Start by marking “A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders” as Want to Read:
A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders

A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders

A Leadership Network Publication

Spiritual leaders must become experts in matters of the heart. They must learn to discern God at work in their own lives, shaping their hearts to embrace the particular ministries to which they are called. A Work of Heart shows how God prepares leaders today just as he did in biblical times-and how God creates these leaders in order to shar
Published March 24th 2000 by Jossey-Bass (first published March 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Work of Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Work of Heart

Start your review of A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders
Benton
Apr 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
As a Christian leader I was hopeful that this book would be gospel-centered and a good exposition of leadership in regards to God's sovereignty and our responsibility. It was not.

McNeal made some good observations about how we are influenced by our life circumstances; however, he never even came close to connecting the dots to how the gospel of Jesus Christ transforms and creates in us a new heart. Nor did he explore the full measure of God's Word as crucial to being a "spiritual leader." I'm j
Daniel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
McNeal, in his admirable attempt to observe and identify the qualities of great spiritual leadership biblically employs the narrative of Moses, David, Jesus, and Paul as case studies for behaviors, circumstance, and disciplines worthy of interpretive emulation. The success of this projected is unfortunately undermined by what I perceive to be preconceived notions and characteristics of leadership that McNeal too often imposes onto the characters he is using as evidence. Eisegesis creeps in far t ...more
Israel Desta
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
The author does a good job of highlighting key areas with amd through which God moulds us to be spiritual leaders. There are insightful and biblical comments on each area. I would have liked to see more sysytematic look of these area within the bible stories he shared. Furthermore, i was hoping that the author concludes by saying that spiritual leadership is for every christian. It seems like the author believes it is only for select people, which i don't agree with.
Ingrid O.
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Quote: “Leaders in touch with heaven can move earth”
― Reggie McNeal, A Work of Heart: Understanding How God Shapes Spiritual Leaders

What I liked most: The author’s challenge to leaders! It really pushes and stretches the reader to step out of their comfort zone and really evaluate their motives for service! I love how he used the lives of Moses, David, Paul and Jesus to us as a model we should follow.

What I liked least:

Rating: 5
Thomas Christianson
Written in 2000, it has some insights which are useful today, and other parts which have not aged well (the comparisons between Baby Boomers and Generation Xers are a notable example). As a bonus, I found the enormous humblebrag in his preface hilarious since the whole book is about being a spiritually and emotionally healthy leader.
Tyler Timmer
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great explanation of what changes our leadership and how as well as how to overcome that and serve God.
John Gardner
Feb 24, 2010 rated it did not like it
In theory, this should have been a good book. It had endorsements from a lot of prominent leaders, and it’s premise is very interesting. The author breaks the book up into two parts. In the first, he examines the leadership style and qualities of four Biblical leaders: Moses, David, Paul, and Jesus. In the second, he applies what was gleaned from these leaders to our own lives, breaking these qualities down into six alliterative (he is Baptist, after all) categories: Culture, Call, Community, Co ...more
Bob
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Bob by: Teresa Turner
Shelves: religion
I've read very few self-help books, but this one seemed well thought out, organized in a way that made the suggestions memorable, and posed practical exercises. Little of it was uniquely relevant to spiritual growth or leadership, as his vocabulary, often drawn from business, politics and the military, makes clear. This is reasonable enough, but what disappointed me was the American Protestant assumptions underlying the whole. McNeal assumes the reader knows what to do to follow God's plan for ...more
Chad
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. Had a few issues with it getting too real for me but I like books that challenge my mind and my heart.

I have a lot of earmarked pages and a lot of underlined stuff.

Reggie starts out with the stories of Moses, David, Jesus and Paul. We walk alongside them through their lives and consider all that went into preparing them to lead.

