Start by marking “Cold As Ice (Whatever After #6)” as Want to Read:
Cold As Ice (Whatever After #6)

Cold As Ice

(Whatever After #6)

Even though my brother and I had decided to stay away from the magic mirror, our puppy had other plans -- he bounded right in. What choice did we have but to go in after him?

When we land in a winter wonderland, we realize we must be in the story of The Snow Queen. And this fairy tale is nothing like the movie. This Snow Queen is super-mean, and she turns our dog into an i
Published October 27th 2015 by Scholastic Press (first published November 25th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Cold As Ice, please sign up.

Bookworm007
Apr 13, 2014 marked it as aint-anywhere-or-out  ·  review of another edition
Am I right in guessing that this book will be about The Snow Queen? :3

edit on June 30, 2014

But wait, at the back of Bad Hair Day, it stated that the next book — book #6 — would be called Beauty Queen, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast..........?
Trinity
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm guessing frozen ❄⛄ ...more
AnishaB
Mar 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
This book is about a girl named Abby who has a brother named Jonah and they travel in a magic mirror together to go into a magical fairytale. In this book they go into the original Frozen with the Snow Queen.
Stuart
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a great dearth of chapter books targeted at this age group that are enjoyable to read for both parent and child -- while there are a great deal of books targeted at this age group that are not so enjoyable to read (at least for parents). So it was a great joy to discover this series. While firmly targeted toward younger readers, there are enjoyable aspects for adults reading along as well: humor, quirkiness, foreshadowing, deft story construction. Perhaps the best aspect is how Mlynowsk ...more
BookCupid
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, middle-grade
Abby adores her trio of friends and believes nothing can come between them. Until Robin decides she wants to have another friend on the side. Feeling betrayed, Abby kicks her out of the group. But before she can do more damage, the mirror sweeps Abby, Jonah, and their dog Prince to a Frozen land where the Snow Queen is known to freeze people just to keep them by her side. Now, what could she and Abby have in common?

Once again, Mlynowski wrote a sweet addition to the series. This one
Stefanie
I haven't read all of the books in this series, but I didn't need to in order to enjoy this one. I saw it on the shelf at my library and knew I had to read it. I enjoyed all the Frozen references (I appreciate any Disney reference) and it was nice to see how the Snow Queen was portrayed in here.

Not as good as If the Shoe fits, but I know I'll continue to check these books out from the library whenever I spot them.

My sister commented why I'd be reading a winter book in May, but at le
Claudia
Sep 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: january-2015
This book would be about her going to another fairy tale such as her other books. It was about the Snow Queen, she froze her Abby and Jonah's dog and trying to save the character in the fairy tale. But they bumped into a little trouble with a band of thieves. The reason I picked this book would be because it was part of her series and I think that the series had a lot of adventure into it. I finished the book because I didn't want to leave the book in the middle, to me it would kinda kill the me ...more
J.C.
Amazing, as always. Except one thing (view spoiler)
Isa
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has been one of the best book of the series! This book is based of the original story of The Snow Queen! ❄❄❄❄❄ it's a wonderful story filled with lots and lots of snow, snowmen,fun, joy, and laughter!!!

Can't wait to read the next book "Whatever After; Beauty Queen" #7
Mabel
Sep 16, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The book is coming out in January and it's probably gonna be based on the "Snow Queen" i'm assuming. I checked her website and it says that she will still be doing the Beauty queen (beauty and the beast) but it will be in book 7 which is coming in May :)
Sooo ya. The book won't be based on Frozen, maybe she'll do another book on Frozen some time.
amy johnson
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Watch out your about to get snowballed

In as cold as ice you while get an exciting chilling breeze down your back or turned into a ice cube or maybe just see how friendship can put a smile on anyone's face even the snow queen. See how this chilling tale can turn into a thrilling adventure

Jennifer Lara
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's about a girl and a boy going into a magic mirror that takes them into the fairy tale "The snow Queen" And they need to find a way home.This book is great for kids who love fairy tales.I recommend this book for kids who love to read fairy tales.
Iman
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jismeily
AMAZING! you should really read this book
Carly S
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was an amazing book! I rated this 5 stars because I never wanted to put the book down! This book is about a girl named Abby and her brother Jonah who have a magic mirror in their basement. They realized that they were in the Snow Queen's story after their puppy, (Prince) got frozen by the evil Snow Queen! When they try to run away, they land on a frozen lake! Then all of a sudden they hear a loud CRACK! The next thing they knew they were dropped into the freezing, cold lake below th ...more
Jill Jemmett
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really love this series! This chilly story was a great book.

I’ve never read the tale of the Snow Queen, so this story was new to me. I’ve watched Frozen, but the fairytales that Abby and Jonah enter are the original tales, not the Disney versions. This story is a dark tale, so Abby and Jonah had to try to turn it into a happy ending.

