Start by marking “More Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience” as Want to Read:

More Letters of Note: Correspondence Deserving of a Wider Audience

More Letters of Note is another rich and inspiring collection, which reminds us that much of what matters in our lives finds its way into our letters.

These letters deliver the same mix of the heartfelt, the historically significant, the tragic, the comic and the unexpected. Discover Richard Burton's farewell note to Elizabeth Taylor, Helen Keller's letter to The New York S
Hardcover, First, 384 pages
Published October 1st 2015 by Canongate Unbound (first published September 3rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about More Letters of Note, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Letters of Note

Olga Kowalska (WielkiBuk)
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again I cannot write anything else than: WOW. Shaun Usher is passionate, is full of wisdom and ideas - a true collector of words and emotions.
Myra
Letters of Note: Volume 2 is an outstanding collection of letters in a beautiful hard bound book. I believe that it would make the perfect holiday gift, but it is so much more than the typical coffee table book. The beauty lies within it -- in the historical personal glimpses of the people whose letters are included. There are over one hundred letters, which guarantees something of interest for anyone who opens it.
I have learned so much from reading this book and especially enjoyed reading the
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: must-read
It's a book of letters and, if that sounds boring, you obviously haven't read this book. These are brilliant missives, some funny, some sad, some zany, all fascinating. I loved Letters of Note, Vol. 1; I'm amazed to find that Vol. 2 is just as fabulous.
Gesine
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love these books so much. If another 10 were to be released, I'd happily read them all.
Jake Cooper
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I don't know why I didn't find this as bewitching as the first, but here we are.
Melissa Sargent
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shaun Usher

This book is an irresistible treasure to people who love words in all their forms and find letters fascinating. The art of writing a letter is ancient and is quickly becoming a lost skill in these modern times. It is kind of ironic that a hard copy of a book like this, which began life as a thoroughly modern blog, www.lettersofnote.com, came about through crowd funding.

The book contains over a hundred letters, and is pe
Zazu
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is really extraordinarily delightful!
Keep this book on your coffee table to both entertain and learn from.
These letters, memos, and notes would never be seen otherwise--and they're almost always hilarious or remarkable. It's like going through the attic of an incredibly worldly and well-connected grandmother!
Some personal favorites: Ursula K. LeGuin's fabulously worded refusal to blurb a book (page 146), Hunter S. Thompson's foul-mouthed rejection of Anthony Burgess's 50,000 word novella (p
Caroline Wilson
Sep 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
Great review in the Times
Michael Davis
Jul 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second volume of communiques to and from people famous and not was at times just as potent as the first, just as moving, just as insightful. I’m rating it slightly lower for two reasons, one purely selfish which I’ll save for last.

Whether it was because I’d just read its predecessor, I’m not sure, but some of the magic of discovery was missing for me in this one. I don’t think it was because the senders and receivers were of any less note - they include the likes of

Steve Albini (to Nirvana)
Andrew
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
For those not familiar with Shaun Usher's obsession with correspondence, check out the website lettersofnote.com first.

In each of the books he has included 125 letters. I'm afraid this volume had a few that were questionable, such as Lorina Bulwer's rambling letter from the insane asylum. What makes it interesting is that she hand-stitched it -- but it makes no sense. Several of the letters are angry responses by people like Norman Mailer, Ursula LeGuin, Hunter Thompson, the Egyptian Shepsi, V.
Rhiannon
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
[I should probably say that I was given this book in a Goodreads giveaway. I was not required to give a review and my opinion is my own. Just like to be upfront about these things.]

I recieved the softback edition which is a large, heavy thing with good quality paper. You could do some damage if you whacked someone with it. I like that in a book. It also has plenty of pictures, including scans of the letters.
In my opinion this is a book that should be in dead tree format. Perhaps a PDF if they
Samantha
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh to go back to a world with letters. What an inspirational book. Shaun Usher does a superb job of just writing enough about the people concerned, answering my questions regarding the letters without knowing what they were, genius. It's not 'just' a book about letters, (if it was, it would still be great) it's a delve into history and involves famous people but proper famous people such as authors, musicians, inventors, people who have had an impact in history and therefore on our lives, not ju ...more
Josh Yuter
Enjoyable but Kindle Edition Missing Transcriptions

