Start by marking “The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Star-Touched Queen (The Star-Touched Queen, #1)

The Star-Touched Queen

(The Star-Touched Queen #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  19,739 ratings  ·  4,461 reviews
Length: 9h 22m

Fate and fortune. Power and passion. What does it take to be the queen of a kingdom when you’re only seventeen?

Maya is cursed. With a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction, she has earned only the scorn and fear of her father’s kingdom. Content to follow more scholarly pursuits, her whole world is torn apart when her father, the Raja, ar
Published April 26th 2016 by St. Martin's Griffin
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about The Star-Touched Queen, please sign up.
Roshani Chokshi Regarding the Hindu myths, there were many that had a direct influence on The Star-Touched Queen! I'm not sure if they're familiar to many readers,…moreRegarding the Hindu myths, there were many that had a direct influence on The Star-Touched Queen! I'm not sure if they're familiar to many readers, but if not, I hope this list inspires you to seek them out and learn more about them :)

1. Savitri and Satyavan: This is a beautiful tale about a woman who outwits Death to save her husband's life. I've always been intrigued by female characters whose strength comes from their mind and not just their muscle.

2. Shiva and Parvati: In the Hindu pantheon, Shiva is one of the main deities. He's known as the Destroyer. His consort is Parvati, but she is a reincarnation of Sati. Reincarnation is a common motif in Hindu mythology, but what I loved about their story is how they found one another despite the obstacles.

3. The Ramayana: The Ramayana is one of the great Sanskrit epics (along with the Mahabharata). There's an interesting scene where Sita (the wife of Rama, the main character, and also the reincarnation of Goddess Lakshmi) has to submit to a test of purity known as the "agni pariksha." The scene is emotionally wrenching because it showed how rulers (even if they are divine!) fall prey to the rumors and suspicions of others.

4. Shakuntula: This is one of the great Kalidasa plays. What I loved about this tale is how memory can become a tangible thing, like a token that can be given.

5. Narasimha: One of my favorites! This is a tale about a demon king who performs severe penances to avoid death by making a list of conditions under which he cannot be killed. I loved this myth because it demonstrated how things could be interpreted. It made fate seem a little more pliable.

Thank you for asking this question! :)(less)
Roshani Chokshi Standalone! But I am working on my second book, which will be a companion to The Star-Touched Queen. It will be in the same universe and follow minor…moreStandalone! But I am working on my second book, which will be a companion to The Star-Touched Queen. It will be in the same universe and follow minor characters from the first book!(less)
YA Novels of 2016
1,292 books — 9,682 voters
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
256 books — 1,443 voters

More lists with this book...

·  19,739 ratings  ·  4,461 reviews

Emily May
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
“I want to share whole worlds with you and write your name in the stars.”
“I want to measure eternity with your laughter.”

I want to know what the fuck that^ means? No, seriously, can someone tell me?

1 1/2 stars. The Star-Touched Queen is a book full of dreamy, purple prose that is at times beautiful, and at others makes absolutely no sense. But if you buy into these metaphors, put on your prose-tinted glasses and let yourself get drunk on the glittering descriptions, I suppose you might be able
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Although I had never envisioned marriage, I had thought of love. Not the furtive love I heard muffled in the corners or rooms of some of the harem wives. What I wanted was a connection, a shared heartbeat that kept rhythm across oceans and worlds. I didn't want the prince from the folktales or some milk-skinned, honey-eyed youth who said his greetings and proclaimed his love in the same breath. I wanted a love thick with time, as inscrutable as if a lathe had carved it from night and as familia
Lola
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing

All fantasy readers, are you ready to meet your favourite 2016 publication?

That’s right, it’s that good.

The first thing you’ll notice when you start reading this gem is the elegant writing. If it doesn’t sweep you off your feet, color me dumbstruck. I can’t imagine someone being immune to it. An angel must have written this story.

‘‘My kingdom needs a queen,’’ he said. ‘‘It needs someone with fury in her heart and shadows in her smile. It needs someone restless and clever. It needs you.’’

As I w
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
I know I'm in the minority with this one. I gave a full star simply for the writing. Other than that...the book lost me. It was hard to stay interested. Gorgeous writing is not enough to make up for what it's lacking in plot and characters.

