Start by marking “The Hawkweed Prophecy” as Want to Read:

(Hawkweed Prophecy #1)

The babies were born as the clock struck twelve. A bat fell from the air mid-flight. A silver salmon floated dead to the surface of the river. Snails withered in their shells, moths turned to dust on the night breeze and an owl ate its young. The spell had been cast.

Poppy Hooper has managed to deceive her father into believing that there is nothing mysterious or unnatural
Published June 16th 2016 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hawkweed Prophecy, please sign up.
Nicole There's 'The Hawkweed Legacy' which is coming out in 2017, but anything past that I'm not sure.
Charlie Finn It doesnt say but I thought them to be around 14-15/16

Dannii Elle
I initially fell in love with this story due to the whimsical narration that echoed traditional fairy or folk tales. The dark elements of fantasy, that proceeded to permeate the story, proved this comparison to be even further true. There was a simple beauty to the narrative voice that reawakened this primitive style of storytelling but was brought into modernity and relevance when combined with the contemporary setting.

The amalgamation of tradition, and the rural and fantastical setting in whic
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
I'm not going to lie, the prologue of this book was severely off-putting. So off-putting that I almost stopped reading it. BUT. Then I checked the length of the excerpt (it was short), so I kept going.

And I'm really glad I did, b/c I'm about 99.9% sure this book is going to be SPECTACULAR.

So don't be scared away by this:

The babies were born as the clocks struck twelve. As they finally slid from their mothers’ bellies, wet and sticky, their tiny faces scrunched up with the effort of being born,
Samantha
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book ended up being infinitely better than I was expecting!

The story follows two girls: one born into a coven of witches and one born to human parents. Both struggling to find their place in the world. Until one day theirs paths cross and they find each other and discover there is so much more linking them and their destinies.

I really, really enjoyed this read! Brignull's story telling style is very whimsical, at times dark with a dash of fairy tale thrown in for good measure. A quick read,
Carrie
May 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
In a coven of witches two sisters learn of a prophecy that says that one of then will give birth to the next leader of their coven. Raven is the determined sister who will do anything to make sure that the baby will definitely be her daughter. She puts a spell on her sister to make sure she will not give birth to a girl but when that spell wears off and a girl is predicted Raven switches the daughter with a human child across the country.

As the two girls grow up each finds it hard to fit into t
Eilonwy
Poppy lives in a town and tries to go to school; Emma lives with a tribe of witches and tries to do magic. But thanks to being switched at birth, neither of them fit in where they are. Poppy attracts cats and causes “accidents” everywhere she goes; Emma can’t do magic and makes soap, instead. When Poppy and her father move to yet another town for a fresh start, she and Emma meet and become friends -- but can their friendship hold as they learn the truth about themselves?
I really enjoyed this boo
Patty (IheartYA)
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Wow! This was a mesmerizing and magical twisty witchy tale that had a unique voice and a well structured plot. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
I picked up The Hawkweed Prophecy on a total whim at ALA. I’d seen the cover and put it in Cover Snark, but otherwise I’d heard absolutely nothing about this book, which probably relates to the fact that I’ve never heard of this publisher. Still, a fantasy with three strong heroines? Sounded good to me.

On a lot of levels, The Hawkweed Prophecy very much delivers, and I’m glad that I took a chance on it. Irena Brignull’s writing is lovely. It’s not every book where I start reading and really give
Marjolein
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

You would think that after all this time, people would know to do anything with prophecies, because it never works the way you planned. However, in The Hawkweed Prophecy, it has been prophecised that in 303 years, a daughter of a Hawkweed sister will lead the witches. This is considered extremely important, and of course one of the sisters will go just too far to ensure it will be her own daughter.

While it in principle was a ni
Nina-Tala (JustAddAWord) Shannak
The Hawkweed Prophecy is quite an impressive read.

It felt like one of those books that just … knows what it’s doing. It felt clear-minded, and precise, and focused.

And if the above statement made exactly 0.00001% sense to you, please allow me to explain.

