Start by marking “Lord Fenton's Folly” as Want to Read:
Lord Fenton's Folly

Lord Fenton's Folly

(A Proper Romance #2)

Lord Fenton is a gambler, a dandy, and a flirt—and he must marry or else he will be disinherited, stripped of his wealth and his position. He chooses Alice Stanbridge for two simple reasons: he once knew her as a young girl, and she is the least objectionable option available to him.

However, Alice has harbored feelings for Fenton since their first meeting ten years ago, a
Published October 6th 2015 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Lord Fenton's Folly, please sign up.
Whitnee Lewis I just read it as a stand alone. I didn't see anything about a first book. …moreI just read it as a stand alone. I didn't see anything about a first book. (less)

Start your review of Lord Fenton's Folly
Kathy
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Should have been packing for my trip, cleaning my house and getting some sleep but none of those things happened. Instead I stayed up until 1:30 reading this book. That meant packing was rushed, things were forgotten, my house was left messy and I drove with little sleep but sometimes sacrifices are necessary when reading a book that just can't be put down until you get to the last page. This was that kind of book for me.

I loved Lord Fenton's Folly as did my 15 year old daughter. We both enjoy
Anne Osterlund
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alice met Lord Charles Fenton when she was ten. He was about 14 years old and running mad dash away from a grass fire he had set on purpose, as a science experiment.

Fortunately it rained. And fortunately for Lord Fenton, Alice agreed to hush it up, for a price. In recompense, he talked the Powers That Be into giving her a garden where she could dig.

Years later, and Charles is still in trouble. Determined not to emulate his controlling and philandering father, young Lord Fenton is a dandy, making
Kathy
I love Shadow Mountain's Proper Romance line. Seriously love them. Okay, I just had to get that out of the way.

I enjoyed this regency from Ms. Kilpack. I know she typically writes contemporary mystery and have been curious to see what her historicals would be like. I thought she wrote the regency setting well, I was sucked into the story and had to keep reading to see how it would all play out. I enjoyed the plot for this one, a bit different than your usual Regency. Alice fell for Lord Fenton
Preeti ♥︎ Her Bookshelves
Oh, this one sneaks up on you.
I was quite dismissive of the book (and the H) for more than half of the book but then it takes on a wisdom, a level of sensibility that tugs at the heart.
And the author writes beautifully.

The mcs are a bit off (deliberately so) to begin with and it is up to the reader to decode them and then decide on accepting them and their interactions.
Especially the H.
I have read a few fops and dandies and fastidious dressers but this H is the real thing, consciously so. And
Jacob Proffitt
This is second in a series and Lord Fenton is present in the first as the hero's best friend. You don't have to read these in order, though, and not least because Fenton's character changes a bit between books. I mean, this Fenton isn't the kind of guy Thomas could be such good friends with, I don't think. Fortunately, Thomas isn't present in this one (besides an inconsequential letter or something), so you don't have to deal with any retroactive changes in him to fit this story.

This one is kind
Angie
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

Clean historical romance.

Eccentric Alice and dandy extreme Lord Fenton reunite through a chance meeting some 10 years after they were acquainted as children. His sweet mother helps move the relationship along, but it seems all parties are not equally informed. Tensions and hurt feelings occur but Alice & Charles hang in there. They spend lots of their time together fussing and misunderstanding, unfortunately. There are several unresolved secrets in Lord Fenton's family's past which eve
Katie W
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This story fit my mood exactly. I love a good, proper romance, especially one filled with anticipation and little subtle hints of romance--those moments kept me reading and left me wanting more.

Lord Fenton (Charles) and Alice had met when they were a lot younger and the encounter always left Alice a bit in awe of Fenton. He's an eligible man, but he's a silly dandy and when he's forced to settle down and make a match, Alice is the one he chooses--and not for the reasons that she hopes for.

Alice
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
For a book with a dandy for the hero, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it! The backstory to Alice and Lord Fenton's connection is seriously sweet, but their reunion leaves much to be desired... Their struggles with each other, family, and society are so real and because we learn the motivations behind their choices, it's easier to understand their characters. The way Alice and Fenton finally bond and let go of antagonizing each other is worth the wait. Their romance is then allowed to flour ...more
Heidi
I LOVE a good regency and Lord Fenton's Folly was just what I had been looking for. I've really enjoyed Ms. Kilpack taking on this genre and I hope she continues.
We are first introduced to Lord Fenton in the first book by the author, A Heart Revealed, but the story definitely stands on its own and doesn't necessarily need to be read in order.
A dandy to the extreme, our Hero starts out completely ridiculous, and at times for me, utterly unlikable...but as you come to find out the reasons behind w
Carla *Jen7waters*
Lord Fenton's Folly tells the story of Alice, an unmarried young woman from a poor noble family who never felt needed or wanted, and of Charles, Lord Fenton himself, a young man, also single, who will one day inherit a title plus a rich and vast patrimony. They met when Alice was only 10 and Fenton 16, and he helped her get a garden just for herself, since then Fenton has been Alice's knight in shining armor, her love, the man she wishes she could marry, but of course she has no hope that could ...more
QNPoohBear
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5-2.75 stars

