Start by marking “Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)” as Want to Read:
Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)

Hoarfrost

(Whyborne & Griffin #6)

Sorcerer Percival Endicott Whyborne and his husband Griffin Flaherty have enjoyed an unprecedented stretch of peace and quiet. Unfortunately, the calm is shattered by the arrival of a package from Griffin’s brother Jack, who has uncovered a strange artifact while digging for gold in Alaska. The discovery of a previously unknown civilization could revive the career of their ...more
Published April 21st 2015 by Widdershins Press LLC (first published April 20th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Hoarfrost, please sign up.
Rikanin When indeed.

When indeed.

I hate that books are released on Tuesdays. HATE IT. Don't release it on the weekend when we (who are chomping at the bit to read it) can enjoy it properly. No no...release it on a Tuesday so we'll be up all night on Tuesday reading and dragging ass on Wednesday. ..!.. to whomever decided that Tuesday was a good day to release books. It's Sunday...I'm bored and more than a little annoyed I have to wait 2 more days to read a book that is CLEARLY finished by now. If I could re-read the whole series in a day...that would be plan 'A' but since I can't...plan 'A' is pissing and moaning about it to the only other people who like these books as much as I do.(less)

Start your review of Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
Shile
2.5 It's me not the book stars

Whyborne and Griffin are one of my favorite couples. I enjoyed book 1 to 5 but this one just feel short.

I was excited going into this and getting Griffin's POV, then i was hit with a big disappointment. I had a hard time connecting with his POV because he did not have a distinct voice. At some point i had to go back and check who was who in between the chapters, that took away my enjoyment.

I also felt like this was a repetition of the previous books when it ca
K.J. Charles
Well, I wondered how JLH was going to take this story forward from what seemed a conclusion, and now I know. Griffin POV and a whole new exciting range of powers and risks opening up. I love these characters and I think Jordan is one of the best series writers out there.
Ingie
Written April 26, 2015

4 1/2 Stars - Romantic, exciting, tenderly sentimental and well told. I got everything I wanted.

Book #6

photo image.jpg2_zps0azoxreu.jpg
It is an tradition by now to read every new book in this fantastic M/M series with my friends. ~ I maybe was the last one to finish once again... but I enjoyed it all A LOT. Big applauses and sincerely tributes to yet another really good, entertaining and well-written addition to this series. ~ Highly recommended!

*******************************************************
Ms. Smartarse
Following the mind-blowing revelations of the previous book, I didn't have high hopes for Hoarfrost. Everybody had ended up getting their just desert, and then some, so... how could any act hope to follow up?

While in some cases (e.g: So This is Christmas) I was genuinely interested in a behind/between-the-scenes type story, the Whyborne and Griffin series has plenty of those within the regular books. So the fact the book ended up surprising me way more than the rest, was an unexpected treat.

Not bad

Book
Richard Derus
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindled, quiltbag
Ooglee googlee. What a ride! More anon of anon.

Anon of anon:
Real Rating: 4.5* of five

And here is where everything changes.

The first words of this book, Griffin's words which marks the first big change, are:
Pa was dead.

POW just like that you, the series' reader on through this sixth entry, are busted in the chops. The long history of Griffin and his adoptive father is now over. The possibility of a reconciliation is gone forever. Now Griffin has to find a way to forgive. Forgiveness is vital to a
Meags
5 Stars

Hoarfrost is the sixth stunning addition in the always entertaining Whyborne & Griffin series by Jordan L. Hawk.

In this installment, Whyborne and Griffin, along with their dear friends Christine (legend!) and Iskander, head off on a perilous journey to Alaska, where they've received word from Griffin's long lost brother about some ancient (and most likely evil) civilization that is about to be unearthed. As always it's up to Whyborne and co. to thwart the bad guys' plans and save the day
Moony Eliver
There’s really no excuse for me, because this is the first time in this series that I’m attempting to write an actual review, and it’s for the first volume that I didn’t like. So let me start with that up front — I’ve rated all of the other W&G books 4 stars. I’ve enjoyed them immensely, and I’m still a fan of the series. All my appendages are crossed that this one was an anomaly and that #7 will set it straight. Ahem. So to speak.

I could list the things that didn’t work, but a lot of them would
Barbara➰
**4.5 Stars**

OMG just when I think I’ve got everything figured out, the author comes and throws things for a loop. I don’t know how she does it...how she comes up with new and different adventures for these characters but she does.

I’m not going to lie. Going into this one I wasn’t expecting to like it. Cold, bitter, untamed wilderness of Alaska is not my ideal setting for a book. And really it started out just kind of so-so for me. But holy shit! It turned around and I’m reading as fast as I ca
☙ nemo ❧ (pagesandprozac)

interesting fact about me: i hardly ever cry from sadness, if ever, but i cry with happiness/sentiment really, really easily. and this made me cry.

i keep lowkey expecting each successive book to have a dip in quality like what happens with the vast majority of series that have over four books, but nope they just keep getting better and better. one thing i love about this series is that even as characters become more and more powerful, they still have flaws and are realistic characters, unlike in
Nick Pageant
BR with Mishy and Adam.
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Full Reviewage on Prism Book Alliance®

Holy emotional intensity, Batman! From the get-go, it’s right there, and from Griffin’s point of view.