I enjoyed volume 1 and most of volume 2. At present, in the Kindle edition several letters (maybe 10 give or take) only include the images without the transcriptions, which I found difficult (if not impossible) to read on my tablet or pc.
Vicky
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great compilation of letters from a whole host of authors - some famous, some less so. Have really enjoyed reading them and the stories that accompany them. An excellent coffee table book or one to dip in and out of. Especially love the insight into Mozart's brain!
Troy
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love letters, and notes written to remind or inform or plead or to impress, and I love this series. The only issue I have is that the font size is really small, so to read a ton in one sitting is pretty hard for limited vision people, but I love the variety of notes here.
T.
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Almost as interesting as the first book; such a personal experience to read the letters of someone else, and truly amazing to get this glimpse into history and the personal lives of famous, or note-worthy people. A great read.
Douglas O'laughlin
Jul 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not even close to as good as the first. I couldn't quite get into this one as I did the first one. Still a very enjoyable read, but perhaps reading them in succession might of messed up my expectations.
Ann
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a writer of letters, I really enjoyed this book of correspondence! Some famous letters and others unremarkable but all have insight into a particular time in history or into a life. A splendid read!
Jamie
Nov 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
I loved reading the correspondence between Jane Austin and her sister. Also the note thanking Thomas Edison was interesting.
Mandy
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
These letter collections never cease to amuse, shock and delight me.
Erin Boeck
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lots of great letters in this collection. The one that made me laugh the most was the kid who wrote to Nixon for relief funds since his mom declared his bedroom a disaster zone.
Kasey Wilson
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful. Inspiring. Funny. Devastating.
I smiled and cheered on the writers and cried over their losses as well. Some I can't get out of my head.
Gene Wilder.

Read this.

Christopher
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as good as the original "Letters of Note"
Anna Bradley
May 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful collection of letters from people who range from Emily Dickinson and the writers of Southpark. I will continue to dip in and out of this book for the whole year.
B
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Another wonderful collection of letters ... thoroughly enjoyed this!
Al
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is an extraordinary eclectic collection of letters by the famous and sometimes not so famous. They range from the amusing (Samuel Clemens struggling with an early typewriter) to the sad (Ethel Rosenberg's letter to her sons before execution). You'll learn that Richard Burton continued to love Elizabeth Taylor after their second divorce and that Bram Stoker was a big fan of Walt Whitman. The book is beautifully produced with transcripts of the letters often followed by photocopies of the let ...more
Emily
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
I received this book from LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program, but all opinions are my own.

I have always loved reading people's letters--they seemed to me to show the more intimate side of a person, moreso than any biography can. I received the first volume of Letters of Note for Christmas in 2014 and read it cover to cover, so I was thrilled to get Volume 2.

To me, what makes the Letters of Note books stand out from all the books of letters out there is the absolute high-quality of the books.
Holly
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed More Letters of Note, but not as much as I enjoyed the original volume. Obviously 'More' books tend to have slightly lesser content, simply because it's the ones that didn't get included first time around, but I think it may also have something to do with the editing, which I found to be a bit 'off'. There are some fantastic letters in there, and a number seem very current and interesting. For example the Bowie letter, which I read on the eve of his passing, and Lili Elbe's letter, whi ...more
Amy Neftzger
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Letters of Note, Volume 2 is a very fun read, as it primarily contains the contents of actual letters written from one notable person to another. Authors include Charlotte Bronte, JK Rowling, Tennessee Williams, Winston Churchill, and many others. There are also company memos that are quite amusing to read (and yes, someone actually sent those to employees!). The topics vary, so this is a book where the reader can skip around or stagger the reading across scattered bits of free time. I have plac ...more
Jane
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I bought this with a Waterstones' voucher that my aunt and uncle gave me for Christmas, (it was half price in the sale and a complete bargain.) having bought Lists of Note with last year's voucher. The lists I kind of dip into now and again but I started flicking through this at about 9 o'clock last night and I ended up reading the whole thing from start to finish into the wee small hours of the morning. I shall be buying Letters of Note (the 1st one) after pay day.
The letter that has stayed wit

• Photo Icons
  • Classic Penguin: Cover to Cover
  • The Rebecca Notebook: and Other Memories
  • Mockingbird Songs: My Friendship with Harper Lee
  • Around the World in Seventy-Two Days And Other Writings
  • Shakespeare and Co.: Christopher Marlowe, Thomas Dekker, Ben Jonson, Thomas Middleton, John Fletcher and the Other Players in His Story
  • The Genius of China: 3000 Years of Science, Discovery and Invention
  • By the Book: A Reader's Guide to Life
  • 1001 Historic Sites You Must See Before You Die
  • Canton Elegy: A Father's Letter of Sacrifice, Survival, and Enduring Love
  • The Ark's Anniversary
  • Opening Pandora's Box: Phrases We Borrowed from the Classics and the Stories Behind Them
  • The Rub of Time: Bellow, Nabokov, Hitchens, Travolta, Trump: Essays and Reportage, 1986-2016
  • Working the Room: Essays and Reviews: 1999-2010
Shaun Usher was born in St. Albans in 1978 and currently lives in Wilmslow with his wife and two sons. He is the sole custodian of the popular blog, Letters of Note, a much-anticipated book of which is to be published in October 2013 following lengthy periods of hair-pulling and despair. His obsession with correspondence is particularly interesting given that he regularly receives--and more often ...more