Start by marking “Pyromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pyromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts, #1)

Pyromancist

(Seven Forbidden Arts #1)

When you play with fire, you get burned.

At the same time as mysterious fires commence to rage through Clelia d’Ambois’ home village in Brittany, France, she starts sleepwalking. Daughter of a Japanese orphan, Clelia’s heritage is riddled with dark secrets that threaten anyone she loves. In a recurring nightmare she sees Josselin, the haunted man who abandoned their village
Published March 19th 2015 by Mélange Books

To ask other readers questions about Pyromancist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pyromancist

Talia (Red Hot Ink)
ARC kindly offered by the author in exchange for an honest review

Another great book of a series I'm quickly becoming addicted to.

I believe the true star of this book to be Josselin. His character is complex, endearing and impulsive. He's a tortured soul who doesn't think he's worthy of Clelia's love. Clelia herself is a nice character, but in the end I got a little tired of her. I was expecting a bit more growth on her part, for her to show her claws so to speak. Anyway, those two have real chem
Donna Sweeney
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 "Baby light my fire stars" from me !

Gah, I am LOVING this series.....this is Clelia and Josselin's book. They grew up in the same town, Josselin being 4 years older had his eye's (and other anatomy parts) on other females in the area, but Clelia always crushed on him.

Fast forward 9 years and some weird stuff is happening in the town they live. Josselin has many years prior left and joined a specialist task force charged with investigating and managing paranormal events....we good so far ?.

Well
So, I Read This Book Today
Want to blame a bad translation for the staccato delivery,

I want to blame a bad translation . . . ? Pyromancist by Charmaine Pauls is one of those odd-birds that I find it very difficult to review. While there are many 5-star reviews out there for the book, I find it difficult to agree. Ms. Pauls is an interesting woman, without a doubt, who has enjoyed wide-ranging travels and homes, from her birthplace in Bloemfontein, South Africa to university in Potchestroom, then life in France. Today, sh
Nicole
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs

ARC kindly provided by the author

4,5 "hot as fire" stars from me

What a great story, i really enjoyed this book! That's the second book i read from the
author and i must say The seven forbidden arts series are a very interesting and unique
paranormal-romance world. Pyromancist is the first one of the series (Loving the enemy is the prequel)
Clelia d’Ambois is an orphan with Japanese heritage she lives in a village in Brittany, France,
she starts sleepwalking when the same time fires commer

Debbie
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Independent Reviewer for Paranormal Romance and Authors That Rock.

OH MY WORD! A slow burn, in every sense of the word!!

Clelia was bought up by her grandfather in a little village in France. Someone, or something, is burning that village, house by house. Clelia has dreams, nightmares and one of those dreams steps off a helicopter and drugs her. Josselin returns to his home village to chase his own ghosts, and those of Clelia's.

Together they must stop a monster.

Taking a while to get going, this b
D.M.
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the second book i have read by Charmaine Paul and I have to say this was another enjoyable read. She has a unique style which is addictive.

This is a paranormal romance book with an original idea. Clelia is from a village in France and already knows there is something mysterious surrounding her and her family. She finds herself sleepwalking and with the mystery fires starting around the area she begins to think is it her starting them or not. She is haunted by Josselin who has returned t
Eleni Achilleopoulou
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
This is the first book of the series and I have to say it's an addictive story! It has love, alpha male, magic, drama, angst and leaves you with a warm feeling after the last page of the book.
Clelia lived all her life in a small village and was raised by her grandfather. When fires star to burn the village, she starts seeing dreams with flames and...Josselin. Joss left the village nine years ago but she never forgot the crash she had on him. Now, he came back and he is hunting her. There is a my
Zita
Nov 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-arcs
Emotional, suspenseful paranormal romance…

This is the first book in the Seven Forbidden Arts series which can be read as a stand-alone.

In this unique world the author has created there are people who can control the elements living among normal humans, their origins going back to a time when there was magic in the world. They practice arts that are forbidden and those that use them for evil purposes must be eliminated. A paranormal task force was created to seek out such individuals.

Having fled
Lynn Worton
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Seven Forbidden Arts series. I loved it!

Clelia d’Ambois is a fascinating character. I really liked her. She is kind and loving, but hides a dark secret. Her mother was a firestarter. Fires begin breaking out in the village and Clelia is terrified that she's the one causing them.