I admit it. I saw all the hype surrounding The Star-Touched Queen..all those 5 star reviews. And I needed to read it. A retelling of Hades and Persephone. Fairy-tale like story. A girl cursed by the stars. What could go wrong? Unfortunately...me and this stor
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Goodreads is saying I've read this for the second time but this is my first time reading it (as it has with a lot of books since adding the rereading feature). Need sometime to think on it also it's 5am so I will update later!
jessica
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
you know that feeling when you finish a book and enjoy it, so you go creep on your friends reviews to see how much they like it as well, but then you have to slowly back away because more than half of them DNF’d it? no? just me? okay then. haha.

yikes. i honestly had no idea so many people disliked this book. i mean, i can sort of understand how it might have bored some people, but i actually quite liked this. i thought the writing was imaginatively descriptive, the story was unique and magical,
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)

❝He loved her. And she loved him. And in such bliss does devastation grow.❞

Rating: {★ ★ ★}

I must admit, I'm a bit conflicted on how I want to rate and review this book. I enjoyed reading The Star-Touched Queen but at the same time, I did have a few issues that stuck out to me and affected my reading experience.

The Star-Touched Queen was like The Wrath and the Dawn meets Cruel Beauty meets A Court of Thorns and Roses with Indian mythology added into the mix. A lot was going on and I was reall
Christopher Paolini
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recommended
Wonderful mythic fantasy. Definitely recommend it!
Melanie

“Kill, if you must. String a garland of severed heads around your waist if you want. I would take you in my arms if you were drenched in blood or dressed in rubies … but think. Impulsiveness is a dangerous thing.”

You guys, this was so beautiful! The Star-Touched Queen is a loosely based retelling of the Greek mythology surrounding Hades and Persephone, but told in a setting to completely celebrate Indian culture. I loved every aspect of the retelling, but I also loved every new and inventive
Joelle (Throne of books)
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-reviews

ARC Review:
Inspired by Indian folklore and Greek mythology, The Star-Touched Queen is a beautifully written, captivating story luscious in detail and suffused with vivid imagery.

Cursed with a horoscope upon birth that promises a marriage of death and destruction, seventeen-year old princess Maya is feared by the people in her fathers kingdom. Made to feel outcast and inadequate, Maya embarks on a journey to unravel her true identity. As she embarks on this quest she is met with lies, decept
Simona Bartolotta
Nov 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
1.5

Universe, are you throwing terrible books at me or are you throwing terrible books at me?
The stars are liable to become a star. Singular.
(At the end of the day, the stars did become one).

In my last reviews I've been complaining more often than not: you probably think I'm a gigantic grump.
You're right.
But I think that when I complain, I do it for the right reasons.

Take this book, for instance.

•It's my (dis)pleasure to introduce now the hugest and most severe case of insta-love I've ever witne
Sana
Minor spoilers ahead. They won't be marked.

I've been reading this book for about 15 days now and I'm so thankful it's OVER! This was one of the most annoying and confusing books I've ever read with the most over descriptive and lyrical writing EVER. Some of the sentences made no sense to me??? I skimmed through the last 25% and could care less what happened. The romance was horrible insta love and Maya was super annoying.

Alright, let's start with the good:
🔸It's an Indian setting!!
Err...that's a
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
2 Stars

What a waste of an interesting combination of Greek mythology and Indian folklore. This book is the definition of purple prose. There was barely any plot, and what existed was buried under so many metaphors, hyperboles and pretty adjectives it was confusing as heck.

Examples:

“I wanted a love thick with time, as inscrutable as if a lathe had carved it from night and as famili
Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway)

I anticipated this book SO highly. Not only did the cover and blurb speak to me in about a hundred different ways, but the early reviews were glowing. Unfortunately, this turned out to be my perhaps biggest disappointment of the year so far.

The first maybe 5-10% of the book were promising. The set-up shows some potential. It has that mythological fairy-tale vibe I was expecting and I couldn’t help but feel excited about the prospect of getting to see the Night Bazaar, the crystal garden
Joshee Kun (조수아)
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Joshee Kun by: Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
My written interview with Roshani Chokshi can be found here.

