Start by marking “God's Perfect Child: Living and Dying in the Christian Science Church” as Want to Read:
God's Perfect Child: Living and Dying in the Christian Science Church

God's Perfect Child: Living and Dying in the Christian Science Church

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  52 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
From a former Christian Scientist, the first unvarnished account of one of America's most controversial and little-understood religious movements.

Millions of americans-from Lady Astor to Ginger Rogers to Watergate conspirator H. R. Haldeman-have been touched by the Church of Christ, Scientist. Founded by Mary Baker Eddy in 1879, Christian Science was based on a belief that
Published August 1st 2000 by Picador (first published August 15th 1999)

To ask other readers questions about God's Perfect Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God's Perfect Child

Annie
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
[Apologies for the mile long review, it's a long and complex book and merits a lot of analysis/recap IMO]

Gripping but not sensational, serious but not soulless, and completely readable, this book flew by and I found myself itching to get back to it every time I had to put it down. In 500+ pages, in a nonfiction book about a small religion, I wasn’t bored for a second.

My interest in Christian Science (academic interest, not “I’m going to join” interest) stems from the fact that about a year ago,
Canadian Reader
This is a scathing, but scholarly "biography" of Christian Science. Detailed in the extreme, the book covers the religion's strange, histrionic, attention-seeking quack of a founder, Mary Baker Eddy, as well as the larger development of the movement. Author Caroline Fraser grew up in a mixed Christian Science home: her father was a member; her mother was not. In her late teens, with her rational faculties growing, Fraser left the church. Her break was more or less complete when a young boy, a me ...more
Judie Holliday
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is amazingly well researched and well written. Fraser isn't out to vilify a group of people or make fun of religion in general or this one in particular. She feels strongly that some Christian Scientists make bad decisions, but she isn't bitter, full of hate or out to get anyone. I wanted to understand the history and tenets of the Christian Science Church and I feel I do now. I wish I could read a similar book about Scientology or Jehovah's Witness.
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Highly researched and footnoted, this is not an emotional book but a journalistic explanation of the religion, the founder, the controversies, and fairly current activities.
Budd Dwyer
Jan 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The book that blew the roof off the Xtian Science Church.

Now we need one on Mormonism!
Kay
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it

Eye opening for a former Christian Scientist.
Sam
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read
Decided to re-read it this morning and forgot how incredibly pissed off it makes me at CS. Weeee.
Colleen
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
The last chapter of this book is one of the best analyses about American religion I have ever encountered. It should be read (even if only as a standalone essay) by anyone interested in the influence individualism has had on the evolution of religious thought in the US.

4/5 for the book as a whole
5/5 for the last 30 pages
Sharon
My husband's mother, aunt and grandmother were Christian Scientists (all deceased). Two sisters died from incurable diseases (MS & Parkinson's). Their mother died in an auto accident. An uncle died from a ruptured appendix at age 14. Grandfather died from a heart attack at 55. This book explains their beliefs and includes an an interesting biography of it's founder, Mary Baker Eddy. Strange people and strange beliefs.
Meepspeeps
Aug 02, 2012 rated it liked it
The author provides lots of evidence regarding the mental instability of the founder of Christian Science, the many discrepancies in her own writings, and how strongly the Mother Church has quashed dissension and criticism over the years. The author's major flaw, though, is that she argues the inability of the church to "prove" its healing works, and of course virtually no religion is expected to prove its central tenets because they are based on faith. I think because Christian Science claims t ...more
Ang
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, this is very chilling. Super informative, too. The history and blow-by-blow stuff is a little boring, but you know, it's a history of the Church, so...
Kathryn
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Whew, this is a large book filled with lots of information...too much for me....
Ivy
Jul 17, 2011 rated it liked it
fascinating book if you ever want to learn about the history of Christian Scientists
Sheri faulk
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow! This book helped me to understand Christian Science Beliefs. It's just hard for me to understand how you can go on the teachings of Mary Baker Eddy. Why follow someone with such bad character?
Heather
Mar 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Having grown up as a Christian Scientist, but no longer practicing (just like the author), this book appealed to me.
Chuck
Judy
Aug 11, 2012
Jesse Irwin
Oct 31, 2007
Caroline Fraser was born in Seattle and holds a Ph.D. from Harvard University in English and American literature. Formerly on the editorial staff of The New Yorker, she is the author of two nonfiction books, God's Perfect Child: Living and Dying in the Christian Science Church and Rewilding the World: Dispatches from the Conservation Revolution, both published by Henry Holt's Metropolitan Books.

S
More about Caroline Fraser...