Start by marking “The Five Bells and Bladebone (Richard Jury, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Five Bells and Bladebone (Richard Jury, #9)

The Five Bells and Bladebone (Richard Jury #9)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,806 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
When a dismembered corpse is found in the compartments of an antique secretaire a abattant, Marshall Trueblood, recipient of the precious piece of furniture, is the first to protest: "I bought the desk, not the body, send it back." Who would want to kill Simon Lean, the greedy nephew of the wealthy Lady Summerston? Leave it to Superintendent Richard Jury of Scotland Yard t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 334 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by NAL (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Bells and Bladebone, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Perhaps this is just not a mystery one can read whilst reading 3 other books. The vast character list was confusing, and I confess that I was quite lost by the end of the book - too confused to care about the solution to the crime.
Deb
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-books-read
I always look forward to reading Martha Grimes, and I was especially eager to shake off the taste of an inane mystery/romance I'd just finished. This 9th installment in the Richard Jury series started off really well. Jury is finally getting some vacation time, spending his holiday in Long Piddlington with his friend Melrose Plant. All of the usual characters are here, including Aunt Agatha who is suing Mr.Jurvis, the local butcher over an accident she caused. Of course his holiday plans are com ...more
Laurie Andres
May 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Meh. I got a bit lost about halfway through but kept reading hoping I get back on track. I did but I could have just as well stopped at that halfway point. Not very interesting or well crafted.
Jeanette
Feb 11, 2008 rated it liked it
It has been more than a year since I last had a visit with one of my favorite detectives, Richard Jury. The 9th book in Martha Grimes mystery series has Jury heading off for a little R&R in Long Piddleton with friend and sidekick Melrose Plant. Of course, his vacation quickly comes to an end when a body is found inside a desk just acquired by a local antiques dealer.
All of the regular characters are back in this book, with perhaps just a little less of Sergeant Wiggens than I would have like
Pamela Mclaren
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries, comedic
A wonderful story as all Martha Grimes characters gather. Jury is in town and on hand as antiquarian Marshall Townsend receives a delivery of a piece of furniture -- only thing? There's a body in it.

The body is Simon Lean -- a known philanderer who is married to a Hannah, wealthy, laid back and apparently about to divorce him. Tracking down clues and trying to make connections, Jury comes up with little to lead him to the solution. But he continues to try and gradually, things begin to come tog
Trudy Pomerantz
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Martha Grimes novel that I have read - I picked it up second-hand while on holidays down in Chattanooga. As you can see by my 4-star rating, I did enjoy it though at times I found it a little confusing trying to keep track of all the different characters. This however was probably more a function of trying to read a series starting at #9 rather than back at the beginning. I would certainly consider reading more of these.
Teddi
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
100% better than the last 2 books. The flow was much smoother although the author is bit hard to follow if you don't take your time. I was very happy to see this one take place back in the original village with all the original characters.
I think one really must read this series in order to make sense of it all. These aren't books for skimmers or those used to the easy read cozys that prevail.
KC
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Another great Martha Grimes book. See I am the Only Running Footman for a complete description of Martha Grimes books.
Janice
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Richard Jury is on holiday visiting Melrose Plant. They happen to be checking out a new piece of furniture Marshall Trueblood has purchased when they discover the body of Simon Lean, grandson-in-law of a wealthy neighbor. Simon seems more the type to commit murder than vice versa. The greedy man married for money, but never let marriage get in the way of his love life. Around the same time, Sadie Diver is also stabbed to death. Sadie who just came into a bit of money so she could share with her ...more
Yael
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: in-english, novel, polar
As usual, I enjoyed how the author manages to involve pubs in each murder...
I enjoy the company of Melrose Plant and Jury.
(view spoiler)
Kathy
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
This mystery takes place chiefly in the village of Long Piddleton, so the characters that have appeared from time to time in other novels are fleshed out and made more interesting. An interesting take on the doppelganger, and ends up with a question mark.
Katie Hilton
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a complicated double murder that, at first, doesn't seem to involve the same suspects. But Supt. Jury sorts it all out, ably attended by his growing group of zany friends. I am growing to love this motley crew more each book.
Selja Purovaara
Kiintoisat lähtökohdat mutta vähän sekava perusdekkari. Mökkilukemiseksi oikein mainio!
Dorothy
Well, in a very, very long series such as Martha Grimes' Richard Jury, I guess we can't expect every entry to be a winner. This one was a bit of a letdown, which actually surprised me because it started out as if it would be very entertaining, but somewhere around the two-thirds mark, it seemed to lose its way and the last third really meandered around trying to find that way once again. But it never did. In the end, I would award it two-and-a-half stars, but since I can't do a half-star here, I ...more
Rosie
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent mystery - because of the "english" terms I missed some of the innuendo.