Lord Fenton has a perfectly maintained reputation as a London dandy. Though his style is close to being foppish, he's still considered god ton everywhere. Only his mother knows that his foppish demeanor is a careful facade designed to annoy his cold father and hide his true sensitive soul. When Lord Chariton threatens to disinherit his only son in favor of a cousin, Lord Fenton agrees to do anything to save his inheritance. He must agree to agree to a certain set of conditions, inc
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
This book really brought together so many of the things I love about reading.

I love regency romances done well, and this one is done well. The setting, the attitudes of the time, the clothing- everything was done so well and tastefully.

The characters were so clear and had a depth that made them human and real to me. I loved the progression of the book- the characters learn and show growth- especially Lord Fenton. Even though I was frustrated with Lord Fenton, I couldn't help but love him and wa
Donna
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vintage-romance
I really, really wanted to love this, but sadly it fell short. That said, I still enjoyed it. I wish that it would have had more intrigue/conflict... Something. It felt like it was building to something then just leveled out. I wanted to like the hero more and see him become less selfish and immature in a grander way. It seems a shame that he did so well creating this false persona and never got to use it to truly bennifit anyone. Just a bit disappointed.
Tandie
Hmmm...it was just okay. Lord Fenton has issues. A LOT of issues. I just wasn't feeling it for him. I get that he hates his father, but really, his life wasn't all that bad.

3 whiny poor me stars
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Kelly
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Skinny: You have to read this book. Ugh, I felt so many emotions and I ugly cried at the end of the book and there are twists and turns so don’t think you will figure it out because you won’t see it coming! It is also a tender romance that builds over time. I didn’t think they would ever find love together!

The Fat: We start off with a scene with Alice and Lord Fenton as children. I thought Lord Fenton was such a great kid with a little mischief in him and great kindness. Then we go to their
Jess (BookObsessedJess)
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
4.5 GLORIOUS STARS

Firstly, before I get into my review. Can we just take a moment to discuss this God-awful cover? It does not even MATCH the other 2! AND YOU ARE SHOWING THEIR FACES?!

Let's not.

Now.

As for the ACUTAL book. Lord Fenton's Folly goes back and forth between the perspective of Lord Fenton and Alice Stanbridge.

Fenton is a gambler, drunk, dandy, and a macaroni man. (I just learned what this macaroni term means and I love it. A Macaroni man is an English dandy of the 18th century wh
Melanie
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lord Fenton lives a carefree life and has a father who foots the bill. His father gets tired of Lord Fenton's ways and gives him an ultimatum. One of the conditions he needs to meet so he won't lose everything is to get married. His mother likes Alice and they met briefly in the past so he proposes. She starts to wonder at his behavior towards her and when she learns the truth, she shows him that she's not going to cower in his presence, which, of course, makes for some great drama and dialogue! ...more
Elise Derr Griffin
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alice Stanbridge has been in love with Lord Fenton from childhood, when she caught him in an act of mischief and he rewarded her silence with a small act of kindness. Now attending her first London season, Alice dreams of seeing him again. She is pleasantly surprised when Fenton's mother, Lady Chariton, seeks out her companionship.

Charles Fenton spends most of his time gambling, drinking, dressing as a dandy, and generally playing the fool. When his lifestyle threatens his father's reputation, h
Lisa Brown
Lord Fenton has pushed the limits of his father's patience with his dubious ways, until he is going to be disinherited, unless he agrees to his father's list of demands. One of the demands, is for him to marry. Alice Stanbridge has been in love with Fenton since she first met him as a young girl, and so when he offers for her hand, she accepts, even though they don't really know each other. However, she soon discovers that he only chose her because of needing to do what his father asked, and bec ...more
Michelle
Ok, went to the library and didn’t have a lot of time to look for anything, but I remembered liking ‘a heart revealed ok’ soo grabbed 4 available kilpack books.

The 3 I read so far I wasn’t really impressed with. I’m pretty sure I will remember nothing about them in about a week. They weren’t bad, just not that good. They were clean as far as language and sex and stuff.

It’s not that they were vanilla...I like vanilla—subtlety, understatement. It was more like they were, I don’t know, generic sto
Lesr Kew
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! Certain parts were like

oh... my... lord ... good.

and it made me laugh out loud at different times. That's a big plus!!
Julie
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lord Fenton's Folly, the second regency romance from Josi Kilpack does not disappoint. This new genre is starting to rival for her mysteries in my affection! She's really doing a great job.

