Start by marking “Dream with Your Eyes Open: An Entrepreneurial Journey” as Want to Read:
Dream with Your Eyes Open: An Entrepreneurial Journey

Dream with Your Eyes Open: An Entrepreneurial Journey

In Dream With Your Eyes Open, first-generation entrepreneur and UTV-founder Ronnie Screwvala details his vast experiences and the myriad lessons learnt from more than two decades of building some successful (and some not-so-successful) businesses, bringing clarity to a quickly changing business landscape and making an impassioned case for the role of entrepreneurship in ...more
Published 2015 by Rupa Publications

To ask other readers questions about Dream with Your Eyes Open, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream with Your Eyes Open

Start your review of Dream with Your Eyes Open: An Entrepreneurial Journey
Ujjawal Sureka
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Publication Date: April 2015

Great insights has been given by Mr. Ronnie Screwvala regarding being an entrepreneur and the struggles that are associated with it. Also this book shows that success is not an overnight event, rather it is consistent effort and capturing opportunities.
Priya Florence
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Growing up in the Bombay of the 70’s, I remember Ronnie Screwvala from his days as a theatre personality in Bombay. I recall seeing the ads for The Wiz, a production of his theatre company, Lazer Productions, in the newspapers of that time. From playing Cassio in Othello to starting UTV, I knew nothing of his journey, until I started reading his new book, Dream With Your Eyes Open.

His book gives us both, a glimpse into his journey of entrepreneurship, and an insight into Ronnie Screwvala, the
Girish
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
“I am too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.”

Not long ago, a friend of mine and I were discussing why Entrepreneurs write autobiographies. From additional revenues to brand building to yet another venture - we covered quite a few possibilities. Ronnie Screwvala writes the book with a new view of 'teaching' and 'inspiring' aspiring entrepreneurs. Like that ever works!

Having gotten that out of the way, I think this is one of the more grounded books that deals as much with
Anil Swarup
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
"Charm for me is the ability to persuade with your tone, your willingness to be inclusive in your engagement with every one in the room or on the call, and your knack for being clear and articulate with your message". This sums up the essence of the book. What to say and how to say is the key to success, Coming from a successful entrepreneur, one would totally agree with what he says. The ease with which the author managed to "plan for failure" and "embrace(d) failure" and yet succeeded is a ...more
Tripti Saini
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
One thing I would like to mention here is the way Mr. Ronnie used the word "We" instead of "I" in the book while referring the journey of UTV. I appreciate the way he gives credit to his team. He has written a very nice book which lets one have a instance of the path of entrepreneurship. Thanks!
amit deshpande
A perfect “Management” book with precise agenda. Feels like attending two days workshop - great opening lines for each topic and accurate summary at the end.

Our guy came from “lower-middle-class-we weren’t wealthy” background from Grant Road of Mumbai (Bombay back then) and eventually moved to Breach Candy as permanent resident. On this journey, in his early twenties he went to UK for better study of front-of-television anchoring when his father was M.D., mind it Managing Director, of J. L.
shehzad irani
Ronnie Screwvala has been a household name for parsis from Balaram street. Sharp, Suave, Savvy, athletic, married a parsi to boot ;) his story inspires, guides and continues to trail-blaze even after the ink dried on his contract with Disney.
But if you are looking for Lee Iacocca or Malcolm Gladwell kinda inspiration, this is not it. He labours through the book, swinging between polite recounts of his personal experiences, giving little away of his caustic wit (that he's famous for) and to
Praveena D.M.
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Book is complete journey of Ronnie who is first generation entrepreneur. In every industry he started, he was an outsider but still managed success.

