Start by marking “The Boiling River: Adventure and Discovery in the Amazon” as Want to Read:
The Boiling River: Adventure and Discovery in the Amazon

The Boiling River: Adventure and Discovery in the Amazon

(TED Books #11)

In this exciting adventure mixed with amazing scientific study, a young, exuberant explorer and geoscientist journeys deep into the Amazon—where rivers boil and legends come to life.

When Andrés Ruzo was just a small boy in Peru, his grandfather told him the story of a mysterious legend: There is a river, deep in the Amazon, which boils as if a fire burns below it. Twelve y
Published February 16th 2016 by Simon Schuster/ TED (first published November 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Boiling River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boiling River

Amiad
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
אנדרס רוסו, סטודנט לגאולוגיה, שומע סיפורים על נהר רותח בג׳ונגל של האמזונס ויוצא לחפש ולחקור אותו.

הספר ארוך יותר מהספרים הרגילים של טד ולכן הסיפור בו מורחב כרואי.
אהבתי את השילוב בין הטבע למדע ובין המודרניות למסורת. רוסו הוא מדען שמבין את גבולות המדע ומנסה לשלב בין המדע והמודרניות לטבע ולמסורת. יש בספר גם עצב על יער הגשם ההולך ונעלם.

אפשר גם לראות את ההרצאה של רוסו בטד, אנדרס רוזו: איך מצאתי נהר אגדי רותח באמזונס
Angie
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great story about a scientist doing amazing science, perfect for those who like to explore the wonder of nature. It's a trim volume, not too much drama from the author's life, just the story of this project. And it's a beautiful story. It turns out that there's a fantastic geothermal feature in the jungle in eastern Peru, up until now largely unknown to the outside world. Ruzo reveals its beauty to us, as if opening a flower petal by petal and then insisting on our agreement as respons ...more
Audacia Ray
The Boiling River is everything I want from a book about outdoors adventure/scientific discover/conservation. The author is pursuing a PhD in geology when he recalls a story told by his Peruvian family about a city of gold and a boiling river in the Amazon. His aunt says she's been to the boiling river, and he sets out to find it and study it. Along the way, there are musings about colonialism, accountability to and respect for indigenous people, and heavy stuff about what scientific "discoverie ...more
JZ
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it very much, but I had to wonder how naive he is. I hope they succeed, but I have very little expectation that it can. His work might actually have sped the rape of the Amazon. Hard to say.

Pop Bop
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A Geothermal Detective Story

The blurbs for this book strike me as a bit misleading. They can make this sound like an odd fusion of "Heart of Darkness" meets bureaucratic wrangling, with a touch of legend and magical realism. Not so. This is a ripping detective story.

Andres Ruzo starts with a brief, beautifully evocative description of the "Boiling River". This is followed by a nicely framed and romantic memory piece about the author in his youth hearing tales of the "Boiling River" from his play
Rachel
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
In a world where everything seems charted, measured, mapped, and overridden by tourism and the touch of modern civilization, prepare to be amazed by the recent expeditions of Andres Ruzo, a Peruvian geoscientist, who details his excursions in this TED book. Triggered by nothing more than a story his grandfather told him when he was a little boy, Ruzo voyages into the Amazon jungle to find a "boiling river" that he thought, at best, an embellishment, a legend, or some combination of the two. I sh ...more
Amanda Brenner
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable adventure through the Amazonian jungle where science and mystery collide. It's an eye opener as to how much we still don't know or understand. As Ruzo ventures from an ancient tale to his conclusion it's as though his modern paths to the truth are as difficult to navigate as the jungle itself.

