Start by marking “Bless Me, Father” as Want to Read:
Bless Me, Father

Bless Me, Father

(Bless Me, Father #1)

The inspiration for the hit London Weekend Television series of the same name, this is one confessional you’ll want to make a point of visiting

Young Neil Boyd has just finished divinity school and has been newly ordained as a priest. His first post? St. Jude’s parish, a corner of London with a raucous congregation full of Irish immigrants. The flock is an odd pairing with
Published March 24th 2015 by Open Road Media (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Bless Me, Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bless Me, Father

Sara J. (kefuwa)
A (fictional) humourous look at the priestly ministry in the 50's through the eyes of newly ordained Fr. Neil and for his first posting is sent to St. Jude's parish in London. There he meets the parish priest Fr. Duddleswell, a 'crafty & cantankerous' personality full of witticisms that cause me no end of chuckles. Together they minister to the mostly Irish congregation and along with their housekeeper Mrs. Pring (who is always at odds with Fr. Duddleswell to comic effect) paints a light hea ...more
Angie Rhodes
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Father Duddleswell, is a priest, who is a plump mischievous little man, with a glint in his eye, and Father Boyd his new Parish Priest, along with house keeper Mrs Pring, Bless me Father will have you laughing out loud. If you enjoyed James Herriot's Vet books, you will love these. They did make a TV series based on them, with Arthur Lowe as Father Duddleswell, well worth watching, and just as funny as the books.
Richard
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Yes, even though I'm not a religious person, I have a soft spot for priests, especially if they're amusing or solve mysteries. The author of this book, and a handful of sequels, was at one time a priest and theology prof, back in the 1950s. So he has a great deal of first-hand experience in the milieu.

Briefly, the narrator is a young English priest, freshly ordained, who is assigned to a parish with an older and rounder Irish priest (Fr Duddleswell) and the housekeeper (Mrs Pring). (These two ar
Bryan
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious British humor-laced story.
Janka H.
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shenanigans in the clerical's robe.

Fr Neil Boyd, a young priest in his first parish of St Jude's, needs to have all his wits next to him when put under the wings of eccentric older priest Fr Duddleswell and their housekeeper Mrs. Pring.

A cheek-in-tongue kind of stories. Sometimes witty, sometimes naughty. Being Catholic myself, I laughed a lot, the British deadpan humour is catchy. But I can't help myself to think that the book intends more to be witty for the sake of the witty.
I laughed, but al
Kathie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first in a series about a Catholic priest stationed in Ireland. I thought it might be a little like the series by Jan Karon about an Episcopal priest in the US, but it is quite different. Well, the same in that it chronicles events in the life of each priest, but different in the way each priest is different. The Episcopal priest, Fr. Tim, is a lovely man, lots of friends, kind to all-even if he doesn't always feel like being kind. The Catholic priest, Fr. Duddleswell, is a bit of a ...more
Reading Fury
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first in the series, Bless Me, Father introduces us to mainstay characters and Father Neil's starting point in his ordained duties at St. Jude's. I have been reading the books a bit out of order, and it didn't really hurt the enjoyment of the books that followed. In fact, Boyd's narrative skills grow in time. This book is humorous and describes events to be later referenced in the sequels, but it doesn't have quite the fulsomeness and exuberance of the later novels. But, hey, you have to sta ...more
Sjervey
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Newly ordained Catholic priest, Neil Boyd, an Englishman, finds himself assigned to a parish in a London suburb under the tutelage of an Irish Monsignor in the early 1950's. Those of us who remember the Latin Mass and the pre-Vatican II church will enjoy some of the old references. Others may have to be content with the delightful depiction of life in a rectory, life in a small parish. The problems are all too human, the resolutions often hilarious.
patricia
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Father Neil Boyd has just been ordained and is assigned as a curate for St. Jude's Parish. St Jude's is a parish full of characters and Irish immigrants. The pastor himself, Father Duddleswell is among those characters. But he knows how to deal with his fellow Irishmen et al. Neil Boyd will have you laughing as you get a glimpse of the church pre Vatican II. Bless Me Father will tickle your funny bone and make you realize how far we've come.
Ryan Barretto
Nov 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very entertaining read. I love how the author creates the scene and then makes you smile with the antics he puts his characters into.
The parish priest is the standout character throughout, but the other characters are no less enticing.
Carole
Oct 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was marginally entertaining for me. A young priest at his first posting under the tutelage of an age I would aging priest. Not sure what was missing for me. Maybe simply an epectation of hilarity.
Ro
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jolly journey with two catholic priests. Amusing, but interesting that the author, himself a priest, left the ministry eventually.
Ruth
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes a little hard to understand due to British phrases....
Sometimes hilarious!
Rizzo Boone
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining

I enjoyed this book great for light quick read. I actually laughed out loud and it takes something really funny to get that from me.
John
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember really enjoying the British series based on these stories. Came across this and thought it would be fun. It was. Story of a young curate and the crusty but living old pastor in the 50s.
Diane
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-release of a book that inspired a hit BBC comedy in Great Britain. I adore that part of the world and have been known to enjoy various BBC sitcoms. So, reading this book, I expected hilarity to ensue with dry, British humor, and I was not disappointed. I laughed out loud and I don’t think I stopped smiling from the first page!

