Start by marking “Meb For Mortals: How to Run, Think, and Eat like a Champion Marathoner” as Want to Read:
Meb For Mortals: How to Run, Think, and Eat like a Champion Marathoner

Meb For Mortals: How to Run, Think, and Eat like a Champion Marathoner

With his historic win at the 2014 Boston Marathon, Meb Keflezighi cemented his legacy as one of the great champions of long-distance running. Runners everywhere wanted to know how someone two weeks away from his 39th birthday, who had only the 15th best time going into the race, could defeat the best field in Boston Marathon history and become the first American man to win ...more
Published April 7th 2015 by Rodale

To ask other readers questions about Meb For Mortals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meb For Mortals

Mary Beth
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Were there a lot of sponsor mentions? Yes. Is it basic? Yes. But Meb's ideas on recovery and training volume re:hard balanced with easy resonated with me. It's simple, but not everything needs to be complicated. I don't understand the vitriol from other reviewers. Meb's a professional runner. He views running through a different lens and is way faster than most of us. He still shares some valuable insights with the everyday runner like me.
Katie
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was really just borderline OK. I think the title is very clever, and it is what attracted me to the book. But so much of the content was pretty brain-dead. It was like Meb was writing it aimed at kindergartners. "Have goals to motivate yourself in running". Duh. "Make sure the goals are specific." Duh. "Here's how to do a pushup". Duh.

I mean, MAYBE this would be helpful for extremely novice runners...? But who doesn't understand the concept of goals being motivating, or how to do a pus
Kristi Mangan
Dec 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Like many avid runners I adore Meb, not only because he is an outstanding athlete, but because of his tenacity and resilience, and because he also manages to be (despite what the title implies) a down-to-earth, thoughtful and kind human being. This book is a fascinating look at his training, covering every type of run as well as nutrition, mental preparation, strength training and recovery. He includes several additional tips for aging runners, such as working in cross training and greater empha ...more
David
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Got an autographed copy, so per the inscription I shall now "run to win". It was reassuring to see that I already had possession of some of the secrets (Meb uses a 9-day training microcycle rather than 7-day week; so do I! Meb takes epsom salts baths--me too! Meb does pushups with his feet elevated -- same here!), but in other respects I have a long way to go -- need to jack up my form drills about 8x for instance.

It's not an autobiography, though many points are illustrated with anecdotes from
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
A little Meb history, but mostly an advice column for runners bucketed by topic. I really mostly enjoyed this book and would recommend it to runners of all stripes. While Meb is a legend and has done what almost none of us reading this book could or would, his advice scales. What I found especially useful is his tips about using the pace you feel you're running on a recovery run to judge whether you're recovered. I also liked how in the the Kindle edition the graphics actually worked vs. being l ...more
Colleen
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports-training
Meb is a wonderful human being and phenomenal athlete. I admire him. Yet, Let me give you examples of why I found this book completely exasperating. It comes across an exercise in corporate prostitution. Within 2 paragraphs on a single page: "It's not like I suddenly became superhuman from having a sports drink and a banana, Powerbar (sponsor) or Krave Jerky (sponsor) soon after my workouts...I'll go for my cooldown job and then immediately mix 10 ounces of water with a packet of protein-enhance ...more
Alisa Wilhelm
This was a good book that collects a lot of running resoures into one place: stretching, body strength exercises, drills, all with photos of Meb illustrating how to do them properly. I come from a swimming background, so I have hundreds of swimming drills in my back pocket but zero running drill knowledge. I know that there are many free resources online for this type of thing, but it's nice to have all of it in one place.

