Start by marking “Restauration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)” as Want to Read:
Restauration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)

Restauration

(Star Trek: New Frontier #11)

Der für gewöhnlich sehr einfallsreiche Captain Mackenzie Calhoun weiß plötzlich nicht mehr ein noch aus, als er nach der Zerstörung seines Schiffes auf der unterentwickelten Wüstenwelt Yakaba ausgesetzt wird. Auf Yabakas ödem Grenzposten trifft Calhoun auf Rheela und freundet sich mit der außergewöhnlichen Frau an. Sie ist von Feinden umgeben, die sie und ihre Gabe zu kont ...more
Published November 5th 2013 by Cross Cult (first published November 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Restauration, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Restauration

Start your review of Restauration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)
Jerry
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not the best of the series. Some fun and exciting moments, but, overall, it fell flat for me.
John Barclay
Read this one out of order, but that didn't matter. A good read, with lots of interesting action, characters and atmosphere.
Villain E
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, space
What is it with sci-fi and westerns? I know, I know, "Wagon Train to the Stars" and all that. Personally, I've never been a fan of westerns so I've never been a fan of the mashup. (Yes, Firefly is the obvious exception, but google Wild West C.O.W-Boys of Moo Mesa to see the definitive sci-fi-western.) Point being, the odds were against me liking this book.

Calhoun survived the destruction of the Excalibur and crashed on a primitive world, at a developmental era, or area, similar to the old west.
Bill
Aug 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-books
3.5 Stars. One of the better books in the series
David H.
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the third and final of the Excalibur sub-trilogy, this time focusing on Elizabeth Shelby and of course, Captain Mackenzie Calhoun, who clearly did not die in the destruction of the USS Excalibur, but managed to maroon himself on a nearby planet. We also finally get a conclusion to Si Cwan and Lefler's two plots, left hanging from the previous books.

Calhoun's plot was the majority of the action in this volume, and it was basically a Western, which was fun. However, the woman that Mac hel
Michael T Bradley
So Mac's alive (shocker) & stuck in a Western on a backwater planet. I honestly just skimmed this for the most part because ... well ... there was little to no surprise to be had here. The biggest surprise is that the end to this book out-schlocked the ending to Excalibur: Renaissance, which ... flabbergasted me. With where everyone is at this point, I am kind of wondering what the hell the next New Frontier novel will be about, if anything. Two ships? An entirely new crew on the Excalibur? What ...more
Voula
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I'm liking the characters in this Star Trek New Frontier series. Just sorry I haven't been able to find any more of them, especially the earlier ones. I'd read a couple of the later books and it's good to find out how Calhoun came to adopt Moke... At any rate, it's a good read with some interesting characters and a bit of action.
David
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This series started off superb and it impossibly gets better with every book. Loved this one very much. They are not flawless, for sure, but in the broadest sense, the books in this series are tons of easy-reading fun. Love Peter David.
Irredeemable Shag
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
One of the best books in the series! Well deserving of the hardcover treatment. Really enjoyed this re-read.
Rob
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun, I really liked the old style western theme. This was a good Read.
Takiyah Dudley
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

Another chapter in the lives of the Excalibur crew. Not a bad story felt a little rushed at the end.
David Palazzolo
Star Trek: New Frontier: Excalibur: Restoration, book 11 of the New Frontier series is the third of the Excalibur trilogy-within-a-series and the 14th chapter of what I like to refer to as Star Trek: The Prime-Time Soap. This time around we focus on the now Capt. Shelby and her first months of command onboard the USS Exeter alternating with scenes on a desert planet called Yakaba, where we follow the lives of Rheela, a young single mother who has the uncanny ability to make it rain, Rheela's son ...more
Neil
Some thots while reading:

I found it hilarious that the head of security died (view spoiler).