There were some big surprises at the end of this story. Abby and Jonah’s secret of the mirror was almost discovered by their parents, but a
Isabella Larios
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book “ Whatever After- Cold as Ice “ is a great book to read in winter your winter break or when you are drinking hot chocolate on a cold night. I enjoyed this book because it has that warm feeling you get when you read a sweet novel about family and their relationships on Christmas or any holiday. I believe this was a great book to read because it dialogue between characters gives it a warm feeling in winter. I would recommend this book to any Elementary teachers to read to their classes b ...more
Bookishrealm
I'm so sad about what happened at the end but I must say I did enjoy this one. I wasn't as familiar with the whole story of the Ice Queen so I learned a whole bunch. I'm so sad that I'm actually coming really close to finishing this series because the books have been a great journey and experience. I think I'm going to start doing reviews of the books as I come closer to finishing the series. Overall this is a great series for kids that are getting into reading and really enjoy fairytales.
Jonathan Simpson
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another strong entry in the series. The author balances a sincerity and reverence for these princess stories with an off-kilter randomness that I am finding very pleasant. And she stretches her muscles a little here, presenting for the first time a situation with real notes of horror. Abby continues to be a winning protagonist, whose virtues and flaws are on full display to help readers learn as they adventure beside her and Jonah.
✰ phoebe ✰
My sister bought this book at a book fair right before my birthday. I'd stopped following the series by then, as I'd moved on to more mature books, but I read it and enjoyed it nonetheless. The Frozen references killed me though... Now it's 2018 and some people still haven't moved on. Why was that movie so hyped up again?
Lynsi
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this sweet story with my daughter. Abby and Jonah enter into the Snow Queen fairytale. It is a story of friendship, more than anything else, emphasizing that we don’t have ownership over friends. It’s a slightly different lesson on friendship than in most books and definitely a different take on the fairytale. Refreshingly unique.
Emily Carroll
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as its predecessor but especially loved the ending!

Didn’t connect with the fairy tale characters as much in this one as in the previous one.

Your thoughts: Seriously, Em? You’re going to count this series? Your fifth graders are reading these books.

Me: Yes, but I’m behind on my reading challenge as it is. Sorry.
AMY
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Grades 3-5
163 pages. Another great adventure where Abby and Jonah go in search of their dog Prince into the mirror. They end up in a blizzard land where the Snow Queen is freezing everyone. They also meet a reindeer named Ralph who can fly. It is well-written and I recommend it for ES.
Mary Thomas
I've really enjoyed this series and am trying to stay one step ahead of my niece and my fourth grade students. This one I didn't care for as much, but that could be because of the actual fairytale Snow Queen.
Rose
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Whatever After series. I’m totally entertained by them, which probably says something about me. This book introduces the mirror to the kids furry friend and adds a whole new level of adventure!
HaleyT
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I pretty much liked this book because the main character, Abby, had many, many problems but found a lot of ways to solve all of them.
Amy Hocker bertul
I love these books, this one was only ok tho!
Tegan
I like this one because it had an eerier aspect with the Snow Queen.
Kalayla Seehafer
I enjoyed this one so much! I think 'frombies' is so funny!
Marie
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are cute books that I read aloud to my girls
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Sleeping Beauty Dreams Big (Grimmtastic Girls, #5)
  • The Moonlight Mystery (The Rescue Princesses #3)
  • Ninja-Rella: A Graphic Novel
  • All Hail the Queen (Disney Frozen: Anna & Elsa, #1)
  • Clover's Luck (The Magical Animal Adoption Agency, #1)
  • 七つの大罪 25 [Nanatsu no Taizai 25] (The Seven Deadly Sins, #25)
  • The Lost Legacy (The Supernormal Sleuthing Service, #1)
  • Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Summer Vacation (Charlie Joe Jackson, #3)
  • Misfits (Royal Academy Rebels #1)
  • A Semi-Charming Kind of Life (Ever After High: A School Story, #3)
  • Sleeping Beauty's Daughters
  • Secrets from the Sleeping Bag (Blogtastic!, #3)
  • The Secret History of Tom Trueheart (Tom Trueheart, #1)
  • Marion Takes a Break (The Critter Club, #4)
  • Secrets and Shadows (The Secret Zoo, #2)
Sarah was born in Montreal, Canada. After graduating with an honors degree in English literature from McGill University, she moved to Toronto to work for Harlequin Enterprises. While she never met Fabio, she used her romance publishing experiences to fuel her first novel Milkrun.

Since then, Sarah has written four additional novels for adults: Fishbowl, As Seen on TV, Monkey Business, and Me vs. Me; the New York Times bestse

Whatever After (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Fairest of All (Whatever After, #1)
  • If the Shoe Fits (Whatever After, #2)
  • Sink or Swim (Whatever After, #3)
  • Dream On (Whatever After, #4)
  • Bad Hair Day (Whatever After, #5)
  • Beauty Queen (Whatever After, #7)
  • Once Upon a Frog (Whatever After #8)
  • Genie in a Bottle (Whatever After #9)
  • Sugar and Spice (Whatever After #10)
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
“Although, if they did find out, then at least I wouldn’t have to lie about it anymore. But I bet they’d be pretty freaked out. Maybe they would give the mirror away. Although it’s bolted to the wall. If they couldn’t get it off, maybe they would want to move. I’d have to go to another school. I bet Robin would miss me then. I hear another creak. The sound is coming from right next to my room. Which means it’s my brother’s door, and not my parents’. Maybe Maryrose woke up Jonah, too. I glance at the clock. It’s 11:56. Maryrose only lets us through the mirror at midnight. Is Jonah sneaking down to the basement? Is he planning on going through the mirror without me? He better not be. He knows he’s not allowed to do that. “Jonah?” I say quietly. No answer.” 1 likes
“snow angel?” 1 likes