Start by marking “Rice Cooker Revenge (Kami No Sekai Short Story Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Rice Cooker Revenge (Kami No Sekai Short Story Series #1)

Rice Cooker Revenge

(Kami No Sekai Short Story Series #1)

It sits there on the counter, quiet and contemplative. Who knew rice cookers could be so vengeful?

Ryu must decide whether to stay or leave The Chef’s kitchen, so he turns to an unlikely ally for help.

~~~

Shhh… Listen To The Gods.

The Japanese believe the gods live in all things. Trees, appliances, animals, buildings — they all have a spirit living within them. Maybe, if
Published March 19th 2015 by Onigiri Press

To ask other readers questions about Rice Cooker Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rice Cooker Revenge

Nicole Hewitt
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a cute and unique story. Who knew a rice cooker could have such an interesting POV?! I loved the friendship between Ryu and the rice cooker and had a great time reading this one!
Lola
I received a copy in exchange for an honest review

SJ Pajonas is one of my favourite authors and when I got the chance to read and review this book, the first in her new short story series, I dived into it as soon as possible. I easily read this in one sitting and it was such a fun book! It left a smile on my face and I am eager for the next book in this series.

It is very different from Pajonas her other books, while still being a typical Pajonas book, if that makes sense? It's different in subje
Karen’s Library
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a quick, unique and fun read featuring Rice Cooker and Ryu. I loved reading Rice Cooker's POV and rooted for him and Ryu throughout this enchanting tale. I wasn't sure what to expect but within the first few pages, I was hooked and knew I had to know what happened next. The ending was extremely satisfying and I had a huge smile on my face when I finished the last page. S. J. Pajonas writes extremely well and I love her imagination. I definitely recommend this short story!
Caroline Cairn
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quirky and fun read, perfect when you want a good, but short story to bite into.
S.J. Pajonas
Mar 20, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: authored-by-me
You can find out more about RICE COOKER REVENGE and the rest of the Kami No Sekai series on my website.

Teri Miller
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Totally awesome, totally unique!

After I finished this story I went to the kitchen and cleaned my rice cooker. I talked to it the whole time I was cleaning it! My rice cooker is about 40 years old! It deserves my love and respect. It came to me via Taiwan as a gift from a college friend. I loved this story!
Tracey Pedersen
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this fun short story about a rice cooker and the revenge it takes on its careless owner. Besides the quirky subject matter, this book was really well written and I could have read a lot more in this one. Worth a look!
bryan richter
Dec 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Good and goofy

A goofy little story that will leave you with a smile. A solid short story on all levels. I'd definitely read more from this author
Barb Nifong
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a quick and unusual read for me. I don't know much about Japanese culture and this was an interesting account of a rice cooker and young man working in The Chef's kitchen. Who knew a rice cooker had feelings, much less could carry on a conversation. I look forward to reading more of SJ. Pajonas books.
Brianna
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it

*I received an ARC of this book, in exchange for my honest review.*

I’ve read, and really liked, all of S.J. Pajonas’s books. From contemporary to sci-fi, it’s all been good. When I heard that this story was about a vengeful rice cooker, I admit to not being sure of what to think. But after seeing that her inspiration was because Japanese people believe that spirits reside in everything, I knew I had to give it a try. Short stories aren’t my usual read, but I knew I wouldn’t regret taking a cha
Emma
Aug 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Japanophiles
This one was a bit weird. I think mostly because I'm not a huge Japanophile... But it did have redeeming qualities even for me, a hardened stoic! It was definitely charming, and a nice story about a young man following his dreams and finding his way in the world. I liked the character of the rice cooker, and also of the protagonist. The writing was good; not Pulitzer good, but the voices of Ryu and the rice cooker had personality (the story is alternately told from Ryu's POV and the rice cooker' ...more
Andrea Stoeckel
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one fun read!