As other people have said, there are some goofy sponsorship messages (at l
Jeni Enjaian
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: running, read-in-2015
I really enjoyed this book and downloaded the kindle version instead of purchasing the hardcover so that I could read it before Monday's running of the 2015 Boston Marathon.
Not all of the information was new to me, in fact a lot of it was not. However, Keflezighi and Douglas present the information in an engaging manner carefully tied back to Keflezighi's personal experience throughout his running career and specifically to the training leading up to his historic 2014 Boston Marathon win. Too ma
Shaun
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great step-by-step book about running and racing from a guy who knows what he's talking about. Meb won the Silver Medal in the Sydney Olympics and won the 2014 Boston Marathon. He's not a young, spring-chicken either. He went into his training routine, how he stretches, eats, rests and cross-trains. He has pictures to demonstrate the exercises and stretches he does. It's a great book to learn more about running, to become a runner or improve your skills as a runner.
Sep 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really quick, easy read, but got me thinking about a lot of actions I could take to enhance my running BEYOND the workouts. Meb did a great job explaining exactly what he does as a world-class athlete, but also suggesting how those things could be adapted for regular people who don't have the same time/resources. I thought it was incredibly realistic, while also still being inspiring.
MaryBeth Thompson
Always loved Meb and had the opportunity to meet him at the Rock and Roll expo in March. The book give good practical advice for aging runners like myself.
Lots (too much per some?) product placement- like one person reviewed, it can read like an SNL parody. I'm glad he thanked his physical therapists, a lot of his stretching advice may have come from them.
Sean O'Dwyer
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Straightforward, solid advice for runners at any level. Super easy to read.
Anh Arabe
Great motivation and tips, however not very practical for a working runner.
Matt Hooper
If you are a runner and are in any way serious about the sport of running, then you know Meb.

Meb Keflezighi is perhaps the most famous American distance runner. He's the only person in history to have won the New York City Marathon, the Boston Marathon and medaled in an Olympic Marathon. When he won New York in 2009, he became the first American man in 33 years to do so. When he won Boston in 2014 -- at the ripe old age of 39 years -- he became the first American in 31 years to do so.

You don't
Yuriy Bezsonov
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
Книга описывает подход Меба к целям, тренировкам, еде, сну восстановлению. В целом интересно. Тот кто прочитал несколько книг о беге много нового не найдет, но довольно хорошо систематизирован подход к бегу для возрастных атлетов, DOS AND DON’TS.

Думай как Меб - ставь цели, измеряемые, реалистичные, но амбициозные. Используй цели что бы стать лучше, но не впадай в депрессию если что-то не получилось. Извели урок и или дальше.

Бегай как Меб - беговая форма важна, улучшай, делай СБУ (примеры в книге
Mai Anh
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, running
Ban đầu đọc có cảm giác rất giống sách self-help dành cho runners vì cách viết khá là giống mà mình thì hơi nhạy cảm với kiểu sách này nhưng sau đó đọc thì học được nhiều kinh nghiệm có thể bỏ túi chơi môn này long term được.
Meb trở thành huyền thoại khi là người Mỹ đầu tiên có huy chương Olympic, thắng NY marathon 2009 và Boston marathon 2014 (nghe nói đã từng trở thành giấc mơ Mỹ gì gì đó). Năm ngoái 2017 thì Meb đã giã từ nghiệp chạy đua và hình như chuyển qua coach thì phải.
Sách hầu như viết
D
a fantastic primer on how to Sport like meb: covering mental training, form, racing technique, nutrition, and strength training. approachable and candid.

the most helpful section—and perhaps reason for some to purchase it for their permanent libraries—covers the dynamic and static stretches and running drills meb performs almost every day. they include photographs and step-by-step instructions, and he helpfully explains which he performs when, during which workouts.

definitely worth a read for th
Marty Coleman
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: runners, marathoners,
Shelves: paperbooks
I finished this book on the flight to Oakland to run the Oakland Marathon. I implemented his suggestions for getting ready on the morning of the race and it made a huge difference in how I felt for the entire race. As a result I achieved my goals in every category and am primed for the next phase in the fall.
It's a fantastic manual on how to properly train and race as a runner. It includes sections on everything from pre-race routines to recovery techniques, eating and nutrition, race strategy,
Billy
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meb Keflezighi wrote a very practical guidebook for running with Meb For Mortals. Since reading Meb for Mortals, I have found myself thinking about and utilizing Meb's tips as I'm running, particularly the ones about maintaining good running form. I have also adopted his warmup routine before headed out on my runs. I'd recommend this book to both the newbie runner and the experienced runner. I've run 10 marathons and found many tips in here to improve my own running.
Angela
This book was reasonably fun and a kick to read, just because it's Meb, but I would not say it was particularly revelatory as books about running go. I feel like if you are any kind of seasoned runner, you'll read it and go, "Well; yes." Though, it was entertaining, and it was fun to read about Meb's little quirks. I might more recommend it for a beginner runner, or someone who is just starting to maybe take their running a little more seriously.
Joe
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite running books. At once, light-hearted, realistic, candid, and honest this book gives great advice and a behind-the-scenes look at the training of a running legend. What makes Meb is more special is his dedication to family and the fact he’s a masters (over-40) runner. Highly recommended book for any runner, regardless of ability or aspiration.
Anne Ciccio
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Practical advice for runners of all abilities.
Well detailed novel not just how he tails but examples of how how to put it into practice for the everyday runner.
Many of the ideas have been written about before but but but to have actual routines (stretching strength and training plans) was a bonus.
Nicholas Su
Not all that practical, and sort of oddly structured, but a good perspective on training techniques used by professional runners.
Steve Locy
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read

