Start by marking “More Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience” as Want to Read:

More Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience

More Letters of Note is another rich and inspiring collection, which reminds us that much of what matters in our lives finds its way into our letters.

These letters deliver the same mix of the heartfelt, the historically significant, the tragic, the comic and the unexpected. Discover Richard Burton's farewell note to Elizabeth Taylor, Helen Keller's letter to The New York S
Hardcover, First, 384 pages
Published October 1st 2015 by Canongate Unbound (first published September 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about More Letters of Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Letters of Note

Start your review of More Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience
Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again I cannot write anything else than: WOW. Shaun Usher is passionate, is full of wisdom and ideas - a true collector of words and emotions.
Myra
Letters of Note: Volume 2 is an outstanding collection of letters in a beautiful hard bound book. I believe that it would make the perfect holiday gift, but it is so much more than the typical coffee table book. The beauty lies within it -- in the historical personal glimpses of the people whose letters are included. There are over one hundred letters, which guarantees something of interest for anyone who opens it.
I have learned so much from reading this book and especially enjoyed reading the
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
It's a book of letters and, if that sounds boring, you obviously haven't read this book. These are brilliant missives, some funny, some sad, some zany, all fascinating. I loved Letters of Note, Vol. 1; I'm amazed to find that Vol. 2 is just as fabulous.
Gesine
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love these books so much. If another 10 were to be released, I'd happily read them all.
Jake Cooper
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know why I didn't find this as bewitching as the first, but here we are.
Hilary
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing collection. I found the last few less interesting but learned so much, some are so funny, others sad. Would thoroughly recommend
Melissa Sargent
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shaun Usher

This book is an irresistible treasure to people who love words in all their forms and find letters fascinating. The art of writing a letter is ancient and is quickly becoming a lost skill in these modern times. It is kind of ironic that a hard copy of a book like this, which began life as a thoroughly modern blog, www.lettersofnote.com, came about through crowd funding.

The book contains over a hundred letters, and is pe
Jane
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this with a Waterstones' voucher that my aunt and uncle gave me for Christmas, (it was half price in the sale and a complete bargain.) having bought Lists of Note with last year's voucher. The lists I kind of dip into now and again but I started flicking through this at about 9 o'clock last night and I ended up reading the whole thing from start to finish into the wee small hours of the morning. I shall be buying Letters of Note (the 1st one) after pay day.
The letter that has stayed wit
Zazu
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really extraordinarily delightful!
Keep this book on your coffee table to both entertain and learn from.
These letters, memos, and notes would never be seen otherwise--and they're almost always hilarious or remarkable. It's like going through the attic of an incredibly worldly and well-connected grandmother!
Some personal favorites: Ursula K. LeGuin's fabulously worded refusal to blurb a book (page 146), Hunter S. Thompson's foul-mouthed rejection of Anthony Burgess's 50,000 word novella (p
Caroline Wilson
Sep 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
Great review in the Times
Michael Davis
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second volume of communiques to and from people famous and not was at times just as potent as the first, just as moving, just as insightful. I’m rating it slightly lower for two reasons, one purely selfish which I’ll save for last.

Whether it was because I’d just read its predecessor, I’m not sure, but some of the magic of discovery was missing for me in this one. I don’t think it was because the senders and receivers were of any less note - they include the likes of

Steve Albini (to Nirvana)
Rhiannon
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
[I should probably say that I was given this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was not required to give a review and my opinion is my own. Just like to be upfront about these things.]

I recieved the softback edition which is a large, heavy thing with good quality paper. You could do some damage if you whacked someone with it. I like that in a book. It also has plenty of pictures, including scans of the letters.
In my opinion this is a book that should be in dead tree format. Perhaps a PDF if they
Andrew
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
For those not familiar with Shaun Usher's obsession with correspondence, check out the website lettersofnote.com first.

