Start by marking “Writing the Fiction Synopsis: A Step by Step Approach” as Want to Read:
Writing the Fiction Synopsis: A Step by Step Approach

Writing the Fiction Synopsis: A Step by Step Approach

Walk through the process of writing a synopsis of your book, from targeting your market, to adding tone, to tightening by choosing just the right words. Learn how to write the synopsis to develop your book's theme, determine what elements of plot and character should be included, choose which method to use to begin your synopsis, and format it properly.

Using movies as exam

Published December 31st 1998 by Gryphon Books for Writers (first published July 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Writing the Fiction Synopsis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing the Fiction Synopsis

Tara L. Campbell
Apr 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
I like the fact that the author makes few assumptions about the reader's (writer's) knowledge, and lays the process out clearly. Even if you know some, or all, of the rules, the content is quick to move through so you don't feel frustrated by rehashed information. And some of that rehashing is warranted anyway: there's a lot to remember, some of which is easily forgotten.

The book is designed as a work-along with several examples from multiple genres that makes the information learned applicable
Carbunkle Flux
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book that I think should be required reading for anyone looking to publish a novel.

It isn't easy to take 80,000+ words and condense it to two pages, one page or even a paragraph. This book gives you all of the advice and tools you will need to do exactly that.

As a fore-warning, it was written in the 90s. So it makes some dated references to ink ribbons, typewriters and mail-in manuscripts. But the advice here is timeless. Each chapter deals with a specific worksheet that help
Elizabeth Ellen
Being a less-than-stellar synopsis writer, I searched long and hard for a resource like this. Plenty of books list ways to write a synopsis; this one has EXAMPLES. The reproduceable worksheet pages force the development of necessary elements not just for the synopsis, but for the novel. Examples include both long and short forms of synopses, annotated to correspond to worksheet elements.
Tobin Elliott
Sep 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A great, simple, short and, most of all, helpful book on how to write a synopsis for your novel. Filled with great advice, proven best practices, as well as illustrative examples and even worksheets to assist you with working up your own synopses... seriously, what more could you want?

A great book that delivers exactly what it promises to deliver.
Ann
Jan 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very practical book on synopsis writing. My only qualm (hence 4 stars) is the use of movies as examples rather than books. Movies aren't the same as books. I know a lot of "how-to" writing books use movies for examples because everyone has seen them... but we're writers! Isn't there a set of iconic books people can use as examples rather than movies?

But other than that, great how-to book. :-)
Paul
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
A thorough, step-by-step guide to writing a synopsis. The author demonstrates the process by drafting synopses to 3 well-known movies, and provides a series of forms so that you can prepare your own synopsis in a clear and organized way.
Ron
Sep 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers
Shelves: writing
As the title implies, Pam takes readers step-by-step through preparing a winning synopsis of their work.
Jude Bown
Fancy Ruff-wagner
Jul 07, 2016
John Pennington
Apr 12, 2015
I've been a reader all my life, starting out with fairy tales and graduating to reading everything in the house when I grew older, including my parents' romances, mysteries, science fiction, fantasy, and action/adventure.

If a writer can combine romance and humor with a fantasy, science fiction, or paranormal element, I'm hooked. Add action/adventure, and it's even better!

Since I couldn't find quit