Instead of rejecting me for weakness, Ival embraced me, did everything he could to lead me back through the thickets of my own mind to reality.

So there’s that.

Then, not much later, we get what has become the trademark humor this group can’t seem but to put forth. Ha! Christine. You are, as always, fantastic.

Here’s a funny: despite archeology having been a pa
Mir
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
As we all know, if you tell people something is horrifically dangerous and should be left undisturbed, they will immediately go prod it.
Sofia
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

There I was, enjoying reading this but saying to myself that this was probably not going to be one of the best in the series but then the last quarter came and I was flattened. I ended up with puffy eyes which is totally unusual for me. The hurt, the pain, the despair, the love shone out and touched me. (view spoiler) A
Lois Bujold
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who liked the prior books in the series

As it says on the tin, #6 in the Continuing Adventures. New readers should not start here, but with the first book, Widdershins. Which, I was pleased to find last weekend, stands up to rereading.

Nicely inventive setting and plot, within the boundaries of "Two gay dudes (plus friends); together, they fight (but sometimes turn into) Lovecraftian Horrors!" Whyborne, the magical one of the pair, was getting rather ahead on his book-by-book growth of power, so in this episode Griffin not only gets mo
Mel
Feb 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-sff
Whyborne & Griffin Forever

That's how I will remember this series.

Christine Rocks My World

That's how I will remember my favourite woman and secondary character.

I love those characters and I love their love for each other.

I'm saying goodbye now. Goodbye, I love you, it was great knowing you.

But we must part ways here, because your maker and I are not compatible anymore. I'm sorry.

The thing with series is that it's awesome when you discover and love a new one, but you must find the right time to ju
Trio
Honestly I'd put this series down for a couple years (wow, actually four years) so it was nice to re-visit these characters. Jordan Hawk writes a creative mystery, and I love the historical ambiance.

I don't even have to mention how great a job Julian G. Simmons does with this series, it was nice to hear him perform an audiobook again.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
The fact that I didn't need to read it all at once (unlike the rest) should have told me that it wouldn't be quite the same as the other books.

The main reason why I love this series is that it draws almost all its ideas from Lovecraft (the dweller in the deep, the cosmic horror, the Pnakotic Manuscripts to name only a few) and it combines it with romance packed in a historical setting. Also, both main characters are what you may find in Lovecraft's stories: one a scholar and the other a private
Adam
BR with Nick and Mishyjo!

While I enjoyed Hoarfrost, I think this book was probably my least favourite of the series so far. All previous books have been a solid 4 stars for me, but Hoarfrost just fell short in a few ways.

Though I liked the idea of reading from Griffin's POV, I don't think it was executed as well as it could have been. The POVs were just too similar, so I felt like I was still reading the book from Whyborne's perspective. Had Jordan L. Hawk differentiated the "voices" of Whyborne
Cristina
After the incredible emotional ride and shattering revelations of Bloodline, I approached Hoarfrost expecting a more subdued story still presenting, however, all the elements that make me love this series so much and with the added bonus of an exciting Alaskan setting (I have a soft spot for stories set in the northern regions).

When I reached about half of the novel, however, things started yet again to become more and more complicated and emotionally demanding for all the characters in the
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
Nov 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Starr (AKA Bam Bam) by: Claudie ☾
Not one of my faves. Felt uncomfortable just reading about the freezing environs of Alaska... I suppose it means the author is good at making these descriptions vivid.

5 stars for the descriptions and imagination.

4 stars for my experience of them.
Elena

Change of setting for this sixth book in the series.
Whyborne and Griffin go to Alaska with Christine and Iskander, after receiving a letter from Griffin's brother, Jack, to reinforce certain magic seals meant to keep dangerous beings trapped.

This book is more focused on Griffin than any of the others before and it shows also in the use of the alternating POVs.
Until now the story was narrated by Whyborne, short stories excluded, and I had some trouble getting used to the change at fir
Kaje Harper
This is another good installment in the series, which should definitely be read in order. (That's not a hardship, BTW.)

I loved having Griffin's POV in this book, as well as Whyborne's. The balance was good, giving me a warm, lovely feel for how each man sees the relationship as central to their life. Christine is again an admirable secondary character and foil for Whyborne.

In this book, the guys meet up with Jack, Griffin's long lost brother, in a mining town in the arctic. Somewhere, under the
Ami
Confession: I was weary approaching this installment (and not as excited) because I really didn't think it was needed. I thought Bloodline had a good closure and I was worried that this would be another series that continued without direction.