I would consider reading it again - lots of twists and turns and characteristics and personalities.

Fun - not a thriller, a detective story.
Katie
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm not a mystery reader but since Martha Grimes was speaking at Politics & Prose (DC area bookstore) and I was going, I figured I should read one of her books. This title was the only thing I could get a hold of on short notice. I was not drawn to its plot initially, premise or writing style. I did like the setting and some of the characters were charming, funny, &/or intriguing. However, others were a bit muddly to follow or just a bit overwrought/stereotypical for my taste. Of course, ...more
Marfita
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mysteries
E
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
DNF. It seems that I have run into a string of dissatisfactory books lately that I start and don't find compelling enough to finish. Some of this dissatisfaction is no doubt coming from me, but not this many in a row? I usually enjoy this series and have been reading it off and on for years. This book, however, seemed very slow to get going and, as so often with the Grimes books, I feel like the characters, with the exception of Jury, never change. Grimes trots them out in the same way for each ...more
Vicky
Sep 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
"I always look forward to reading Martha Grimes, and I was especially eager to shake off the taste of an inane mystery/romance I'd just finished. This 9th installment in the Richard Jury series started off really well. Jury is finally getting some vacation time, spending his holiday in Long Piddlington with his friend Melrose Plant. All of the usual characters are here, including Aunt Agatha who is suing Mr.Jurvis, the local butcher over an accident she caused. Of course his holiday plans are co ...more
Kamas Kirian
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two wonderful murder mysteries, that unfortunately didn't get tied together until halfway through the book. Both lines were well written and kept you guessing about who the responsible party was right up to the end. I liked all the characters except Theo Wrenn Browne. I felt quite sorry for Tommy. Hopefully he was able to escape his aunt/uncle after a couple of more years when he became of age. Plenty of Melrose to keep me happy, but could always be more. I could have stood a little more Carole ...more
Kathie
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite so far of the Richard Jury series. I admit it. I've skipped some of the series that were rated by Goodreads readers as not as good. I don't think I've missed much. Ms. Grimes seems to blow hot and cold sometimes. But this one was terrific. And I didn't feel as if the answers were provided too easily. I like to have to work to figure out the mystery, but I did have my suspicions. It's always fun to find out that you've been on the right track. I was glad of the small part Agatha and h ...more
Sherry
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Bk 9 in RICHARD Jury series. Was a bit more explicit and gory than to my taste, but the murder suspects keep turning round and round after the big spending, womanizing spouse of the countess' granddaughter turns up dismembered in an antique chest of drawers sold to Trueblood by the Countess. Dopplinger look alike mistress, wife about to divorce him, seedy London cops, decorators and pub owners all add to the ever turning problems of determining the murderer.

Deliciously enigmatic.
On to book 10.
Patricia Burroughs
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'd already read this one, possibly more than once, but when I decided to listen to the audiobook I was ready to settle in for yet another splendidly read tale from Steve West, who has done all the Inspector Jury books I've listened to so far.