The wonder and beauty is described with so much love and attention that one can't help but feel the warmth of the steam, hear the rushing of the river and smell the damp musty detritus underfo
Batgirl13
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: geology
This was a fascinating little book about a boiling river deep in the Amazon and it's story. It had elements of geologic research, anthropological insights, economic concerns and more all packed into a very concise and easy to read package. I am hungry to know more! The writing is well done and I will definitely look for more books in this series. I considered this a great introduction to a topic I didn't know anything about yet. I highly recommend!
Jeff Raymond
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books remains The Lost City of Z, which is a story at its core about exploration and discovery of things with myths surrounding it. So too is The Boiling River, a story that seems completely impossible but drives the author to find the truth and results in a pretty cool tale of research and exploration to try and separate the truth from the stories. A really enjoyed this, and it has its share of surprises throughout.
David
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting short book about a geologist's search for a thermal river in Peru. If you've got a handful of hours and any interest in the Amazon, conservancy, or large volumes of really hot water, give it a read or a listen!
Ann
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I rated this as an "it was okay" book because there was just not that much to get excited about. In contrast to many other reviewers, I didn't experience the story as being about amazing discoveries and exciting science. It comes down to this : Andres' grandfather mentions a "boiling river" in the middle of story about the lost city of gold of the Incas. Andres, busy with his PhD in geology, does some desultory searching (meaning : he consults Google), but gives up when other geologists tell him ...more
Iryna Khomchuk
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Час від часу я натрапляла на TEDівські виступи, зазвичай із цікавістю їх слухала-дивилася, до чогось лишалася байдужою, у чомусь хотіла розібратися докладніше. Однак мушу зізнатися, що не звертала уваги на те, наскільки потужний і важливий цей рух. Черговою можливістю ознайомитсия з міркуваннями молодих (зазвичай) і прогресивних стала серія книг TED, яку перекладає і видає "Віват".

Першою книгою серії для мене стала "Кипуча річка" Андреса Русо. Звісно, вона — про багато важливих речей: досліджен
Coenraad
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite being non-fiction, this book was just up my alley. It deals with the trials and tribulations of research, of the reality of certain myths, of the conflict between modern science and traditional knowledge, of the Amazon, that mysterious lung of the earth’s atmosphere (I remember writing a school task about it about forty years ago!), of success and fear for the future (yet with hope an important element in the mix). Ruzo tells the story comfortably and with the correct narrative pace to k ...more
Tran Belikov
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Đọc cuốn này lâu rồi nhưng tình cờ đọc một bài báo về con sông sôi này trên mạng nên lại mò vào đây. Nhà địa chất trẻ Andrés Ruzo đã lao vào một chuyến đi dọc thượng nguồn sông Amazon ngay sau khi vừa tốt nghiệp. Để làm gì? Chỉ để tìm kiếm một con sông sôi giữa rừng Amazon mà anh từng được nghe trong câu chuyện ông mình kể. Các nhà khoa học cười nhạo, đó là vùng đất đã được lục tung hết rồi, chẳng còn gì để khám phá, nhưng anh bất chấp.

Như một kịch bản điện ảnh phi thường, vượt qua những vạt rừ
Kate
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this investigation of a previously unrecorded "boiling river" in Peru. Andres Ruzo is an engaging narrator, and his story of actually finding what was considered to be a mythical place in the Amazonian rainforest was enthralling.

I wish there had been a bit more of the actual hydrology/hydrogeology which causes the river to be so hot for such a long distance (in places it's 99.7*C). What is the origin of the water, where is it heated? (its not related to volcanism being 700+km
KayG
A young geologist followed a legend of a boiling river into the jungles of Peru. There he communicated with the locals, negotiated the difficult terrain, and yes, he found a river that boils. His efforts to study the river while also managing to respect the native inhabitants, with consideration of the ecology of the situation, was very interesting. I enjoyed this brief audiobook from Hoopla, and appreciated learning something new.

