Start by marking “Chasing a Brighter Blue” as Want to Read:
Chasing a Brighter Blue

Chasing a Brighter Blue

A Christmas wedding in Colorado? A two-week celebration for family and friends? Who does that?

Photojournalist Reagan Bryant is haunted by the tragedy that ended her last assignment in Afghanistan. She’s searching for some peace, something to end her guilt and chase away her trauma. Two weeks at a resort hotel, owned by her future sister-in-law’s father, seems like the perf
Published December 22nd 2015 by Bella Books

To ask other readers questions about Chasing a Brighter Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing a Brighter Blue

Agirlcandream
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
That was a sweet refreshing read. Sometimes you just have to read the pros to remember why you love Lesfic romances.
Joc
This was so much better than I expected from book with an elk on the cover. Shelby's sister, Stephanie, is getting married on Christmas day at one of the family's three hotels. While having a drink at the bar Shelby is hit on by a woman with sad, haunted eyes only to discover that she is Stephanie's fiance's sister, Reagan.

In the two weeks leading up to the wedding Shelby and Reagan find themselves on hop from Shelby's mother who is a wedding nazi and lesbian-daughter-denialist. It's a sweet and
Les Rêveur
Before I start this review I just want to say that Gerri Hill is one of my favourite Lesbian Fiction Authors. There hasn’t been a book I’ve read as of yet that hasn’t left me wanting more from this author. I fell onto this book purely by chance, I had just finished Love Waits and wanted more from Gerri Hill… who knew I would love this just as much.

The book is based around a family wedding taking place in a resort in Colorado over the Christmas period. Reagan is home from Afghanistan where she wa
Bib
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have almost forgotten that Gerri Hill’s books are pretty clean cut and a delight to read.
Book Worm
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, f-f, so-so-cover
On the whole, this is a sweet story about two people learning to trust. This is not a new theme but actually a very common one. What else do we have? There is the scarred woman, carrying guilt and trauma plus there is the rich girl who thinks everybody is just after her money. The setting is a very elaborate, almost hyperbolic wedding of about two weeks on Christmas of all things.
I liked both characters alright. I liked their chemistry and I liked the narrator. However, and you might already gu
Lissa
I am beginning to think that I just shouldn't read Gerri Hill's books.

The thing is, I want to like them. I live in Colorado and love the state, and so to see lesbian fiction that is set in Colorado (and is also believable, as in the author obviously has spent serious time here) should be the bee's knees for me. And yet I have yet to read a Gerri Hill book that I actually enjoyed. Granted, I've only read three (this one, plus Storms and Snow Falls), but I haven't liked any of them at all.

I guess
Miss KittyKat
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone wanting a holiday story.
Shelves: mod-romances
I wanted a holiday story with some meat and not the fluffy cheesy holiday read. This story fit. The storys main characters are Reagan a photojournalist back from Afghanistan, and Shelby, whose family owns the resort where the wedding is to be held. These two get together at a Christmas wedding where Reagan’s brother is the groom and Shelby’s sister the bride. Reagan is haunted by events she lived through in Afghanistan. Shelby is cautious of relationships because she fears women are interested i ...more
Margaret
Apr 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: l-words
Detailed score:3.25

Chasing a Brighter Blue is fine but forgettable. It is the second-to-last book I read yet I am already struggling to recall the names of the leads or key aspects to the storyline.

This is a pity as one of the leads was my favourite sort of character - strong on the outside, broken on the inside, unwilling to open up to anyone about her paiiiinnnn (yup, I like my characters to have suffered ;) ). This characteristic, though, which is often used powerfully in other (lesrom) novel
Anja
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Gerri Hill never disappoints, cute story (despite the Reagan's demons and Shelby's relatives ;) Can't wait for her next book
Cheri
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Very typical Hill stand alone romance with some of the same themes/plot devices as some other books. It mostly reminded me of Snow Falls but I didn't connect with this one nearly as much.

I really don't like the overly aggressive potential suitor characters that were in this book or, to a much larger degree, in The Roundabout. Particularly since the actions of those characters are played off as humorous or harmless.

But I did like the protagonists and the way they got to know each other and thei
Luce
3 STARS

I'm not sure if this should be classified as a holiday/Christmas story. Although it takes place during Christmas however it is the wedding of Shelby's sister to Reagan's brother that is the event.

The friendship and later romance between Shelby & Reagan over 2 weeks felt slow although the actual time was short. I don't mind slow friendship to romance stories - maybe even prefer them. This just felt slow & repetitive. Unless The author's goal was to make the reader feel that a 2 we
Heidi
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nothing stands out as special, but I still really enjoyed the story. The character interactions with each other were great. Family drama and budding romance both played out and kept me reading. Descriptions of the area, the trails and the different events leading to the wedding were so clear I could see them in my mind. Another winner from a go to author!
Regina
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is well-written as all Gerri Hill's books are, but I think it lacked a certain chemistry and spark between the two lead characters. It's still a pleasant read but it's not as gripping or compelling as some of her stronger and older titles. If you have not read Pelican's Landing (her other release this year), check it out first.
MJS
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve had this in my TBR pile for awhile but I saved it since I thought it was a holiday story, since it’s set at Xmas. It’s not really a holiday story though.

