Jump to ratings and reviews

Guarding Midnight, Canadian Muscle 1

Being the hired muscle just got a whole lot harder.....

No one knows sacrifice better than former Army Sergeant Gavin Bennett. He’s witnessed firsthand the emotional, physical and mental toll of being caught in the crossfire. Being a bouncer-slash-bodyguard may not be Gavin’s dream job, but he’s willing to do just about anything to help out family. When Gavin reports for his first day of work, he quickly discovers a woman who threatens to crack his legendary cool.

Shree Walker is on the run from a dark past she tried to shut away. Battered and broken, a happily ever after doesn’t exist for her. Ready to start fresh with a new life in a new city, she is happy dancing at the Vixen Club. She’d be even happier without the presence of the prickly new bouncer who won’t let anyone or anything get past his carefully guarded defenses. He’s a distraction she doesn’t need. And a temptation she can’t resist.

When Shree is kidnapped by the criminal mastermind hell-bent on taking the club at any cost, Gavin has to make a decision. Hold tight and continue to keep Shree at arm’s length. Or break down his walls and take a chance on something more powerful than them both: Love.

85 pages, ebook

First published March 30, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kacey Hammell

30 books127 followers
Avid Reader. Romance Author. Redhead…

Canadian-born author Kacey Hammell is definitely a book-a-holic. A romance reader from a young age, she fell in love with happily ever afters. These days, as a multi-published erotic romance author, she enjoys adding a lot of heat, sass, and emotion to the many genres she writes.

Mom of three, Kacey lives her own happily ever after with her perfect hero in Ontario, Canada.

Some of Kacey's favourite authors include: Suzanne Brockmann, JD Robb, Jaci Burton, Sara Brookes, Patricia A. Rasey, Sandra Brown, JoAnne Kenrick, Emily Cale, Jasmine Haynes, Maya Banks, Terri Schaefer, Lauren Dane, John Grisham, Cherry Adair ... to name a few.

Readers can contact Kacey at kaceyhammell@gmail.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (8%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews
Profile Image for Beckey.
1,469 reviews113 followers
March 29, 2015
Received for an honest review

Kacey's newest release doesn't disappoint. The story will pull the reader into a wanting to find what is next even though I kind of figured out a possible how earlier on but the when... Oh goodness... That was unexpected as well as few other parts...

The characters, plot and storyline was amazing, overall this was an easy contemporary romance that will have some enjoying on how the story unfolds.

five stars

Profile Image for Jody.
1,980 reviews43 followers
April 23, 2015
Ms. Hammell's Canadian Muscle series gets off to a rousing start with this exhilarating blend of suspense and eroticism. Add in a drool-worthy hero who is a born savior and an independant woman with a damaged past whose combustible connection scorches the pages and you have an exciting and fast-paced read.

As a reader who loves scarred heroes I was instantly drawn to Gavin with his limp and damaged hearing due to his wartime duty. In promise to a friend he starts working as a bouncer/bodyguard in a burlesque club that's been targeted by underworld criminals. Though Gavin doesn't like to stay in any one place for long he's determined to bring this vile villain to justice as he hates bullies and those who hurt those who are weaker. Distracting him during this new mission is the sexy and conflicted Shree who he feels an instant attraction to. Though the attraction is superficial at first he slowly grows closer to her as her past is revealed. When the enemy hits close to home Gavin will have to call on all his military training to save the one woman to finally give him a reason to stay in one place. I adored Gavin as he never let his disabilities define him, he remained the badass hero with the brawn to get the job done. He has a softer side too that was seen through his strong protective instincts that were a bit smothering at times but always came from the heart and it further endeared him to me.

Shree's an intriguing heroine that was a good match for Gavin as her strong side was an aphrodisiac to him with her damaged past calling to his protective nature. On every level he wanted her and their insta-love relationship crackled with sexual tension. Shree knows that Gavin doesn't believe in commitment which is fine by her as she'll be leaving the club as soon as she graduates. She'll enjoy what he's offering for now but not count on the future. Her past further tarnishes their future as her fears over dominant and strong-willed men leave her a bit leery of Gavin. This uncertainty put her in danger, held captive by a madman, and had me on the edge of my seat waiting for Gavin to rescue her. For the most part I liked Shree and admired her surviving her tragic past to make something of her future by juggling work and school. I was frustrated though by the doubts she had of Gavin as he never gave her a reason to fear him or doubt his ability to protect her.