I will not let us be beings of regret. I know my past. What I want is my future. —Maya

description

I cannot believe I was so hesitant to read this before. The Star-touched Queen is surprisingly one of the best novels I have read this year. The author also happens to be part Filipino, so I'm feeling quite proud at the moment. Tee-hee.

My actual rating for this book is 4.5. Before I picked it up, I actually expected to give it 3 stars. Silly me. I've
Maureen
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was SO BEAUTIFUL. THE WRITING. THE STORY. THE LOVE. I CRY.

Part 1 is SUPER confusing and jumps all over the place. Through it all I still loved the main character, Maya, but it was hard to really love the story and get into it, though I was seriously moved by some of the passages. Everything just seemed to be moving too quickly to make sense.
But part 2. PART 2. This is really where this book hits its stride. It's over halfway through but man does it make the first part worth it. Things
Fables&Wren
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

ART. ART. ART. ART. MAGICAL ART.
This book is LITERALLY MAGICAL, GLITTERY, WONDERLAND ART.

Like I can't even describe how beautiful this book is. I could have taken out all the dialogue and just read the descriptions of the lands and places they were visiting, the things they saw and the impossible becoming possible and I still would have been glued to the book. Like is there fan art of this book? I want to see this thing COME TO LIFE.

Like seriously when she goes down into The Ot
Hannah Greendale
Mayavati (Maya) is cursed at birth with a horoscope that portends of a marriage steeped in death and destruction. At seventeen years of age, she believes her curse prevents her from ever marrying and is content to spend her life as a scholar. But her plans are torn asunder when her father, the Raja, contrives an arranged marriage for political purposes, one he hopes will quell the surrounding rebel kingdoms. Maya must decide whether to accept the burden of responsibility or flee under the cloak ...more
Ayesha
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fantasy, young-adult

There, my queen,” he said. “A constellation to wear in your hair.”
“My star-touched queen,” he said softly, as if he was remembering something from long ago. “I would break the world to give you what you want.”

** The Star Touched Queen is an ensorcelling bewitching piece of unicorn uber shittttt. No kidding. ^^**

✏ I know I'm behaving in quite Aeergia( The only goddess I know about is the one who is famous for being lazy)fashion these days and being a bad friend, but I just had to tell everyone
☆☽Erica☾☆
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing

🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

[[[How many stars am I legally able to give this before it's considered weird??]]]

Here, book, have them aaaaallllllll:

YOU EARNED IT.

I'M DYING OF JOY AND WONDER AND LOVE.
Bottom line, this was breathtaking.

In a strange way, this was my ideal book. If I were to write a book, it would be this one's soul twin. I've only ever felt this way about The Love That Split the World and now this one. Not that these are my absolute favorite books of all time (although the
Helena of Sparta ✰ (on semi-hiatus)
Well, unlike Gilded Wolves, this didn’t take eons for me to read. In fact, I devoured it in one sitting. I’m in awe that this is Roshani Chokshi’s début novel!

I have no idea where the confusing, lyrical prose that other reviewers were criticising was, but I guess they probably don’t like Laini Taylor’s or Jay Kristoff’s books either...because I wouldn’t call this purple prose AT ALL. I do absolutely adore Chokshi’s descriptive writing style though, and think she has a wonderful way with words.

T
Nasom
Mar 05, 2018 marked it as dnf
Shelves: fantasy
DNF @ 43%

I really tried liking this! It had all the things I loved: Indian culture, post-marriage love story, fantasy, but it was really boring. I literally felt nothing while reading this and I fell asleep majority of the time.

The insta-love would not have been that bad if Amar, the love interest, didn't keep telling the MC things like "you are my hope and more" and other sweet things after only knowing her for like days... Update : Apparently, there was a reason for this but still

There were
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Roshani Chokshi paints with words.

She is an artist, and this book is a like a gorgeous abstract painting - beautifully crafted and intricately detailed with a whimsical flair. Her artistry deserves nothing short of 5 stars.

“I promised you the moon for your throne and stars to wear in your hair," said Amar, gesturing inside. "And I always keep my promises.”

