Start by marking “A Boy Called Cin” as Want to Read:
A Boy Called Cin

A Boy Called Cin

On the search for a cup of coffee before the guest lecture he's giving, Tom spies a tired, half-frozen young man who looks even more need of coffee than him. On impulse, he buys the man a cup—but an attempt to strike up conversation ends in the young man walking off, seemingly put off by Tom Walford—the tabloids’ favourite billionaire—buying him coffee. But when he reappea ...more
Published July 8th 2015 by Less Than Three Press

To ask other readers questions about A Boy Called Cin, please sign up.
WMD Hey. I think if you are wondering if it would be appropriate, you might want to wait on this one. There is a List of mm books with 'no sex' on the MM …moreHey. I think if you are wondering if it would be appropriate, you might want to wait on this one. There is a List of mm books with 'no sex' on the MM Listopia thread. I think this book isn't as explicit as some; there is a lot of lead in/prep and then a lot of them being very happy after sex. But the event does occur a lot and body parts/functions discussed in some detail as they figure out what works for them. Their cooperative/comfortable positive attitude is pretty cool. (less)

Start your review of A Boy Called Cin
Alison Evans
I think this book is important because it's not written for cis people. If you are cis, I recommend this to you. In books by cis people, trans people are defined by discomfort, pain, gender dysphoria and this book directly addresses this issue. This isn't the trans narrative that cis people are used to.

TLDR; trans books written by trans people are very important.
Xan West
This is a seriously beautiful, radical, trans and non-binary centered romance that blows me away. Cis gaze is only in the book as far as the non-binary character has internalized it, and that's gently and firmly challenged by the trans love interest.

I just finished rereading this book for the third time, about 18 months after my first read. I picked it up at the end of a really rough gender day, and have been slowly sipping it over the course of several days, as a way of holding it close as a co
K.J. Charles
Loads of things to love about this. Cin is a delight, grumpy and cynical and vulnerable and determined. The relationship with Tom is very sweetly developed, and the author can really write. What I think I most liked though was the normality of it. This is a bi genderqueer man with a bi trans man, and dysphoria/its consequences was an issue in their sex life, but it wasn't a 'Big Traumatic Issue' issue. It was a *thing*, like the other things you get in romance novels, no more or less. A thing th ...more
Aleksandra
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing

A Boy Called Cin is charming and marvelous romance novel about twenty year old art student trans man Cin and forty year old business genderqueer Tom. I adore this book! It's so well-written, the romance is swoon-worthy and so healthy and delightful. I love both of the main characters and their relationship. It's a romance-focused book, with steady well-developed romance with mutual attraction, love and care for each other.

I love how important consent is in this story (as it should be).
Mel
May 09, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
Update at 44%

Oh my. The writing style is kinda really bad. There is absolutely no flow between the scenes and the constant jumping to the next is totally putting me off. It's taking a lot away from my reading enjoyment.

On the other hand, I appreciate that our billionaire Tom is no alpha and that this book is not playing into the usual tropes. But I actually wonder at this point what it's adding to the story. Is it just a fun gimmick? It is creating a little angst concerning a possible future for
amomentsilence
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to amomentsilence by: Netgalley
That was pretty sweet. I can't begin to explain how satisfying that was to read, even more so because it ended happily with no one hurt or dying or mauled or anything. Might just be one of the best things I've read focusing on genderqueer characters and relationships in a long frigging time.

*proper review coming over the weekend*
Shira Glassman
Dec 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: if you like thinky sex scenes, older men, or happy endings for trans ppl.
Shelves: trans, men-with-men
A Boy Named Cin is a luscious piece of wish-fulfillment in which a character who is basically the amiable, generous, bisexual nerd-programmer-billionaire (that probably has Steve Jobs as his Mirror Universe Evil Twin) falls for a bratty young art student undergrad basically because said art-student isn't groveling in front of him like everybody else is.

This is a delicious older-man dream, a billionaire romance that I actually saw the point of for once. (I mean, billionaire romances are supposed
Kristy
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
I rather liked the idea of this book, as I rarely see bisexual or transgender characters, let alone characters who are both, let alone a supporting cast including trans characters. As an exercise in exploring gender issues and dysphoria I appreciated the story. Having characters frankly discuss their sexual preferences and negotiate how their sex lives together would progress instead of making assumptions or coercing each other was fantastic to see in a romance novel. A++ would recommend to ever ...more
Max
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqia, romance, trans
TRANS ROMANCE NOVEL!!! It got very "gender 101" at times in the first half, and the billionaire age difference thing isn't usually for me, but god, I loved it anyway. The characters were cute and believable, their romance was sweet (if lacking conflict pretty much throughout the entire book), and also, TRANS PEOPLE IN A ROMANCE NOVEL. WHO GET A HAPPY ENDING. It made me so happy.
Elisabeth Lane
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book based on a post over at Queer Romance Month because the author's sense of humor hit me just right. That's generally a pretty good indication that I will get along with their books and in the case of Cecil Wilde, that played out exactly as I expected. A Boy Called Cin was an emotional, romantic and sexy read that I couldn't put down.

