Start by marking “Paper in the Wind” as Want to Read:
Paper in the Wind

Paper in the Wind

Librarian Note: Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN: B00Q1IGSH4.

Paper in the Wind is a compassionate and riveting story depicting a single father’s dedication to his daughter. In the midst of the overwhelming struggles that accompanied autism, he continues to persevere. Her father’s love enabled her to overcome insurmountable obstacles, discovered the power of love and embrac
Published March 19th 2015 (first published November 22nd 2014)

Start your review of Paper in the Wind
Briar's Reviews
"I came to the realization that a diagnosis of autism is not the end of the dreams that parents envision for their child. Have the courage to dream another dream and by the grace of God, your child will find the strength to embrace the gift of life and rise above their circumstances." - Olivia Mason-Charles

Book Title: Paper in the Wind: Peeling back the lifespan of autism in the wake of tragedy
Book Author: Olivia Mason-Charles

Introduction: I was approached by Olivia Mason-Charles to review her b
Thomas Edmund
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm not going to lie, I read this book like it was a true story, the way it was presented with almost brutal honesty I was expecting to write a review thanking the author for (his) candor and honesty!

While Paper in the Wind is a fictional account Mason-Charles is quite sneakily skilful in creating a simple narrative that very much sounds true, and is probably pretty accurate to many families. Paper in the Wind is a quick read but quite powerful in nature which I appreciated because one doesn't n
Jack Hardy
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for everyone -
Laurie
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded Paper in the Wind to my kindle and read it quickly, but I found the writing to be awkward at times, and the characters are stereotypical. Written in a format that suggests it is a true story, this book describes a single father raising a young daughter with autism. The story cover the struggles that he and his daughter face dealing with her autism, but the story over simplifies many of the issues that families face when dealing with the reality of autism spectrum disorders.
Wulfwyn
Dec 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a fictional book about autism. The author states her child has autism which contributes to the realism.
With books such as this one, my reviews are personal. I can't help that as I know what it is like when you have a child who seems to always be awake. I know the terror of a child who has no concept of danger and doesn't verbalize his pain. I know the difficulty of a child melting down horribly in public. I know the pain of hearing comments such as, "that child needs discipline," or "th
Jan Sikes
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paper in the Wind is a deeply personal look into the life of a parent with an autistic child. It delves into the many varied challenges the parent faces as well as the child. This is a sensitive subject and the intensity of it comes across in this book. It is an easy read and you'll be pulled along with one tragedy or triumph after another as this single father goes to any length to provide for his Autistic daughter's every need.
Adam Que
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read! Simply a story showing how the power of family can always prevail and the essence of love, which is wrapped around the struggles of autism. From beginning to end it is engaging and heartfelt!
My favorite part: When Alexa broke her arm because she was being bullied, due to the fact she had a strong relationship with Johnathan. Thus this prompted Alexa's father to stop Alexa and Johnathan's friendship. However, no matter what Alexa still went over to Johnathan's house to slip
P.S. Winn
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a heart touching story of not only dealing with autism, but a lot of other heart wrenching aspects of life. I think the story was well written as the reader gets a glimpse into the life of a father who is trying to do the best he can under a lot of strain as ife hands him one challenge after another. The book will take readers on a journey they won't soon forget.
Karen Ingalls
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.0 out of 5 starsInteresting
ByKAREN INGALLSon January 14, 2017
Verified Purchase
This is a most interesting read about autism, which is a subject I knew little about. The story line is great, but I believe it needs some work by an editor to make the reading more smooth. This is the first book by this author I have read, but I certainly am interested in reading other books.
Denise
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

My son is 13 and has HFA. This book gave me the hope he'll find his way in the world and be happy. Must read for everyone, no matter if you have a child with autism or not.
Deliaria Davis
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just wow.

I have an autistic son and this really opens my eyes to what can be accomplished with him and what he is going through.
Yairy
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic and touching story!

I loved it and highly recommend it to parents of autistic children or of any child disabled or not your children are amazing in their ow way.
Leticia
I received this eBook from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I like to accept and choose books that sometimes is outside of my normal reading interests. Sometimes this is a hit and a miss.

I know a little about autism as one of my close friends is autistic. So at the very basic core of this story, I understood the struggle that the father had, throughout his and his daughter’s life.

However, I found that this style of writing to be too simplistic. The story is told through the eyes of t
Natalie Ducey
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first heard of the book “Paper in the Wind,” and after reading some of the reviews, I was of the understanding that this was a true story. It’s actually listed in the Non-Fiction category. However, as I began to read the book, I discovered in the foreword that this is a work of fiction. Regardless, the message is powerful and poignant, and stays with you long after you finish.

