Start by marking “First Impressions” as Want to Read:
First Impressions

First Impressions

(Edenton)

A contemporary novel of romance and renewal from perennial bestseller Jude Deveraux, First Impressions is an emotionally charged story of one woman's bid to start over.

Eden Palmer knows how to make it on her own. The forty-something single mother has worked hard to raise her beloved daughter, but sooner or later a woman must come into her own, and that's what Eden tries to do when she moves tover.

Eden
Published August 1st 2006 by Pocket Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about First Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Impressions

Denise
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
First Impressions by Jude Deveraux is a light read. I did not really become engaged with the characters and thought much of the plot unrealistic. 2.5 stars
Mel W
This was my first Jude Deveraux book and to be honest it will probably be my last. I only finished because I was reading it for a challenge. Put it down numerous times and really had to make myself pick it up again to continue reading. This will be going straight into the box for the second hand bookstore.
LOUISE FIELDER
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
An entertaining novel of romance and mystery.
The charcters are well defined and the story revolves around an old country manor house in North Carolina.
Deprived of love as a child and finding herself pregnant at seventeen Eden is turned out of her home.
Taken in by a Lady of the Manor Eden manages to raise her child in relative comfort until tragic events once more force her to flee her new home.
When the old lady dies and leaves everything to Eden the mystery of the place b
Kate
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
It was a fun and quick beach read, which I really needed between some of the bigger books that I had been reading.

The relationship between Eden and Braddon was really odd to me. I couldn't figure out what she really saw in him beyond him being the stereotypical idea of having a perfect little life in the traditional town. It didn't seem to make sense compared to how Eden was described during the rest of her life.

The mother/daughter relationship was one of the very interes
SheriC (PM)
This miserable book started out with 32 pages of exposition, setting up a ludicrous situation with two dimensional characters, served with steaming piles of cliché. It only got worse in the second chapter. I gave this my minimum 50 pages and DNF'd on page 56 upon reading this from the main love interest's POV: "The women he liked were very understanding and tolerant of what he did for a living, but none of them were cooks. It seemed to be a law of life that women who took their clothes off for a ...more
Christy
Jan 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
I had a hard time getting through this book. There wasn't anything about it that made me want to keep reading it. I did because I was curious about the mystery, but other than that it was pretty weak. Not one that I would read again, and makes me question whether or not I would want to read another book by Deveraux.
Evelyn Wilson
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook-books-read
If you read First Impressions then you must read Wild Orchids because there is a connection. I can't believe I didn't write a review before, that was a mistake. Anyway, Eden is wonderful and learns so much when she moves to North Carolina. Didn't town name but the same town as in Wild Orchids.
Esther
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
bookczuk
A little romantic escapism set in a fictional North CArolina town. I did like the bits about gardening. Little to recommend it otherwise, IMHO.

From the Publisher

Eden Palmer knows how to make it on her own. This forty-five year-old single mother has worked hard to raise her beloved daughter. Meli
Desiderious Roterodamus
Jan 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
Some of the worst writing I've read recently. Truly, I barely managed to keep picking it up over the months and haven't been able to finish it because it's that bad. Today, a few hundred pages in, I have to throw in the towel and put this miserable book down for once and for all

Let's go over the major failures of the book so far

1)The plot is conceived in the StUPidEst most random, sudden way. I honestly have to laugh the way Deveraux introduces the conflict. Which goes li
Moira Fogarty
Jul 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Not her best work but I enjoyed it nevertheless because I am a sucker for the simple way Jude Devereaux spins tales. I think the problem here was that her love of "big fish" stories got away from her and when she hit a logical fork in the narrative she eschewed decision making and tried to walk down both paths. 'The mystery is about... a spy! No, a necklace! No, paintings!' 'The love interest is... a workaholic FBI agent! No, a rich garden loving American aristocrat!' As usual, the heroine is a ...more
Kelly
Oct 02, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This novel did not make a good first impression and unfortunately it didn't improve any.