The book played out like a television series, so it is not surprising that it later was made into one. Each chapter was very episodic, introducing a new confli
James Frederick
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a thoroughly delightful book and one of the funniest books I have ever read. It is full of British humour, which I find myself partial to. The amusement is not diminished in the least by the fact that the setting is in the 1950s. I understand there are several sequels and I will be anxiously adding those to my reading list.
Kathy
This is the story of a young curate in his first posting. Father Neil is in his first assignment as a new priest, serving with the church pastor, and old and cantankerous but lovable Father Duddleswell. The book highlights those events/episodes the young Father Neil encounters during his early years as a priest. I realize, based on the book blurb, that this was a popular book and became the basis for a popular sitcom series in Britain, but I am not sure how this will be received in the US. The c ...more
Nicole Overmoyer
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved British comedy television shows dating earlier than 2000 and there is apparently a show based on Neil Boyd's Bless Me, Father but I haven't seen it. I want to, having read the book.

The story of Father Neil Boyd, the author's name is a pen name, who is recently graduated from the seminary and assigned to Father Duddleswell's parish. Father Neil becomes the sort of watcher of events. He isn't the most interesting character in the book - Father Duddleswell is, especially when he
Aunt Edie
Jan 16, 2017 added it
Shelves: reviewed
I thought Neil Boyd's humorous stories about a young curate and his priestly mentor were just what I needed to counter some of the deeper, darker stuff I've been reading. But I didn't find it as entertaining or funny as many others have. While I'm very "eh" about this one, please keep in mind that the Father Boyd series has been keeping people in stitches for decades and was made into a BBC sitcom. There is a very good chance that I'm the anomaly and this is exactly what the doctor ordered if yo ...more
Sue
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2000, humour, fiction
One of a series of books about Catholic priests.

Father Neil goes for his first curacy to Father Duddleswell, a bad-tempered but kind elderly priest. Humorous situations arise as Father Neil learns about his job and the people in the parish. Gentle fun poked at the traditions of the Catholic Church, and some of the people in it.
Gena DeBardelaben
eARC: Netgalley

Sometimes you stumble upon a book that truly delights you. This is one of those rare treasures.

Bless Me, Father is rich with that wonderful British humor that I adore. This is a "keeper" that I know I'll return to over the years!
Kim
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the TV series, so I read the book. The book gives a warmer treatment of Father Duddlesworth and the housekeeper-but it also provides a clearer sense that Neil was going to leave the priesthood and the various reasons why (the 1960's and his attraction to having a family of his own).
Carol Savedra
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good, clean fun. I wish my mom was still alive; she would have thoroughly enjoyed the stories you don't have to be Catholic to appreciate, although it doesn't hurt.
Emily
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I review this book in my blog: http://surfeitofbooks.blogspot.com/20...
R
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
love those pre-Vatican 2 stories!
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I read this after watching the BBC TV series. I enjoyed both the TV series and this book, but I never read any of the sequels.
Vince
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Fun

Interesting book about a young Catholic priest in England. Fun ensues between the older pastor and the housekeeper. A cozy read.
Tara Calaby
I don't remember a lot about this one, beyond the fact that I definitely read it as a teenager.
Linda Badcock
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember reading Neil Boyd's stories in the Readers'Digest many years ago, and then seeing the British TV series. Reading the book is like visiting an old friend.

• Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)
  • Don Camillo And The Devil
  • Weekend Wodehouse
  • Unidentified Funny Objects 2 (UFO #2)
  • The Habit
  • Laughter on the Stairs
  • Fillets of Plaice
  • The Sinner's Guide to Natural Family Planning
  • The Jeweler's Shop: A Meditation on the Sacrament of Matrimony Passing on Occasion Into a Drama
  • Burley Cross Postbox Theft
  • Made for Heaven: And Why on Earth It Matters
  • The Monk and the Hangman's Daughter
  • The Secret Staircase
  • The Sign of Jonas
  • Charity in Truth: Caritas in Veritate
  • The Unpleasantness at Baskerville Hall (Reeves & Worcester Steampunk Mysteries Book, #4)
  • The Complete Yes Prime Minister
  • A Few Green Leaves

pseudonym of Peter de Rosa

Bless Me, Father (5 books)
  • A Father Before Christmas
  • Father In A Fix
  • Father Under Fire
  • Bless Me Again, Father
“Tis not the nodding of the head that rows the boat.’ As” 0 likes
“It’s the art of letting people deceive themselves without actually telling them lies.” 0 likes