Start by marking “The Book of Dialogue: How to Write Effective Conversation in Fiction, Screenplays, Drama, and Poetry” as Want to Read:

2.7  ·  Rating details ·  10 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Originally published in 1989, this revised and expanded edition focuses on the art and craft of writing effective dialogue in fiction, cinema, television, drama, radio, and poetry.
Turco's unique technique teaches by showing: he creates a Socratic dialogue as the form of the book itself. Says the author, -Plato wrote lies in order to tell the truth. That's what a fiction w
Published January 1st 2004 by University Press of New England (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Dialogue

Jennifer Worrell
Jun 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: craft
NO. This is the most irritating self-help book on dialogue. It's for people who can't afford a class but want to do things the hard way. It's hard to follow, written all in dialogue with a character that doesn't exist, and it includes excerpts that go on forever. It's the writing instruction book equivalent of the William Shunn manuscript format guide (http://www.shunn.net/format/story.html) I wanted to throw it through a wall. Here's the best thing I learned, a nice, succinct definition:
Dialog
Raelee Carpenter
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it
This tome is rather high-minded, concept-driven, and technical. I would not suggest it to writers of genre fiction as most of the material is not applicable in a practical way in that field.
Eric Wynn
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a writer, I am gleaning some new ideas for my work from this book. It has held my intrests so far, and I continue to press forward looking for those golden nuggest of knowledge that are hidden among the pages.
L.M. Elm
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Thought the use of Socratic method was a little too over the top for me. I found my self cringing at his narrator. There are better books about dialogue out there. This one just isn't one of them.
Ana Lydia Ochoa-Monaco
rated it did not like it
Dec 21, 2016