The characters were flat and uninteresting. I didn't relate to Eden or champion her in any way and I couldn't really have cared less about her love triangle.

The pacing of the main plot was interrupted constantly by chapters or paragraphs harping back to the good old days. While the context was required to explain elements of the main plot, I just felt there could have been a more lively and inter
Kim
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love her characters. I liked the twists and turns in this book. I couldn't predict the end. But I am glad the one I liked won the girl in the end. I also liked the older character drawing on the experience to make the life changing decisions we all run into on a regular basis.
Brandy
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved loved this book!! Fantastic storyline! Highly recommend!
Janice
Dec 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Completely enjoyable romance/mystery. Surprise ending!
Kathy
Jul 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Liba
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eden (45) is a self-made book editor. She was raped at 17 by a prominent member of her church.Her parents threw her out when she became pregnant. Eden landed in Arundel ,North Carolina and got help from Alice Farrington. But 5 years later Eden and her daughter Melissa had to leave..
Now Melissa is married to Stuart ,living with Eden in New York, and expecting her first child.
Alice dies and leaves her house to Eden. So Eden moves to NC and meets the local lawyer, Braddon
(Brad ) Granville, a wid
Cindy
Jul 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Louise Pledge
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Upon finishing this, I read the review on the back cover which mentioned "the surprise ending". I wracked my brain for at least ten minutes trying to think what the surprise ending was. After all, I had just READ the ending! While nothing was a surprise, the ending did seem rather sudden and forced. That said, I hate comparing an author to herself, rather than to other authors, but this just did not feel like a Jude Deveraux book! I had to make myself keep reading to the end.

Also, th
Anne
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read it, and it was okay. I more or less liked the story, but the woman droned on and on and it took a lot of energy not to skip sections of self-analysis. I wasn't a fan of the ending chapters where she chooses between the two men, and it's not clear why she picked one over the other. Maybe I missed a lot in her eternal rantings about herself. Meh. If you happen to like romantic mysteries, this would be okay to read.
This was my second read of this author, the first one being Ever After,
Maria
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual in a Deveraux book, it gets off to a roaring start and involves the reader right away. I was a bit confused as to who the romantic hero was going to end up being and worried that one of the two men Eden was interested in would turn out not only to not be the hero but the villain, because I really liked them both. The book is packed with drama and keeps you spinning from one situation to another so I didn't bother to put it down until I had finished.
Lisa Girodat
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite Jude Deveraux I “read” it as an audiobook and maybe the fact that the reader sounded the Minnie Mouse’s grandmother was off setting. And why do authors write 40 & 50 something characters as they are “old”?
Tanya Procknow
Sep 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Think I've read it before.
Debbie Tanguay
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
ok unrealistic women inherits house
Edie
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love Jude Deveraux books and this Romance-Mystery was delightful! Loved the characters, the setting of Arundel, the story line and that shocking ending! Highly recommend this read!
Heather
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great book with several interesting characters and mysteries to be solved.
Alyssa Copeland
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Jude Deveraux. I couldn't put it down. I love books when I can't predict the mystery and it has a surprise ending.
JEANMARIE MATHEUS
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting

The story line was good but a bit difficult to follow.
I think that given more knowledge about the history would have been a bit better.
Sheila Cohen
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Good romantic suspense novel. Quick, easy read.
ksstannard
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deveraux always delivers

I love the way Jude switched from one era to another in her novels. First Impression is a modern delight.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Bride Hunt (Matchmaker Duncan Sisters, #2)
  • Suspicious: Partners / The Art of Deception / Night Moves
  • Coast Road / Three Wishes
  • Crown Jewel
  • Seducing Mr. Right
  • Lady Robyn (Knight Errant #2)
  • The Pursuit (Sherring Cross, #3)
  • Outlaw's Bride
  • Gone With the Nerd (Nerds, #4)
  • Surrender To Love
  • The Bad Luck Wedding Night (Bad Luck Abroad, #3)
  • Finding Mr. Right
  • Bride for a Night
  • Becky: The Life and Loves of Becky Thatcher
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published