Thing is, I kept going to sleep while listening. Well, I would, since I plug in the earbuds when I go to bed. And the end doesn't make sense to me. I keep re-listening, and I'm still not quite sure i know what happened. I may have to reread it, to be sure.
Rae
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2012
I adore Grimes' regular characters (Richard Jury, Melrose Plant, Sergeant Wiggins, and Aunt Agatha). The more of her mysteries I read, the more these people seem like old friends of mine.

In this novel, Jury is trying to solve two dissimilar murders that he is sure are connected. The plot is a bit more convoluted than usual and I thought it was slow-going until about three-quarters of the way through when it picked up a bit. And then the ending is quite ambiguous.

Not my favorite so far, but my
Avinash
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
Martha Grimes has recently triumphed as my champion Saviour From The Blues (alexander mccall smith and georgette heyer were the other strong contenders). And horror of horrors, she fast promises to replace Agatha Christie as my favourite murder writer ever.

Lovely characters, brilliant writing and plots filled to the brim with gloriously unnecessary detail.

Also, I have been convinced of the superiority of the british countryside as a setting for murder. Now when I plan my next murder, I'll first
Kelsey Hanson
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This book was hard to get through. I seem to be in a book slump lately, a lot of my favorite mystery authors are letting me down. This novel had so many characters, many with very similar personalities, that it was hard to keep track of the different characters and their motives. The ending was also very ambiguous which sometimes works for me but not this time. I found this one pretty boring with too much emphasis on the uninteresting characters who will only appear in this single novel and not ...more
Melody
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am re reading this series and am enjoying it just as much as I did years ago when I first read it. In this book the philandering husband of an heiress is found in a secretarie abbatant which the local antiques dealer paid a small fortune for. Meanwhile in London a young woman's body is found along the Thames. Amazingly she looks just like the heiress. Was there a plot to do away with the heiress? Did the heiress turn that plot to her own advantage! An excellent mystery.
Julia
Jun 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I think I am not smart enough for Martha Grimes. This ending was not quite as ambiguous as the one in I Am The Only Running Footman, but it wasn't as clear as I would like. Maybe this is why Murder, She Wrote always has the corny scene in which the culprit explains how he dunit. I still enjoyed the book and I'm pretty clear on what happened, there was just one detail that I didn't quite understand the significance of.
Kyrie
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Giving it 4 stars for sheer confusion as to who did it. I'm still not convinced I know which one did it.

For future reference, this one is the one with sweet teenage boy who plays Waltzing Matilda on his harmonica, the very confusing identities and where Aunt Agatha sues a butcher because she trips over a model of a pig.

And what is it with women named Agatha? I swear I dislike Plant's Aunt Agatha as much as I dislike Agatha Raisin!
Writerlibrarian
This was an average, somewhat confused and kinda outmatched Jury in this tale of stolen identities (more than one, like three). The dual crime scenes one in Plant's village and one in London adds to the sense that Jury is definitely not in control at all in this one. Poor Jury, he goes on vacations and ends up investigating anyway.

Light but in a confused plot and maybe Grimes tried too hard to be clever in this one.
  • For the Sake of Elena (Inspector Lynley, #5)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • Arms And The Women (Dalziel & Pascoe, #18)
Martha Grimes is an American author of detective fiction.

She was born May 2 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to D.W., a city solicitor, and to June, who owned the Mountain Lake Hotel in Western Maryland where Martha and her brother spent much of their childhood. Grimes earned her B.A. and M.A. at the University of Maryland. She has taught at the University of Iowa, Frostburg State University, and Montg
More about Martha Grimes...

Richard Jury (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • The Man With a Load of Mischief (Richard Jury, #1)
  • The Old Fox Deceiv'd (Richard Jury, #2)
  • The Anodyne Necklace (Richard Jury, #3)
  • The Dirty Duck (Richard Jury, #4)
  • Jerusalem Inn (Richard Jury, #5)
  • Help the Poor Struggler (Richard Jury #6)
  • The Deer Leap (Richard Jury, #7)
  • I Am the Only Running Footman (Richard Jury, #8)
  • The Old Silent (Richard Jury, #10)
  • The Old Contemptibles (Richard Jury, #11)