Well, this taught me not to doubt Jordan L. Hawk. She definitely has a arc plan for this series. Hoarfrost smartly connecting some clues we've already given from previous books, i.e. Griffin's biological brother, Griffin's horrific experience when he lost h
Eugenia
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars! This series is incredibly imaginative! I just adore these two and Christine. At some point I think I need to count how many times someone has tried to kill our lovely Dr. Whyborne throughout the entire series!
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥
HONESTLY, I DON'T SEE HOW SHE IS GOING TO TOP BLOODLINE, BUT THIS CONTINUES TO BE ONE OF MY FAVORITE SERIES EVER!

Seriously JLH! My feelings was screaming at me in this edition. Griffin, baby I love you. He was hurting this entire book, and I wanted him to be just fine dandy, but his HUSBAND Whyborne never let him down! I can't even discuss the plot without giving it away. Let's just say Griffin was right all along stemming from Chicago! I loved seeing Heliabel and Persephone again.
Bev
I can't put my finger on it, but this one just didn't 'do it' for me as much as 'Bloodline' did. 4.5 stars from me. Of course, I enjoyed it...especially as most of this story was from Griffin's POV, and I have to say it was very heartfelt and touching. It showed his great fear for Ival's safety, his overwhelming love for his husband and his frustration at his inadequacy to help Ival further, his grief at the death of his foster father...whose funeral he was not allowed to attend, and his unce ...more
Susan
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

LOVE. THIS. SERIES.

That being said...this particular book was not my favorite. Enjoyable...but slightly confusing...?

I love Whyborne & Griffin as characters and getting Griffin's POV in this book was AWESOME. But, since it alternated, in 1st person, with Whyborne's, I sometimes got mixed up as to who's mind I was in. On more than one occasion I had to go back and remind myself what name was on the chapter heading. Which made me kinda notice that the two of them were starting to sound a
Chelsea
Gah, this series is just AMAZING! I can always trust these books to keep me completely glued from start to finish.

My heart is still racing trying to come down from that adrenaline rush. This instalment had all the things I love and Griffin and Whyborne:

Romance- like heart melting, gut wrenching, beautiful moments of real love.

I love you, Ival. More than anything in this world. More than everything else in the world put together.

Humour - I just adore Whyborne complete obliviousness to Miss Parkh
* A Reader Obsessed *
4 Stars

I love how this series continues to evolve from its humble beginnings into so much more than I ever imagined, focusing more on the lore behind Widdershins, but never losing sight of Whyborne and Griffin’s relationship and their own personal growth.

The last book definitely hinted at some things to come, and this expanded on it, continuing to set the stage for some new end game in the works and a new exciting dynamic for these two favorite guys.

There’s no point in doing a long drawn out re
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~

Reread 6/28/19:

Just reread my original review, the spoiler rant in particular = LOL, I was so annoyed and most of those things don't bother me anymore. *shrugs* The logic about some things still doesn't make sense, but eh. I can live with it. And I'm especially pleased that (view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
BR #6 Hoarfrost April 21 - Bev, Sofia, Ingela, Irina and Mel 101 24 Apr 26, 2015 01:42PM

• Remnant: A Caldwell & Feximal/Whyborne & Griffin Mystery (The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal, #3; Whyborne & Griffin, #3.5)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • Starcrossed (Magic in Manhattan, #2)
  • Spectred Isle (Green Men, #1)
  • The Sugared Game (The Will Darling Adventures #2)
  • Flight of Magpies (A Charm of Magpies, #3)
  • Feast of Stephen (A Charm of Magpies, #3.5)
  • Jackdaw (The World of A Charm of Magpies)
  • Five For Heaven (A Charm of Magpies, #3.6)
  • Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)
  • Spellbound (Magic in Manhattan, #1)
  • Interlude with Tattoos (A Charm of Magpies, #1.5)
  • The Smuggler and the Warlord (A Charm of Magpies, #0.5)
  • The Ruin of Gabriel Ashleigh (Society of Gentlemen, #0.5)
  • A Case of Spirits (A Charm of Magpies, #2.5)
  • A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2)
  • An Unsuitable Heir (Sins of the Cities, #3)
  • Slippery Creatures (The Will Darling Adventures #1)
Jordan L. Hawk is a trans author from North Carolina. Childhood tales of mountain ghosts and mysterious creatures gave him a life-long love of things that go bump in the night. When he isn’t writing, he brews his own beer and tries to keep the cats from destroying the house. His best-selling Whyborne & Griffin series (beginning with Widdershins) can be found in print, ebook, and audiobook.

Whyborne & Griffin (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Threshold (Whyborne & Griffin, #2)
  • Stormhaven (Whyborne & Griffin, #3)
  • Necropolis (Whyborne & Griffin, #4)
  • Bloodline (Whyborne & Griffin, #5)
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Fallow (Whyborne & Griffin, #8)
  • Draakenwood  (Whyborne & Griffin, #9)
  • Balefire (Whyborne & Griffin, #10)
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)