Start by marking “The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization” as Want to Read:

The Wisdom of Teams: Creating the High-Performance Organization
Published October 13th 2015 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Wisdom of Teams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wisdom of Teams

Sallie Dunn
More required work reading! Blah, blah, blah
Toe
Oct 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Slogging through this crap was one of the more unpleasant reading experiences I've had. The only thing worse than a terrible topic for a book is a terrible topic poorly executed. The topic: teams and teamwork. The execution: nothing more than extremely general, common sense points, sometimes listed. I learned literally nothing worthwhile. One can envision middle and upper managers thinking this book will inspire their underlings to come together as great teams and perform well at the tasks assig ...more
Denis Vasilev
Aug 22, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Консалтерская абракадабра на тему командной работы. Набор благих пожеланий на основе выдуманной интерпретации примеров.
Kurt Steiner
Aug 20, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible. Boring with no insights or research really. Do not purchase this book.
Timothy Darling
If you need to work in teams, this is a good book for you to read. The authors focus strongly on task as the single most important factor of team function and formation. They insist that building a team while focusing on the team itself is a big mistake. Rather the team should focus on the purpose for which they were assembled, each having a significant contribution to make to the goal. Focusing on team building and interpersonal dynamics are merely distractions.

The authors build a case for thei
Jeff Lampson
This book is a classic and grew my appetite for reading their follow up books The discipline of teams and Teams at the Top. Their definitions for teams is incredibly helpful and identifies very clear team structure, behavior and attributes:
-Small number of people
-Complementary Skills
-Committed to a common purpose
-Performance Goals
-Collaborative Approach
-Mutually Accountable

They provide the richest and most candid discussion of the unique issues of Executive Team and whether or not they should ac
Alex Kondrashin
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Невыносимо скучная, но совершенно незаменимая книга.
thethousanderclub
Adam C. Zern shares his thoughts . . .

"My current occupation is as a Business Analyst for a specialty pharmacy. It has been a wonderful learning experience as I've acclimated to the role and its requirements. Just like with other areas of my life, I dislike not knowing what can be known. Generally, my non-fiction reading list is packed full of political science and historical books since I have such a passion for both. Yet, especially over the last several months, I have felt a desire to increas
Borna Safai
Jul 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
What is it that makes teams strong? According to Katzenbach and Smith, it's an emphasis on performance. That's the essence of the book in a nutshell.

So why should you read it? The Wisdom of Teams shares a number of stories and experiences from companies of different scale, and how they managed to progress through the different stages of groups and teams to become high-performing teams. Overall, the main point that is being made is that groups don't become high-performing on their own, and especi
Greg
Sep 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
I give this book only 3 stars because it reads like a book for business school. It is too narrative in presentation and lacks the important cut-to-the-chase summaries of books meant to go into practical use for a busy executive. It is an advocacy piece for the authors' contention that teams, as they define them, are the wave of the future - i.e., they are trying to kick off the latest management fad. Don't get me wrong, the book includes some very relevant examples and good advice, it is just bu ...more
Michael
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty decent business book. I read it shortly after my company underwent a major reorganization, shifting functionality from silos to teams. The book spells out how teams are structured and developed. In my experience, high performance teams, alas, are elusive. Even if the structure can be discerned, and developed, ultimately the effectiveness of teams are largely driven by a mutually agreed upon vision that translates into a passion that eventually exhausts itself. A team can be cohe ...more
Danny Daley
Like most business books, this was a bit too anecdotal for me. Light reading, definitely backed up by data but far too reliant on stories and examples built upon narrative. I think the greatest strength of the book is its counter-intuitive nature. Across the board, many of the author's conclusions go against the grain of assumed thinking on team building, but the best of their many arguments is a reinforcement of something that I've believed for a long time - chemistry on teams is vastly overrat ...more
Marc Wachtfogel
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
This is a thought provoking read with many takeaways. The authors take a somewhat firm stand (I appreciate a more integrative and flexible approach) on what they believe (based on their studies) a real team is made of. They provide numerous examples to support their claims. For example, they assert that "real teams" do not have a leader, are self managing, share leadership through collaboration and possess a shared vision. They describe the environments where these teams thrive and the steps org ...more
JoAnn
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A clearly-written, useful work that helps define what makes a work group truly a team. Asserts that a team is clearly distinguished from a work team by the degree of interdependence its members have, along with agreeing on an approach to get the work done. Good balance between concepts and practical advice. Succinctly describes high performance work teams and the authenticity such teams bring out, even demand of their members.
Mark
THE WISDOM OF TEAMS is probably the standard text on the topic, and as such is a solid, comprehensive resource. It's probably a bit too "academic" for most executives (the people who will value it most are consultants or OD folks who work with teams and organizations), and some of the examples will come across as a little dates, but the core ideas are important and spot-on, including the now-well-known and useful distinction between "teams" and "working groups."
Gerard Chiva
The book contains important wisdom about team performance in organizations, however it is written in an old style like a novel. After reading it, I'm quite sure they could have written it in 1/3 of the size and would be much more readable and pedagogic.