Josselin de Arradon is also a fascinating character. I liked him a lot too, but found his jealousy and possessiveness to be a little off putting. He is the leader of a team of a paranormal cr
Ronnie
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review is for all five of the stories in this series.
Seven Forbidden Arts. Seven stories, fourteen people all of them manipulated by one man. He does it to save the world but make no mistake Cain Jones will do what he has to so that these special people will join his organization and save the world!

Charmain Pauls is a masterful storyteller, she draws you into each of these stories.

Each of these stories covers one of the forbidden arts, at least the first five anyway.

Pyromancist is the st
Caroline
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pyromancist is the story of a young woman named Clelia. Her mother, who died in childbirth with Clelia, was an oddity in the town—a Japanese woman who was abandoned in the village as a child—and said to be a witch, due to the mysterious fires that began upon her arrival. Fast forward many years and we find Clelia, now in her early 20’s, living with her grandfather in the village in which she was raised.

Josselin was just a boy when Clelia first met him. A few years her senior, she developed quit
Ruth B
Pyromancist is an intense paranormal romance with a strong tension between the main characters and a solid plot.

It all begins when a series of fires threats the village and Clelia is afraid of being the one behind them. Add the return of the sexy, mysterious Josselin de Arradon. With his long hair, killer body and a macho alpha personality, he comes to rock her world and present her a new reality.

Clelia is not the typical heroin, not only for her personality but also physically. A Japanese desce
Victoria Rainey
A fiery complex tale!

Pyromancist is the first book in the Seven Forbidden Arts series by Charmaine Pauls.

The beginning of the story leaves you intrigued as to how this book will turn out. By the end of the first chapter, I was excited to finish the book. The author did a good job of bringing the reader in to the world she created. The world she created was very realistic, however I had a hard time telling when this story takes place. The pace of the story was a bit slow at some points and fast i
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
This story starts with Clelia waking up in the woods. She is safe, as she has her wolf-dogs protecting her, but she is worried that she may be the cause behind the multitude of fires that have started recently. There is a strong bond between her and Erwan, her grandfather. The story takes a twist when it is Erwan who is suspected of causing the fires. More than just the police are interested, and Erwan makes the decision that both he and Clelia are going to disappear. Clelia doesn't get very far ...more
Bella
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5stars
Pyromancist is a book part of Forbidden art series. We can see that author is from South Africa and part France by her stay writing is so much different than American writing. And I don’t mean this in a bad way. I had really mixed feelings about the book. It starts light with Cleice and her life story and when her teenage crush comes back in her home town. But because of the fires and her past she must run away. But Joseliness team abducts her. And I thought here comes adventure but no.
Erika Pazos
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
***Note: Book provided by Author in exchange for an honest review***

“You saved me. In more ways than one. My life is yours, forever. My heart belongs to you.Only you. You make my body and soul whole. You have bewitched me and now I can’t live without you. Will you marry me, little witch?”

That was the mother of all proposals!!!!!!

This is the second book I read by this author and I am not disappointed. I like her writing style and the book is a perfect mix of romance, sex and adventure. I fell in
Becky Rendon
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's probably weird to admit I had The Prodigy's "Firestarter" playing on loop in my mind while reading this, but I admit to being weird.

I am late to the party on this series. I saw the newest releases teasers and had to have it. But I realized I needed to catch up first, so here I am.

So let's see:

We have a childhood crush
An untouched woman with desires that cause... trouble
fires everywhere with no reason
sleepwalking
and secrets that could change it all

Pyromancist is a sexy novel about a specia
Louise
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is the first book in the Seven Forbidden Arts series although technically there is a novella prequel to this story that starts it off amazingly well.

As for this book it is a suspenseful, sexy, paranormal and exciting read. It centres around two characters who have grown up in the same small village in France and it is a village that is literally going up in flames.