In each of the books he has included 125 letters. I'm afraid this volume had a few that were questionable, such as Lorina Bulwer's rambling letter from the insane asylum. What makes it interesting is that she hand-stitched it -- but it makes no sense. Several of the letters are angry responses by people like Norman Mailer, Ursula LeGuin, Hunter Thompson, the Egyptian Shepsi, V.
Samantha
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh to go back to a world with letters. What an inspirational book. Shaun Usher does a superb job of just writing enough about the people concerned, answering my questions regarding the letters without knowing what they were, genius. It's not 'just' a book about letters, (if it was, it would still be great) it's a delve into history and involves famous people but proper famous people such as authors, musicians, inventors, people who have had an impact in history and therefore on our lives, not ju ...more
Josh Yuter
Enjoyable but Kindle Edition Missing Transcriptions

I enjoyed volume 1 and most of volume 2. At present, in the Kindle edition several letters (maybe 10 give or take) only include the images without the transcriptions, which I found difficult (if not impossible) to read on my tablet or pc.
Priya Harry
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is filled with little bits of joy throughout. My only regret was having to read it so fast as I was on a Kindle Unlimited trial.

There is so much to take in, and the curator is generous with the amount of letters he has gathered (over 100 are included). The stories are interesting and span the breadth of human experience and times.
Ann
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a writer of letters, I really enjoyed this book of correspondence! Some famous letters and others unremarkable but all have insight into a particular time in history or into a life. A splendid read!
T.
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Almost as interesting as the first book; such a personal experience to read the letters of someone else, and truly amazing to get this glimpse into history and the personal lives of famous, or note-worthy people. A great read.
Douglas O'laughlin
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not even close to as good as the first. I couldn't quite get into this one as I did the first one. Still a very enjoyable read, but perhaps reading them in succession might of messed up my expectations.
Troy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love letters, and notes written to remind or inform or plead or to impress, and I love this series. The only issue I have is that the font size is really small, so to read a ton in one sitting is pretty hard for limited vision people, but I love the variety of notes here.
Vicky
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great compilation of letters from a whole host of authors - some famous, some less so. Have really enjoyed reading them and the stories that accompany them. An excellent coffee table book or one to dip in and out of. Especially love the insight into Mozart's brain!
Trevor Gill
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading for people who value the thoughts, wisdom and daftness of others. Funny, sad, wise and whacky - it’s all here. Reading a letter each day was a joy. Really well presented book - letters are introduced and originals often reproduced alongside typed versions.
Jamie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I loved reading the correspondence between Jane Austin and her sister. Also the note thanking Thomas Edison was interesting.
Kasey Wilson
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Inspiring. Funny. Devastating.
I smiled and cheered on the writers and cried over their losses as well. Some I can't get out of my head.
Gene Wilder.

Read this.

Erin Boeck
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of great letters in this collection. The one that made me laugh the most was the kid who wrote to Nixon for relief funds since his mom declared his bedroom a disaster zone.
Anna Bradley
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful collection of letters from people who range from Emily Dickinson and the writers of Southpark. I will continue to dip in and out of this book for the whole year.
Christopher
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the original "Letters of Note"
Mandy
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These letter collections never cease to amuse, shock and delight me.
B
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Another wonderful collection of letters ... thoroughly enjoyed this!
Russ Johnston
A good coffee table book. Could potentially have been served by some sort of thematic organization, but I suppose that may not have been the objective of the composer.

• Pretty Iconic: A Personal Look at the Beauty Products that Changed the World
  • Tell Me What You Want: The Science of Sexual Desire and How It Can Help You Improve Your Sex Life
  • Victorians Undone: Tales of the Flesh in the Age of Decorum
  • The Best of Norman Rockwell
  • What Next
  • Kid
  • The Push Man and Other Stories
  • Answer to Job
  • The Western Canon: The Books and School of the Ages
  • The Calorie Myth: How to Eat More and Exercise Less, Lose Weight, and Live Better
  • Wolf Hall / Bring Up the Bodies
  • Principles for Success
  • Piranesi
  • Altorių šešėly
  • The Poetry of Strangers: What I Learned Traveling America
  • Lessons Life Taught Me, Unknowingly: An Autobiography
  • D(A Tale of Two Worlds)
  • FIREFLY
Shaun Usher was born in St. Albans in 1978 and currently lives in Wilmslow with his wife and two sons. He is the sole custodian of the popular blog, Letters of Note, a much-anticipated book of which is to be published in October 2013 following lengthy periods of hair-pulling and despair. His obsession with correspondence is particularly interesting given that he regularly receives--and more often ...more