Start by marking “Jala and the Wolves” as Want to Read:
Jala and the Wolves

Read Book

Jala and the Wolves

Jala is a curious girl who spends most of her time learning new facts about animals-especially wolves. One day, she is only a little surprised to find that a mysterious mirror has appeared in her room. Like Alice's looking glass, the mirror is only the beginning.
Published March 27th 2015 by Plum Street Press (A Division of Yes, MAM Creations) (first published January 21st 2015)

Start your review of Jala and the Wolves
Marti Dumas
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this story for my daughter as a Christmas present when she was in first grade. I printed a copy on Blurb so it would be "fancy" and like any of the other chapter books she was reading, just with the added twist of her being the main character. Like her mama, Jala has always been a sucker for fantasy adventures, so we enjoyed reading this little story together.

Years later, her little brother noticed the single copy of Jala and the Wolves on the shelf and asked me if I would ma
Justin
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Having listened to the audiobook for Jala and the Wolves, I had the pleasure of listening to this captivating adventure This is an urban fantasy of sorts, where little Jala (with a love for bean pie, which I’ve never tried but am now curious), finds a strange mirror in her room that transforms her into a wolf.

From there the adventure includes Jala helping a pack of wolves learn how to survive again. It’s funny that at the beginning Jala can never seem to eat enough, and is indeed somewhat gluto
Kira Simion
Apr 30, 2017 marked it as to-read
Shelves: got-for-free
The cover is beautiful. The colors are calming, yet enticing. I can't wait to start this cute thing!
Dawn Husted
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished Jala and the Wolves within an hour. It’s a book for mothers to read with their daughters, and is also a book that children (chapter-book reading age) can read on their own. I enjoyed the story and found it intriguing; it starts off with a young girl who’s asked to leave the kitchen while breakfast is prepared, and afterwards she ends up picking up a book to read that is all about wolves, but before she gets the chance, she’s whisked off to a magical world, one where she is an alpha wo ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Feb 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book deserves to be a lot more popular; it mixes the world of adventure and childhood innocence with an evident admiration for wolves and the author's creativity really shines through.
Taylor Smith
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Jala and the Wolves from Marti Dumas. It was such a well-written story and had a lot of character. I loved how the story started how with some hand-drawn pieces of art. That really got me interested in the story as I am an artist myself and so is my daughter. I downloaded this book for us to read together. She is in Kindergarten and still enjoys for me to read to her. I found that my daughter was easily able to connect to Jala. Jala is the main character and she always has her e ...more
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-own
A beautiful book for children and especially fitting for a parent to read to their child, I think. If I had children, I would definitely read them this story. It was very well written, creative, sweet, had some moral messages, and was all together quite lovely. I particularly enjoyed the way the wolves communicate with one another. Very original and described well.
Pat Eroh
Oct 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was extremely strange but in a good way! Great imagination inducing story
Gaele
AudioBook Review:
Stars: 4 Narration: 4 Story 4
I’m always on the lookout for child-appropriate titles that will work as books to share with your children, or encourage new readers of chapter books to ‘do it themselves’. Surprisingly harder than you would expect, watching for content, message and of course, avoiding too much of the action or scare factor that would discourage some young readers. For that reason, faerie-tale morality stories that trend to a more humanist view of the world ar
Gaele
AudioBook Review:
Stars: 4 Narration: 4 Story 4
Lorelei Miller
Jala is a curious six year old girl. She loves to read, especially about animals, she is always learning new facts about them. Jala knows her mother is magic, her mother always knows what she is thinking and when she is hungry after all! One day she finds a mysterious mirror in her room and she just knows her magic mother put it there. Jala travels into the mirror like Alice and Jala finds a wolf pack on the other side.

This book is perfect for younger readers. The narrative moves wel
Heather
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
First Reads winner! This is a adventure story of traveling unexpectedly to another world, with the difference that this new world is not a crazy or menacing place to be (like Alice's Wonderland, or Coraline's alternate world, or Gregor's Underland, to name a few), which is rather refreshing. Instead, it's about Jala experiencing the thrills of being a wolf and the satisfaction of helping other wolves.

It's a quick read, perfect for kids who are beginning to read chapter books, as well as for mor
Holly
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fairytale written for all ages, Jala and the Wolves is a story that focusses on the meaning of family, and the roles that each member plays in the world. A book written for children, with enough story to prevent a reader from falling asleep at storytime. The characters are believable, friendly and reassuring. The lessons are perfect for children learning their place in the world, and the adventures are fun.

A wonderful story for children of all ages, with a plot that will keep adults and child
Russell Goulet
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the book Jala and the Wolves to be very entertaining and fun i think Marti Dumas' effort was exciting and could make a wonderful addition to a classroom or home library. The book was easy to read and easy to understand. The book had enough action to be exciting, but not so much as to be scary. I received s copy of this book through the Goodreads Firstreads program and it was a great, fu, and quick journey.
Delta
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jala and the Wolves is a delightful fairy tale about a young girl learning about how wonders of family. Perfect for young children and pre-teens who enjoy a bit of wonder. Girls and boys will enjoy.

I listened to the audio version of this book and I found the author's voice very soothing and sweet, although a bit slow for my liking. But, perhaps, this is better for a younger audience.

Very sweet story. Quick read.

**I received a copy of this book in exchange for
Judy
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book for my 8 year old nephew. He loves animals and I thought that he would enjoy the imaginative story. He and his Mom read the book in small increments before bedtime and they both loved it! Now, we just have to find a recipe for bean pie! :)
Melanie
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cute, well-written story. I liked it.
Sara
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful story...too short though.
gj indieBRAG
Sep 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that JALA AND THE WOLVES by Marti Dumas is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Maria
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
A short and sweet story.
Sidharth.K.S.
Jun 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• A Wolf Called Wander
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Wolf Brother (Chronicles of Ancient Darkness, #1)
  • The Ways of the Wolf
  • Child of the Wolves
  • Walk with a Wolf: Read and Wonder
  • I Was Born for This
  • Black History for Beginners
  • Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
  • Chew, Vol. 3: Just Desserts
  • The Worst Witch (Worst Witch, #1)
  • The Midwich Cuckoos
  • Demons (Rat Queens, #3)
  • The Wolves in the Walls
  • Alien Next Door
  • Dave Pigeon (Dave Pigeon, #1)
  • Illegal
  • Scary Stories Treasury

Writer:
Marti Dumas is a native New Orleanian with a passion for storytelling. When she is not teaching or parenting, she is reading or writing. She prefers to do some combination of the above within view of ancient oak trees or the banks of the river. Or both.

Narrator:
For over a decade Marti has narrated and produced audio books for use in educational settings, using her me