This book would improve by reducing storytelling and examples, adding summaries at the end of each chapter and some charts, tables and bullet points.

Although, it is poorly written, I still recommend it to coaches, team leaders and managers.
Greg
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughtful and well-written, this book is based on the authors' unusually perceptive and realistic experience and conclusions with high performing teams. It incorporates very practical and powerful tools and counsel for anyone leading teams, whether in our professional or personal lives. This is required reading in my college class on team leadership!
Peter Krol
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Has some very helpful concepts regarding teams in a business setting. Teamwork is not the same thing as teams. Teams form around extraordinary performance challenges and a culture of discipline. Teams will outperform groups of individuals who remain individually accountable for their work.

Great stuff. Unfortunately, the book is challenging to read and follow. It takes commitment to get through.
Matt Moran
A study of teamwork and why teams have the potential to be the best, most flexible and most productive way of accomplishing difficult work. The main point of the book is that teams have to have a relentless focus on performance - this is what makes a group of people working together truly a team.

Repetitive and poorly written, but still helpful.
Reggie Walker
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As books on team building go, this is one of the best. Well researched, effectively delivered information about creating powerful teams, real teams. For those who are still thinking they can change the name of a work group or committee to 'a team' and get real change and improved productivity - read this book.
Virginia Lacefield
Mar 24, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ldp
Not bad! Good case studies, main points a little repetitive, but generally solid. Could use some updating/revision, though - using Enron as an example of great teamwork is not so motivating these days. :(
Tufbes
Dec 27, 2016 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hb
ı want read
Paul
Jan 24, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stopped-reading
The writing is insufferable. Truly awful. And since it was written by fellow McKinsey men, I really wanted to like this book. Although the ideas about teams are fine, the book is terrible.
Michael Rushnak
One is powerful but if a team acts as one, the team is supreme
Tomek
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very abstract, but a few good cases are there
Kristie Castellini
Excellent framework for effective team design
Joanne
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent examples of teaming - and what works. This is not my first read of this book, but is worth reviewing.
Ravi
True to its title, this book indeed contains gems of wisdom about teams.
Colin Jones
Not great. Maybe it would be helpful if I had no idea what a team was?
Aug 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennifer by: Grad school
Shelves: graduate-school
Grad school

• Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • Leading Teams: Setting the Stage for Great Performances
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Zapp! The Lightning of Empowerment: How to Improve Quality, Productivity, and Employee Satisfaction
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Managing at the Speed of Change: How Resilient Managers Succeed and Prosper Where Others Fail
  • The Leadership Engine: How Winning Companies Build Leaders at Every Level
  • John P. Kotter on What Leaders Really Do
  • Collaboration: How Leaders Avoid the Traps, Build Common Ground, and Reap Big Results
  • Group Genius: The Creative Power of Collaboration
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Managing for Results
  • The Skilled Facilitator: A Comprehensive Resource for Consultants, Facilitators, Managers, Trainers, and Coaches