Personally, I had expected lot of anecdotes from Ronnie's journey but Ronnie gave lot of gyan which I feel unnecessary. And also, I expected missed opportunities like gangs of wasseypur etc. I always read books by guys who done it and wrote about it instead of those university professor type who study industry and come up with their own conclusions.
Mohd Adnan
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
a true entrepreneurial journey....detailing about his success through roads of failure. Mr. screwvala shared his experience about his journey from starting a toothbrush company to UTV production, giving advice how to make best decision when you face business problem.

p.s : A must read book if you want to start your own business.
Anantha Narayanan
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must listen for the would be entrepreneurs. Ronnie is more than experienced in the business of things. More mature advice.
Aditya
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genuinely intriguing to read stories of companies that have grown in front of you. For an outsider to build a corporate studio in India is really a big deal. It was great fun reading this. Its more of a chronological narrative which sometimes gets a bit monotonous, but never the less its nice to read about failures and how they turned it around.

Worth a read if you are into business biographies.
Manny
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Too much of "Gyaan" while Ronnie describes his journey. Most of the chapters are around themes (e.g. failure) and he brings out several anecdotes across his entrepreneurial journey to illustrate the same. Some portions are quite pragmatic and practical advise but overall the structure was quite confusing.
Would rather that someone make a TED version which I can then watch in 20 min.
Bulbul
Mar 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Mediocre book which does not cover Ronnie's entire career. The advice is more gyaan than practical and I don't know how helpful it is.
Quick read. I finished it in a few hours.
Atul
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super read. One of the best books on entrepreneurship I've read
Abhilash Ruhela
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
There is nothing special than reading an autobiography by one of the many successful Indian men who did it without any complaints or excuses. We generally get excited knowing about the successes of the individuals in western part of the world but forget to appreciate the people doing well against all odds living and breathing around us. One such man is Ronnie Screwvala who is a wonderful example of how to be an entrepreneur and a success story. He has written his own tale of success and failures ...more
Tathagat Varma
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We live in the golden age of #entrepreneurship. There is lots of know-how on how to go about it, there is enough funding (most often, funding is not an issue, and if the #idea is well designed and comprehensively validated, funding is never the real issue), and of course - there is no real dearth of quality problems, most certainly in India! So, why do then most #startups bite the dust within a couple years of their grand start? Why #founders start thinking of "exit" even before building ...more
Naina Rajput
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is the Entrepreneurial journey of Ronnie Screwvala.
He detailed his best to worst experiences and the lessons learnt in his life in his entrepreneurial journey.
The first few chapters are his early days of sweeping into the communication and the entertainment industry. How the various movies and the ventures started uplifting the game. The lessons he learnt from the two decades of building his successful business and India's future in entrepreneurship.

This books feel like a guide to
Harsh Ankur
Dec 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I was really excited when I started to read this book. It felt like I am getting an opportunity to dive deep into the life of a self-made entrepreneur and how he created a niche for himself in those difficult-to-get-funded times. Little did I know that his father was the MD in a big company and that he was from the privileged class. Not just that, he seemed too proud of how he created a space for himself without acknowledging that he had that cushion to fall onto incase anything bad happened. ...more
Mohan Narayanan
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Absolute beauty.. insanely great..!!!

while we are busy appreciating the gates, jobs, Zuckerbergs and the likes, there is this man, who from our vary own backyard built something of unimaginable scale and depth.

There is a letter in this book written to Ronnie by one of his colleagues. it says"You make everything look so simple ronnie".He for the same in this book. His journey brings u up with so much confidence but late when you think about it, the sheer scale of the journey he had and things he
Anirudh Jain
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most prosaic and practical books I have read in a long time. This book tells the story of a media maverick who changed the way in which Indians consumed television. A visionary who was far ahead of his time, he predicted trends like home shopping before they were a rage. All this comes from a man with humble background.
This book is filled with practical explanations on how to be a leader, the importance of clear communication and many more wisdom nuggets.
Highly recommended to
Supertramp
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
#181

This is my first audio book. As an avid podcast listener I indulged myself into something similar genre and found it interesting. As the narration has been given by the author himself it really doesn't sound like a book. Just like another podcast of his journey.