From the moment of the meet-cute (or is that meet-pretentious-and-irritable?) Cin, short for Hyacinth, and Tom had me right away. Cin is a unive
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆ ~ 4 Stars
Not my usual type of read but when I saw it was available as a prize in the 2015 M/M Anniversary Celebration, I jumped on it and I wasn't disappointed.

When businessman Tom brings a cup of coffee to a young, half-frozen guy at the college he's giving a lecture at is the beginning of an interesting and rewarding romance.

As it works out although Tom and Cin have an age gap and money gap among other things, they have a surprising amount of things in common. I was curious and this book
Mercedes
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance

I really enjoyed this. If I had to describe in two words I would say sensible and mature.
Eloise
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow that was cute.
There was more smut than i'd first expected but actually, it was so well done. All the discussions about gender and dysphoria and respect in sexual activities despite dysphoria... All of that was beautiful and a great example of how to act and react.
The two characters are at different places in their gender discovery but they are so good for each other, helping each other and simply loving each other in the best possible way.
You can't help but smile and laugh and be super happy
Love Bytes Reviews
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Heart Review by Carissa

Tom’s a billionaire tech-genius who just wants to share a cup of coffee with the cute guy near the coffee cart. He wasn’t expecting to get insulted for the gift of caffeine, but he kind of likes it anyways. It is always nice to have people who don’t treat him like some type of god. Plus, Cin took the coffee, so mission accomplished. When Tom spots Cin at the lecture he is giving later that day, he decides that one coffee is clearly not enough, and asks Cin out. And so be
liz
May 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: from-netgalley
Unfortunately, this book didn't work well for me. These are two characters finding ways to be at peace with themselves and each other. I wanted to be invested, but I mostly felt informed. Cin spends much of the book teaching Tom about gender and sexuality. Readers are told over and over how 40yo Tom is being educated by this 20yo boy. Tom hasn't been able to find a sexual partner to really understand his feelings. Suddenly this wise boy gets him. I wish that was just sweet and wonderful. Instead ...more
Relly
May 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Review Copy from Netgalley

This one didn’t work for me
I liked the idea of this book from the blurb, and did like some aspects of the storyline but the narration style didn’t work for me. I prefer to feel the emotions with the characters, but in this case felt like I was being told the emotions not feeling them and this made it that I was unable to connect with the characters, and struggled to feel their connection.
Tom didn’t work for me as a character and I’m going to struggle to verbalise why.
namericanwordcat
Tom and Cin.

I adored the love story of Tom and Cin. The exploration of sexuality is powerful here.

Cin is wiser than Tom about gender in many ways because he is younger and grew up in the time of the internet and gender studies. This knowledge helps with power imblance that might be brought on by Tom's age and wealth.

Tom is lovely and watching him settle into his truth is powerful.

I love the way issues around money are handled here realistically and the levels of emotionial bravery in this boo
Billy
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
A trans book by a non-binary trans author - yes, love it!
A nice, cheeky, short story. This is the second book featuring a gay FtM in the past 5 years that I've come across, but my first featuring someone AMAB who is coming to terms with their gender identity and dysphoria over the age of 35.
This is not a coming-out novella. It is a mixture of the sweet and salty that comes with being queer: finding people who accept you and love you unconditionally, being rejected and/or disowned, but also try
N.M. Pratt
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps I’ve been reading the wrong books. This is, by far, the best book I have read where gender identity is truly fluid. Cin is a person I would want as a friend or a lover. This book was low on angst, had some wonderful “non traditional” sex scenes and was just all around wonderful.
Monika
Jul 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-cis-authors
This is a sweet, cute, and HAPPY bi trans/nonbinary story. It's so nice to have positive #ownvoices rep like this! 😊 I feel like any issues I had with it fell into the "it's not you, dear book...it's me" category. So while it was just "good" for me personally, it's definitely a must-read for those who enjoy romance novels.
Alison
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, lgbtq, my-e-things
3.5 stars. This was nice and wonderfully queer. I love that it's an own-voices, feel-good romance between a cool trans person and a cool genderqueer person because that's not something one sees very often in romance and it gets bonus points for that. This is a sweet and fairly quiet Cinderella-type of romance between two people who talk about things a lot and make their relationship work through a thorough examination of what they both want and need. It's wonderful ordinary (but also special and ...more
Jules Lovestoread
Jul 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a really interesting read…I’m actually having a bit of trouble putting into words all of my thoughts on this book. I’m not gonna do any type of synopsis recap – which I don’t typically do much of in my reviews anyway – but instead, I’m going with a sort of stream-of-consciousness of my thoughts.