Right now, it is shaping up to be the sci-fi version of 'High Noon', where the 'Sheriff' in town is being threatened, the woman who wants to
Chris Friend
Jan 20, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Trite, commonplace, and unimaginative, there's very little inside to redeem this book. Typically with a Star Trek book, the plot or the technology can be a saving grace. In this case, the plot is frustratingly shallow and contrived, and the technology barely makes an appearance. This also marks the first use I've seen in print of what I'll term "deus ex aliena"—the author gets to a nice, neat point where all is tension and the hero seems to have only to do one thing to make everything right with ...more
Eric Cone
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Besides the initial four-book launch, Restoration remains my favorite novel from the New Frontier series. There's a new sheriff in town (literally), in Peter David's three-book wrap-up, where we find out the fate of Calhoun (who's believed dead, after the destruction of the Excalibur, in Dark Allies). Having saved his crew, miraculously, Mac finds himself alive, but on a backward world, charged with the attempted murder of a local woman and in the town's gaol. If you like a good western, Restora ...more
Wayland Smith
One of the reasons Star Trek novels keep coming is that the Trek world is very adaptable. This one is a great example of that. Capt. Calhoun, missing since the Excalibur blew up, ends up marooned on a primitive world, and gets involved in an adventure that is part western, part fantasy.

There is a woman with a mysterious power, who is trying to protect her son. There's the local corrupt powerful rich man, and a cowed populace. All in all a good read, with Peter David's trademark humor and new twi
Julie
Sep 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Eh. Some of the stories and characters were interesting, but all in all, it seemed like a waste to have 3 books in this little series within a series. What was the point of it all? You basically end up where you began, so it's just a little sidetrip, where only a few things of consequence happen. I'm sure those things will be big players later in the series, but this seemed like an excessive way to get those few things into the overall arc.
Robert
May 08, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read it for the look at Captain Shelby's first command, which would have made a fine novella or short story.

The entire Mac Calhoun story also would've worked better if it were much shorter. It's only worth is setting up a minor (yet point-of-view) character in the following two novels.

Disclaimer: I read this as a stand-alone, skipping the previous two novels (which I simply didn't have available), and there are a couple chapters that wrap up events of the previous two books.
Kerry
Jan 02, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading the Star Trek:New Frontier series last year (well, rereading the first four, then continuing on), nice for traveling since they're paperbacks. Set within the universe we all know, but with a new crew and ship, Peter David shows a sure hand at mixing elements known and unknown, with his usual humor.
Sean Randall
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul Graham
Not as interesting as "Stone and Anvil"... in fact, I would say that the focus of this work was younger children...even with an aspect of violence in it. I found the audio book interesting, but it lacked a certain-something... an undefinable sense of 'thrill' that others do possess. Still, I recommend it.
Darrell
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book and didn't care about it the first few chapters, but as I kept reading it grabbed me and I couldn't put it down. The New Frontier books are all great and Peter David is one of the best writers that Trek has.
Cupcakencorset
I'd have given this a higher rating if only I didn't find Shelby's character so unlikeable that I don't want to read about her at all. Too bad her part of the story had to be in the same book with Calhoun's.
Ossy
Sep 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startrek
A kid who control the weather? Yeah right....
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, sci-fi
Excellent conclusion, bringing together events from the previous ten books and others in the Trek universe as well. As the series progresses, the characters develop in fascinating ways.
Chris
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book pulled a Star Trek 3 cheat but still turned out well. I can't wait to read the rest of the series
Shannon Appelcline
Enjoyable, though not as strong as the other Excalibur books. The ending almost pays that out, however.
John
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
I like it but I nead to read the other books in the series
Jermayne Chapman
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not what I expected, but still a good story. not a lot of ship to ship action, none actually. bit a good hero and good story
omiczech
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Except for the Lefler's part, this is the best NF novel so far. So funny and with few interesting twists.

• The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • I, Q
  • Reunion (Star Trek Next Generation )
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard #1)
  • Gauntlet
  • Twilight (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #1)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Fortune of War
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Encounter at Farpoint (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • How to Forget: A Daughter's Memoir
  • The Pursuit of the Pankera: A Parallel Novel About Parallel Universes
  • Born with Teeth
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek)
  • Azyl Academy (Elemental Gatherers, #1)
  • Abyss (Star Trek: Section 31, #3)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)