Start by marking “The Ceres Solution” as Want to Read:
The Ceres Solution

The Ceres Solution

Cover artist: A. Pedro
Mass Market Paperback, 237 pages
Published 1983 by Granada (first published January 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about The Ceres Solution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ceres Solution

Start your review of The Ceres Solution
Metaphorosis
3 stars - Metaphorosis Reviews

A handicapped boy sees a woman disappear. The young woman is an observer from another human planet, where people live for centuries, and teleportation is a matter of course. Eventually, they meet, and both learn secrets about their worlds.

Bob Shaw's greatest strength is in his ability to humanize his characters - to make them both engaging and appealing, and to focus the story more on them than on the grand events in the background. In The Ceres Solution, he fails
Warren Rochelle
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book I have read and reread several times over the years and each time, i find it as beautiful as before: human civilizations spread across a hundred light years, and most of these humans with lifespans of around 600 or so years. Except for the humans of Earth, and except for the humans of Mollan. Earth: three score and ten, and Mollan, about 5000 years. What did we do wrong? Why us? The discovery of what happened, and the consequences, told in the stories of Gretana, a Mollanian observer, and ...more
Sam Arnold
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having been impressed with a couple other Bob Shaw books, I was excited to devour this one and was not disappointed. It immediately draws you in with protagonists that have well-conceived inner drives, and then starts its brisk but convincing world-building from there, setting up some great payoffs including what exactly the title of the book means.

A nearly post-apocalyptic earth and a stagnantly advanced alien world are given crisscrossing expositions in the beginning of the novel until the
Rob Markley
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Good value if perhaps a little dated - but was very impressed by Shaw's Scifi
Thomas
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Bob Shaw is an acquired taste. In some ways his New Wave style doesn't quite work, but he does always manage to throw interesting characters into a strange world. Strangely, it is all sort of hung together by a little science and a little psychology and a dollop of sociology. I agree with those who say this is one of his best.
Ajeje Brazov
Terzo romanzo che leggo di Shaw, dopo "Il cieco del non-spazio" e "Un milione di domani", due ottimi racconti, che soprattutto mi avevano sbalordito per ciò che veniva narrato e per gli spunti riflessivi che alla fine mi avevano lasciato.
Questo, "Luna, maledetta luna!", parte con i migliori auspici e fino a tre quarti di libro, si stava incamminando vicino alle 5 stelle, ma poi, purtroppo, la parte finale mi è risultata un po' troppo banale, troppi dialoghi, alcuni addirittura quasi inutili, un
Jonathan Palfrey
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is my favourite book by Bob Shaw, though I haven't read many of them. It's an original and ingenious concept and plot, with a most unusual crippled and bad-tempered hero who comes over as real.

It also contains the Mollanians, who are human but somewhat different from us. They're less real to me, I don't find them entirely convincing; but I suppose it would be hard to describe such people convincingly.

Not one of the great big novels of sf, it's an enjoyable short novel that takes you briskly
Andrew Coombes
Jun 01, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was an enjoyable book, very much in the classic Bob Shaw style: someone has/discovers an Earth/Universe-changing secret, someone else has a vested interest in making sure that the secret doesn't get widely known and a palaver ensues....

The characters seem to be nicely fleshed out - they have realistic problems (within the context of the book), and their drives and motivations seem consistent with what we know about them.
Liz
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
An interesting concept. An alien meets a young boy with multiple peripheral neuritis. They meet again twenty years later, when the moon is about to blown up into smithereens.

The writing style, in my opinion, is quite average, but the premise was good. An enjoyable book, if a bit on the dull side for me.
Peter Hiller
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ceres solution is a book that I'd never heard of before, but picked up on a whim. I found it to be enjoyable and complete. It took the facts that it assumed were true and just ran with them. It is strange to read because it is in a very different style to modern sci-fi. But it was still fascinating and worth the time.
Otherwyrld
Dec 27, 2016
Chuck Manson
May 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Air Logic (Elemental Logic, #4)
  • Claude Before Time and Space: Poems
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
  • xo Orpheus: Fifty New Myths
  • American Hippo (River of Teeth, #1-2)
  • Final Decision
  • The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle #4)
Bob Shaw was born in Northern Ireland. After working in structural engineering, industrial public relations, and journalism he became a full time science fiction writer in 1975.

Shaw was noted for his originality and wit. He was two-time recipient (in 1979 and 1980) of the Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer. His short story Light of Other Days was a Hugo Award nominee in 1967, as was his novel The