From start to finish this was an engaging story that nicely balanced the suspense with the burgeoning and erotic relationship between Gavin and Shree. Their sexual interludes were scorching and left me parched with their intensity but we're nicely spaced throughout the story to keep them meaningful. Gavin is a wonderful hero with a good heart who always put others first. He's a loyal man who inspires loyalty in others as seen by the secondary characters who aid him in bringing down the bad guy. Shree's a strong-willed heroine whose pigheadedness put her in danger but who still left me rooting for her as her strength continued to shine through even in the face of danger. I enjoyed Charlie and her sweet and endearing connection to Gavin as his honorary sister. She's another strong-willed heroine who I hope to see more of as she never gave in to fear or intimidation. Readers who love erotic tales with combustible interactions and a pulsepounding pace will be drawn to this series starter and clamoring in anticipation for the next installment.
Profile Image for Julie Barrett.
445 reviews8 followers
April 14, 2015
Guarding Midnight is a exciting read that draws the reader in and keeps you gripped right until the end. The plot is exciting with lots of suspense and danger as well as a wonderful romantic storyline that is full of love and lust. I really enjoyed this book, the story flowed really well and the main characters were likable and realistic. This is the first book in the Canadian Muscle series, and I look forward to reading more books in this exciting series.

Shree is running from a dark past and is working as a dancer while she is studying to be a nurse. She is the star attraction at the Vixen Club so she comes to the attention of the criminal mastermind who wants to take over the club. Ex soldier Gavin is brought in to guard Shree and the other dancers and he's instantly attracted to the beautiful, talented star dancer. Can Gavin crack the walls that Shree has built around her heart? And can he keep her safe?

I loved both Gavin and Shree, as well as the supporting characters. Gavin is a tough alpha male who's still recovering from an injury he received in Afghanistan. He is super sexy and ultra protective, he's a character you can't help but fall in love with. Shree has a traumatic past, and she us working hard to overcome that. She is hardworking, talented and is someone I can imagine being friends with. The characters are believable and I instantly connected with them and wanted to keep reading to find out more about them.

The suspense part of the storyline is fantastic. Fast paced, exciting and dangerous it keeps you turning the pages of this wonderful book. This is the first book I've read by this talented author, and it won't be the last. I wholeheartedly recommend this book and give it five out of five stars.

I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for a honest review.
Profile Image for Love Africa Book Club.
449 reviews22 followers
April 25, 2015
Kacey has written a fabulous story filled with fast-paced action and suspense as well as sizzling romance. If you've never fallen in love with a soldier, you will fall in love with Gavin.

Gavin is a soldier who has been retired from active duty following his rescue of three children in Afghanistan and being impacted by an explosive device. Now, his recovering from the permanent physical injury as well as emotional scars. When his best friend asks him to watch over his sister who is being threatened by a local crime boss, Gavin is happy to do something utilising his military skills. He just wants to take care of business and move on. He certainly doesn't expect to fall in love. Until he meet Shree.

Shree is a woman running from her past. She's in a new city and ready to build a new life for herself, by going back to college and getting the qualifications she'd always wanted. Dancing is a way of earning a living and paying her fees until she finishes her studies. She can take care of herself and she certainly doesn't need a a sexy bodyguard watching over her.

These two are thrust together by circumstances beyond their control. They both are not looking for romance but neither can deny the sizzling sexual tension between them. Will it take the actions of a egomaniac to make them see sense?

This book offers passion and suspense. It is also a heartfelt romance about letting go and falling in love. I seriously want some more Canadian Muscles. Fans of romantic suspense will love this one. I do.

4.5 Lovebites
Profile Image for Chantale Canadian Book Addict.
1,139 reviews69 followers
April 4, 2015
I had never read anything by Kacey Hammell before but this book sounded great so I just couldn't wait to read it.

This is a sexy and quick read (at about 132 pages) that sure kept me reading and I didn't want to put it down. Good thing this book isn't a long one because I ended up starting it at around 10pm and I just couldn't stop reading.

Guarding Midnight is very well written with amazing plot and story line.

I highly recommend this.