The seven year old badly treated (in his eyes anyway) rice cooker at a small Japanese tempura house gets its revenge on the Chef after Chef treats his helper like dirt. Told in the voice of the helper alternating with the rice cooker, this short story will produce giggles and spit takes as you cheer for the rice cooker and hope Ryu keeps his promise.

If the rest of the author's work is anything like this, I eagerly await it... in the meantime, I just patted our rice cooker ;)
Ilonita50
I received this e-book for honest review.

The cover says it all! Rice cookers are so popular to be used in Japan.
The short story book brings the reader from a different perspective to the life. It was funny, fast read, great language and the way the story revealed how one smart rice cooker can actually record everything that happens in the place around and one day have enough of slamming door machine that his owner never cleaned to decide to speak up with the trainee who has been quite opposite..
J.
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy, myth
It's very sweet and heart-warming. It's actually the first story I read from SJ Pajonas. And now I'm going to check out her Nogiko series.

I thought it was going to be a bit ominous, but the story was great - a friendship between Ryu, the underpaid aspiring chef, and the similarly oft-mistreated rice cooker. They bond over their miserable fate at the hands of The Chef, and hatch a plan to escape his employment.

It was a nice and happy ending, with a brief look into Japanese food culture.

Gina Smith
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought this was such a creative story. Ryu is working in a restaurant under a chef who constantly berates and belittles him. Ryu would like to learn more skills but is treated like a lowly dishwasher. The rice cooker which is also mistreated by the chef begins to talk to Ryu and starts to give him the chef's secrets. Can Ryu improve his station in life? I found this quick to read story very entertaining!
Diane Burton
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love these charming short stories where inanimate objects (like bicycles and rice cookers) can communicate with humans. The Japanese believe the gods live in all things. If you listen, you might hear them talk. Ryu works in the kitchen of a chef who is only nice to customers--definitely not to his staff. The rice cooker believes in Ryu and helps him believe in himself.
Ann Luna
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is was a nice short story. The friendship between Ryu and the rice cooker was nice, and it was great reading about Japanese meal prep. It was a short, but satisfying experience into Japanese folklore and friendship.
Elle
Mar 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was intrigued by the title, who doesn’t want to read about a vengeful rice cooker? But as I read I started to care for the rice cooker, Ryu and their plight. Funny and heart-wrenching, this well crafted story and perfect for everyone.
Aisha-Kimberly Hashmi
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow!!! A box set of books, this was among one I downloaded for free.... what a cute story! I learned a little about Japan, and read all of the stories in the set. Will be looking for more from this author!!!!
Babydoclaz
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Charming short story!
Annika Barranti Klein
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: shorts
An adorable story told, in alternating viewpoints, by a disgruntled rice cooker and a frustrated chef's apprentice, Rice Cooker Revenge is something of a darker Ratatouille.
Gerald Sessions
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The morel of this short is treat your people and equipment with respect. Trainee and rice cooker team up to get revenge on mean chef. Talking apliances- have had jobs this would have been great help
Elizabeth Sullivan
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Adorable

That was one of the sweetest stories I've ever read about an appliance. It's imaginative and full of heart. I loved it.
Laz the Sailor
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short, ya
A clever short story. Fun to read, and well crafted.
Bianca
Jun 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Super cute short story!

I love my rice cooker, but not this much. Hahahaha!
Amanda Williams
Jul 04, 2016
Rashida
May 05, 2018
**Sign-up for S. J. Pajonas's New Releases mailing list**

Stephanie (S. J.) is a writer, knitter, amateur astrologer, Capricorn, and Japanophile. She loves foxes, owls, sushi, yoga pants, Evernote, and black tea. When she’s not writing, she’s thinking about writing or spending time outside, unless it’s winter. She hates winter. Someday she’ll own a house in both hemispheres so she can avoid the s

Kami No Sekai Short Story Series (5 books)
  • Washing Statue Wanderlust (Kami No Sekai Short Story Series #2)
  • Mamachari Matchmaker  (Kami No Sekai Short Story Series #3)
  • Vigilante Slimming Scanner (Kami No Sekai #4)
  • Secret Keeping Sakura