Start by marking “Masterminds (Retrieval Artist, #15)” as Want to Read:
Masterminds (Retrieval Artist, #15)

Masterminds

(Retrieval Artist #15)

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  195 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
The fate of the Alliance hangs in the balance as the masterminds behind the Anniversary Day bombings trigger the final stages of a plan decades in the making. A plan that will bring about the total destruction of every dome on the Moon.

As Moon Security Chief Noelle DeRicci struggles with the overwhelming scope of the investigation, Retrieval Artist Miles Flint races to sa
Published June 9th 2015 by WMG Publishing, Inc. (first published June 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Masterminds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Masterminds

Denise
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rounding up. Very satisfying end to a long series. Rusch does a great job with intricate plotting. Sentences aren't complex at all but characters and world are well drawn!
Carol
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is touted to be the last book in the Anniversay day series which I have been reading avidly over many years. It was a good ending tying up the plot but like all good stories left the reader wanting more. Hopefully there will be so we can know what the future holds for Miles Talia Nyquist and others. Well done ms Rusch. A series that I truly loved
Gregoire
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, owned, sf
j'ai adoré les premiers tomes avec Miles Flint et le climat généré par les aliens, les interrogations sur les lois etc
les épisodes de The anniversary day sont beaucoup plus dilués (l'écriture moins soignée) et moins poignants (malgré le nombre astronomique de morts) mais je reconnais que l'auteure a su dans ce dernier tome tisser les différents fils entre ses principaux protagonistes en une toile solide pour conclure la série même si je regrette que les motivations des terroristes infiltrés à t
Carly Kirk
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Satisfying!

Very satisfying tying up (and together) all the many threads that made up the Anniversary Day Saga! Can't wait for more stories within the Retrieval Artist series and I'm planning on checking out more books by Rusch written under her various pen names.
Jamie
Oct 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great ending to a great series. Best sci-fi epic!
Mervi
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a great and satisfactory ending to the series.
Kris Sellgren
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Masterminds is the eighth and final novel in the SF Anniversary Day saga. It is an exciting and thoroughly satisfying conclusion to a series so gripping that I read the entire thing non-stop, with breaks only for food and sleep. Master storyteller Rusch follows the threads of many disparate lives throughout the series, each tied to another piece of the puzzle that Masterminds finally solves in a breathtaking way. The suspense is high throughout the series, with its betrayals and twists, and it b ...more
Anissa
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of the series
I can't believe I've read the last in this series. This one was quite the tense read and I wasn't sure at all of the survival Miles, Noelle, Nyquist, Talia or the domes. Happily, the complaint I had for the two books prior to this (that they were glacial until about halfway through) was not present this time. I won't spoil but this was a great tie up to the story and I still feel like there's room enough for more stories in this universe. I'm a little sad it's over but I enjoyed the read. Recomm ...more
Alain Normand
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
After painfully getting through the previous four books, this one finally returns to the pace and suspense I was used to in the early part of the Disappeared series.
Only four stars because there are too many characters and too many side stories making it difficult to follow. Plus a last minute almost miraculous save makes it a bit unrealistic.
Bob Cutler
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf
Finally, the Anniversary series concludes! Nicely wrapped up - but it was a long slog getting here - a minor quibble. I read everything Rusch writes including her mystery/detective novels (written as Kris Nelscott).
Marion Hill
Feb 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Masterminds is the eighth and final book of the Anniversary Day Saga in the Retrieval Artist Series by Kristine Kathryn Rusch. All the threads of the previous seven books in the saga finally comes together as we find out who is the mastermind behind the Anniversary Day Bombings on the Moon’s colony of Armstrong. You will have read it for yourself to find out who that person is and make sure you begin with Anniversary Day, the first book of the saga, and continue with the rest of the books before ...more
Karen A. Wyle
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I have two different assessments to this book, as an installment of the Anniversary Day saga and as its culmination.

As an installment, I liked the book very much. Down-to-the-wire suspense is difficult to do well, and Rusch does it well, in general and here. Multiple character threads come together, and as we learn more about some characters who earlier appeared peripheral, we in some cases will like them more as well.

