tactical warfare, massive explosions, espionage, sci-fi..you name it. I was thoroughly impressed and can't wait for the continuation. If I had to complain about one thin ...more
Kevin
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WINNER!

What a gripping story. We have a combination of excellent sci-fi with espionage, infiltration, military action, generally smart characters with excellent and varied personalities - including the AI and embedded personalities.

There's action on the sea, land, air, and space. The character Neil almost reminds me of Ellie from Contact. Humble beginnings but blossoms into full-blown center of focus. The military officers are more patriotic than selfish.

The dialog is mature and interesting. The
Lenny S
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a surprise to me. It lulls you into a false sense of security, even as it hints at something bigger, and then it really hits you. Then things return to normal and it seems almost safe for a while again and then the ground opens up underneath you and you are falling on a roller coaster to the very end. A lot going on here. Very creative. I am super keen for the next book.
Yossi
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is what a book would be like if Tom Clancy wrote sci-fi. A fun thriller, albeit a bit simplistic, with technical undertones and non-stop action. My only complaint is the characters. They are too perfect. It feels like Stephen Moss is in love with them and they can do no wrong.
Soo
Mar 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Notes:

RC Bray is great!
Story has promise but the author is going the route of juggling many events/POV's.
Trub Htes
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A slow, but necessary start to this book gives way to a helluva ride that i can only describe as a mix of the Three Body Problem and Terminator series. Even then, this book does such a great job of feeling unique in a genre that can often feel like a palette swap between books. I'm starting the second book immediately!
Aaron Bunce
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Fear the Sky sounds interesting enough. The synopsis hooked me, after all, and being on a huge sci-fi kick, I eagerly added it to my Audible library. Oh boy. Disclaimer: I gave up on this book at 20%, roughly 12 chapters in. You might say, "you didn't give it a chance." But I counter, at 20% in, I had already dedicated over 4 and a half hours! If a book can't hook you in that time, there is a problem. Or many problems!

Fear the Sky moves at an arduous pace, not unlike tree sap in the cold seasons
Antonio
All alien invasions are not alike!
(an audiobook review)

This story will take you down the a path to a whole other way our lonely blue world could be invaded. For once, the reasons why are thoroughly explained. Its not just some random invasion. A complete plan is presented and the story is told from several sides as this tale spreads out.

That characters are pretty well explained. Some a bit one directional in their purpose but its not done poorly. Coming to planet with near "terminator" like abil
Banner
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alien, sci-fi
This definitely had a Niven feel to it. An Alien invasion story that involves characters from around the world, different cultures and background all coming together to save humanity. I thought the plot was well developed without dragging. Once the action started it was hold on to your set time.

The aliens themselves were extremely interesting and as with many trilogies we don't get as much info as we would like in this first book. The aliens did not pass my personal test of "alienness". But I be
Jimbo
Jun 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is brilliant. Really grabs hold of you and doesn't let you off, which is why I found myself still reading it at 1:15 in the morning before finally finding a chapter end where I could pause.

However, there are a number of spelling/grammar issues in it (you're instead of your, loosing instead of losing), which surprised me. Needs a better editor.

Really looking forward to the next one though.
Erika Warner
Apr 13, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tediously Boring

Do not get this book! I do not understand the Raving reviews. I skipped pages only to find that still nothing was happening. Author needs to get his head out of his own butt.
Trae
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Riveting! A nail biter from start to finish. It is full of science fiction technology that is grounded just enough in real science that you believe that the fiction can really happen. This aspect pulls the reader in deeper than if it made this new technology more magic than science. Good book!
Jen
I gave this about 30 minutes of the audiobook and then gave up. Despite RC Bray's performance (which is always stellar), I just got bored. Things didn't get going fast enough for me, I guess. I'm sure it's a good book, it just wasn't for me.
Ross Alon
It's an Okay book. Like the twists and turn of the story, but the characters all sound the same.
A nice read, will give the next one a try.
Michael Mercer
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting take on alien invasion. A good read. Hope to get the remaining books in the series at some point and read them, too.
Susan
Oct 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fear the Sky by Stephen Moss An odd comet is visible through telescopes and scientist Neal Danielson is intrigued. His calculated predictions of how the comet will break up turn out correct. However, there are pieces that enter the atmosphere, each one crashing into an ocean at different points around the globe. With a small covert US government team, they try to locate one of these objects. Their efforts start a chain of events that is just the beginning in what may very well be the endgame for ...more
Chris Moyer
Fun alien invasion adventure

While the writing feels a little uneven, and the POV shifts are a bit jarring, this is still a fun, quick sci-fi read.
Rhiannon
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure this is great for some people, it was a serious struggle for me
John
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting, gripping and just absolutely brilliant!

Easily classifiable as an action and thriller story, this book is definitely hard science fiction at heart. And what a fantastic job the author does and hitting all the genre points.

The story starts with a slowness that is crafted to lull you into a false sense security and hints at a larger impending doom looming in the sky and the invasion headed to Earth. Although there are quite a bit of members, the cast of characters is slowly introduced; al
Meghan
I did not expect to enjoy this as much as I did. I'm still reaching to play more. It's a bit hard knowing the other two books are not out on audio yet. I bought it strictly because I am a huge fan of RC Bray (narrator). I want him to narrate every scifi book I ever read now. Truthfully, I'd listen to him narrate the dictionary. I think I have a voice crush.

This doesn't get a full 5 stars mostly because this went overly long. There were a lot of places that should have been edited down or even ta
Jacob Cooper
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit, I was skeptical about this book. It started out pretty good but being in third person omniscient was a little jarring to me at first. You are never in anyone's point of view for long and that is typically not done in books too much now. So, the point-of-view ping pong will take a little getting used to. HOWEVER, once I settled into it, it was a great thrill ride. The concepts were well thought out. I always appreciate good science in a science "fiction" book, but obviously if it ...more
Book one of the Fear Saga 3 7 Aug 04, 2019 10:34PM

• Critical Mass (Expeditionary Force, #10)
  • Freefall (Mavericks, #2)
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force, #1)
  • Valkyrie (Expeditionary Force Book 9)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force Book 8)
  • SpecOps (Expeditionary Force, #2)
  • Zero Hour (Expeditionary Force, #5)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Deathtrap (Mavericks, #1)
  • Titanborn (Children of Titan, #1)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • Commune: Book One (Commune #1)
  • Trouble on Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3.5)
  • Commune: Book Three (Commune #3)
  • Commune: Book Two (Commune #2)
Stephen Moss was born in England, but spent time as a child in wildly diverse places, including several years in Brazil, Belgium, and Malaysia.

He eventually settled in New York, but still travels avidly, something he uses as inspiration and input to his writing. Stephen is a fan of Hard SF by masters such as Iain M. Banks, Orson Scott Card, Peter F. Hamilton and the many other fantastic writers cr

The Fear Saga (3 books)
  • Fear the Survivors (The Fear Saga, #2)
  • Fear the Future (The Fear Saga #3)

News & Interviews

“Meetings were, almost by definition, the product of the indecisive mind, and so they were usually run, and often populated, by indecisive people.” 8 likes