Clelia has a secret and worries about who is actually starting all these fires. Josselin is part of a crime force that has broug
Michelle
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Paranormal romance that starts slow and picks up pace for an action packed finish.
Pyromancist is book 1 of the Seven Forbidden Arts by Charmaine Pauls. A paranormal romance that starts slow with the pace building to an action packed conclusion. It is a well edited and smooth read. The story is set mainly in France with Clelia and Josselin characters working to overcome personal insecurities to develop a passionate relationship between them. The paranormal and romance aspects of the story are wel
Daniel
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually it should be 4.5 stars, but well.
I really loved the storyline, the way the characters are played out against each other and the introduction of the paranormal aspect.
While we get the idea of the fire-part, we get to know also a bit of the other ones, that will be coming in the rest of the series.
The star went away, because I hated the way how Josselin acted with Clelia. If you love someone, you don't keep on teasing them with a certain name they hate. And you don't have to put it in so
Lauren
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a highly entertaining story about a young woman who is pushed away by her family for her safety. We learn she has the ability to create fire and is wanted my an evil man to obtain this power. The story is fast paced and has multiple characters that each have different abilities. It's a unique paranormal story line that I quite enjoyed. My only complaint is the main male characters name, it sounded feminine to me, so it took me a second to place him in my mind each time I heard it. I am l ...more
Debbie
Mar 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is one amazing book to read. It is well written by the author.

This book will keep you on the edge of your seat. I personally couldn't put the book down.

I loved the whole book but my favorite character in the book was Clelia. She had a dark heritage and that effected everyone that she ever loved. It did contain suspense, in which I like in a book.

You seriously need to get this book and read for yourself. There is no way you will be disappointed. If you love hot steamy romance, hot sex and su
Roz Ward
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I went into this blind, having no cue what this book or the rest of the series was about. The names were a little off putting to start with as I had no idea how to pronounce some of them, but very early in I was hooked. The story was unique and enticing from the start as well as being detailed enough to give a big picture. The ending for me was a little of an anti-climax after all the build up but it was good none the less.
Molly
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story very much. The main character, Clelia, gets prepositioned by a man but she fights him off in a great exchange that shows her potential. Throughout the story she becomes even more likable. The author has some interesting ideas for this series, as the title promises. Quite an intriguing paranormal angle and believable and steamy romance for those who like it hot.
Not everything about this book is perfect but it is a pretty good read.
Vyrissi
May 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A seamlessly written and gripping story, well worth the read. I really like to see a strong female lead character and it was a treat to watch Clelia grow from the shy, passive character she started as into the much stronger and more confident woman she became as she embraced her own unique power.
Review copy provided via Reading Alley in exchange for an honest review.
Renay
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ray2015
What a great story about a daughter of a Japanese orphan who has to leave her family because she has the ability to create fire and is wanted to obtain this power. What makes this an entertaining fast-paced book so good is all the multiple characters have different abilities. Yes, it's a cool book!
Shelly
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fly by your seat book. It has a lot of action but a lot of sad parts to it as well. There was conquering your past and finding out what you can and can't live without. This series is going to be amazing. would recommend to all.
Christa
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Won this book in giveaway.. Loved it!!! It one of my new fave books to read!!!!
Sandra Leblanc
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a five star series y'all won't be disappointed I promise.
  • Feeling Death (The Death Trilogy #1)
  • His Witch to Keep (Keepers of the Veil, #2)
  • Lunangelique's Sleeping Gods
  • Exotic Racing Crusader (Exotic Racers #1)
  • Skin Deep (Eternal Forces #1)
  • Cover Him With Darkness
  • Passionate Pursuit (Dangerous Desires #3)
  • A Veil of Glass and Rain (A Touch of Cinnamon, #1)
  • The Gramm Curse (Night Watchmen, #0.5)
  • Tempting Trouble
  • Darkside Sun (Mortal Machine, #1)
  • Hunted by the Past: PSY-IV Teams Book 1
  • Ocean's Gift (Ocean's Gift, #1)
  • The Lure of Shapinsay
  • The Dark Night Whispers (The Whispers #2)
  • Fever: Many are Born, Few are Reborn (Wolf Sirens, #2)
  • Teacher
  • Aversion (The Mentalist Series, #1)
Charmaine Pauls was born in Bloemfontein, South Africa. She obtained a degree in Communication at the University of Potchestroom, and followed a diverse career path in journalism, public relations, advertising, communications, photography, graphic design, and brand marketing. Her writing has always been an integral part of her professions.

After relocating to Chile with her French husband, she ful

Seven Forbidden Arts (10 books)
  • Loving the Enemy (Seven Forbidden Arts, #0)
  • Aeromancist: The Beginning (Seven Forbidden Arts, #2)
  • Aeromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts, #3)
  • Hydromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts #4)
  • Geomancist (Seven Forbidden Arts #5)
  • Necromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts, #6)
  • Scapulimancist (Seven Forbidden Arts #7)
  • Chiromancist (Seven Forbidden Arts, #8)
  • Man (Seven Forbidden Arts #9)