Author, Olivia Mason-Charles, captivates readers as she pens a riveting story depicting a single father’s dedicat
Danielle
Aug 15, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, kindle
This was a very short free Kindle book I’ve had for awhile. The beginning was a bit unorganized and hard to follow. Once I was about halfway through it started to make more sense, but the story itself was dull. While this was fictional, I cannot neglect to say so many families who have Autistic family members attempt some of the very controversial therapies in hopes to “make their Autistic child/adult be normal.” I don’t think they realize the harm that some of these cause long term. Also, the m ...more
Tara Neale
Oct 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a horrid story

I don't give 1 star reviews. But I did this time. This is the worst and most alarming view of autism I have ever seen. I could not even finish the first chapter. The portrayal of autism as justifying a lonely and abandoned wife's suicide and murder of her autistic child is pathetic. And the father that abandoned her and refused to co-parent his autistic children as the hero...the single father that have his all for his one remaining child, whom he then tried to 'fix' is a diss
Shirley
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
Absolutely Enchanting

The story sheds hope on Autism as told through the lives of a father & daughter and their journey of hope through all of it. I sometimes got lost in who was telling the story and whose name belong to whom. That may have been just me but other than that, it was an inspirational and enjoyable read. Having had a retarded brother (they weren't using the term "autism" back then) I can believe that there is something in there trying to get out. Thanks to the author for sharing thi
Jane Blanchard
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Paper in the Wind: Peeling back the lifespan of autism by Olivia Mason-Charles is a novel based on her own experiences. Though it is more a memoir than a how-to, the book succeeds in educating people about autism, giving testimony to therapies with which she had success, and honoring the strides that her daughter accomplished. What I enjoyed the post was the undying support of family and the positive effect social acceptance had on Alexa.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who knows an autist
Elizabeth Maher
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written book!

This is a great book that is inspirational as well bring tears to your eyes. I would like to thank the author for sharing his family's trials, tribulations and most of all their glorious victories! Being different is just another word for unique! God bless you and your family! You are all truly blessed. Thank you again! Well written, concise, and really a book that everyone should read!
Yvonne Simpson
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Insight to Autism

Although I don't know anyone with Autism, I found this book to be very educational on Autism. I would recommend this book to Anyone! It gives great information to parents that have child with Autism and very good information to parents with children that have Autism, like different ways to communicate, diagnose different things that could be wrong and what to do about it.
Dorothy Bennett
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a mesmerizing true account of a father's view of bringing up an autism child, mostly as a single parent. It is an enlightening story for those of us who have not had this experience but wonder what it must be like and what can be done to help families dealing with this difficult and complex issue. PAPER IN THE WIND is a truly amazing and engaging story, concisely told yet touchingly presented. I highly recommend this book.
Heather  Morgan
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick interesting read

The story is written as one thinks- at a constantly changing train of thought. But through it, you can read the unconditional love a father has for his daughter. Their past may be full of heartache but it moves on into a bright path with joy. I will happily re-read this.
Deanna Masotti
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every time I put this story down, I couldn't wait to get back to it. I made me laugh, cry, and renew my faith in humanity. An eye-opening look at the struggles faced with when raising an autistic child and the courage to forgive and try every day.
Srijana
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
#Read-o-rama readathon : short book with less than 150 pages

I would never have read the book had it not been for the readathon and I'm so glad I did. Would recommend this to anyone who wants to read a meaningful, poignant story with a message of hope.
Zara
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just get the Kleenx!

Quick read that could change your life. It may the very thing that makes a parent hang on just one more day and try one more treatment for the sake of the love of their life. Kudos!
Zoe Jussel
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A single man raising an autistic child and the accompanying challenges. Gives food for thought, and both poignant and heartwarming.
Kathy Walsh
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This book is a very quick read - I read it in an afternoon. It does read like a true life story ... I really didn't remember that it was fiction until I saw the authors name.
Robert E.
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tear-jerker and Uplifting

As a parent, I feel for the families. I share their pain and happiness. I think this will help more people think differently about autism.
Mary Ann
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, non-fiction, 2016
This should be required reading beginning with anyone in education and continuing on to those who want to make the world a better place. Telling the story of a long fought battle, successfully won, covers the years of a single father fighting to protect his autistic daughter and yet enable her to achieve beyond the boundaries set by others in the educational environment. It is a sad commentary that I was 40 before I was even exposed to any knowledge of autism. Thankfully the district I worked fo ...more
Pamela
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. I found it very well written and it opened my eyes to autism. I found in this book with Alexa's therapy and all her friends and accomplishments that she blossomed in a great woman to lead a normal life tho it took alot of hard work and her therapy to do so.it also took alot of strength and patience on her father's end as well being a single dad. I would recommend this book for anyone that knows a child that has autism, or to just read about it and what these children are lik ...more
Marriage and Chronic Illness 1 1 Dec 19, 2016 06:10AM

• Light from a Distant Star
  • Have You Seen Luis Velez?
  • A Blessing in Disguise
  • Beginning (Anna's Legacy, #1)
  • Last Things
  • I Looked Away
  • Bells Above Greens
  • Awaken (Awakened Fate #1)
  • Killer Cougar : The True Story of Serial Killer Sheila LaBarre
  • BEHIND CLOSED DOORS: A Daughter's Story
  • Killing Buddha
  • All Eyes on Me (Miranda and Parker Mystery #1)
  • Grudging: Birth of Saints Book One
  • Someone Else's Baby
  • On Raspberry Lane
  • The MouseDoor
  • Beneath these Stars (Lucy Mitchell Book 2)
  • The Snow Bride (The Knight and the Witch, #1)