Reasons you should read this book:

-Gorgeous and lavish writing
- Memorable quotes that will make you think
- Abstract, you'll have to div
Jodi Meadows
Official comments:

In one word: glorious. With vibrant, elegant language, Roshani Chokshi draws readers through a magical journey from one world to another, filled with dire horoscopes, reincarnation, and true love. THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN is incredible.

Unofficial comments:

Read this book if you like woooords. Beautiful, epic woooords. And amazing romance, stunning worldbuilding, and general amazingness.
TS
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
can you hear that? It’s the sound of my crushing disappointment at a poorly executed hades&persophone retelling

2 generous stars

Ok, first, let’s give recognition where recognition is due: This is a fantasy in which the MC is south asian and so are the secondary characters and it’s own voices!! Better yet, the author was heavily inspired by indian mythology when writing this book! so if that sounds promising and interesting to you, you should still give this book a chance despite my personal
Viktoria Winter
Nov 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who enjoy strong characters, romance, and mythology!
I received an ARC of The Star Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi from MacMillan. This does not affect my views on the book. All material quoted is subject to change.

"The weeks before, I had lost myself in the folktales of Bharata. Stories of elephants who spun clouds, shaking tremors loose from ancient trunks gnarled with the rime of lost cyclones, whirlwinds and thunderstorms. Myths of frank-eyed naga women, twisting serpentine, flashing smiles full of uncut gemstones. Legends of a world beneat
Lindsay Cummings
Jul 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
girl got mad writing skillz.
destini mia
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
The threads called, and I answered–it was too late to turn back now.

The Star-Touched Queen was a book that called to me. Having grown up on greek mythology and being swept up by the folklore of Koshchei the Deathless, there was something about fantastical, romanticized "death" that always piqued my interest.
“That night, I dreamed of locked doors and baying hounds, rooms that were night-dark and a beast-king that smiled and laughed around a mouthful of broken stars to sing one phrase over an
Rebekah
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review found at: www.awesomebooknut.com

This is a stunning captivation of an Indian folklore. Indian as in South Asia India. Throw in a bit of Greek mythology and you have an absolutely stunning novel. This book beautiful imagery with captivating storytelling that will keep you hooked to the book. I will admit that I first it took me about 60 pages to completely grab me but that I think was due to outside distraction not because of the book itself.

This is a story about a princess desirous to be s
Nastassja
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of fairytales

Actual rating: 3.7 stars

“It’s bad to be a dragon.”
“Says who? Nothing wrong with a little bit of viciousness. Would you rather be a dove or a dragon?”

Good question, right? What would your answer be? A Dove or a Dragon? A master of your fate or a marionette? This is the very first thing I liked about this book: it gives you wisdom you want to absorb - a special kind of magic you can reach only in the process of reading the story and recognizing it. Yes, recognizing, because this story is not only

• Rise (Order of the Krigers, #1)
  • Serpentine (Serpentine, #1)
  • The Epic Crush of Genie Lo (The Epic Crush of Genie Lo #1)
  • Thorne (The Chronicles of Kaya, #2)
  • The Forbidden Wish
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • Sorrow's Knot
  • Tell the Wind and Fire
  • Sword and Verse (Sword and Verse, #1)
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • The Elementalists
  • Sword of Deaths (The Scythe Wielder's Secret Book 2)
  • The Lovely and the Lost (The Dispossessed, #2)
  • The Night Itself (The Name of the Blade, #1)
  • Threats of Sky and Sea (Threats of Sky and Sea, #1)
  • A Study in Ashes (The Baskerville Affair, #3)
  • The Beast (The Hunter Legends, #1)
  • Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
Roshani Chokshi is the New York Times bestselling author of The Star-Touched Queen and A CROWN OF WISHES. Her middle grade debut, ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME, released April 3, 2018 from Disney/Rick Riordan Presents. The sequel, ARU SHAH AND THE SONG OF DEATH is slated to release April 30, 2019. Her next young adult novel, THE GILDED WOLVES, is slated for January 15, 2019. Chokshi's work has appe ...more

The Star-Touched Queen (2 books)
  • A Crown of Wishes (The Star-Touched Queen, #2)
“I know your soul. Everything else is just an ornament.” 167 likes
“I love you," he murmured into my hair. "You are my night and stars, the fate I would fix myself to in any life.” 130 likes