The books shows that their is so much more to running competitively than just putting in the miles. Well worth the time spent to read it.

Anurag Sharma
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To the point. Lots of pictures. Covers pretty much all areas of running.

Would have liked it more if it went into a deeper detail.

Overall, good book to have on the shelf.
Josh
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very appealing and encouraging; I keep going back. Even if you only end up being able to use one or two of Meb's insights, it's worth it, and he's pleasant company.
Trevor
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book by a legend of running. Practical tips and insights and a bokk I will read on mumerous occasions as a reference guide too.
Lisa
Apr 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I've read on running. Meb is such a likeable person, and this comes through in the book as well. Lots of good tips that runners of all levels can use.
Kim
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic book for runners of all skill levels. Lots of beneficial advice, easy to read, great photographs, very inspiring and do-able.
Kob Croak croak
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very useful

Every topic of this book helps me get the way I want to know what the good part of the great runner .
  • Anatomy for Runners: Unlocking Your Athletic Potential for Health, Speed, and Injury Prevention
  • First Ladies of Running: 22 Inspiring Profiles of the Rebels, Rule Breakers, and Visionaries Who Changed the Sport Forever
  • 4:09:43: Boston 2013 Through the Eyes of the Runners
  • Run Faster from the 5K to the Marathon: How to Be Your Own Best Coach
  • How Bad Do You Want It?: Mastering the Psychology of Mind Over Muscle
  • Runner's World Big Book of Marathon and Half-Marathon Training: Winning Strategies, Inpiring Stories, and the Ultimate Training Tools
  • Long Mile Home: Boston Under Attack, the City's Courageous Recovery, and the Epic Hunt for Justice
  • Runner's World Run Less, Run Faster: Become a Faster, Stronger Runner with the Revolutionary FIRST Training Program
  • Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running
  • Sub 4:00: Alan Webb and the Quest for the Fastest Mile
  • Advanced Marathoning
  • A Race Like No Other: 26.2 Miles Through the Streets of New York
  • Like Wolves on the Fold: The Defence of Rorke's Drift
  • 14 Minutes: A Running Legend's Life and Death and Life
  • Two Hours: The Quest to Run the Impossible Marathon
  • Shut Up and Run: How to Get Up, Lace Up, and Sweat with Swagger
  • First in Thirst: How Gatorade Turned the Science of Sweat Into a Cultural Phenomenon
  • 101 Kruger Tales: Extraordinary Stories from Ordinary Visitors to the Kruger National Park
Mebrahtom "Meb" Keflezighi is an American athlete, specializing in long distance running. He and his family were refugees from Eritrea via Italy to the United States, when he was age 12.

He is the driving force behind the MEB Foundation, the "MEB" standing for "Maintaining Excellent Balance," which principally promotes healthy living, and other positive lifestyle choices and motivation for school-
“Most of us have enough areas in our lives where we have to meet others’ expectations. Let your running be about your own hopes and dreams.” 4 likes
“ONE OF the biggest differences between the training of world-class runners and that of recreational runners is how slowly we elites sometimes run. Let me explain. Let’s say it’s the day after a hard workout. A typical recovery run for me is 10 miles in 65 minutes. A 10-miler at an average of 6:30 per mile might sound fast, but consider it in perspective. That’s almost 2 minutes per mile slower than I can run for a half-marathon and more than 90 seconds per mile slower than my marathon race pace. For someone who runs a 3:30 marathon, which is about 8 minutes per mile, that would be like averaging a 9:30 pace on a recovery day.” 1 likes