Profile Image for S.J..
Author 14 books121 followers
April 1, 2015
This is a book that will consume you. So good! The characters grabbed my interest immediately and I couldn't put the book down. I had to know what happens. From that sensual first kiss through terrifying suspense filled moments, Kacey Hammell's writing will pull you in. This is a must read. I'm definitely looking forward to more Canadian Muscle.
April 23, 2015
This sexy read is not only faced paced, but full of suspenseful action. Ms. Hammell quickly draws you in with complex characters, and a plot that sneaks up on you. I read this novella on my flight home from Ottawa which is one sitting. If you're on the hunt for a series that's hot, edgy, and a dose of suspense, you'll want to read this book!
Profile Image for Kayleigh Malcolm.
Author 17 books21 followers
April 10, 2015
I fully admit I bought this book because of the cover. Happily, the story inside was just as hot :)
The story is fast paced, the characters are well rounded and believable. I thoroughly enjoyed this and am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Profile Image for Shirley.
12 reviews
July 15, 2015
I really enjoyed this book. This story sucks you in. Throw in a sexy good guy who comes to the rescue of women in
Distressed, then throw in some really bad guys and a few more good guys you then have Guarding Midnight.
Looking forward to more stories from Canadian Muscle men.
Profile Image for Andrzejewski Amy.
384 reviews3 followers
December 4, 2017
This is the first book ive read of Kacey Hammel's. Fornit being a novella it was load full of lots of suspense, romance and spicy hot sex. Its had to be one of the best contemporary romance's I've read in a while.
Gavin was an injured army vet working as security at his friends sister's erotic dance club. When Gavin began working he had no idea what he was getting into. He knew he was there to protect the Midnight, main star and Charlotte aka Charlie from uncertain terror. Hagen who was pushing to buy the club from Charlie. His goons who were pushing drugs. He didn't expect to fall head over heels in love.
Shree came from the world of hard knocks. The last man she fell thought she was in love with beat and raped her. Shree couldn't take the abuse anymore and left to follow her dreams. Shree found a job entertaining then started school for nursing. Charlie was looking for a star to help with business. She came upon Shree. Shree danced under the alias Midnight. When she saw Gavin, she fell in love with what she saw.
As they got to know each other and learned what each endured through past experiences they fell in love. Their love was so strong that nothing would get in the way.
Gavin had friends that helped take Hagan out.
This book is a must read.
Profile Image for Monica.
2,040 reviews17 followers
December 2, 2017
I received a free copy of this book from the author.

I'm not familiar with this author and don't read Contemporary all that often. However, I did enjoy this book and it was entertaining and read in 1 sitting. I've read a few bodyguard/dancer books over the years and this was a bit different and I really liked it. Gaven and Shree have had a time of it in their own pasts which kinda made them perfect for each other and together they can overcome their pasts and get through the s*** storm they are currently dealing with. The love scenes were well written. Who doesn't love a holy hottness love scene? :) Definitely worth a gander.
Profile Image for Vickie Chaisson.
637 reviews5 followers
December 6, 2017
Guarding Midnight has some of the best characters I've read lately. You have the recently retired due to injury military man Gavin, the exotic dancer Shree aka "Midnight" , club owner Charlie and some really nasty bad guys.
The chemistry between the main characters is off the chart. They both know better but they cannot stay apart and their relationship builds at a steady pace. The suspense level and the escalating danger to all the characters keeps the story moving along. I will admit I had a hard time putting this book down. I enjoyed it immensely and I will be reading more books by this author.
Profile Image for Jill.
491 reviews
November 28, 2017
This story was full of suspense, mystery and a hot couple. Gavin and Shree both have traumatic pasts that they can't escape but maybe together they can overcome it. That is until someone wants to take over the club they both work at ad threaten everything. Shree and Gavin didn't expect to fall in love but sometimes the best things happen when you don't want them to or when you stop looking. I couldn't put this book down until I finished it and need to go read the next one right now!!!

I received a free copy of this book from the author
317 reviews
November 29, 2017
If you love a wounded hot alpha ex military romance with some suspense in it this book is for you. This was my first book by this author and I really enjoyed it. Not only did we have strong alpha males but the female characters we're all so strong. While this was a novella the author did a great job it's still having a full and complete story. If you're looking for a short read that feels like a full-length novel with some hot characters and some suspense you will want this book.
Profile Image for Kristine .
1,702 reviews11 followers
December 2, 2017
I really enjoyed this book,. The author blends romance, and suspense to create a captivating story that I couldn’t put down. The characters are complex as believable. I look forward to reading more in this series.

