Start by marking “Kalte Kriege (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)” as Want to Read:
Kalte Kriege (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)

Kalte Kriege

(Star Trek: Gateways #6)

Nachdem sie zweihunderttausend Jahre lang verschwunden waren, sind die legendären Iconianer zurück und mit ihnen das Geheimnis interdimensionaler Teleportation über große interstellare Entfernungen hinweg. Ihre uralten Portale schreiben nach ihrer erneuten Aktivierung die Karte der Galaxis neu, vor allem an der neuen Grenze …

Vor einhundert Jahren trennten die Thallonianer
Published January 27th 2014 by Cross Cult (first published October 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Kalte Kriege, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kalte Kriege

Crystal Bensley
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favourite New Frontier but still good cause it's Peter David!
David Palazzolo
Star Trek: New Frontier: Gateways book 6: Cold Wars is the 15th chapter of what I like to refer to as the Star Trek the prime-time soap. This book is also a part of the Gateways series, in which a long lost race called the Iconians have seemed to reemerge from antiquity to sell their fantastic tech to the highest bidder. Among this tech are the Gateways, a method of travel instantaneously from one point to another. The range and size of these Gateways appear nearly infinite, so this tech poses a ...more
Daniel
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The next-to-last installment in the Gateways series of Star Trek books in one of the better novels. Like the rest, it continues the narrative established in the previous books, but unlike the others, it is also the only one, aside from Challenger, that does not have a television series. Also, unlike Challenger, "Star Trek: New Frontier" continues on with additional books. Because "New Frontier" is a book-only installment in the Trek franchise, and also not canon, it is suggested that readers bec ...more
Erica
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-other
I read this book as part of the Gateways series. It was my first New Frontier book and also my first book by Peter David, and I have to say that I really liked it. I was drawn in from the very beginning and it was something about David's writing style that I just fell for. I could only describe it as him writing in such a way that I felt almost as if I was right there in the middle of it all with the characters.

The story was an interesting one, and I especially enjoyed reading the parts about th
Nathan Burgoine
I bought this because I wanted to read all the books in the New Frontier series by Peter David. And, as far as the various "Gateways" books are concerned, this was a damned good one. All that said, I don't like cliffhangers much, and hate obvious ploys to make me buy more even less: the book doesn't have an ending.

Worse, the six Gateways books all were like this - and only ended with short stories in a collected hardcover volume. Ouch. Not a very kind thing to do. Still, I nabbed this, read it,
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From a good period in the New Frontier series, Cold Wars is a nicely-written addition to the Gateways saga. It doesn't necessarily mesh well with the other stories in the series, but then again, that seems to be the hallmark of this particular miniseries. For example, the Petraw, the species behind this quadrant-wide swindle, are nowhere to be found and are not even mentioned. As far as the story itself goes, Peter David has a solid handle on his characters at this point, and Cold Wars comes acr ...more
Benjamin
Oct 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek geeks
I don't recommend reading this book first in the series...

Despite being unfamiliar with the surrounding story, many of the characters and locales, the book still brings the Star Trek universe into view. The different authors bring subtle flavoring to each of the story lines which wrap up very neatly in the end. You can't help but rank the protagonists as the story unfolds, but who was really surprised?

I rated it 3/5 because there were several spelling and grammatical errors and mostly that alth
Emilio G
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From a good period in the New Frontier series, Cold Wars is a nicely-written addition to the Gateways saga. It doesn't necessarily mesh well with the other stories in the series, but then again, that seems to be the hallmark of this particular miniseries. For example, the Petraw, the species behind this quadrant-wide swindle, are nowhere to be found and are not even metioned.
Angela
Two starships are called to neighbouring planets who have used the Gateways to make war. The crews have to stop the war somehow and get hold of the gateways. The characters are interesting, even though some times the plot is predictable. It ends on a cliffhanger, but unlike the other books in the series the main story line is finished. A good read.
Loki
Far from David's best work, but an entertaining enough installment of the New Frontiers franchise, more than a little hobbled by the necessity of serving the big crossover story (and its unresolved conclusion, which is in a short story in another volume entirely).
Mirrhya
Star Trek
John
I'm reading the entire New Frontier series (taking a break right now though). This one was REALLY good though.
David
Mar 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Shannon Appelcline
David's writing is good, but to a certain extent the book is too scattered to really love it, with the attention spread against two crews, two alien races, and the strange Iconians.
Uli Kusterer
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you've read all of New Frontier already, this is a nice way to get another episode. It's Peter David as we like him.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Gateways + Peter David + New Frontier = win.
Dustin
My least favorite of the gateways series. I read it only because it tied in with the others, and really didn't care for the main character at all.
Chris LaFata
Jared Bennett
Nov 01, 2011
Jennifer Selby Armstrong
Nov 06, 2016
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Chainmail (Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways, #2)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Avatar Book Two of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: A Time to... #7)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: A Time to... #3)
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • A Time to Be Born (Star Trek: A Time to... #1)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: Gateways (7 books)
  • One Small Step (Star Trek: Gateways, #1)
  • Chainmail (Star Trek: Challenger: Gateways, #2)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • What Lay Beyond (Star Trek: Gateways, #7)
“Running from horrors doesn't help. The only way to deal with them is to meet them head-on.” 1 likes