As a culmination of this saga-within-a-series, I find the book not quite as s
Angie Boyter
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Whew! Quite an accomplishment!
Highly recommend this, but you should read all the volumes close together in order to keep things straight. It could use a cast of characters; you can't even use the Search function on the Kindle, because the character whose background you are trying to remember may have appeared in an earlier book.
Flaws:
Plot--Clones are a bit factor, and a number of factors in the clone issue had some problems.The legal status of clones was hard for both me and David to find cred
Craig Cote
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great science fiction is often a lens for viewing philosophical or moral dilemmas, with "The Cold Equations" being a canonical example.

The original Retrieval Artist novel tackled just such a dilemma and the subsequent books often shared the same core. The Anniversary Day saga takes that problem and makes it one of several competing-yet-intertwined issues -- making for a very complicated, and therefore very REAL philosophical stew.

Then Rusch throws in complicated characters, mixed timelines, seat
Samuel Lubell
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, sf
This conclusion to the Anniversary Day subseries in the Retrieval Artist series is flawed and uneven, but still worth reading as the climax to an eight-book long series. I still feel the eight books could have been condensed as some read more like character notes and whole sections seem irrelevant to the mystery or much longer than needed to provide the necessary clue.

See my full review at http://www.sfrevu.com/php/Review-id.p...
Melissa Railey
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series. I think it might be my absolute favorite science fiction series out there. Rusch is a master of suspense and world building. I care for all the characters in her novels and fear for their safety as Rusch doesn't keep all her characters alive. Major characters die. If you're looking for a great science fiction series, I recommend The Retrieval Artist wholeheartedly.
James
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fast paced conclusion to the Saga. Really enjoyed all the characters coming together. Having 1 book a month was like having a wish granted, all the times I finished a great book that was part of a series an I would be so at a loss thinking" it'll be a year or more before the next book". Great book, great series, great narrator, can't say enough!!!
Rain
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Breathtaking speed of a photo finish across the line, with the "cast of thousands" all living happily ever after, and a good time was had by all. The whole Anniversary Day saga could have been condensed down to 3 or 4 books, but despite that quibble, a lot of fun :-)
Lois
This was worth the wait. I can easily see more books dealing with the fallout from this series. I hope we get to keep up.at least peripherally with Gomez and her team which should include another alliance favorite of mine. Well done!
Ryan Williams
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow, wow, great end to the saga! After being immersed in the series it's going to be strange to read something else!
Bonnie
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Last book in a series. Very good series. Very fast read because it was hard to put down
Nancy
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nail-biter. An excellent ending to an almost unwieldy threads of action.
Dallas Traina
Rhoda
Jul 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
the whole "obeying alien laws" issue 1 3 Jun 12, 2015 02:05AM
  • Probability Sun (Probability, #2)
  • The Radiant Seas (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #4)
  • The Serrano Succession (The Serrano Legacy, #6-7)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
  • Imperfect Sword (The Lost Stars, #3)
  • The Road of Danger (Lt. Leary, #9)
  • Voices of Hope (Seafort Saga, #5)
  • Depth
  • Liaden Unibus II (Adventures in the Liaden Universe #7-12)
  • Borders of Infinity (Vorkosigan Saga [Publication] #5.1-5.3)
  • Guardian of the Gauntlet
  • Storm from the Shadows (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #2)
  • The Braided Path
Kristine Kathryn Rusch is an award-winning mystery, romance, science fiction, and fantasy writer. She has written many novels under various names, including Kristine Grayson for romance, and Kris Nelscott for mystery. Her novels have made the bestseller lists –even in London– and have been published in 14 countries and 13 different languages.

Her awards range from the Ellery Queen Readers Choice Aw

Retrieval Artist (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Disappeared (Retrieval Artist, #1)
  • Extremes (Retrieval Artist, #2)
  • Consequences (Retrieval Artist, #3)
  • Buried Deep (Retrieval Artist, #4)
  • Paloma (Retrieval Artist, #5)
  • Recovery Man (Retrieval Artist, #6)
  • Duplicate Effort (Retrieval Artist, #7)
  • Anniversary Day (Retrieval Artist, #8)
  • Blowback (Retrieval Artist, #9)
  • A Murder of Clones: A Retrieval Artist Short Novel