Peru.
Jenny GB
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Ruzo weaves cultural and global knowledge through the story of his research on a boiling river in the Amazon. His plea to protect this beautiful place is potent, but unfortunately, it suffers a bit from repetition throughout the book. I think this is a talk that was probably better as the TED talk and not made into a book. I felt like the author was adding additional information just to lengthen the story. Still, I was fascinated by Ruzo's research and he has a clear passion for science.
Hieu Nguyen
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story shows us a hidden world that we have never been explored or even believed that world exists. The author was a PhD student at the time of investigating of the Boiling River but still got a warning from his professors of being unrealistic.
I'm being impressed by a simple sentence from the priest to the author that "You have your science, I have mine." to explain his ability.
Gail
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fast audiobook! This was truly wonderful. A scientific and environmentalist’s adventure story with history, geography, and anthropology mixed in- or, with legends, fantasy worlds, and shamanic, Amazonian Druids mixed in. You choose, haha. I recommend it to brighten up an otherwise dull walk through the neighborhood or knitting session on the couch.
Holly Doyal
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A very interesting story about the Amazon and how much we still don't understand about how and why things work the way they do. It is a story about a boiling river deep in the Amazon and the main character decided to go there after remembering a story his grandfather told him as a young child. Very fascinating topic.
Gilbert Stack
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
At its heart, this is a story about a scientist’s efforts to discover if a legend his father told him as a young boy about a boiling river in the Amazon could possibly be true. It’s also a tale of the mysteries still waiting to be discovered in our world, the beauty of the Amazon rain forest, and the great peril that that that forest faces. This is a very quick read and well worth your time.
Christy Keeler
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ruzo tells the true story of finding the mythical Amazonian boiling river. He couches the story in myth, history, culture, geography, and geology arguing the importance of saving natural resources. His excitement about the topic is contagious.
Kimberly Staples
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Good story teller about mysteries of the Amazon. As long as it focuses on the exploration and science, it held my attention. Ended up losing me when it steered more into “communicating” with the jungle type things. I did not finish.
Chu Văn
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Càng đọc càng tò mò. Thế giới thật kì diệu..
Emily
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A short but lovely book. The story was beautifully told, combining science and folklore and some of the social issues surrounding development.
Stephanie Wasek
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science
Absolutely loved this quick little read. A well-structured tale that makes you part of the adventure, and the payoff is entirely worth it. The Boiling River is an inspiration.
Martijn Reintjes
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Great, inspiring story of a guy who tried to discover the truth behind an old story his grandfather told him.
Donald Shepherd
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Too much like the stereotypical TED talk as it leaves out a lot of the context that improves this kind of non-fiction book.
Bharath ayyappa
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice book written from a non western perspective. . It's important book to read about role of local population in conservation. . Only critism. the book lacks flow. .
Lorraine
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Review to come
  • That Takes Ovaries!  Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts
  • Broadsides from the Other Orders: A Book of Bugs
  • The Quantum Labyrinth: How Richard Feynman and John Wheeler Revolutionized Time and Reality
  • Explorers' Sketchbooks: The Art of Discovery & Adventure
  • Novel Destinations: A Travel Guide to Literary Landmarks from Jane Austen's Bath to Ernest Hemingway's Key West
  • Journey of the Pink Dolphins: An Amazon Quest
  • A Passion for Paris: Romanticism and Romance in the City of Light
  • Elephant Complex: Travels in Sri Lanka
  • Empire of the Stars: Obsession, Friendship and Betrayal in the Quest for Black Holes
  • The Marches: A Borderland Journey Between England and Scotland
  • A Natural History of Human Thinking
  • The Only Way to Cross: The Golden Era of the Great Atlantic Liners - From the Mauretania to the France and the Queen Elizabeth 2
  • Among the Islands: Adventures in the Pacific
  • The Condor Passes
  • The Matter Of Wales: Epic Views Of A Small Country
  • Brian Greene: The Kindle Singles Interview
  • The Atomic Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
  • Horatio's Drive: America's First Road Trip

TED Books (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Terrorist's Son: A Story of Choice
  • The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere
  • The Mathematics of Love: Patterns, Proofs, and the Search for the Ultimate Equation
  • The Future of Architecture in 100 Buildings
  • Follow Your Gut: How the Ecosystem in Your Gut Determines Your Health, Mood, and More
  • Beyond Measure: The Big Impact of Small Changes
  • Judge This
  • How We'll Live on Mars
  • Why We Work
  • The Laws of Medicine: Field Notes from an Uncertain Science
“Sometimes I'll pick up the "heart of the jungle" fossil on my bookshelf, or pull out my old field notebooks from my desk drawer, warped by Amazonian rains and the river's steam, the scent of the jungle still on their pages. I do this to remind myself that fiction does not have a monopoly on the unbelievable.” 0 likes