Reggie then asks us to consider their subplots: culture, call, community, communion, conflict and the commonplace and how each of these areas impac
Doug
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Great book for anyone in leadership. I was required to read this book for my internship with Young Life, but it has been one of the most insightful books for me to read about being a leader. Specifically how God shapes the hearts of Leaders too. I would also add, that this book definetly has the voice of corporate America. I had to read some leadership books for being a CEO type and the way they talk about being a spiritual leader is almost the same as a CEO of a fortune 500 company.
Patricia Mayer
Aug 23, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book has some pretty sound theology and shows how God shaped early leaders of the church. Through the book you explore Moses, David, Paul, and Jesus and see how God shaped each of their hearts to be a leader in ministry. The last part of the book leads you as you examine the same factors and how God is shaping you to spread the Gospel.
Stephanie
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book gets to the heart of what it means to be a servant-leader. I really like the way the author uses Biblical leaders to help the reader understand both positive and negative traits of a spiritual leader.
Susie
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christian leaders
Recommended to Susie by: Paul Richardson
A great book on how the losses, trials, and difficulties of life and ministry are all part of what God uses to form Christian leaders into disciples of Christ who can be effective in service. A wonderful book to read and go through with fellow leaders.
Tim
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: leadership
The author demonstrates through the lives of Moses, David, Paul, and Jesus how God shapes a leader in the context of their culture, call, community, communion, conflict, and the commonplace.
A refreshing break from practical how-to books.
Reinhard
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was an intriguing with good insights for any person in leadership of any sort. I especially found the section on communion very helpful in my own life. A lot of life lessons can be learned by reading this book.
Courtney Huskisson
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
So good! Gets to the heart, and develops the core of a leader. Highly recommend.
Chris
Mar 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christian leaders
Shelves: leadership
Helps Christian leaders take a look inside so they don't become another haggard.
Amy Young
Dec 31, 2007 rated it really liked it
read again Jan 09. Good stuff.
read again Jan '10 -- good reminders for a difficult season of life.
Jt
Feb 19, 2016 added it
good stuff.
Karla Goforth Abreu
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
McNeal writes with conviction and gives the reader more than just information. I recommend this book to those in any type of ministry.
Edward
Nov 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A must read for any Christian leader.
Gary Pettet
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent summary of how the Lord uses our circumstances to shape us for ministry!
Cindy Moyer
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was a very good book. Could only read a section at a time as there was a lot to think about in each section of the book.
D Laudolff
Louis
Aug 16, 2012
Brian Pannell
Nov 06, 2012

• Building Leaders: Blueprints for Developing Leadership at Every Level of Your Church
  • Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box
  • The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction (The Pastoral series, #4)
  • The Art of Biblical Narrative
  • Evidence for the Rapture: A Biblical Case for Pretribulationism
  • Till We Have Faces
  • Radical: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream
  • The End of Youth Ministry?: Why Parents Don't Really Care about Youth Groups and What Youth Workers Should Do about It
  • Necessary Endings: The Employees, Businesses, and Relationships That All of Us Have to Give Up in Order to Move Forward
  • As For Me and My Crazy House: Learning to Protect Your Heart, Marriage, and Family From the Demands of Youth Ministry
  • The Presence Based Church
  • The Mission of God's People: A Biblical Theology of the Church's Mission
  • He Still Moves Stones: Everyone Needs a Miracle
  • Why Church History Matters: An Invitation to Love and Learn from Our Past
  • The Challenge of Jesus: Rediscovering Who Jesus Was and Is
  • Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University
  • Plowshares & Pruning Hooks: Rethinking the Language of Biblical Prophecy and Apocalyptic
  • Humilitas: A Lost Key to Life, Love, and Leadership
Reggie McNeal enjoys helping leaders pursue more kingdom-focused lives. He currently serves as a senior fellow for Leadership Network and city coach for GoodCities. In his consulting and speaking, Reggie draws on his experience as a pastor, denominational leader, seminary teacher, and leadership development coach for thousands of church leaders across North America and the world. His books include ...more

News & Interviews

“Leaders in touch with heaven can move earth” 4 likes
“The new and needed apologetics will differ from previous apologetic models geared at convincing people solely or even mainly from a rationalistic perspective or that begin with biblical authority. People want to see spiritual power demonstrated by transformed lives expressed in community. This is the hope people harbor. They will respond to a spiritual belief system that delivers at this point. Jesus said that the proof f discipleship to the world would be his followers’ love for one another
(John 13:35). Early observers were drawn to the Christian movement exactly for this reason (Acts 2: 44-47). Love expressed through community still transforms people and creates an attractive and compelling invitation for others to join up.”
1 likes