Going into this novel, I honestly did not have many high expectations. And the reason why stems particularly from the initial laying-down of key plot points. What was wrong with said plot points? They seemed … recycled. A bit cliché, perhaps.
Cynthia (Bingeing On Books)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

This review might seem all over the place, but that's because the book was kind of all over the place. The beginning of this book was beautiful. I loved the writing and I absolutely loved all the talk of magic and two mothers loving the wrong baby. It started off amazing. I just wish the book had kept up that momentum.

So Poppy is a witch, but Emma's not. But since they are switched at birth, Poppy is raised by "chaffs" (witches
Aneta Bak
Switched at birth, Poppy and Ember end up meeting in person and becoming friends. They both feel like outcasts from the society they have been placed in. Poppy feels like the troubled child, unable to control her magical power among her classmates and home life. Ember has no magical ability while living in a coven of witches. The two friends learn that they can understand each other, and help one another in a way that their society can't. That is, until a boy comes between them.

The Hawkweed Prop
Claire (Book Blog Bird)

I received a copy of The Hawkweed Prophecy in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to Hachette and Netgalley.

Poppy Hooper has always been an outcast. Unpopular and spooky, cats follow her wherever she goes and spiders weave beautiful webs in her honour.

Ember Hawkweed, too, doesn’t fit in. She’s a pitiful excuse for a witch and the secluded group of women and girls she lives with tolerate her at best.

Throw in a hotly-contested prophesy and a throne up for grabs and there’s the maki
Gabby
Jul 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Netgalley for providing me with this in exchange for an honest review.

The Hawkweed Prophecy, to quite simply put it, was a mess. What started off a strong and intriguing dark fantasy quickly faded away to nothing but a badly written fantasy/romance. This book had the potential to be a great fantasy with great female characters, as it started off so.

Where to begin? First I must talk about the structure and how this novel switches between perspectives suddenly. There's no prior warning.
Kayla Garcia
👑👩🏻🐈👩🏼🍂🕷🌲🐇🔮❄🦊📃🐦 ...more
Hannah (fullybookedreviews)
Jul 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
DNF @ 30%.

Unfortunately, this was one of those YA books with little cross-over appeal for adults, at least in my opinion. The synopsis intrigued me, and the prologue had me hopeful that this would an edgy, creepy read, but sadly I found it riddled with cliches and very much aimed at a teenage audience. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, of course – it’s the risk you take as an adult who enjoys a large amount of YA – but in this case, it didn’t work for me.

We have a girl who always knew s
Jessi (Novel Heartbeat)
I was actually quite enjoying this book in the beginning. I found Irena's prose to be engaging and interesting, and I was super intrigued by the concept and the magic.

But, cat murder is a trigger for me. It's not something I want to read about. And this book went on and on and ON about it, in detail, for eleven pages before I just couldn't take it anymore. I was bawling when poor little Minx was brutally murdered. My heart can't take it, I don't even care how stupid that sounds to anyone else. I
Emily
The premise was interesting, but the insta-love for 3 girls for this one boy was a bit silly. It's like the author was saying, yes you could be all of these things, but BBBBBOOOOOOYYYYSSSSSSS...and you can't have both. WTF? Another reviewer mentioned that there seemed to be no reason for this story to have a love interest, and I have to agree because it seemed forced and painfully cliche. And this presence made no real sense - especially the "big revelation" about him that came as absolutely no ...more
Harriet
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, young-adult
This was a wonderful story. Irena Brignull mixes spectacular magic with a fairly grim reality in a way that constantly surprises and challenges. I loved the dell, full of junk and abandoned things and the way Poppy copes with a miserable school life - by unleashing the most terrifying spells in the school library! The Hawkweed Prophecy gives a well-written, sensitive portrayal of three young adults coping with growing up, discovering who they really are and forming deep and lasting friendships.
Sarah Amelia
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, ala2016
Thank you to the publisher for giving me an advanced readers copy of this book. That has in no way influenced my rating.

2.5 stars. Wasn't big on this book either. It was okay... just had some plot holes and once against INSTA LOVE! Plus a cat was killed so that turned me away from the book. I'm just not sure how to describe it.
Tova
Dec 24, 2016 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
RTC | DNF
nat.
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the first time I tried reading this book, I was not feeling it. I thought I was gonna hate it.

but booooy was I wrong!

this was delightful. the world of the witches. Poppy and Ember learning about their true destinies.

all the cats!

it just had that dark, and twisted fairytale vibe that I loved.

also I’m not a huge fan of love triangles but this one didn’t bother much, which was a surprise. I was shook to learn that.