Reagan and Shelby are both attending the Christmas wedding festivities of their respective siblings (Reagan’s brother Josh and Shelby’s sister Stephanie). Since Shelby’s family is loaded, these festivities involve two weeks of celebrations at a high end hotel. I have to say I thought Reagan would be a completely different kind of character
Ayse
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt-romance
A cute well written romance that made sense in an accelerated timeline. With the backdrop of a wedding, it had a ship in a bottle feel of enforced closeness driving them together. Shelby and Reagan are fully fleshed out characters who you want to root for. Shelby seems a little too good to be true but since it flips between her POV to Reagan's, you get a good sense of her inner thoughts that gives the sense of a real person. the secondary characters are well formed also, from the supportive pare ...more
Tara
I loved Shelby and Reagan. They’re both such lovely, interestingly developed characters, even if they’re very different people with different struggles. Reagan is at the beginning of a likely case of PTSD, and for good reason that I won’t spoil here. It’s beautiful to see her open up to Shelby, and then see what that does for her relationship with her family. Shelby, on the other hand, is very stable with her life and career, but has her own challenges in dealing with her mother, who only cares ...more
Kindle Girl
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A short but sweet, slow burning romance... you just cant deny the smile on your face while reading.
As Joc said in another review: "This was so much better than I expected from book with an elk on the cover." And thats completely true! I read almost all of Gerri Hills romances, and the best of the best for me is "At Seventeen", without a doubt. And all the others were just..... ok (Dear Gerri, if youre reading this, Im sorry!). Always an excelent writing, and an insteresting plot... but just it:
Lynn
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gerri Hill will always be Gerri Hill, I mean all her books are well written and the setting is always fascinating.
This book is no exception.
I’m not usually into pure romance but it was Christmas time and I felt like reading a holiday book! It looks like it was the perfect choice.
Val
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Classic Gerri Hill. Loved it. I have yet to be disappointed by this author.
JulesGP
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First time reader of a Gerri Hill Book. I was almost determined to not like Chasing a Brighter Blue before I even read a word because so many people are fanatical over her works and I’m often at odds with the crowd. Little did I know that this skillful, seasoned author would effortlessly weave this quiet story of two women simply falling in love and I would be all in after only one chapter. And furthermore that I would become so enthralled by this story that I downloaded the Kindle app on my iPh ...more
Dorothy Bennett
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
CHASING A BRIGHTER BLUE is now one of my favorite Gerri Hill books. I love the setting: Christmas season in Estes Park, Colorado in the final days before a wedding. I love the lead characters: Shelby Sutton, businesswoman in the family business, too busy for love; Reagan Bryant, photojournalist burned out from too many war zones and one tragedy too many, needing to heal. I love the families, with their differing attitudes toward just about everything, especially lesbianism. I love the romance, b ...more
Shelley M.
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: queer, 2017, fiction, christmas
Lesbian romance taking place at a Christmas wedding! I could have gone for more Christmas, but the romance part was good as long as you don't think about emotional labor that femmes are expected to put forth. Like so much of the romance was Shelby being the only person that Reagan could talk to about her trauma. But I thought this was enjoyable and I like the snowy mountain hotel setting.
Amydee
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was my holiday leisure read and just now getting around to reviewing it. I loved this book. It was super sweet, the characters were well developed and relatable, the environment was thoroughly described, and the story was easy for me to lose myself in. Loved it! I look forward to reading more of Gerri Hill's work...maybe a good summer read.
Debra Todd
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every time I pick up a Gerri Hill book...

They just get better and better. I really enjoyed the pace of this one and fell in love with all the characters. It had a nice flow to it and did not feel rushed in the end. It’s the best one yet. I would love to find my Reagan.
Katrina
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-and-lesbian
This was such a good book. It had a great story that seemed totally believable and not so contrived like a lot of lesfic books that I read. I will have to look up more of her work. This was very enjoyable.
Amy Kidneigh
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing story. Shelby's mom got on my nerves like you wouldn't believe! Definitely on my list to read next Christmas. ❤ ...more
Tawanna L
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I really lol be this book, I had to finish reading it today, because I had to read how it would end, and besides it's from one of my favorite authors.
Kate Rupley
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another fun easy read.
Emma
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It made me wanna take off for Estes Park
Cornelia Karlslund
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute romance featuring a sister's wedding at a hotel, a traumatic recent past and a very controlling mother.

• Warming Trend
  • Exception to the Rule
  • Flinging It
  • Mounting Danger
  • Winds of Heaven
  • Charming the Vicar (Axedale, #2)
  • Fierce Overture
Gerri began writing lesbian romance as a way to amuse herself while snowed in one winter in the mountains of Colorado, and hasn’t looked back. Her first published work came in 2000 with One Summer Night. Many more romances have followed, with the occasional murder mystery in the mix.
Gerri’s love of nature and of being outdoors usually makes its way into her stories as her characters often find the