Even the later half of the book is more about preaching and giving more moral suggestions and advises than insights into the author's business world. Could have been much better if it has more meaningful strategies in the second half
Pradeep Mohandas
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I listened to an interview with Ronnie Screwvala on the podcast episode of The Filter Koffee podcast. Screwvala is the founder of UTV which he sold to Walt Disney. Among movies, he's the producer of Rang De Basanti.

In the book, he shares stories about his entrepreneurial journey. He shares why he believes the next generation of entrepreneurs are the answer to most of the problems that plague India. He shares that dreaming big, not believing in luck and working hard is the key to entrepreneurs to
L. Nelson
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truely aspiring and motivating. Recommended for the upcoming entrepreneurs of the country.

In this book, Ronnie Screwvala has given very beautiful insights which can be related to the everyday struggles of an entrepreneur. This book gives us inner strength to go through the struggles with a clear mind, focus and determination. His trusts and beliefs n the country's energetic and passionate youth to take the helm of the country's development and steer it into a bright future is mind blowing.
Amit Ghule
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, unintentionally inspiring.

The thing with biographies is that they are essentially too preachy or didactic as they chronologically outline how since childhood the person was (insert defining trait).
By not taking this book chronologically, Ronnie focuses on certain aspects or approaches giving examples through his life together. Combine that with the fact that his examples are lesser known instances and unbiased retellings (for the most part) with real life entities. This gives huge
SWAROOP CHOUGULE
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
'Dream with your eyes open' is the book about entrepreneurial journey of Ronnie Screwvala. Ronnie being the first generation entrepreneur and starting in 1970s explains his experiences beautifully. From setting up a toothbrush business to founding UTV and finally selling it to Disney. He explains the perils and joys, and most importantly how to keep going from one failure to another and never leaving the course. Though personally, I think he hasn't touched the bureaucratic problems while doing ...more
Sai Prasad
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is about entrepreneurial journey of Mumbai based Ronnie screwvala.That doesn't make this book only for entrepreneurs. It's for everybody who is pursuing their passion. Author talks about setbacks,opportunities, importance of leadership and communication and perseverance. Reading this book might help someone who has faced a setback and finding it difficult to cope. It will help to stay on course. It reassures faith in you to overcome constraints, failures. Icing on the cake is sneak ...more
Pratik
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
An amazing book to get a good peep into how the 1st gen entrepreneur made it big into the industries which seem so daunting from outside. A very inspirational read with intriguing anecdotes from his own life.

A must read for anyone looking to start-up or plans to do something big in his/her life. It has helped me realign my priorities and work towards some goals which were dithering away.
Abhishek Behera
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really good autobiography/self-help book. It really gives you helpful lessons that we can imply daily in our lives. Lets you think like a proactive, take control and improve/implement better decisions in your life and your business. Best to read it after college... when you have least control over your life.
Siddharth
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Would give 4.5 stars if I could.
A pretty good book. I've been studying a bit about entrepreneurship and this book managed to keep me interested enough to read till the end line. Although at some places it did slow down a little bit, overall, I loved how he explains his amazing journey as an entrepreneur, it adds to the merits of the book that the author actually knows what he's talking about.
Nakul
A deeply personal look into Ronnie's life - which has been interesting and inspiring to say the least. It suffers from what most autobiographies suffer, that it is not a complete picture, only their version of the tale. But just that peek into Ronnie's ventures and his approach and philosophy is enough.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Extraordinary Leadership
  • Upstanders: Season 2: A Starbucks Original Series
  • The Golden Tap: The Inside Story of Hyper-Funded Indian Startups
  • Recession Proof Graduate: How to Land the Job You Want by Doing Free Work
  • It Happened In India: The Story of Pantaloons, Big Bazaar, Central and the Great Indian Consumer
  • 13 Steps to Bloody Good Luck
  • How to take decisions (Management Sutras)
  • The Dark Web
  • Super Pumped: The Battle for Uber
  • Catalyst: The ultimate strategies on how to win at work and in life
  • The Free Voice: On Democracy, Culture and the Nation
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
“I am too busy working on my own grass to notice if yours is greener.” 2 likes