Stef White
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This started off amazing and then got a little weird and I'm not a huge fan of instalove but it was good and I'm looking forward to the next one :)
Melinda
An initially promising story of two girls magically switched at birth: one a witch, the other a Muggle chaff. Ember grows up among a clan of witches, a hidden community of women in the woods, but is hopeless at magic, potions and animal communication. Poppy is given to a mother horrified by her "unnatural" daughter — a baby who doesn't cry, attracts spiders and cats, and has two different colored eyes. Much like Harry Potter, Poppy finds herself accidentally causing magical chaos at every school ...more
Kari Rhiannon (Moon Magister Reviews)
I received this book through Hachette Children’s Books in return for an honest review. Now, the blurb for this book read as a ticklist for everything I love to see in fiction. Creepy environs, two female protagonists, rituals and Witch Queens. But…somewhere on putting those elements into story form, ‘The Hawkweed Prophecy’ lost me. Objectively, it’s a beautifully written book and I’m sure lots of people will love it, but it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

My main 'problem’ with the book is that it fel
Edel
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the story about two girls who were both born at exactly the same time. One girl is brought up in a regular house with a regular family and the other girl is brought up in a coven of witches kept apart from modern society for the most part. Poppy is brought up with a dad and mentally ill mother and Raven is brought up surrounded by women all belonging to the same coven . Poppy has an usual gift that draws animals to her in a way she can't explain and she can move things without touching t ...more
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Actual Rating: 2.5*

Full review to come closer to release date.
Fernanda (the.wanderlust.reader)
You can find this review and more at The Wanderlust Reader!

*I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review*

What had really caught my attention, aside from the cover, was the premise of the story.

It all started with a prophecy which proclaimed that in 303 years, a Hawkweed sister would give birth to a girl who would ascend to the throne and govern all the witches. And that time has come. Raven Hawkweed will do anything to ensure that it is her daughter, Sorrel,
Patty
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

By
Irena Brignull

What it's all about...

This book is about witches...it is a lovely scary haunting witchy book where two babies get switched...through witchcraft...while they are being born. Ick! The mothers of the babies are witch sisters but one is much more mean and crafty and filled with spells than the other...in the beginning. But the naive witch sister is the one who is the mother of the baby who will be the most powerful witch queen ever. But...yep...one more but...the
Judith
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank netgalley.com and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
I enjoyed this work very much having generally found it to be well written and largely captivating describing the hardship of two girls growing up in the wrong homes after Raven Hawkweed, the leader of a northern witches' coven, caused them to be switched at birth. Poppy grows up in a normal family home but never feels comfortable in her own skin. She draws all s
Zili
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars in my Sky!

Witches, a prophecy and a whole lot of drama is exactly what we get in The Hawkweed Prophecy. The narrative has a sweet tone which is reminiscent of an old fairy tale.

The story focuses on two girl Ember and Poppy. Ember is born into a coven of witches with seemingly little power or interest in the usual witchy things, whilst Poppy is a human who doesn't feel like she fits in anywhere. A twist of fate pushes them together and they discover that everything they believed in is
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Barefoot on the Wind (The Moonlit Lands, #2)
  • Siren Sisters
  • Doctor Who: Immortal Beloved
  • Working God's Mischief (Instrumentalities of the Night, #4)
  • Split Decision (T*Witches, #9)
  • Songs About Us (Songs About A Girl, #2)
  • The Clockwork Crown (Clockwork Dagger, #2)
  • A Week without Tuesday (Tuesday McGillycuddy, #2)
  • Young, Gifted and Dead (St Jude's Academy, #1)
  • The Old Kingdom Collection: Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen, Clariel
  • Princess Decomposia and Count Spatula
  • The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee
  • Double Jeopardy (T*Witches, #6)
  • Masquerade (Micah Grey, #3)
  • The Exo Project
  • Redder Than Blood
  • Froelich's Ladder
  • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 2

Hawkweed Prophecy (2 books)
  • The Hawkweed Legacy (Hawkweed Prophecy #2)