In this one we meet a curious sixteen-year-old young Lord Fenton who starts a fire as an experiment (knowing rain is on the way so it won't spread) but gets caught by a ten-year-old girl. He promises to get her some space for a garden if she'll keep his secret. She agrees, her little ten-year-old heart complet
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
**4.5**

Lord Fenton became a favorite character of mine in A Heart Revealed. He was so over the top and flamboyant that I could not pass up the opportunity to read his story. This book is a stand alone, even though Fenton is a minor character in the other book.

Alice has had a crush on Lord Fenton since she was a girl. He helped her succeed in her goal of getting her own garden when the grown ups wouldn't listen to her. He immediately became a hero and she never forgot him.

Lord Fenton is a player.
 The Flipped Page (Susan K)
Romance, Clean
This was an interesting read. There is a flashback at the beginning, and then shown the present. Alice is coming out for a season, and Lord Fenton (Charles) is a London Dandy, very sought after in town. Alice still harbors tender, perhaps rather deep dreams of loving Charles in her girlish memories of him as her champion. She hopes to meet and see him in town.
Lord Fenton, Charles has been pretending for so long all for the eyes of those around him that he doesn't know who the real
Kristen
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Despite the excellent cover which I totally judged this book from, the story was not there for me.

Let's just say, Lord Charles Fenton, I didn't like him for let's see, the first chapter when he was young, and then the last few chapter after he grew up and became someone worth being with. Through the whole book he acted like a spoiled peacock/dandy. After his father threatens to cut him off and disinherit him does he try to change, including getting married.. But he was pretty much that way, not
Mary Ellen
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Josi Kilpack is the master of creating characters that you despise, and then slowly opening them up and transforming them into beautiful people. It's amazing to watch that transformation. The character development has a natural flow. I love how her regency romance books feel as if she has placed herself in that time and written from them, rather than regurgitating tidbits of the era she has studied. The issues that are dealt with in her books are unexplored situations when it comes to this era. ...more
Mindy
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lord Fenton's Folly is a beautifully written book by an amazing author. Josi has taken the regency romance genre and ran with it! There were so many scenes in this book that either had me laughing or crying. The last few chapters were so incredible, I went back and re-read them. There is one scene in particular that was so tender, heartbreaking, and wonderful all at once, I had a hard time seeing through my tears. Alice is a character I won't forget in a long time, as well as Lady Chariton. Char ...more
Melissa
Have you ever read a book because you liked the story line and the whole feeling of the book you even liked the supporting characters, but not the main characters. I liked the heroine a little and really tried to like the hero and man was I hoping that they would change over the course of the book and thankfully they do. Don't get me wrong I liked this book but the main characters drove me a little mad. I just don't do the dandy guy thing and the nasty snapping between the two:{ So I don't under ...more
Kate Tilton
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I adored this book so so very much! Generally, I’m not a romance reader. I like young adult fantasy and sci-fi with a little romance included, but I figured I’d give this book a shot as the publisher was so kind to give me and ARC. I was sucked into the story right at the start and when my plane landed I didn’t want to stop reading. Lord Fenton’s Folly reminded me of Pride and Prejudice with a strong female lead in Alice and lovely banter between her and Lord Fenton.

The full review can be fo
Around the Year i...: Lord Fenton's Folly, by Josi S. Kilpack 1 12 Oct 02, 2016 11:12AM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 4 Aug 21, 2015 03:12PM

• My Fair Gentleman
  • As You Are (The Jonquil Brothers #3)
  • Becoming Lady Lockwood
  • Glimmer of Hope
  • A Fine Gentleman (The Jonquil Brothers #4)
  • For Love or Honor (The Jonquil Brothers #5)
  • Lakeshire Park
  • Friends and Foes (The Jonquil Brothers, #1)
  • Courting Miss Lancaster (The Lancaster Family, #2)
  • The Kiss of a Stranger (The Jonquil Brothers, #0)
  • Promised
  • Drops of Gold (The Jonquil Brothers #2)
  • Seeking Persephone (The Lancaster Family, #1)
  • Miss Burton Unmasks a Prince
  • For Elise
  • Romancing Daphne (The Lancaster Family, #3)
  • The Lady and the Highwayman (The Dread Penny Society #1)
  • A Proper Charade
I wrote my first book while on bed rest with my third child in 1998 and haven't stopped. My most recent books have been Historical Romance through the Proper Romance line with Shadow Mountain Publishing.

I currently live in Willard, Utah with my husband, and children.

A Proper Romance (6 books)
  • A Heart Revealed (A Proper Romance #1)
  • The Vicar's Daughter (A Proper Romance #3)
  • All That Makes Life Bright: The Life and Love of Harriet Beecher Stowe
  • The Lady of the Lakes: The True Love Story of Sir Walter Scott
  • Miss Wilton's Waltz (A Proper Romance #5)

News & Interviews

“...when and if we are ever alone, I expect the real Lord Fenton to be there, assuming you know where to find him.” 1 likes