I liked both main characters quite a bit. Tom is a sexy billionaire with a heart of gold, and Cin is a twenty-year-old art student. Cin is snarky and intelligent, and, honestly, seems very put-to
Amanda
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This! book!

Can I just start off by saying that this book is SO QUEER. LIKE, not just the protagonists, but EVERYONE IS QUEER! I'm not sure there are any non-LGBTQIA characters in this book aside from VERY minor secondary characters? And that is so notable to me because there are a lot of books--ahem, especially ones written by cishet authors--that have like, one queer character who seems to know no other queer people. I mean, not saying this can't be someone's reality, but I don't want to see it
iam
Reread September 2019: One of my all time favourite comfort reads. I absolutely adore the genderqueer and trans rep in this book, and beyond that the characters and romance between them is wonderful, and the humor made me laugh out loud.

Original review 2018:This is probably one of my all time favourite reads.
"What's the cute boy's name?"
"Cin."
"Is he a stripper?"
"No, no. C-I-N. He's an art student. He thinks I'm a capitalist pig. It's great."
A Boy Called Cin is a wonderful romance
Antonella
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
After rereading: I've rounded my rating up from 3 to 4 stars because I realised that I often criticise other books with trans characters because I wouldn't put them in the hands of LGBT youth due to the traumatic content. This book is exactly the opposite: no big traumas, no slurs, no assaults. A kind of fairy tale with billionaire., a great read for trans and cis people alike.

Below my original review:
This book get plus points for the genderqueer/transgender aspect, but some other bits are a kin
Eddie
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020
A boy called Cin is light-hearted for the most part, respectful (in a great way) and funny at times. All the characters are easily likable and I suppose a lot of people could identify with Cin and Tom (though maybe not the millionaire part). The main couple goes against some deeply-rooted stereotypes of age difference relationship portrayal and it's pretty cool.

Unfortunately, despite all this, I can't say I enjoyed this book at all.

I started reading A boy called Cin thinking I'd love it, but cle
Dannica Zulestin
I mostly saw this book pimped as good trans rep and a very nice romance before reading it. Which is pretty much what it is--it's a specific kind of art student wish fulfillment (or maybe millenial wish fulfillment) of finding a nice, mature significant other who has enough money for you to live comfortably without worrying. Which is cool. But also, I'm not hugely a fan of fluff with so little conflict. So it's a good book but didn't do much for me.

That said! It does have some very interesting st
Jo Ladzinski
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-copy
Recommended to me by a dear friend of mine, this book was a nice reprieve to the emotionally draining epic fantasy near and dear to my heart. A Boy Called Cin is a short tale about a trans artist who goes out to coffee with a dashing billionaire and romance blossoms.

It's really touching and the frankness of the conversations between these two characters is really well done. There's almost no interpersonal conflict, but I loved the journey of self-discovery both men go on. Oh, and the sex. The se
SammiSue
That was an elegantly done, sweet love story about transgender love!

The characters are so well developed and genuine. I started reading it knowing that it was about a transman going into and through a relationship and was pleasantly surprised to experience Tom's gender insecurities as well.

This was a very straightforward and hilarious read and I highly recommend it.
Sally
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
QUILTBAG Content: This was a bit odd, especially at first, but I really like that Cecil Wilde didn’t settle for comfortably pinning characters to one part of the rainbow. Instead, Tom is bisexual and gender-queer, while Cin is bisexual and transgender. It’s perhaps a little too convenient, allowing a man-on-boy crush to develop into such a diverse sort of relationship, but I cannot deny the joy it brought me. Just to add to the confusion, Tom’s sister is transsexual, and the fact that he doesn’t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Coffee Boy
  • Work for It (Just for Him, #4)
  • The Doctor's Discretion
  • Spy Stuff
  • Starting from Scratch (Housemates, #5)
  • Goalie Interference (Hat Trick, #2)
  • Homesick: Stories
  • Tournament of Losers
  • Peter Darling
  • Little Fish
  • Long Macchiatos and Monsters
  • The Subtweet
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
  • Cancer Ships Aquarius (Signs of Love, #5)
  • Sovereign (Nemesis, #2)
  • Coming in First Place (Between the Teeth #1)
  • Maiden, Mother, and Crone: Fantastical Trans Femmes
  • Caroline's Heart
Cecil Wilde resides in Australia, accompanied by a cat who takes up most of the bed, a family of possums in the roof space, and more spiders than they’re entirely comfortable with. They write altogether cuter queer romance than their image as a grumpy cynic might suggest.