Start by marking “Menschsein (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)” as Want to Read:
Menschsein (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)

Menschsein

(Star Trek: New Frontier #12)

Der Pilot Mark McHenry hat immer wieder Fähigkeiten an den Tag gelegt, die weit über das Leistungsvermögen eines bloß merkwürdig erscheinenden Menschen wie ihm hinausgehen. Als die Bewohner eines harmlosen Sonnensystems sich einer Bedrohung gegenübersehen, die mit der Quelle von McHenrys Kräften in Verbindung steht, wird seine wahre Herkunft endlich enthüllt.

Währenddessen
Published November 10th 2014 by Cross Cult (first published November 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Menschsein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Menschsein

Start your review of Menschsein (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)
Bernard
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrekkin
It's been a while (yikes, 10 years!) but I finally revisited the New Frontier universe, created by Peter David as a literature-only off shoot of The Next Generation-era crew. Throughout the series, David has been dropping unusual details in the previous installments of this series about one of the bridge crew and this book attempts to finally explain them. Guest starring "the Beings" first seen in an Original Series episode was pure fan service but still fun. I had forgotten how puerile these st ...more
Wayland Smith
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of more interesting supporting characters in the New Frontier series has been helmsman Mark McHenry. He can sense when the ship changes course, even while seemingly dozing at his duty station. Now, we finally learn what his story is, and it even connects back to a story from the original tv series.

The Excalibur gets sent to investigate strange energy readings in a remote sector of space. Meanwhile, Shelby and her crew on the Trident deal with a new development with the powers that be in the
David H.
As has been common in Star Trek: New Frontier, we end on a cliffhanger, but this time with nothing resolved. (At least with the earlier The Quiet Place/Dark Allies, we got some plots resolved in the first volume, and the Excalibur trilogy had individual plots that resolved.)

This was a fun look at Mark McHenry, whose humanity ended up being questioned in Requiem and is at least one small subplot that's resolved in this book. We get a pretty neat callback to the Star Trek original series episode "
David
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Another excellent ST novel from Peter David!
rivka
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

One of the better entries in this series.
David Palazzolo
Mar 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek: The New Frontier: Being Human is the 12th New Frontier book in ordinary time and the 18th chapter in what I like to call Star Trek: The Prime-Time Soap. In fact--to continue that analogy--given the number of cliffhangers, I would venture that this novel constitutes the second season finale ("season 1" ended with the destruction of the Excalibur in book 8).

Being Human is fast paced and reaches back all the way to the original TV series episode "Who Mourns for Adonais?" featuring a bein
***Dave Hill
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek fans who want ties to the TV series but the chance to see characters actually change
Shelves: text
The 13th in Peter David's "Star Trek: New Frontier" series finally delves into the mysteries around long-time character Mark McHenry (who actually goes back to David's earlier "Star Fleet Academy" children's series). And, in true David fashion, he manages to tie it neatly into pre-existing ST mythos. Nicely done.

Meanwhile, Si Cwan and his sister get an offer they can't refuse from the Danteri, and another long-time character in the series dies in a space battle.

In some ways the action here is al
Sean Randall
"And if we happened to be a literature-appreciation circle, I would be extremely pleased with the direction in which things are going. However, what with this being a starship and all, I'd be far more pleased if we could actually accomplish our mission."

So here we see our intrepid heroes thrust up against the almighty. Or as almighty as you get in space, anyway. the mystery of Mchenry is finally explained at least.

"Since I do not wish you to do anything about it, the response of 'no' is relative
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Peter David is an excellent storyteller, although at times a less excellent wordsmith. This installment in the New Frontier saga was no exception in either case. His flavor is uniquely bold and satisfying within the realm of Star Trek. The true strength here is character...his cast continues to develop along fascinating lines both individually and as a unit. The addition of a second starship to the mix offers yet more such opportunities. David's own characters blend astonishingly well with those ...more
Kerry
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Why stop the Peter David when I'm on a roll? This one's important as the new comic series references events in here. A decent sequel to an old ST:TOS episode, although it ends on a cliffhanger... ...more
'Nathan Burgoine
We finally get to get inside the head of Mark McHenry and learn why he's the way he is. Also, Zak Kebron is starting to change - change in a way that might just leave him both more or less than he was...

Well done episode in the "New Frontier" series by Peter David.
Loki
Entertaining, but not quite up to the normal standards of the series. It's the first half of a two volume story, and noticeably the weaker for it. But even a weak New Frontier book is still pretty damned good.
Ossy
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
Battle with Greek Gods? Yeah right....
Bradley
Not bad. Fairly solid story. Trekkies I am sure would appreciate this story. =)
Shannon Appelcline
New Frontier at its best, with exciting adventure, great characters, a fun reveal regarding McHenry, and a nice callback to TOS.
Ralph
Vivian
May 09, 2014

• I, Q
  • Gauntlet
  • Reunion (Star Trek Next Generation )
  • The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Three (Star Trek: Stargazer, #3)
  • Oblivion (Star Trek: Stargazer, #4)
  • Enigma (Star Trek: Stargazer, #5)
  • Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)
  • The Missing Mage (Stoneblood Saga #2)
  • Manhattan Unfurled
  • Soron's Quest (Stoneblood Saga #0.5)
  • Siege of Pailtar (Stoneblood Saga #3)
  • Son of Soron (Stoneblood Saga #1)
  • The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes
  • Progenitor
  • Lord of the Apocalypse
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern (Cat Who..., #2)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)