I received a copy of this book from the author, my review has been voluntarily submitted.
Profile Image for Amanda Campbell.
350 reviews1 follower
November 29, 2017
This is my first Kacey Hammell book and I loved it. I loved the chemistry between Gavin and Shree! The story was great, steamy, real and have a few twists I didn't see coming. It is a great start to a series and can not wait to dive into the the rest of the series. Great start to a series!!
December 4, 2017
A sexy suspense romance that left me breathless. I really enjoyed this fast paced story. The characters were enjoyable to read and the tension between them was on fire. I loved how strong willed the characters were they fit perfectly together.
I voluntarily reviewed an arc from the author.
2,617 reviews22 followers
December 12, 2017
this book was amazing! almost brought tears to my eyes. she went through hell now she doesnt trust men. hes fighting his own demons from the war. he is hired to protect her. along the way feelings happen. how far will they go? read to find out.
Profile Image for Tina.
2,564 reviews15 followers
September 11, 2015
Shree has pulled herself up by her bootstraps. She has almost completed getting her nursing degree. She is so close to obtaining the start of her goals she can taste it. She doesn’t have time for love. But meeting Gavin takes her slightly off course. Gavin isn’t looking for love. He is just helping out a friend while he tries to figure out life outside of the military. Especially since an injury cut short the career he saw for himself. Shree isn’t what he expected. And getting her to listen is an even tougher job. Two bullheaded people colliding in the night is what Kacey Hammell gives us with Guarding Midnight. Neither Shree or Gavin were ready for the opportunity a thug had given them, so would they accept the gift or run as far and fast as they could? I enjoyed Shree. She was a hard headed female character who was determined not to lose her hard fought independence. I will admit at times I thought she took her fight a bit too far, but Ms. Hammell did a wonderful job of articulating why she fought so hard. And Gavin was such a brooding character. He had some preconceived notions that were quickly knocked out of him which I enjoyed. He was protective and everything you love about an Alpha male. Seeing him butt heads with Shree one minute and bedding herthe next was interesting to say the least. This is my first time reading Ms. Hammell and I thought she wove and nice tale. It will not be the last time I enter a world she crafts.

Four twinkling Stars
Profile Image for Kali Willows.
Author 46 books93 followers
April 10, 2015
When does a hero stop being a hero? Kacey Hammell pens a gripping tale of a retired soldier, wounded and struggling to find his path once again. When a buddy calls in a favor, he sets out on a new mission that brings him face to face with exquisite beauty, riveting danger and nail biting suspense. The heroine is a survivor of her own accord, has a plan, incredible talent and unwavering determination.
Gavin is a fierce protector whose arms I want to be wrapped in to shelter me from evil. Shree is a strong, glamorous beauty I admire with an honorable career goal. I became instantly invested in them finding a HEA. The additional characters were just as well developed and drew me into Guarding Midnight’s world. Ms. Hammell’s colorful descriptions define the setting and interactions. Her style of writing envelops the reader with non-stop action and steamy sex.
This story had me completely enthralled and desperate to get to the end of how this smoldering tale could possibly end. The hurdles and hindrances are relentless, the danger eminent, and yet, the blossoming attraction is sweet, touching, but also powerful and intoxicating. Well done Ms. Hammell! I will be reading more of your work, without a doubt.
Profile Image for Lisa.
176 reviews28 followers
February 2, 2016
this book is good ... it's not a full length book but it is a complete story!
I bought this for several reasons ... I love finding and supporting CANADIAN romance authors
and the synopsis was exciting, thrilling, sexy!
honestly, I was hoping for more from this story ... it was entertaining but I was a little let down! not sure I can explain that without spoilers so lets leave it at that.
I wasn't enamored by the characters ... the sexual relationship or the storyline ..
maybe if it had of been a full length book the characters and story would have been more complex and thrilling...even the sex fell flat for me!
I know this sounds like a negative review but its not ...this author has great potential and I'd read more from her in the future ... I was just hoping for more
Profile Image for Jessica Subject.
Author 61 books393 followers
May 13, 2015
This is a fabulous story filled with edge-of-your-seat suspense and pure, raw sexiness. I enjoyed this title from beginning to end. And the playful banter between Gavin and Shree seemed so realistic. Since this is the first title in the Canadian Muscle series, I will definitely be buying the next. Can't wait!
Profile Image for Michelle Roth.
Author 11 books62 followers
January 6, 2016
This was a sexy, fast paced thriller of a book. I loved the fact that neither the hero or heroine were picture perfect. They both had pasts, so even while they were fighting something outside of themselves, it was fulfilling to watch them battle their own demons. I highly recommend this book <3
Profile Image for Amy Miller.
3,414 reviews27 followers
July 9, 2015
I enjoyed this story. The characters were amazing and the suspense throughout the book held me on edge. A definite must read!
Displaying 1 - 24 of 24 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.